Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
YES?
Yes
Goku (in this instance, Goku represents Les Claypool)
View Results

• Locked thread
Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Drunk Nerds posted:

This does nothing to impress me about his virtuosity. Like 80% of popular musicians are beyond hosed up while they're performing. Carlos Santana was so high at Woodstock, he thought his guitar was a snake and refused to look at it. Hell, I'm on the low, low end of musical ability, but there have been several times where I was so drunk the only thing holding myself up was my hands on the keyboard, and I still rocked it.

It's not even that complicated of a bassline. Not saying he isn't quite accomplished and skilled, but "hey he played drunk" barely makes par for the course in the music industry.

well he basically single-handedly invented modern bass guitar method, so there's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Patitucci was one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with, so he totally gets a pass for looking goofy as gently caress when he plays.

E: Well, that and he's a monster bass player.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
rip donald "duck" dunn

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I forgot about Bootsy. Post some good Bootsy basslines here too, please.

Side one of Chocolate City got loads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoHuXCy-Dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVOgHXUMXWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCPDMGodjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2FcLdFoiI

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Selim Sivad posted:

well he basically single-handedly invented modern bass guitar method, so there's that too.

Now, see, this is something impressive

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
hit dat root note

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

quakster posted:

what im gettin from this thread is that good bassists are not going to go extinct any time soon and we can afford to lose a few more

Yeah but both Chris squire and bootsy as well as entwhistle were true innovators at the time. The bass guitar is newer than the electric guitar, and at the time most bass guitar players were still playing as if they were using an upright bass. These guys were throwing out awesome high-gain distorted bass parts. They set the stage/expectation for future players in a way that only few manage to do.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

The Mentalizer posted:

Patitucci was one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with, so he totally gets a pass for looking goofy as gently caress when he plays.

E: Well, that and he's a monster bass player.

what are you even trying to say

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i once had the lollapolooza fill in guitarist for the red hot chili peppers crash at my apartment for a denver show. his brother is one of the best funk bass players in the world- he slept in my closet. i took a shower with one of the dancers, the loving 90s ruled. thats my story about the 90s, thx

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Chris Squire was awesome

Primus sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Primus just put out an album covering the willy wonka soundtrack it's p good

• Locked thread