Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that Android
Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance."
I'm very close to drowning in an immediate sense. Google can only help so much.

Income: Life Insurance Sales. Potentially? $2500/mo or more. Right now? $0 Currently looking for a part-time supplement with little luck.

Assets: 4 cats and 1 car, 2001 Acura Integra with 171k miles, which I just bought. I have $2700 left to pay my friend for it. I have nothing else that'd qualify as a financial asset that I know of.

Debts: $21,230 in student loans, and $3,300 in medical bills. Also, $5,042 to my college and $3,123 to a leasing company for the year that my student loans didn't go through. There could be more, but I'm unaware of it at this time. Oh, and my credit score is 455.

Monthly Costs: $650 rent not including gas and electric, $300-600 paying my friend for the car, $90 for car insurance (once I have the money to get it), $60 in cat food and litter
So, $1400 not including utilities or gas or food. $800 after the car is paid off.

---

Current situation:

I got fired from my last bartending job in February. Fired for giving a coworker a free beer. My parents have been paying my rent (they had to, they cosigned) and food money since that happened, and they are tapped out.

I couldn't find a job for 2 months, but then got hired at my current job which is 100% commission. My parents paid for me to get licensed by the state in Life, Health and Annuities sales. I was supposed to go through training unpaid, a process they said would take 2 weeks, which actually took 2 months due to a paperwork issue. My first week I made $800, but every dime went to me buying a car, so I could continue to do this job on my own. The past two weeks, I've made nothing. I'm really good at this, I just keep getting put in front of people who aren't in the position to buy right now. I'd be able to do it much better if I had gas money now to back it up. I am currently in the market for a new part time job to supplement this, but no luck so far.

Oh yeah, and about 3 weeks ago, I found my roommate dead in his room. I now handle the entire power bill, which had about $300 of debt that he accrued before my name was even on the bill. Dominion refuses to work with me on this. The leasing company has been very helpful, and they contacted my roommate's parents about his portion of rent for June. My parents gave me the money for June's rent, but I had to use it on food and gas and it has now run out. So... June has gone unpaid. I haven't been contacted about this yet. I'm hoping to get away with, "Yeah, I put my money order in the drop box weeks ago, what happened?" The leasing company showed me a studio apartment for $650 which I will have to be moving into soon. My parents will have to cosign again, which they are not happy about having to do.

Immediate dangers? June's rent of $520, $300 car payment this Friday (already pushed it back one week, can't push it anymore), $120 down on getting car insurance, $260 for electric bill I got stuck with, moving costs, and food and gas money (parents are tapped, and I believe paying July's rent despite that so can't ask for more). Basically need all of this within a few days.

Immediate solutions? Getting a new job is important, however I wouldn't get paid on said job for 2-3 weeks from starting so it won't help my current situation. I went to Wells Fargo recently to try to get a personal loan. Using the car as collateral, and if I find a cosigner, they've offered me a $5000 loan over 6 years, at $85/mo at only 19% interest... which would be amazing, however my parents won't cosign for it and I can't find anyone else to. This loan would pay off the car, and the electric, and pay for 2 months rent, but without a cosigner I can't do it. The only other option I see is Pay Day loans but I'm smart enough to know that should be avoided... But if I can't find a cosigner what other option do I have?

I think I got everything here, I may add to this post if I find something I've missed. Please help me. I need a large some of money in just a couple of days and I have no idea how I'm going to do this without putting myself into an even deeper hole.

Pelafina fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Pelafina posted:

I'm very close to drowning in an immediate sense. Google can only help so much.

Income: Life Insurance Sales. Potentially? $2500/mo or more. Right now? $0 Currently looking for a part-time supplement with little luck.

Assets: 4 cats and 1 car, which I just bought. I have $2700 left to pay my friend for it. I have nothing else that'd qualify as a financial asset that I know of.

