Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It was a good movie and very enjoyable.

The metaphor that the movie is based on doesn't hold up under a lot of scrutiny but as long as you're not really worried about the whys and hows of the emotions and the girl and their impacts on one another and just kind of roll with it you'll have a good time. I thought the climax was kind of poorly done, it feels like a first draft they never went back and rewrote to be more logical (or something added at the behest of focus testing groups maybe?). But it's a good movie even with that problem. Better than Brave I think, which I also enjoyed but found kind of boring. Not as good as Up or Wall-E but it's solid.

As someone currently struggling with depression, who's moved a lot of times in their life and dealt with a lot of frustrating unexpected life changes, I found a lot to empathize with in this movie. But I don't think you need to be suffering a mental illness to find the story easy to identify with. Everyone's kind of been through these sort of 'resets', moving and starting over and struggling with it. Some people say the movie's message is a little muddled, but I basically found it to be "embrace all of yourself, it's okay to cry, forcing yourself to feign happiness will just make things worse". Which is a pretty nice thing to make a movie about, particularly since kids don't see a lot of messages about how it's okay to be angry and sad and stuff. Mostly just vague 'be yourself!' things which thankfully this movie isn't about.

My 8 year old sister loves the characters, mostly Joy. I think Disgust probably was my favorite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Uncle Wemus posted:

peoples strong negative reaction to Lava is really baffling

it's really bad though

usually the shorts before the movies are super enjoyable, tightly crafted little things

Lava was just slow, repetitive, boring garbage

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I went to the movie with a 8 year old(my little sister), a 7 year old, a 6 year old and a 4 year old(my brother's kids) and they all loved the movie. They laughed at basically all the jokes and they were all talking about who their favorite character was after the movie (the 4 year old liked Sadness because she thought she would be a cuddly doll, the 6 year old liked Bing-Bong because he's silly, and the 7 and 8 year olds liked Joy the most because she was fun). They thought the tripledent gum thing was hilarious, that got big laughs every time it happened.

Different kids are going to have different responses to the movie, and I'm sure some will find it boring, but that wasn't a problem when I went at least. They all enjoyed the Lava short a lot too.

• Locked thread