Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No. The bay must remain unused. It is the way of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

5 Ton Lady doesn't want to hear any of you all bitching about scraping snow off your windshields.

Ever.

Ready to roll! 5 Ton, Vlolvo, and Jeep with Opel GT in tow.

Out of Colorado's blizzard and...

into Wyoming's. What the gently caress.

<5 Ton Lady> What a day! WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Doccers fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

And what a trip it was.

Starting out, we decided to gas up the entire convoy. That was expensive, and got a lot of funny looks.

Five Ton Lady had some issues with the tarp that required strategic re thinking of where the tie downs and bungies went,

But once we got rolling, everything went pretty much OK.

I felt we should pull off here, overruled. :(

There is a whole hell of a lot of nothing in Wyoming.

Pretty sunsets though.

Trying to park in small towns was interesting. I promise we didnt squish anything.

Montana was neat, and very, very large.

Still Montana. It's very large.

Idaho was not very large.

But it was rather pretty.

coeur d'alene's Holiday Inn was not exactly set up for parking these things, but the staff were very accomodating.

So much so, that the Volvo did not want to leave - The starter finally gave out. :( I never was able to get a spare, So it was time for a push start.

Bwahaha why push when you have a 5 ton to pull start you with? (Five Ton Lady said she could only barely feel it when I dropped the clutch)

Eastern Washington was nice, too.

Goodbye, Tacoma. :|

Hello, Kitsap!

After 4 days of driving, we finally arrive...

with minor property damage,

And drat near stalling out on our driveway. Thing's so damned steep that with the trucks fully loaded, we needed to shift into low range 6x6 just to get up.

But get up we did.

Finally.

InterceptorV8 and you guys who drive for a living, I now have a newfound respect for your profession and for your steely rear end and legs, because holy gently caress I could not move for about an hour after getting out of the cab at the end of this.

and holy poo poo you northwest guys everything is so goddamned green here.

So, Casualties: The Volvo's starter went out. I think I found a place in Tacoma that can rewind it for me. I still need to track down a spare that doesn't cost $1200 dollars.

... Amazingly enough, that is it. Nothing else went wrong during the entire journey, and the starter happened on the very last day, so I was able to just keep it running all the way from Idaho to Kitsap.

The Volvo was not terrible to drive, but I would have loved some power steering and cruise control. Or a sound system. The only thing I had to listen to for 1300 miles was the sound of the B30A engine and the thrum of those 39" off road tires.

Now we need to buy a forklift at this end to unload the 5 ton...

Doccers fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 5, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A forklift, you say?

(milsurp all day erry day)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
For what it's worth there's a junkyard in Sweden that sells starter motors for 1000SEK, which equals about 125USD these days (plus shipping). They have nine of them for sale according to the website, but this one is the only one which comes from a TBG 13/C306 and also the only one of which they posted a picture:

https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se-sv/Volvo/VOLVO-%C3%96VRIGT/All/Motor/Startmotor-Bensin/Alla/?company_id=74

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm not sure how much rallycross is going on in our region but you guys are close to a good autocross club in kitsap county. check out http://www.bscc.net/ I started autocrossing with that club then moved on to road racing. They're more relaxed than the SCCA crowd.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Most :black101: house move I've seen.

The starter will almost certainly be rebuildable/fixable with a little effort.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Well I guess asking to check it out in person to steal ideas for my own camping vehicle is right out now :(

I stayed home form work when that blizzard hit. Which was convenient as Mom and Dad needed dog food and Dad needed a ride to chemo. Everyone else cancelled their appointments and Dad didn't want to deal with the make up rush the next day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Doccers posted:

Eastern Washington was nice, too.

Nobody in the history of ever has said this (I grew up in Lewiston, which is p much eastern WA).

Then you said this

quote:

Goodbye, Tacoma. :|

Which, again, nobody has ever had a sad face leaving Tacoma. It's the armpit of Washington. You have strange tastes in places :v:

Also, noticed this pic:

Excellent switch taste. :respek:

I'm so glad you're updating again. This is my favorite vehicle in AI.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

Nobody in the history of ever has said this (I grew up in Lewiston, which is p much eastern WA).

Then you said this

Which, again, nobody has ever had a sad face leaving Tacoma. It's the armpit of Washington. You have strange tastes in places :v:

Also, noticed this pic:

Excellent switch taste. :respek:

I'm so glad you're updating again. This is my favorite vehicle in AI.

To be fair, at the time I was comparing Eastern Washington to Eastern Colorado. And in that light, it is nice. Think about that for a minute.

That was supposed to be a "I'm holding my nose" at Tacoma.

Sup Switch Buddy.

The Starter I lucked out on - digging into it, it was the wire from the starter assist relay to the solenoid that got severed, I couldn't see it and the "Click" that I thought was the solenoid was actually the relay.

We've finally gotten the pallets of the 5 ton and gotten most of them unloaded, and I now have my wiring kit available to me again, so when I have some time I'm going to go ahead and fix that wire. I *STILL* want a backup starter though, but grr. pricey. If all else fails I can now rig up a 12v system for the starter as well. no big deal I guess but DAMMIT IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE THING.

Sorry no real updates we have been absolutely swamped with move-in stuff. On the plus side Ive discovered that I have an actual orchard now. Six apple trees, three pear trees, some plums, grapes, hazelnuts, and a loving peach tree. How the hell did a peach tree wind up in the pacific northwest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh man, I recognize those signs from Wyoming. I miss living there.

• Locked thread