Debts: Woah boy. I have no clue what the exact numbers are, but I have probably $20,000 in student loans, and $8,000ish in medical bills. Also, $7,000 to my college and $3,000 to a leasing company for the year that my student loans didn't go through. There could be more, but I'm unaware of it at this time. Oh, and my credit is 455. That's not a typo, that's my credit score.

Monthly Costs: $650 rent not including gas and electric, $300-600 paying my friend for the car, $90 for car insurance (once I have the money to get it), $60 in cat food and litter
So, $1400 not including utilities or gas or food. $800 after the car is paid off.

---

Current situation:

I got fired from my last bartending job in February. Fired for giving a coworker a free beer. My parents have been paying my rent (they had to, they cosigned) and food money since that happened, and they are tapped out.

I couldn't find a job for 2 months, but then got hired at my current job which is 100% commission. My parents paid for me to get licensed by the state in Life, Health and Annuities sales. I was supposed to go through training unpaid, a process they said would take 2 weeks, which actually took 2 months due to a paperwork issue. My first week I made $800, but every dime went to me buying a car, so I could continue to do this job on my own. The past two weeks, I've made nothing. I'm really good at this, I just keep getting put in front of people who aren't in the position to buy right now. I'd be able to do it much better if I had gas money now to back it up. I am currently in the market for a new part time job to supplement this, but no luck so far.

Oh yeah, and about 3 weeks ago, I found my roommate dead in his room. I now handle the entire power bill, which had about $300 of debt that he accrued before my name was even on the bill. Dominion refuses to work with me on this. The leasing company has been very helpful, and they contacted my roommate's parents about his portion of rent for June. My parents gave me the money for June's rent, but I had to use it on food and gas and it has now run out. So... June has gone unpaid. I haven't been contacted about this yet. I'm hoping to get away with, "Yeah, I put my money order in the drop box weeks ago, what happened?" The leasing company showed me a studio apartment for $650 which I will have to be moving into soon. My parents will have to cosign again, which they are not happy about having to do.

Immediate dangers? June's rent of $520, $300 car payment this Friday (already pushed it back one week, can't push it anymore), $120 down on getting car insurance, $260 for electric bill I got stuck with, moving costs, and food and gas money (parents are tapped, and I believe paying July's rent despite that so can't ask for more). Basically need all of this within a few days.

Immediate solutions? Getting a new job is important, however I wouldn't get paid on said job for 2-3 weeks from starting so it won't help my current situation. I went to Wells Fargo recently to try to get a personal loan. Using the car as collateral, and if I find a cosigner, they've offered me a $5000 loan over 6 years, at $85/mo at only 19% interest... which would be amazing, however my parents won't cosign for it and I can't find anyone else to. This loan would pay off the car, and the electric, and pay for 2 months rent, but without a cosigner I can't do it. The only other option I see is Pay Day loans but I'm smart enough to know that should be avoided... But if I can't find a cosigner what other option do I have?

I think I got everything here, I may add to this post if I find something I've missed. Please help me. I need a large some of money in just a couple of days and I have no idea how I'm going to do this without putting myself into an even deeper hole.

Glad to see you made your own thread.

First things first- you can't attack the enemy until you know who/what it is. Pull your credit report (should be free from annualcreditreport.com once per year, or at the very least you should be able to use the website Credit Karma to set up a free account and get a pretty good idea of what's out there.) Then you can update your numbers in the post above with more exact info as far as creditors/amount owed/payments due/etc.

Was the power bill in both you and your roommate's name or just yours? If it's just yours, is it possible to contact the roommates' parents regarding the $300 accrued there for assistance with that in the same fashion as the rent portion?

The cats are a liability, not an asset. They bring in $0 in income and cost you $60 in food and litter every month. Would you have the willingness to rehome them? I ask because $60 a month would go a long way towards your own food, gas, etc right now.

Once you get the other info, it's going to be more clear where exactly you need to proceed here. Oh, also, please repost the details about the car you bought. I seem to recall the car wasn't that outrageous from the other thread but it's good to have the info here too.

