Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

RaceBannon posted:

my problem is i cant stop watching something once ive started. i think i have two more seasons to go... its so daunting.

I heard that Marilyn Manson plays a neo-nazi in the last season, so you've got that to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Cantaloupe posted:

I heard that Marilyn Manson plays a neo-nazi in the last season, so you've got that to look forward to.

yeah, he has tender scenes with the puerto rican guy, no joke

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I watched a few episodes and then decided that yes indeed, this is not good

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
The young man who is the main character always wears baggy trousers. I dont know whats wrong with americas youth wearing baggy trousers

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
He is what is referred to as a "wigger"

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
the last season is the loving worst

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Clay is a hot headed fucknut

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Biker gangs are fucktarded

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i could post how it ended and literally no one would believe me, even those who watched

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
jax is redneck jesus hth

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Prowler posted:

By the last season, about ten federal agents or employees were outright murdered in spectacular and obvious fashion. Deaths everyday. Cops die maybe monthly. The whole keeping Charming whole poo poo was dropped in maybe session 3.

I think the show spans like 3 years, and the murder rate in that sort amount of time has gotta be the highest in the world.

to be fair a lot of the murders and gunfights are specifically stated not to occur in charming, but in other towns like oaktown and stockton

but yeah a loooot of the premises of the show are extremely retarded, like for instance the reversed relationship of the IRA with the American organised crime world

in real life the latter has always sold guns to the former, because the former is, uh, you know, a small clandestine organisation in a small country with very tight gun control, but in the show the IRA is apparently able to summon machine guns and rocket launchers out of the ether and then sells them around the world. they make it clear that they need this money to finance "the cause" but in real life that means buying guns, so they're spending all this money on ??????

also in season 5 I think the show just up and decides that all Irish people really, really, really hate black people just as a plot point apparently lmfbo

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i thought we were supposed to supply and fund the irish

makes no sense

like even in boardwalk empire a show that said gently caress it and ended abruptly had a realistic sub plot of the protagonist using US armory guns to fund the iRA

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Simstim posted:

one biker actually got blown up by a mine on american soil in yool 20xx

it was a mine but it was in mexico

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I assume they're just brokering arms shipped from fmr soviet bloc crapholes, right?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Top City Homo posted:

i thought we were supposed to supply and fund the irish

makes no sense

like even in boardwalk empire a show that said gently caress it and ended abruptly had a realistic sub plot of the protagonist using US armory guns to fund the iRA

yeah it makes no sense at all

in an interview the creator said that originally he was going to go with something that made more sense, EG the club selling drugs, but then decided that was too cliche

because, you know, it's something that actually happens

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

I assume they're just brokering arms shipped from fmr soviet bloc crapholes, right?

historically the IRA has smuggled most of their guns from african nations (mainly libya) using money mostly donated by the irish diaspora in america

after 9/11 donating to terrorist groups kind of became a taboo and the IRA finally closed shop in 2005, with the exceptions of the RIRA (the "real" IRA) which was a splinter group that refused to accept the peace accord

what they've actually done is very little; their worst acts have been a drive-by on a British barracks that killed a couple of soldiers, and a bombing of a hotel that ended up being empty because they got narced on by the adults of the former IRA who have accepted the peace process

so basically the IRA as presented in the show is wholly fictitious

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

historically the IRA has smuggled most of their guns from african nations (mainly libya) using money mostly donated by the irish diaspora in america

after 9/11 donating to terrorist groups kind of became a taboo and the IRA finally closed shop in 2005, with the exceptions of the RIRA (the "real" IRA) which was a splinter group that refused to accept the peace accord

what they've actually done is very little; their worst acts have been a drive-by on a British barracks that killed a couple of soldiers, and a bombing of a hotel that ended up being empty because they got narced on by the adults of the former IRA who have accepted the peace process

so basically the IRA as presented in the show is wholly fictitious

I meant on the show not irl

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

yeah it makes no sense at all

in an interview the creator said that originally he was going to go with something that made more sense, EG the club selling drugs, but then decided that was too cliche

because, you know, it's something that actually happens

it would make much more sense if the irish got their guns from the US and the Irish sold them drugs from amasterdam

