Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Prowler posted:

By the last season, about ten federal agents or employees were outright murdered in spectacular and obvious fashion. Deaths everyday. Cops die maybe monthly. The whole keeping Charming whole poo poo was dropped in maybe session 3.

I think the show spans like 3 years, and the murder rate in that sort amount of time has gotta be the highest in the world.

to be fair a lot of the murders and gunfights are specifically stated not to occur in charming, but in other towns like oaktown and stockton

but yeah a loooot of the premises of the show are extremely retarded, like for instance the reversed relationship of the IRA with the American organised crime world

in real life the latter has always sold guns to the former, because the former is, uh, you know, a small clandestine organisation in a small country with very tight gun control, but in the show the IRA is apparently able to summon machine guns and rocket launchers out of the ether and then sells them around the world. they make it clear that they need this money to finance "the cause" but in real life that means buying guns, so they're spending all this money on ??????

also in season 5 I think the show just up and decides that all Irish people really, really, really hate black people just as a plot point apparently lmfbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Simstim posted:

one biker actually got blown up by a mine on american soil in yool 20xx

it was a mine but it was in mexico

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Top City Homo posted:

i thought we were supposed to supply and fund the irish

makes no sense

like even in boardwalk empire a show that said gently caress it and ended abruptly had a realistic sub plot of the protagonist using US armory guns to fund the iRA

yeah it makes no sense at all

in an interview the creator said that originally he was going to go with something that made more sense, EG the club selling drugs, but then decided that was too cliche

because, you know, it's something that actually happens

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

I assume they're just brokering arms shipped from fmr soviet bloc crapholes, right?

historically the IRA has smuggled most of their guns from african nations (mainly libya) using money mostly donated by the irish diaspora in america

after 9/11 donating to terrorist groups kind of became a taboo and the IRA finally closed shop in 2005, with the exceptions of the RIRA (the "real" IRA) which was a splinter group that refused to accept the peace accord

what they've actually done is very little; their worst acts have been a drive-by on a British barracks that killed a couple of soldiers, and a bombing of a hotel that ended up being empty because they got narced on by the adults of the former IRA who have accepted the peace process

so basically the IRA as presented in the show is wholly fictitious

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I can only think of three cops that die in the entire show

hale (the deputy chief) is killed off for basically no reason relevant to the plot and then barely ever mentioned again even in passing (the actor wanted to leave the show)

a sheriff's deputy is killed by some neo-nazis in one of the later seasons

juice shoots the sheriff at the end of season six

there are also two federal agents who are killed, and one retired deputy marshal, but those aren't cops

you could count barosky, one of his employees, and unser, I guess, but I wouldn't since the first two are clearly more criminal than cops and no longer cops anyway, and the last one was never much of a cop and has been retired for two years at the time he's killed

I might be missing someone but I don't think so, I rewatched the series fairly recently

e: oh right I forgot there's a third ATF agent who's murdered by her partner, but that's, uh, something an antagonist does, so

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 29, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I, uh, I don't see the jesus allegory there, I thought he was just taking his hands off the bike to keep himself from reflexively veering away

I mean they really hamfist the "jax you are a horrible monster and don't deserve anything good" thing way too much for them to have been going for that

Moridin920 posted:

well I've always suspected this show was bad so I never watched it so thanks for confirming I guess

it is, yeah, but it's still fun to watch imo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

seeing as there's no guns in America, we need to import them from ireland

also, let's make fredo the boss

later they attempt to import them from palestine, apparently the show takes place in a parallel universe where the entire arms industry is backwards

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

rejutka posted:

A little earlier in the last episode, Jax met with the homeless/ghost woman who offered him bread and wine. Yes, it's about as stupid as it sounds.

oh lmao I forgot about that

I don't remember her offering him bread and wine but I believe it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Top City Homo posted:

hmm should we go into business with hamas

that should have absolutely no consequences at all

im surprised the Mossad didn't kill them all as the series finale

well it never actually happened, they ended up passing and the californian tong ended up taking it instead

but in what loving world it makes sense that hamas has enough guns to sell or the ability to get them out of palestine I don't know

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

henry rollins with "I KILL [impolite word for black folks]" tattooed across his chest

