Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I rewatched the movie, and I guess the stuff I read in the animation thread influenced me because I realized my initial judgment was indeed more cynical than the movie lends itself. At first I felt that their was a disconnect between the emotions and Riley as a character since I originally thought that Riley had absolutely no agency, but after people pointed some stuff out I finally got that they're actually one and the same.

Of note the part that really caught me this time around was when I truly understood the significance behind all the islands falling apart. They weren't just merely flashy action scenes, Riley was literally destroying her core values; those islands as they were before would never ever come back the same. It really brought home the idea of actual loss and though the final final moment is happy, the scenes before that where Riley creates her first truly bittersweet core memory really nailed it for me. The fact that the islands that replace the wrecked versions are noticeably different really drove home the point that this truly is a complete example of bittersweet: the Riley she was before is gone forever, but the catharsis from her regaining control will help her rebuild herself and ultimately become a much more faceted person overall.

Bing Bong and Lewis Black were still the best parts of the movie though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Steve Yun posted:

You guys literally just watched a movie where an 11 year old girl fantasizes about her Ideal Canadian Boyfriend and it doesn't even register a blip on your radar, but when I bring up even the possibility of said 11 year old girl having similar feelings for a girl, you're all up in arms about how it's "creepy" and "highly sexual."

I'm not the one with creepy opinions here.

• Locked thread