Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it was pretty good and am surprised it got made because the kids we saw it with were just totally confused the whole time. It wasn't as good as Tangled or Up or WALL-E.

e: that Lava short at the beginning, however, was absolute dogshit and maybe the worst thing I've ever seen in a theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

I like how they sneak in under the radar that Riley is bisexual.

Are you talking about this?

quote:

All of Riley’s mom’s emotions are female. All her father’s are male. All the teacher’s are female. The ending sequence went by so fast that I didn’t note the genders of the other characters (except the bus driver’s, who were definitely all male.)

But Riley’s are three female, two male. Does that indicate something about her future sexual personality?

Because otherwise I don't know where you got that from.

I got a chuckle out of the Imaginary Boyfriend being from Canada.

Also Amy Poehler is the reason I saw this movie at all and she did not disappoint, I would watch a direct to video sequel that just starred Joy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love some good old death of the author subtextual analysis as much as anyone but I think "Riley is bisexual" is reeeeeeeally reaching and also not even worth discussing because it has no bearing on the themes of the film at all. :shrug:

Hakkesshu posted:

Let's talk more about the sexual proclivities of an 11-year old girl

Exactly. It's kind of creepy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It could be about what I thought this movie was gonna be: the emotions escape from her head and have to find their way back (Inside Out, get it)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Dumbledore being gay wasn't important to the plot of Harry Potter either but it's kind of nice as a symbol of a more inclusive world.

Dumbledore, contrary to what some people would like to believe, wasn't an 11 year old girl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

You guys literally just watched a movie where an 11 year old girl fantasizes about her Ideal Canadian Boyfriend and it doesn't even register a blip on your radar, but when I bring up even the possibility of said 11 year old girl having similar feelings for a girl, you're all up in arms about how it's "creepy" and "highly sexual."

I don't think you understood that the Ideal Canadian Boyfriend was entirely sexless and, for the purposes of your reading, genderless as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

You've posted a bunch of new words that don't fix the problems with your previous words. You're still saying that her attraction for a boy can be sexless and genderless and not icky and gross but that same feelings for a girl would be icky and gross and creepy and can't be genderless or sexless.

No I'm not. If she had an Ideal Canadian Girlfriend I wouldn't think anything of it. I especially wouldn't think that it meant she was a lesbian. That's how a sexless fantasy works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I've been owned because I'm not sexualizing a children's movie?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

It's plain that you have double standards and get grossed out at the idea of a girl liking other girls

I'm a bisexual dude, my fiance is a bisexual chick, almost literally everyone I know identifies as either gay or bisexual, but yeah, sure, okay. Let's go with that.

I think what you're not getting is that I don't so much disagree with you as that I find the entire discussion you're having to be unnecessary. Riley is 11, she's not gay or bisexual or straight or anything yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surlaw posted:

kids don't know if they like boys or girls by the time they're 12

Correct. For many people sexual orientation is fluid and undefined until they're in their late teens.

Turns out growing up is super confusing!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surlaw posted:

Yeah, and for many other people it's really definitely not.

Studies have consistently shown that large numbers - even majorities in some studies - of men who identify as straight had consensual gay experiences in their teens. And vice versa. :shrug:

Sexuality is a complicated thing!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Madurai posted:

This seems like it's being aimed directly at either parents and/or people with fond memories of childhood. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I don't see that it would offer much to, say, an 11-year-old watching it. I mean, there's some funny slapstick, and some wacky character designs, but it doesn't seem like it would really grab a kid who's actually living through what's being portrayed. Do any goons with spawn have any kid reactions?

I think you're more right than not, we saw it in a theater full of sub-11 year olds (I'd say most were in the 7-10 range) and they were confused/bored a lot and didn't seem to really love it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't remember the kids laughing at that specific joke, though adults definitely did. I think it's more of an adult thing to hate jingles that get stuck in your head, whereas kids (in my experience as a big brother, father, and uncle) sometimes, for whatever reason, love those stupid jingles and sing them all the time.

