Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The old thread was archived, so here's a new one!

It's pretty damned hot this week and today is still supposed to be 100+ degrees so I don't know how long it'll be up...but for now the cam is running!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

The angle is a bit different, it's showing the other side of the coop/run today (and some of our new trees & shrubs--!). We're trying to set it up where they've been hanging out. Also, we have some watermelon we're going to put out in a bit!

Come see some hot chicks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: Missed that one but i'm ready now.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Ooooh, shiny new thread! VS, what's the fire situation? Unlike certain other posters, I do NOT want you to have to bring your chickens inside because I care about your sanity and the welfare of your dining room furniture >_>

(No, really, if they have to come in I will engage in schadenfreude like the rest of us, and giggle, and be glad that you are such a considerate chicken-owner as to let us all watch your misadventures)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Faerunner posted:

Ooooh, shiny new thread! VS, what's the fire situation? Unlike certain other posters, I do NOT want you to have to bring your chickens inside because I care about your sanity and the welfare of your dining room furniture >_>

(No, really, if they have to come in I will engage in schadenfreude like the rest of us, and giggle, and be glad that you are such a considerate chicken-owner as to let us all watch your misadventures)

The Washington fire (the one 20 miles from us, now at 17,800 acres) is now something like 90% contained, so it's doing well. Of course this is thunderstorm season with tons of lightning strikes all around, so new fires occur daily. But so far, so good!

I have no desire to have 63 chickens in my house, either.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I have no desire to have 63 chickens in my house, either.
Sixty three?! Holy cow, that's amazing / insanity in equal measure!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: If you end up having to keep all 63 inside the house this summer, you definitely should charge admission! :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Again, no Chickam today, sorry...major thunderstorming going on here today. They say this horrid weather is gonna gently caress off next week. Can't wait.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam up this morning just for fun. Clear skies for now and not too hot yet.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp, this week we've successfully rehomed 10 of the chicks, plus two adult roos--Buzzard, who hatched last year, and Bloop.

Much as I liked Bloop and tried to give him every chance, he never mellowed out. He went to a new home where he'll have some little banty hens to himself and hopefully be a happier little guy.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
WOW! That seems like it worked out well VS! You DID INDEED give Bloop so many chances! It will be different not seeing or hearing his high pitched crowing and bawking. God Speed Bloop. Enjoy all your new ladies!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Whoa!! Congrats!
I'm gonna miss the little Bloop man, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Will miss his screaming though!
Which chicks did you re-home? Do you still have any of the silkie-mixes?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The chicks that we rehomed were: Ham, Ninja, Buttercup, Diane, Tikka, Pluffy, Seagoat, Kevin, Sushi and Theo. All of the others are still with us for now, including Blossom, the last remaining Silkie mix hen.

Things are already MUCH calmer in the flock today with two roos gone!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The chicks that we rehomed were: Ham, Ninja, Buttercup, Diane, Tikka, Pluffy, Seagoat, Kevin, Sushi and Theo. All of the others are still with us for now, including Blossom, the last remaining Silkie mix hen.

Things are already MUCH calmer in the flock today with two roos gone!

That's good to hear!
Oh...Blossom, grow up big and strong, ok?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No thunderstorms today...yet...so the cam is running!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

No thunderstorms today...yet...so the cam is running!

WOW! Am I crazy? It seems so quiet with no Bloop. I can actually hear Pidge cooing.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Welp, this week we've successfully rehomed 10 of the chicks, plus two adult roos--Buzzard, who hatched last year, and Bloop.

Much as I liked Bloop and tried to give him every chance, he never mellowed out. He went to a new home where he'll have some little banty hens to himself and hopefully be a happier little guy.

Huh, so what's the pecking order nowadays?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No change for the hens, as far as the roos go it's basically the same, just quieter and much calmer. Cam is Head Roo, then Frosty/Mushroom/Cowbell, then Weedcat. Cam pretty much ignores Weeds and spends his time chasing Frosty, Cowbell and Mushroom, who spend THEIR time chasing each other.

Weeds is the winner by going quietly off to his favorite spot, a large shady area under a big tree (best spot in the yard, with a water dish and the prime deep dustbathing dirt) with his little hen harem and hanging out with them. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

No change for the hens, as far as the roos go it's basically the same, just quieter and much calmer. Cam is Head Roo, then Frosty/Mushroom/Cowbell, then Weedcat. Cam pretty much ignores Weeds and spends his time chasing Frosty, Cowbell and Mushroom, who spend THEIR time chasing each other.