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

Ok, numbers have been updated as far as my credit report is concerned. A pity they won't tell me my score, but Wells Fargo told me the other day. The power bill was in his name, and I was added to it in January. His parents will not help with the bill, because they're convinced that he had June's rent taken care of and hiding in cash in his room, and that I somehow stole it before they got to his things. I've asked already.

I've thought long and hard, many times, about the cats and I can't bring myself to rehome them. Each I've raised since kittenhood. They're my kids, and as dumb of a decision as it may be, I can't bring myself to do it. I know this is detrimental to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You are already broke and are extremely close to being broke and homeless. Your cats are an expense you absolutely cannot afford.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I deal with animals that are surrendered every day because people can't afford them anymore. Yes it's hard but you are not a bad person and you will not be judged because you have to do something like that. Seems like the adult thing to do.

I also get to deal with the people who couldn't afford to get that abscessed tooth checked out and pulled and instead watched their cat die a slow painful death over the course of three months. Hopefully someday we'll get to the point where we can prosecute these cases as animal cruelty/neglect and educate people about the need for regular pet health care but until then... please stop loving adopting animals if you can't even afford an annual vet visit.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 29, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Well, the good news is that your initial guesses on the medical and college bills were both on the high side.

The bad news is that short of a miracle something is going to have to slide.

For starters, when you lost the bartending job did you apply for unemployment? Depending on what exactly you were terminated for (I mean on the company's end if it's a bigger place- you already posted why), there's an outside shot you could still get unemployment for it. Even if they have every right to deny the claim- the company still has to do the paperwork and in the proper timeframe or you'll likely get the benefits. In your situation that would mean everything right now. Worth a shot if you haven't done it.

I'm assuming that you're currently not paying anything on any of the debts listed in that section of the OP. Other than the car, which should have been listed in there and wasn't. :) Are any of these items currently in collections or being taken action on?

I'm not going to argue with your decision on the cats because lord knows I'd sooner starve than let my dog go without anything that she needs. That being said- I have one dog and you have four cats, which not only multiplies potential costs but makes it that much harder for you to find living arrangements. Once things are sorted out financially for you, make it a priority to set aside money for both a general "oh poo poo" fund for them as well as a separate fund for annual vet visits. One bad vet bill could easily equal everything you currently owe.

You have bartending experience but mentioned in the other thread that you're looking for a part-time job for mornings in order to leave time for the insurance gig. You're not going to find a worthwhile morning bartending job unless you have a ton of third shift workers at your local watering hole. Bartend at night, do the insurance thing during the day if you're set on that. Short of jobs like "exotic dancer" or the like, it's going to be exceedingly difficult if not impossible for you to make $2700 in a week starting from scratch with no job so you need to decide quickly who gets shorted first and what the repercussions of this are/who is most willing to give you more time.

Are you able to move back in with parents? Do they know the whole situation or just bits and pieces of what you've told us? I know you mentioned they had to co-sign for the apartment but breaking a lease and moving back in with them probably saves them more money than having to continually float your rent.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A 19% loan on your car is "rapacious", not "amazing", and please don't try to dump that poo poo on a cosigner. It sounds like you have used up all your options in that regard anyway. IllSober is right, something will have to slide. Rent? Car payment? Cats? What will it be? What are your options - unemployment? Live in your car for a while? Find a job that doesn't need a car? Live in a shelter? Give up the cats? All of these suck rear end but you need to be thinking about your plan B.

"Training unpaid, a process they said would take 2 weeks, which actually took 2 months due to a paperwork issue." Sorry but that is some bullshit on their part. You have a poo poo fake-job right now and you need to be looking for legitimate work that doesn't completely screw you.

Sorry to be harsh. I know your situation is awful and stressful and isn't your fault, but you need to be looking for good ways out rather than begging or continuing to sell crap to the uninformed on a 100% commission basis.

