Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
Goddamn do I love tins of fish. I just destroyed 2 cans of Beach Cliff herring in hot sauce with a sleeve of buttery club crackers.
I grabbed a sampling during the last grocery shopping, and I also have tins of king oscar anchovies and polar "kipper snacks". I assume they will also be delicious. There used to be another thread like this that suggested +price = +quality, and that advice was dead-on.

I am open to suggestions from strangers posting on forums.somethingawful.com for the most pro methods of eating various tinned fishes. Discuss itt plz

also: i love the amine thread tag bc it always reminds me of x-NH3+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

check out the sardine thread for tinned sardine information

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
I want more than sardines??? i mean I literally just finished eating delicious herring

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
i like tuna

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's pretty good.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Hell Yeah posted:

it's pretty good.

Mash it w avocado n hot sauce and it's like friggin guacamole

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
anchovies delicious

The BLT
Jan 3, 2008
Do you know the sandwhich man?
You all are gross and should be ashamed

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
tuna does kick rear end. I like to cook whatever pasta noodles I have on hand, then toss in a can of tuna, whatever veggies + spicy italian salad dressing.

loving pro-tier dinner, and takes >30 mins and minimal effort.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007

The BLT posted:

You all are gross and should be ashamed

are you the kind of person that gags when your face is close to vag

apologies if you're a gay, i hope you're happy with your new mandatory husband

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Abdul Alhazred posted:

tuna does kick rear end. I like to cook whatever pasta noodles I have on hand, then toss in a can of tuna, whatever veggies + spicy italian salad dressing.

loving pro-tier dinner, and takes >30 mins and minimal effort.

See, something like this I have never cared for. Tuna mac? Tuna in ramen? Tuna helper? No thank you. I would prefer to eat them separately. I am glad that you have a convenient, balanced dinner available to you w tuna though.

What kind of tuna do you like? Albacore in olive oil is the tastiest but also has the highest mercury. I usually just go for chunk light in packets, mashed w avocado.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

put them on toast with cheese, it's like tomato soup + fish + cheese sandwich in one

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

See, something like this I have never cared for. Tuna mac? Tuna in ramen? Tuna helper? No thank you. I would prefer to eat them separately. I am glad that you have a convenient, balanced dinner available to you w tuna though.

What kind of tuna do you like? Albacore in olive oil is the tastiest but also has the highest mercury. I usually just go for chunk light in packets, mashed w avocado.

That DOES sound like a fantastic snack, and the idea is why I started this thread. I will defs try this

The salmon in packets is also awesome for mixing with whatever you happen to be eating. Instant +10 protein/deliciousness

Honestly the only tuna I've really had is the bumblebee brand canned stuff. I'm sure it's just chock-full of good old Hg. Living in the mountains of NW Georgia (of Squidbillies fame), my choices are p limited :saddowns:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've got two tins of roasted eel.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
where did you get them???

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Abdul Alhazred posted:

That DOES sound like a fantastic snack, and the idea is why I started this thread. I will defs try this

The salmon in packets is also awesome for mixing with whatever you happen to be eating. Instant +10 protein/deliciousness

Honestly the only tuna I've really had is the bumblebee brand canned stuff. I'm sure it's just chock-full of good old Hg. Living in the mountains of NW Georgia (of Squidbillies fame), my choices are p limited :saddowns:

Im p sure tuna is tuna, unless you go real fancy. Just get chunk light most of the time, it has the least mercury

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

you irl posted:

put them on toast with cheese, it's like tomato soup + fish + cheese sandwich in one

FYI they put the shittiest fish in tomato sauce because you can't tell the difference. Get the kind in olive oil if you want good fish.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
is the olive oil kind generally higher-quality than the hot sauce kind? i can see tomato sauce and hot sauce having the same masking effect

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

withak posted:

FYI they put the shittiest fish in tomato sauce because you can't tell the difference. Get the kind in olive oil if you want good fish.

im buying cheap old preserved fish in tins i am clearly not a discerning customer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love kippers.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Mackerel is a good tinned fish

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
both posts AND fish-types are 100% Good

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

you irl posted:

These guys used to make kippers and I could have kippers for breakfast but now I can't find it and I can't have kippers for breakfast.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I'm all about those cheap oysters that come in jars can we talk about those too?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007

Tardcore posted:

I'm all about those cheap oysters that come in jars can we talk about those too?

sure! i've only had tinned oysters once, can't remember the brand, and I didn't like it :saddowns:

what kind do you get and, more importantly, how do you eat them?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Mash it w avocado n hot sauce and it's like friggin guacamole

ya but you could say that about anything?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Abdul Alhazred posted:

sure! i've only had tinned oysters once, can't remember the brand, and I didn't like it :saddowns:

what kind do you get and, more importantly, how do you eat them?