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Vladimir Putin posted:

I stopped watching when a biker dude got raped and burned alive for no reason. And then following that some random person not even a character in the show got shot and died accidentally for no reason. It didn't advance the plot or add anything to the story it was just random people dying and getting raped.

am I forgetting something? I can only think of four people in the show who get raped. one of them is a minor character. one of them gets stabbed to death. the other two get shot. who is the person who "got raped and burned alive for no reason"?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

yep, that's two of the ones I just mentioned

juice (the first one) gets stabbed to death in one of the very last episodes, otto gets shot to death by correctional officers in prison after cutting the throat of the retired deputy marshal who, among other things, conspired to have him raped

those are the only bikers in the entire show I can think of who get raped, so who is the biker who gets raped and then burned alive because I don't remember that ever happening

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

for a generation that came of age during the war on terror, halfsack was a key character in making the show interesting and relateable. He was a vet who joined out of high school because Freedoms; he was half the kids I grew up with.

then he got killed for no good goddamn reason

the actor was getting strung out on drugs and ended up killing himself irl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Lewis#Death

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Top City Homo posted:

i think it was tiggs daughter

she wasn't raped and she wasn't burned alive "for no reason", she was burned alive because tigg killed pope's daughter

I mean the show is dumb enough to make fun of without making things up

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

If you think SoA is bad wait till you get wind of the awful netflix show sens8.

If you want a real laugh watch the first 10-20 minutes of it then go read the tv iv thread and wonder if it's an elaborate troll thread by entirely fake accounts.

To be fair, if you can watch s7 of soa I don't understand you either. I keep trying to watch it because I was entertained enough by the previous 6 seasons, but I always just say gently caress it I'm out by ep3-ep4. I simply don't care what happens anymore because it's all irrelevant and pointless and there's no actual plot or reason behind the character's actions anymore.

there's... there's not? gemma kills tara because she was led to believe tara had sold out the club and was divorcing jax and taking his kids away

when she realises that was not the case at all she makes up the most believable story she can to escape her son's wrath, which is to blame the tong which had a present dispute with the club

the club and the tong become embroiled in a gang war as a result, and when august marks threatens jax to try to enforce peace, jax moves pre-emptively to eliminate marks

in the midst of all of this jax murders a witness who, as it turns out, was the son of another charter's president

in the resulting dispute, jax then murders said president, prompting a vote to remove him as president and possibly sanction his murder

the truth about tara's murder is revealed. jax realises the damage he has caused to the club. he first kills gemma to avenge his wife's murder, then attempts to atone by single-handedly eliminating the enemies he has created for the club in the one way they would not expect, by gunning them down in broad daylight, and then allowing himself to be killed.

it's not good by any means and way too much of it is exposition but it wasn't exactly hard to follow

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
yes that is all much better criticism and more accurate than "there's no actual plot" and I agree with all of it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

gently caress the Republic. posted:

Green Beret, Private Detective, Deputy U.S. Marshal. :haw:

loving sutter.

that isn't completely ridiculous to be fair. there's an enormous amount of military to law enforcement turnover, and absolutely anyone can be a private investigator. I'm a private investigator. it's easy as poo poo.

e: I think they also said he was a harvard graduate, though. now that part is a little loving silly.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

gently caress the Republic. posted:

My point is, he lobbed titles onto characters which added no exposition, or dimensions to the character. It was meaningless.

"ohh poo poo, that u.s. marshal was a special operator! shits about to get real!"

No, just another piece of white trash that ended up in Charming.

yeah he never actually does anything except murdering a hooker and then doing a piss-poor job of framing someone else for it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

does mitch pileggi age at all or is he some sort of bald beefcake revenant

unless he was born looking like a guy in his late fifties then he definitely ages

but he already looked like that in 1994 so that's a possibility

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I like how the head of marks's security team is stated to be a special forces soldier as well, so I would think all of his guys would have similar training

except that they're all black. like every single one of them. in order to have a team that size he would basically need to have recruited every single black guy in the special operations community. SOCOM is literally whiter than baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Top City Homo posted:

it was important to establish that he was a bad guy so he shot a prostitute to death

• Locked thread