So I took it more of a joke about something kids do that adults don't understand/find annoying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sorry, but anyone who enjoyed Lava needs to be examined at length by a psychologist. It sounded like what Iron & Wine might do after being lobotomized.

e: poo poo, that's exactly what it was - "Such Great Heights" as written by Hallmark

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KirbyKhan posted:

Sidenote: 11 year old niece's opinion on the SF townhouse: ew yucky. 25 year old me's opinion on the SF townhouse: That is a loving mansion in downtown SF, this lil girl dont know how good she got.

Yeah that was kind of crazy to me. Their townhouse was clearly supposed to be among all those townhouses that are right off Haight (or similar neighborhood) but the girl reacted as if they'd moved into a roach-filled apartment in The Mission (that still costs $1000/month).

e: although I guess it's possible that was the joke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

I honestly don't think it's a joke. I mean, I live in California and am well aware of housing costs et cetera. I just don't think there was a joke there to be had. A kid isn't going to care. And I don't really think it could even be a hidden 'adult' joke, because okay, so what, they live in a potentially expensive place and...their daughter is unhappy by the move, ha ha ha?

I didn't think it was a "joke" in the sense that it was supposed to provoke like, actual laughs, but I do think that it was a kind of Easter Egg for adults who have lived in or around metro California. They certainly went to more trouble than they had to to make their townhouse look like a very specific (and very expensive) neighborhood.

It's not that I expected Riley to know it was expensive, or expected her to react positively, I just was agreeing with the guy who said that since I've lived there I was like "holy poo poo I'd kill for that place".

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I think it is reasonable that an 11 year old girl didn't research comparative rents in the region that her family moved her to

Chicken Butt posted:

Edit: Oh, you meant she wouldn't care about the rent issue ... sorry. That's undoubtedly true. One's parents' money situation tends to be mysterious voodoo stuff until you move out on your own and finally realize how money actually works.

Surlaw posted:

With the concern over whether Riley properly understands the real estate market I'm now pretty sure that goons aren't born, but emerge fully grown from fluid sacs.

And I'm pretty sure that goons extrapolate the most ridiculous extreme position possible from every post.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

The joke is that the new house is a shithole.

The meta-joke is that adults are willing to pay millions of dollars to live in a shithole.

If they were going with that they should have had them move into Brooklyn then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good point, California ruining pizza was one of the funniest parts of the movie because it is so, so loving true.

That said there is one pizza joint in San Diego that I've found that actually totally rocks and is two blocks from our apartment. Surf Rider Pizza, check it out!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

the idea that a child being LGBT and aware of said LGBT-ness is somehow creepy needs to die yesterday, regardless of whether it applies to this movie.

def want a Sadness plush though

Sadness reminded my fiance and I way too much of a goth girl she knows that's always relishing her awful moods. Kinda soured us both on the character. Sadness is also the image that pops in my head of Lena in the new Irvine Welsh novel.

Anyway, though, I don't think an 11 year old being gay or aware of gayness is inherently creepy, I just don't think it happened in this movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aside from being terrible, I'm not even sure what the message of Lava was intended to be. "True love will find you, if you just sit and wait until you're basically dead and complain about it"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why is Joy fuzzy anyway?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They're muppets with felt skin and and sparkly string for hair.

In Joy's case it was way more noticeable. I think it was supposed to look like she had bubbles coming off her. Bubbling with joy. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Das Boo posted:

All the emotions' skins were somewhat amorphous, with sparkly bits floating off and shifting about, but it was most noticeable on Joy because she glows brighter than the others. There's a soft light with the rest, but Joy seriously illuminates the space around her. I spent a poo poo-ton of the movie wondering how that skin texture worked in modeling.

Same. It made them look kind of creepy, alien, and cute all at once. Whoever thought that idea up, good job.

• Locked thread