Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Rewatched Covenant recently and again what really stands out is that Walter adopts David's persona or Identity at the end.

There’s two points within the movie which contrast each other and drew me initially to this. The scene where David attempts to disable Walter by stabbing him in the neck, where we see the wound close and heal. And the scene of Walter stitching the cuts to his face on the ship, after they’ve gotten off the planet.

That initial scene does kind of put the idea out there that Walter’s wound’s can rapidly self heal or whatever - though they linger during his fight with David. Anyway, the quick assumption would be that David’s wounds don’t heal the same way or at the same rate and that’s why he had to stitch the cuts, which is the tell between them.

Though this assumption is where things kinda break down, because just watching the movie and the sequence of events after that initial stabbing seems to reinforce that it’s Walter in the end.

After stabbing Walter, David assaults Daniels and she stabs him under the chin with the cross from around her neck. Walter then intervenes and tells her to run. So the fight between Walter and David has no audience - apart from us. No other character is around to see who sustains what wounds during the fight and it’s during this fight Walter sustains the cut’s to his face - David is also cut and stabbed multiple times to the torso during it, along with the wound under the chin and some blunt force trauma. The fight scene ends with a question from David “It’s your choice now brother, them or me. Serve in Heaven or reign in Hell.”

So, we’re left with two narrative trains of thought.

On the one hand, David kills Walter and then impersonates him. This requires a few extra steps off screen. Like, after killing Walter, David then cuts his face to look like Walter, though not for the purpose of impersonating him for the sake of others - since no other character besides David sees Walter had those injuries. He then has to cut off his hand and cauterize the wound and finally strip Walter of his clothes in order to wear them.

The alternative to that is Walter had a simple, unexpected and straightforward answer to “It’s your choice now brother, them or me.” - Which is very reminiscent of David in Prometheus.

Maybe i’m looking at the character backwards and Walter was always a mask.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man I wish we got another David movie

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
animatrix alien movie featuring david

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay bauman is wrong again
I love the new alien movies you Midwest bitch

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Jay bauman is wrong again
I love the new alien movies you Midwest bitch

Let me jump way out of my comfort zone to get the opinions of three jaded white male millennials

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
i liked prometheus. i liked covenant. hell i even liked some of those short movies they did for the 40th anniversary

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

General Battuta posted:

Man I wish we got another David movie

When watching Romulus there’s going to be a lingering thought in my mind about David having his war with the Engineers in the far reaches of space somewhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So RLM also brings up the Predator face looking worse, and the flaps of the mouths looking floppy and bad.

This is because of ADI who have done the Predators for every post Winston film since AvP with the exception of Predators likes that style of Predators for some ungodly reason. It always looks like total loving rear end. They said it in a podcast.

it annoys me in every movie more than any "canon" crap ever could.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

So RLM also brings up the Predator face looking worse, and the flaps of the mouths looking floppy and bad.

This is because of ADI who have done the Predators for every post Winston film since AvP with the exception of Predators likes that style of Predators for some ungodly reason. It always looks like total loving rear end. They said it in a podcast.

it annoys me in every movie more than any "canon" crap ever could.

Honestly I think ADI are an awful effects company. Their work always looks a little shoddy and cheap compared to everyone's else, and I dislike nearly every one of their own designs.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zadok Allen posted:

When watching Romulus there’s going to be a lingering thought in my mind about David having his war with the Engineers in the far reaches of space somewhere.

Ridley said both engineers and Weyland Yutani would be after David, since David sends the transmission to WY to tell them about the alien.

I have no idea what route Ridley would have taken, but I really liked the idea of a haunted house in space type of scenario, whereby that colony ship is floating through space and full of monstrosities and body horror from David having conducted countless experiments. Whether humanity or engineers got there first, they could have gone really wild visually with the first ones to board the ship finding all kinds of hosed-up things. The trilobite in Prometheus was one of the highlights, and I like to think that they could have concocted a lot of weird poo poo to have humans/engineers encounter before we finally see David's perfected Alien, given that the Covenant one still wasn't quite there and missing the biomechanical aspects. I liked the thought that David continued on his descent into madness to the point that he begins to experiment on himself and that's how we end up with the biomechanical monster and possibly a System Shock scenario where David's consciousness is part of the ship while his physical body is surrendered to experiments, he becomes a Mother equivalent that fucks with the humans that board and of course chaos ensues when the engineers catch up.

Then again, for all the complaints of how humanoid the engineers appeared in Prometheus, I do think they did a superb job with the design of the last living engineer that's awakened from stasis. His body looks so similar to the alien with how biomechanical it appears (and clearly isn't a suit, either) which suggests they experiment with the black goo on themselves to resemble the alien they clearly worship as we see in the ampule room. Looks more xeno than the deacon at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly I think ADI are an awful effects company. Their work always looks a little shoddy and cheap compared to everyone's else, and I dislike nearly every one of their own designs.

They’re hit or miss. Starship Troopers still holds up very much and their thing effects looked cool from the bts. The newborn is an astounding creature no matter how you feel about it

But their aliens are really bad for some reason. And their predators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
they look like wet turds