Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cracked_Gear posted:

here you go try some of this

That can is dented on one side, you should discard it before it gets rotten and stinky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Surstomming videos are Youtube gold.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007

Cracked_Gear posted:

here you go try some of this

Wanna eat the everloving gently caress outta dat

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
smoked kippers and black coffee is an excellent light breakfast

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Abdul Alhazred posted:

Wanna eat the everloving gently caress outta dat

most likely you would start vomiting uncontrollably immediately after the can was opened

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
if you haven't had european sprat in sunflower oil you haven't lived

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

vomiting, but controllably

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
As a fan of tripe and chitlins I bet I could handle the fermented fish

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Listen up, goyim, and let me teach you about fish in jars.

This right here is your gold standard. Herring filets, skin-on, cut into bite-sized pieces, drenched in a wine vinegar brine with loads of onions. Eat it every day. Put it on rye toast, or a toasted bagel, or just eat it straight out of the jar. And eat the onions, too!

This stuff? It's the same pickled herring filets, but in a sour cream sauce. Looks weird, tastes okay. I prefer the wine sauce, but to each his own.

This you don't find prepackaged so much, but I'll include it here just in case. It's chopped herring, basically just the pickled stuff finely minced, maybe stretched out with some matzo meal. Spread it on something and eat it.

Okay. Gefilte fish. I'm not going to go into detail here, because there are literally centuries of disagreement about the stuff, and obviously homemade gefilte fish is far superior to what you find in the jars. But basically they're balls of finely minced fish (whitefish, pike, traditionally carp but not so much anymore because carp is a cheap and nasty fish that nobody wants to eat) and matzo meal. The flavor is a little fishy and slightly sweet, not at all briny or vinegary. The jellied broth is more traditional, but lots of people think it's gross, so you can get the liquid broth instead. They both taste the same. Serve it chilled, and with plenty of this:

This lovely stuff is a mixture of grated horseradish and beets. The beets add sweetness and cut the sharp horseradish flavor, as well as turning it all a beautiful shade of magenta. I honestly have no idea what anybody uses this for other than as a condiment for gefilte fish, but I consider it mandatory.

Any questions?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
That was awesome and I am going full Jew at the grocery store this weekend. I don't dig vinegar, so I am getting the sour cream one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

i don't like tuna

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
That was an excellent post, you goddamn jew.

Gonna eat some hebrew-style fish tomorrow and hope god doesn't notice my foreskin

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Dregs posted:

Any of you Jew-Goons tell me about gefilte fish in a jar? I have always been curious about it, but I have never taken the plunge.

I tried another meat-in-a-jar the other day, though. Pickled pigs feet. Tasted like gelatinous vinegar. It was SO BAD. I Could see it having potential, if you could somehow wrangle 90% of the vinegar out of it.

gefilte fish is pretty much just a cold chicken nugget without the breading and has no flavor except for a mild fishy taste at the end

edit: you wanna get the beet horseradish too for the gefilte like the other goon said

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

Just as a fair warning, though, if you eat too much pickled or smoked fish in one sitting, you will come down with a temporary condition I refer to as "walrus belches." You may want to warn your loved ones in advance.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Just got back from the shop, got some nice tinned mackerel and some olives.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the hell os wrong with you people

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hi my name Abdul, I like disco dance and tin fish. Please to meets you.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Tuna + Pesto + Kalamata Olives + Feta, Panini.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go to the Asian supermarket. They have green and red curry mackerel from Thailand, roasted eel from Japan and Korea, smelt, a buncha stuff, all in fishcans.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
I like dollar tins of sliced octopus. I don't even care that the checkout people blanch every time they scan it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Open up a can of octopuss on the black conveyor belt in front of them, put your mouth there so the belt shovels it onto your mouth, wave the oily can at them so it can be scanned and you can pay while this goes on.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Listen up, goyim, and let me teach you about fish in jars.

This right here is your gold standard. Herring filets, skin-on, cut into bite-sized pieces, drenched in a wine vinegar brine with loads of onions. Eat it every day. Put it on rye toast, or a toasted bagel, or just eat it straight out of the jar. And eat the onions, too!

This stuff? It's the same pickled herring filets, but in a sour cream sauce. Looks weird, tastes okay. I prefer the wine sauce, but to each his own.

Any questions?

I grew up eating Vita pickled and creamed herring with bagels, cream cheese, and lox. That's the spread my (Jewish) family would put out on Sunday mornings.

For those of you who are Costco members, they sometimes carry large jars of Blue Hill Bay brand pickled herring in wine sauce, which is an excellent bargain on a great product. The huge 24-ounce jars will last forever in the fridge, and they cost the same or less than the 12-ounce Vita or Blue Hill Bay jars anywhere else. Unfortunately, my Costco hasn't had them in a long time, but pickled herring is a staple food for me, either on toast (with cream cheese), on crackers, or just spearing them right out of the jar. Super-healthy and delicious (moreso than canned sardines, I think, but I don't mind sardines either).

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

"Fried dace with salted black beans is a canned food available around the world wherever there are Asians. It is popular among Asians as it is a classical dish which was passed down from generation to generation."

My roommate would have this from time to time and got me addicted. It doesn't look too appealing, but it's very salty and savory, all in all delicious. Made me start checking out Chinese grocery stores.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Those kippers in the can with the Norwegian dude on them are pretty boss on crackers. So are those sardines with the mustard sauce.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I'm in Portugal at the moment, just stocked up on delicious canned sardines and tuna to take home.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I'm in Portugal at the moment, just stocked up on delicious canned sardines and tuna to take home.

Gooooooooooon

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I like the ones with a cheese stuffed crust, OP, especially if there's a few hotdogs in there, maybe some jalepeno ranch on the side

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

bromplicated posted:

"Fried dace with salted black beans is a canned food available around the world wherever there are Asians. It is popular among Asians as it is a classical dish which was passed down from generation to generation."

My roommate would have this from time to time and got me addicted. It doesn't look too appealing, but it's very salty and savory, all in all delicious. Made me start checking out Chinese grocery stores.

That does look tasty. What's the bone situation?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hotdogs, pineapple and canned carp on a pizza

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

That does look tasty. What's the bone situation?

It comes with the bones in. They're really easy to take out, but some people apparently eat the bones.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
lol if you eat any prepared food manufactured in china, just lol.

enjoy your gutter oil and melamine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
tuna + mayo + lawrys seasoning salt

could loving live on that poo poo (until my inevitable coronary)

• Locked thread