Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

This film could have also used a ton more exploration of the other emotions. Wouldn't it be nice to show how Anger can drive success? Or how Disgust keeps you alive by pushing away unfamiliar things (i.e. not broccoli). It's messed up that this film conveys that Sadness is okay but then suggests Anger, Fear, and Disgust are just garbage emotions that ruin social interaction.

We saw how Fear was briefly useful when Riley was a toddler but that's about it. Entire section where she's a trainwreck, it's all the work of these three emotions.

This came up a little bit both at the beginning and the end of the movie -- specifically at the end, doesn't Anger say something that indicates he's going to help Riley to be aggressive during the hockey game?

Anyway, I think the film was really focused on selling the idea that sadness is a necessary and useful emotion, and should not be suppressed or pushed away.

One clever point that I only realized after watching the movie is how they showed Riley's parents' emotions working together as teams, while Riley's emotions tend to bicker and disagree and shove one another. It's a nice illustration of the concept of emotional maturity.

As for the gender argument going on in this thread, perhaps some of these questions will be answered in the upcoming short film "Riley's First Date" (which I am not making up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

A kid isn't going to care.

I'm guessing you didn't move (far away from home, at least) when you were that age. They care a whole lot.

Edit: Oh, you meant she wouldn't care about the rent issue ... sorry. That's undoubtedly true. One's parents' money situation tends to be mysterious voodoo stuff until you move out on your own and finally realize how money actually works.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 1, 2015

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

I'd care about what it looked like, not what its market value was.

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your post – I thought you meant that kids don't care about being moved far away from their hometowns.

They do care about that, obviously, that's kind of an essential plot point of the movie. Would be very hard to find a kid that cares about real estate values though

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

But then the "You ruined pizza!" scene couldn't have happened.

Agreed – that would have instead been a scene of Joy saying, "Congratulations, Brooklyn – you have made pizza… unbelievably awesome!"

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It would've been okay by most of us legendarily-tolerant goons, but culture (both in the US and elsewhere) has not advanced to the point where Pixar/Disney would be willing to risk courting that level of controversy.

What I thought was really neat about the film from a gender perspective, though, is that it had a girl protagonist who was not a princess, and who was neither super-girly nor a stereotypical "tomboy", but was just ... a human, with a lot in common with the little humans who are seeing this movie with their parents. That's pretty cool, and also pretty rare. Lilo and Coraline come to mind, but I couldn't think of any others.

It was also very cool that being athletic was central to her personality, and that they conveyed the message that loving your sport is key, rather than falling into clichés about the Big Game, the Hated Rival(s), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Madurai posted:

Johnny Rotten specifically said that Anger is.

On the other hand, Joe Strummer suggested that Anger can be Power.

• Locked thread