Cant remember the name of the brand, but I just put salt and tabasco sauce on them.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I tried sardines for the first time yesterday thanks to the goon thread.

I bought some crackers, a tin of sardines in olive oil and some hot sauce. I can confirm that they were awesome, although I was a little apprehensive because they looked like headless minnows.

I'm going camping next weekend, will need to bring me a few tins. Also some boiled peanuts.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
I have a vague memory of being goku-level drunk and being at the commissary, wanting to make a red-lobster-style seafood pasta dish. I grabbed 1 can of everything from the ocean in a tin, then dumped it into a pan of ramen noodles over my hot plate in the barracks.

I don't remember actually eating it, but it must have been God-tier good bc I then remember waking up for an 8 mile run feeling perfect.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Abdul Alhazred posted:

I want more than sardines??? i mean I literally just finished eating delicious herring

discussion in the sardine thread has, at times, expanded to include most shelf stable seafood products. i encourage you to read and post in it.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

I tried sardines for the first time yesterday thanks to the goon thread.

I bought some crackers, a tin of sardines in olive oil and some hot sauce. I can confirm that they were awesome, although I was a little apprehensive because they looked like headless minnows.

I'm going camping next weekend, will need to bring me a few tins. Also some boiled peanuts.

Definitely, stock the gently caress up on tinned sardines. loving perfect portable, wilderness-style food.
Maybe you can compare + contrast w/ fish you caught while camping???

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
okay, where IS the sardine thread? I remember reading it a while ago, but haven't seen it on any page 1 and assumed it was defunct.

I still like discussing this with GBS though, so no promises

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Hell Yeah posted:

ya but you could say that about anything?

I don't think so....leave the tuna out and it's definitely missing something. I think its the brininess of the tuna that adds a certain je ne sais quoi

Point is, it doesn't have the slightest hint of tuna taste to it and is downright delicious

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
right?? some things just NEED some tinned fish thrown in. amplifies the deliciousness power-level exponentially

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
this is the kind of stuff my grandfather loved

he lived through the depression and world war two and never really recovered, so he always loved to eat weird foods that, im realizing now, were probably things like military rations and sea rations

corned beef hash
spam concoctions
kippered snacks on crackers with whatever sauce was lying around

my grandmother on the other hand made some of the most efficient likenesses of meals you've ever managed to keep down, she was a real depression queen that one. a fantastic cook, by all accounts, but cheap as a scot (she was a scot who lived through the depression and it showed, her meatloaf was terrifyingly palatable. defied explanation and description)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Abdul Alhazred posted:

okay, where IS the sardine thread? I remember reading it a while ago, but haven't seen it on any page 1 and assumed it was defunct.

I still like discussing this with GBS though, so no promises

sardine thread IS GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400

there is a ton of new posts

but imo its a good idea to start a new thread anyways. the old one is pretty long already and the title of this thread hopefully encourages a broader discussion.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
f

gently caress!

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
cheap ingredients + x = delicious meal is like a superpower, your grandma seriously owned

Out of curiosity, did she ever use potted meat? I used to eat the "salted, potted + formed" glass jars of ridiculously NaCl-ful mystery-meat-byproduct all the time, but I can't stand it nowadays. It seems like it used to be a national staple, though. Like old-timey hotdogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

sardine thread IS GBS:

there is a ton of new posts

but imo its a good idea to start a new thread anyways. the old one is pretty long already and the title of this thread hopefully encourages a broader discussion.

i like tinned oysters mussels and clams myself, most tinned fishes seem to have unpleasant bones

• Locked thread