Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not all depression is chronic, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Emotions are sexless. I think that they were gendered primarily for the sake of characterization shorthand and variety, as at no point does their gender have a bearing on anything.

The glimpses we saw into other headquarters showed emotions that were dominated by the mannerisms of whomever they were driving - I think as a means to distinguish e.g. Mom's Joy from Riley's Joy, and possibly also to suggest that they were more in concert than the emotions of a child. It also establishes that the emotions are still essentially who they are and perform the same functions irrespective of gender. At most it could be interpreted as more mature people tending to have a more firmly established notion of their own gender.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 28, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vegetable posted:

This film could have also used a ton more exploration of the other emotions. Wouldn't it be nice to show how Anger can drive success? Or how Disgust keeps you alive by pushing away unfamiliar things (i.e. not broccoli). It's messed up that this film conveys that Sadness is okay but then suggests Anger, Fear, and Disgust are just garbage emotions that ruin social interaction.

We saw how Fear was briefly useful when Riley was a toddler but that's about it. Entire section where she's a trainwreck, it's all the work of these three emotions.

The opening monologue was about this. Joy respects Fear and Disgust for protecting Riley, and Anger for having a strong sense of justice, but does not know what Sadness has to contribute. And at the end, they've all been more integrated into the islands.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The emotions are gendered not sexed. There's an important difference which you can't afford to overlook if you're going down that path, Steve Yun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Dream Boyfriend Machine is a brand new addition to Riley's imagination, and like Bing Bong and all other things she is capable of imagining (that's what Imagination Land is - things she can think, not things she is currently thinking), will be discarded when she has outgrown it. The clones it makes reflect her immature, explicitly prepubescent understanding of intimacy, but there are a fair amount of settings on the machine - and machines of the mind get upgraded, like the control panel, when some new development requires them to be more capable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Drifter posted:

No, but the jellybeans always had a purpose. I don't think there was ever a time when one was out of work or whatever. None of anyone was ever downsized as a result of what Riley was going through.

Not the mind workers, but unneeded thoughts were often thrown into the memory hole.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're creeped out by the possibility of other goons never shutting the gently caress up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Good, sure.

But cool? You'd be hard-pressed to find a more square motion picture from recent years. Maybe Aloha is less hip.

Speaking as a square, this is the quality of the film that I perhaps enjoyed most.

• Locked thread