Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Pumpkincam is set up! Cam is already calling girls over...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I have some little cherry tomatoes I'm gonna roll out there, chicken football coming up!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I'm in, though just about to go to bed. Looks a nice day there.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's windy as all Hell here today so no cam, sorry! We'll try again tomorrow...

Little Cochins are getting blown all over the yard because they won't stay out of the wind, silly chickens.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's windy as all Hell here today so no cam, sorry! We'll try again tomorrow...

Little Cochins are getting blown all over the yard because they won't stay out of the wind, silly chickens.

I picture that, "Watch out for the tumbleweeds 12 String, Uh oh, my mistake, I think that was Molly. I think that was just Olive that blew by now!"

Stay safe VS and Family!,

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The weather is *somewhat* cooperating (it's windy tho), so Chickam will be up in a few! Today with a pumpkin! :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The weather is *somewhat* cooperating (it's windy tho), so Chickam will be up in a few! Today with a pumpkin! :keke:

YAY! There be chickens! :)
awww bok bok bok

edit: 842 pm MDT VS, 12 String and The Kid... thank you so much for the chicken show today :) Mushroom looks HUGE! I thought he was a bantam cochin, am I wrong? Thank you again!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Yes, Mushroom is a bantam Cochin. All those feathers make him look larger than he is. Currently he is running around with a dead mouse he doesn't want to share, and Snakefast is chasing him all over the place. Ick.

We've got a small window of good weather before our winter storm moves in! The cam is up...along with an annual 'special visitor'.

Cam HATES him.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

yay for chickens! I had to buy a new laptop though sigh.... I like the returning visitor ahahahaha Thank you for the show VS!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The outside temperature has finally warmed up, so the cam is up and running! Chicken goodies soon!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
As I mentioned on the cam, a friend of mine is making a webcomic about the last chicken in the universe.

http://www.cluckedcomic.com/

quote:

When a chicken lands on Earth in search of kin, he discovers that not only is his kind considered the tastiest thing in the universe… he’s also the only one left. Can he survive the hungering hordes, cosmic chases and entirety of the Galactic Federation long enough to save his homeworld?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Watching the chickens gobble up some treats... wait, those aren't chickens!

They're quail, complete with diddly-boppers on their heads!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Did VS get quail?!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The quail are wild, they hang out with the chickens all the time. 12-String calls them 'Chickens with funny hats'. :keke:

The kid is lobbying for us to hatch quail next Spring (along with an emu, God help us), I told her they'd probably go wild pretty quick once they were put outside...she says she's OK with it. We'll see.

Don't know what the Hell to think of an emu...

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
More importantly, what would the chickens think of an Emu? :D

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The kid is lobbying for us to hatch quail next Spring (along with an emu, God help us), I told her they'd probably go wild pretty quick once they were put outside...she says she's OK with it. We'll see.

Don't know what the Hell to think of an emu...

What about an angry fuzzy chicken, the Kiwi?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Faerunner posted:

More importantly, what would the chickens think of an Emu? :D

They'd all sit on it when it goes to sleep.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

What about an angry fuzzy chicken, the Kiwi?

I would LOVE to have a kiwi. I'd sit and pet it all day long and get absolutely nothing done.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I would LOVE to have a kiwi. I'd sit and pet it all day long and get absolutely nothing done.

You should get a kiwi, so I can vicariously have a kiwi.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Heavy weather this weekend so no cam, sorry!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The day has warmed up and the cam is on!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the show today VS!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's warmed up enough so that the electronics won't freeze, partially-thawed chickens running around in snow!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's warmed up enough so that the electronics won't freeze, partially-thawed chickens running around in snow!

I was not able to access due to being held hostage at the hospital for 4 freaking days. Nanny WiFi !@#$

Brrrrrrr it's very COLD here though. Hope you are all keeping warm there VS!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up. Weather is a bit sketchy and windy, so the chickens are tending to stay in the run, but they do venture out to bitch about the wind to anyone who will listen.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Prince Fluffypants, aka Cam, now the Head Roo. Beautiful day, but I bet it's sooo cold!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Nice picture of Cam, thanks! :)

Heavy duty winter weather this weekend so no Chickam, sorry!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Meanwhile the East Coast is warmer and drier than it's been in years. I tried to let the girls out after I got home tonight at 4:30... they were already roosted and didn't want to come out. Silly birds and their early bedtime! They'll probably be up and bored at 6am. I hope the weather calms down for you, VS!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No Chickam today due to snow/rain, we'll try for tomorrow, weather permitting! Cochins being blown about in the wind like tumbleweeds today...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well...another weekend of winter, so no Chickam again. It was -1 last night.

Instead, enjoy our foot and a half of snow and giant, gently caress-off icicles!

They're everywhere. On the house...

On the garage...

I especially enjoy the four foot long one on the corner.

Every time I look up there I'm reminded that we get to repaint the eaves come Springtime. :suicide:

The coop and run didn't escape, either.

Cluckadorkle went exploring and stood and simply stared at us when we were yelling, DON'T STAND THERE, YA DUMB BIRD!

Lucky for her the Death Snow Wad did not dump on her little chicken head.

But snow or no snow, Jimmy always has fun!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, Jimmy looks very amused!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
"They don't call me Cluckadorkle for nuthin'!"

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Phaena posted:

"They don't call me Cluckadorkle for nuthin'!"

God drat. :golfclap:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Still in the deep freeze here, no cam today. :mad:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Still winter...so no cam today...although the snow has melted away and at least it's only wind/rain today so we're gettin' there. Better weather and thawed chickens soon, I hope!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Snow is gone, wind is down, temperature is up, so the cam is too!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

12_String posted:

Snow is gone, wind is down, temperature is up, so the cam is too!

It's 22:10 GMT in the UK. Am lying in bed with my Nexus 7 tablet, watching a video feed, over WiFi, from a person in America, because chickens. What an age we live in!

Edit: they've all bundelled out of the run... Must be thinking treats.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's almost time for a new hatch thread... :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Faerunner posted:

It's almost time for a new hatch thread... :henget:

By the way, we talked the other night and have decided that this year's Chickam hatch will be done the old-fashioned way...with a hen! This will make it a bit different as you won't be able the actually SEE the chicks emerge from the shells (mama stays clamped down pretty tightly) but on the plus side, you'll be able to see how a mama hen handles hatching chicks...and watching a broody hen mother chicks is sweet enough to nearly kill you. We plan on setting no more than a mixed variety of 12-14 of our eggs (no mail-order eggs this time) under one of the larger hens (if we have no large broody hens, it'll be a banty with only 5-6 eggs).

It may also mean that the hatch is delayed a month or so beyond the norm--probably around April or May--as we wait for a suitable hen who will stay broody and be a good mama. Of course we will have the ReptiPro running and standing by for any contingency like mama abandoning the eggs/chicks or turning on them for some reason, but it would be very unlikely we'd need it.

Everyone hope for a huge Brahma or Giant Cochin fluffybutt to go broody! :dance:

• Locked thread