Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHWRkuDlNOE

Post your favorite iPhone stories

quote:

RIM thought Apple was lying on iPhone in 2007

RIM had a complete internal panic when Apple unveiled the iPhone in 2007, a former employee revealed this weekend. The BlackBerry maker is now known to have held multiple all-hands meetings on January 10 that year, a day after the iPhone was on stage, and to have made outlandish claims about its features. Apple was effectively accused of lying as it was supposedly impossible that a device could have such a large touchscreen but still get a usable lifespan away from a power outlet.

The iPhone "couldn't do what [Apple was] demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor, it must have terrible battery life," Shacknews poster Kentor heard from his former colleagues of the time. "Imagine their surprise [at RIM] when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it."

Friends who were Microsoft employees at the time were also said to have had a similar reaction.

He further added that RIM, as well as Motorola, Nokia, Palm and other early pioneers, lost ground partly because of a self-defeating attitude. RIM in particular assumed from the start that smartphones would be outgrowths of its pagers and that there would never be enough battery life or wireless technology for more functions. It started growing beyond this view before the iPhone shipped, but the OS foundation until recently was based on the early assumption.

The remarks confirm a widely held belief that BlackBerry Storm development started only after the iPhone was made public rather than having been in development at all before. RIM didn't have its first touchscreen phone until the Storm shipped in late 2008, almost two years after the iPhone's unveiling, and didn't have multi-touch support or a fully accurate web browser until the Torch arrived just this past summer. Apple is now gradually overtaking RIM in market share and is being quickly joined by Android, which now makes up the majority of Verizon sales just a year after the BlackBerry was the carrier's top earner.

RIM may be poised for a comeback as it has promised an aggressive 2011 roadmap, but virtually all of what it will do outside of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is a mystery.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/12/27/rim.thought.apple.was.lying.on.iphone.in.2007/#ixzz3eSZJR1Vu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my favorite story is the time the iphone shipped with a major hardware design flaw and steve told his customers to hold the phone in a different manner LOL

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

my favorite story is the time the iphone shipped with a major hardware design flaw and steve told his customers to hold the phone in a different manner LOL

that is a great story and they should have listened to stebe pbuh

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the iphone bends under normal use, just like its users

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
look at this piece of art

goddamn

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

goddamn

the last good phone.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mine is probably the time my buddy got real drunk and dropped his iphone in the toilet and then threw up on it before he could pull it out

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

goddamn

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

graph posted:

goddamn

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

graph posted:

goddamn

this is the 5, the one yospos described as the longphone and decried its glass panels on the back as hideous as compared to the 4's all glass back and whined about chamfered edges.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

graph posted:

goddamn

the 5 was the best looking phone

but you should use a 5s because:
64bit
touch id
M7 step counter
burst mode
slow mo
true tone flash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

goddamn

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the iphone 5 was durable as gently caress too

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
its h appening. the yospos brain aids has spread such that the 5 is now retroactively the best iphone. in 3 years time it will be the 6 plus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
nice proper branding in the thread title OP. you little fag

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
fetty wap uses a murdered out 5 too

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
my favorite story is when apple unveiled the iphone and have continued to make the best phone since then

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
the 6 plus is pretty bad honestly. it's impossible to use with one hand (and i'm p big) and the rotation sensor loving blows

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yodzilla posted:

the 6 plus is pretty bad honestly. it's impossible to use with one hand (and i'm p big) and the rotation sensor loving blows

yeah a p. big doofus

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Valeyard posted:

the iphone bends under normal use, just like its users

apple makes phones that bend and cables that don't

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

The Management posted:

this is the 5, the one yospos described as the longphone and decried its glass panels on the back as hideous as compared to the 4's all glass back and whined about chamfered edges.

the leaked photos of the 5 looked very ugly but the assembled phone looks great. unlike the 6 where the leaked photos looked maybe ok, but the assembled phone looks like poo poo

e:

:barf:

Soldier of Fortran fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 29, 2015

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Valeyard posted:

its h appening. the yospos brain aids has spread such that the 5 is now retroactively the best iphone. in 3 years time it will be the 6 plus

the best iphone is and remains the iphone 4s with ios 5

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

imagine a 4s with ios 5, but with touchid. the perfect phone.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
actually my 5s with ios 8.whatever is better but thanks for the illusion

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

imagine a 4s with ios 5, but with touchid. the perfect phone.

touchid wouldn't be an improvement in any way

i like being able to use my phone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

gargle chome posted:

my favorite story is when apple unveiled the iphone and have continued to make the best phone since then

same

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Stymie posted:

touchid wouldn't be an improvement in any way

i like being able to use my phone

it doesnt surprise me that youre too stupid to use touchid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

they need to bring back the blackest of blacks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why wouldn't you want touchid? it makes it so you don't have to type in a passcode and is more secure than slide to unlock and is just as easy.

also happy birthday iphone, the first smart phone.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

they need to bring back the blackest of blacks

charlie murphy?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pissflaps posted:

wow, touchy

the few times i've seen it used by others it doesn't work and everyone i know that has an iphone with touchid doesn't use it because they got fed up with having to input a password anyway when it inevitably failed

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
it works every single time for me without fail

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

it works every single time for me without fail

it doesn't work for me if my finger is wet. so I dry it off and it works.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
or that if your hand is grubby or dirty

also apparently individual touchid sensor has a specific hardware serial/key that's tied to each phone

because when some idiot broke and cracked their touchid sensor by having the phone and keys in the same pocket, the shady repair place told them that the button can only be swapped with a non-touchid button or another touchid button but it will be non-functioning because only the original sensor would work with the phone

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DaNzA posted:

phone and keys in the same pocket

loving t/w

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
jesus people that's why you have two pockets

right pocket = keys