E: Oh, and don't forget you can probably at least get free food from the local food pantry. Maybe even cat food, I dunno.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 30, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Get a real job, not a scam job. For real, do you think you just *happened* to make an amazing amount of money the first week, and then nothing else afterwards? Why are random people on the internet spending their time and effort trying to convince you that your job is a bad fake job? And what is the incentive for your boss to tell you the truth? How much money do you get per commission, and why do you think your company can afford to pay you that much? It's easier to hope than to think, but you need to slow down and think about this - a 100% commission job is possibly a good thing if you have the stability to handle the swings of self-employment. Right now you don't, so get a real job and build your way towards stability.

edit: to reiterate, it's not your fault you got sucked into this. But it is your job now to get out of this bad situation, because nobody else can do it for you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Tomorrow, do not go to your non-paying insurance scam job. Spend all day applying for any minimum wage-ish job you can find. If you can pull in 40hr of $10/hr work you'll be ok. Lean on your parents for a little more assistance and get your buddy to float you on the car for another month.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

n8r posted:

Tomorrow, do not go to your non-paying insurance scam job. Spend all day applying for any minimum wage-ish job you can find. If you can pull in 40hr of $10/hr work you'll be ok. Lean on your parents for a little more assistance and get your buddy to float you on the car for another month.

The $300 car payment is biweekly though. :ssh:

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Have you looked into temp agencies? I worked in warehousing & offices doing clerical work in my late teens/early 20s via temp agencies. It wasn't always the best pay, but it was decent and helped me get more experience outside of restaurants/retail. A couple of them did weekly pay, too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Go to a temp employment agency like stated above. Start working that day or go to another temp agency. Repeat until you are motivated to find a better job. Selling insurance with high markup to your parents is not being good at it.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
You should also probably plan to be paying late fees on June's rent, just because they haven't sent you anything doesn't mean they aren't charging you whatever your lease says per day.

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

Ok, so just signed the lease on my new studio. Working on moving out, but it's a bit difficult without the money for a U-Haul. No friends with trucks, and the Acura's hatchback is deceptively small. I told my mom today that I was going to have to get a payday loan knowing that I won't be able to pay it back... she sighed and is hopefully talking to my father about helping me out. They will be paying this month's rent for me at least. Also, leasing company still said nothing about June's rent so.... really hoping that that somehow got overlooked.

Called the power company, and after enough "Can I speak to your supervisor?"s They took care of dead roommate's debt, so that's taken care of. This was my third time trying so there's something to be said for perseverance.

I've been applying for jobs. Talked to my Insurance manager today, in tears, about how I can't afford to keep this up, and she's said she's going to work with me on it. I told her that I was going to HAVE to get a job to supplement this for now, just something guaranteed, and she seemed to understand. I don't want to give this up COMPLETELY, partly because of how much time and energy I invested into it, but mostly because... well, they offer benefits after three months and honestly this is the best chance at a middle class living that I can see for myself right now. Also, I'm good at it, I've just been given some really poo poo leads. Waitressing, I always get stuck at places with no business and yet again work for basically no pay (The good restaurants are RARELY hiring and never call me back when I apply). Retail... isn't a long term solution. I'm going to look rabidly for an entry level office job as well, but I'm going to keep this insurance thing in my back pocket as long as I can and see if I can make it work. I mean, one of my coworkers made over $3,000 last week. I can't argue with that. I understand completely what you all are saying, but... I see it working for other people, and I was with my manager every day for 2 months watching her make sales so I KNOW it can be done. It will just have to work around the schedule of another job.

The car... I mean, I'm friends with this person but not that good of friends. We got a contract notarized and I don't want her to freak that I don't have that payment (because I'm sure she was banking on having it and needs it) especially considering it's only the second payment, and then change her mind about the car. If it's me taking out a payday loan for $150 and giving her AT LEAST that, than that's what it's going to have to be, but she's not well off either and she needs it so I'm going to have to figure out some way to get something to her.

A few things have been worked out but I'm still looking at getting some kind of payday loan in the meantime, if not for the car-payment then at least for the U-Haul that I'm going to need to move all this poo poo.