Weeds is the winner by going quietly off to his favorite spot, a large shady area under a big tree (best spot in the yard, with a water dish and the prime deep dustbathing dirt) with his little hen harem and hanging out with them. :keke:

Who belongs to Weeds' hen harem? Who is now Head Hen?

I'm still gonna miss Bloop. I hope he's enjoying his new home.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

"You might be 'head roo' Cam, but I'll always be the king." - Weedcat, HMKFP

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Who belongs to Weeds' hen harem? Who is now Head Hen?

I'm still gonna miss Bloop. I hope he's enjoying his new home.

Weed's Head Hen (main squeeze, actually) is Pie, who is very timid--she is madly in love with him and never leaves his side, gets all upset if another roo chases her and will run back to Weeds. A few of the three year old hens hang out with him as well--Burger, Rambo, Wotsit, Baba, Bob and Elizabeak. Since he's so laid back all of the hens just kinda naturally want to hang with him (especially when he's dustbathing, he's a chick magnet), as do this year's chicks. Cam really only gets jealous if all of the hens in lay are hanging around Weeds.

Pretty much Linc is Head Hen, but isn't the clear leader that our past Head Hens have been--she's too busy looking for food to worry about defending her position or the pecking order.

Weeds tried to defend Pele's honor today when she was being chased by Frosty and accidentally stepped on her head. :facepalm:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Is pele still QUEEN OF THE WILD CHICKENS?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: can you please take some photos of Weeds dustbathing with his ladies? I want to see some chickens in love. :3:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Weed's Head Hen (main squeeze, actually) is Pie, who is very timid--she is madly in love with him and never leaves his side, gets all upset if another roo chases her and will run back to Weeds.

That's my girl :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Is pele still QUEEN OF THE WILD CHICKENS?

Pele is broody right now, so she's HELLQUEEN OF THE WILD CHICKENS. It's like pouring gasoline on a fire. Going by the way everyone runs from her, I'm quite sure Pele can now shoot death rays from her eyes.

I got some pics of Weeds and the girls dustbathing last year: http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/02/spring-is-herefor-today-anyway.html

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 9, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awwww! Those photos were taken over a year ago, but they're still so cute!

I'm so glad you decided to keep Weedcat. The hens need a big, gentle goofball to snuggle with.

Love this photo showing how small the late, great CM Cluck was, especially when compared to Weeds. :3:

Now requesting a photo of a fluffed-up, angry Pele (Hell Queen of the Wild Chickens) shooting death lasers from her eyes. :D

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 24, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Running the cam today since the weather has improved!

The Wheel Of Food (apples) has been placed--it's the first time the chicks have seen it, so there should be loads of staring and alarmed cackling. :derp:

VVV I noticed that, too!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 27, 2015

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

They devoured the red apples first. The predominately green ones are last.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Look ma, no thunderstorms! Cam is running!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Really thunderstormy today, so no Chickam. We'll try for tomorrow!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

YAY! Hoping for good weather on Sunday! :henget:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

YAY! Hoping for good weather on Sunday! :henget:

Really iffy right now, but if it clears this afternoon we'll run the cam. Damned uncooperative weather! :mad:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

There is always another day VS. Don't want you to risk expensive electronic equipment. So sorry about Daphne though.... Hope the rest of the chooks are in great health!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
VS, are all your chickens there? This was in the news today:

Why did the Chicken cross the Bay Bridge?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/09/02/loose-chicken-halts-traffic-at-the-bay-bridge-toll-plaza/

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

VS, are all your chickens there? This was in the news today:

Why did the Chicken cross the Bay Bridge?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/09/02/loose-chicken-halts-traffic-at-the-bay-bridge-toll-plaza/

...and not ONE of these people thought to use the sure-fire chicken catcher: Food.

Wonder if these hens need a home?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam is up!

Kind of hazy due to about a bazillion fires raging in Northern California.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the show today VS I have to help Dad out now. Thanks again!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, the grocery store has pumpkins!

Therefore, tomorrow's Chickam will be broadcast from inside a very large pumpkin. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, the grocery store has pumpkins!

Therefore, tomorrow's Chickam will be broadcast from inside a very large pumpkin. :v:

ooooooh.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

HOORAY FOR PUMPKINS AND CHICKENS! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Finally got the time difference between the UK & USA figured out and am now watching the pumpkin cam being set up!

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 19, 2015

• Locked thread