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
I dunno, man. I was just into seeing Jax Teller being angsty, psychotic, and sometimes naked each week. It worked for me.

gently caress this realism bullshit.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Degenerate Star posted:

I dunno, man. I was just into seeing Jax Teller being angsty, psychotic, and sometimes naked each week. It worked for me.

gently caress this realism bullshit.

someones trying to ambush the Polecats

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
The show got annoying when every episode ended with a Montage of the caracter brooding to Katy sagals music.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Wangsbig posted:

i could post how it ended and literally no one would believe me, even those who watched

Now I'm curious

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Someone post the sutter jerkoff gif from the show pls

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QZJxVKzNmQ

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
lol "Jesus!" yeah thanks for making that clear

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prowler posted:

Cops die maybe monthly.

an ideal world

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
lol

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I like how every episode has a 10 minute montage of lovely rock music over people driving around moodily, especially when the song is a really bad cover of a well-known song.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I can only think of three cops that die in the entire show

hale (the deputy chief) is killed off for basically no reason relevant to the plot and then barely ever mentioned again even in passing (the actor wanted to leave the show)

a sheriff's deputy is killed by some neo-nazis in one of the later seasons

juice shoots the sheriff at the end of season six

there are also two federal agents who are killed, and one retired deputy marshal, but those aren't cops

you could count barosky, one of his employees, and unser, I guess, but I wouldn't since the first two are clearly more criminal than cops and no longer cops anyway, and the last one was never much of a cop and has been retired for two years at the time he's killed

I might be missing someone but I don't think so, I rewatched the series fairly recently

e: oh right I forgot there's a third ATF agent who's murdered by her partner, but that's, uh, something an antagonist does, so

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 29, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ayy the gabagool

Risky
May 18, 2003

Prowler posted:

By the last season, about ten federal agents or employees were outright murdered in spectacular and obvious fashion. Deaths everyday. Cops die maybe monthly. The whole keeping Charming whole poo poo was dropped in maybe session 3.

I think the show spans like 3 years, and the murder rate in that sort amount of time has gotta be the highest in the world.

One good tactical drone strike would have cleaned up that town.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

They weren't moving very fast

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktBJ6HpNJQ

when i think of maureen, i think of two things

asphalt

and trouble

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

bcuz i hate when people record their tvs with a cellphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jG3QJKYR0

rip biker jesus

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well I've always suspected this show was bad so I never watched it so thanks for confirming I guess

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
They should have had jax gently caress off ages ago and made the show about chibs being badass and cleaning up everyone else's shitshow by carving glasgow smiles into everyone

they could even have used Glasvegas for the moody montage music while chibs struggles with deciding on whether to slice up this guy's cheeks or stick a credit card in his mouth and punch his lips open

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
seeing as there's no guns in America, we need to import them from ireland

also, let's make fredo the boss

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I, uh, I don't see the jesus allegory there, I thought he was just taking his hands off the bike to keep himself from reflexively veering away

I mean they really hamfist the "jax you are a horrible monster and don't deserve anything good" thing way too much for them to have been going for that

Moridin920 posted:

well I've always suspected this show was bad so I never watched it so thanks for confirming I guess

it is, yeah, but it's still fun to watch imo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

seeing as there's no guns in America, we need to import them from ireland

also, let's make fredo the boss

later they attempt to import them from palestine, apparently the show takes place in a parallel universe where the entire arms industry is backwards

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

They weren't moving very fast

Motorcycles are dangerous and that retard doesn't have on a helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

I, uh, I don't see the jesus allegory there, I thought he was just taking his hands off the bike to keep himself from reflexively veering away

A little earlier in the last episode, Jax met with the homeless/ghost woman who offered him bread and wine. Yes, it's about as stupid as it sounds.

• Locked thread