Gnossiennes posted:

Have you looked into temp agencies? I worked in warehousing & offices doing clerical work in my late teens/early 20s via temp agencies. It wasn't always the best pay, but it was decent and helped me get more experience outside of restaurants/retail. A couple of them did weekly pay, too.

Thank you! I called months ago, but I have a car now and can actually make it out there. Hadn't thought about this since. I'll call tomorrow!

IllegallySober posted:

1-For starters, when you lost the bartending job did you apply for unemployment?
2-Are any of these items currently in collections or being taken action on?
3-Are you able to move back in with parents? Do they know the whole situation or just bits and pieces of what you've told us?

1- I did, it was a no-go. I've never managed to receive unemployment after being fired. I dunno if Virginia is more stringent or what, but it's never worked out.
2- I believe the lease one (3k) is in collections but I don't know what that means. I was supposed to be paying the student loans as of January, but since I'm not on medicare anymore (it's drat near impossible to get in VA) I don't know how I'd qualify to not pay them or what I'd say to them...
3- That's a no-sir. I actually did that last year, this marks the 1yr anniversary of me returning to Richmond. They live in Hawaii (living above their means), so it's exceedingly difficult not only to get there but to live there. Also, I had a bad drinking problem while I was there (no longer!) and they've made it known that that isn't an option available to me anymore. They know just as much as ya'll know... except that I took the money they gave me for June's rent and spent it on gas and food instead.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Start selling possessions on craigslist.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

Start selling possessions on craigslist.
This. Big time.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Your monthly nut is like $2k which is too high for someone in your situation. You need to get that down.

Where do you live? Do you have any skills? You can bartend. You say you can sell. These are skills worth money, what else?

If I were in a situation like this, I would:

- hang out on craigslist gigs for my city, all day every day. I live near Columbus, Ohio which is a medium/large city and there's all kinds of handyman, cleanup, temp work, bartender, and on and on available in gigs right now. You need cash in hand ASAP and this is a way to get it.

- Post in my local town's Facebook group that I was available for dog walking, yard cleanup/light landscaping, babysitting, house sitting, painting, whatever is applicable to your skillset. If someone put a gun to your head and said you had to start a service business what would it be? Do that. You are 24, presumably hygienic, presumably personable, assuming you can talk to people (and if you have been a bartender I am assuming you can) this is doable.

- Start figuring out how to flip things on eBay that you can pick up at estate sales and thrift stores, there are subreddits, Facebook groups, youtube videos and so forth on how to do this. I do this s a hobby because I like thrifting and make about 400% ROI after all fees and expenses, which I think is probably not spectacular for people who do this sort of thing. You could probably make your car payment every month doing this a day or two a week, and since some people enjoy it it's worth mentioning.

- Look for work online, i.e. write for textbroker/content mills, or if you have any other online skills such as design try to leverage them.

There are sales jobs worth it, there's not enough info here to know if you are in one or not. There are some red flags suggesting you are not (100% commission is one, your training paperwork mixup is another.)

If you're staying in that job, watch Glengarry Glen Ross (only half kidding.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Retail may not be a long term solution but right the gently caress now you need a short term solution.

The job market isn't that horrible in Richmond. You can find work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Don't those people that spin signs in roadway medians get paid cash under the table and find that work on CL? I've seen other gigs on there for selling wine in grocery stores, they sounded kinda shady, but at least it's two things you know: selling and booze.

I'd be all about selling all my earthly poo poo and moving back with my parents if they were in HI and I was in your shoes. You could make fuckin bank at a hotel bartending, couldn't you?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Most hotel service staff including the bartenders in Hawaii are foreign workers, you'd be hard pressed to get one to hire an American, plus you'll likely have to speak some Japanese to work at any decent hotel.

I know you just signed a lease so you're pretty much stuck in Richmond, but have you thought about moving somewhere cheaper? The Roanoke/New River Valley part of the state has a decent number of jobs and has a fairly low COL.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I feel like this situation isn't as dire as the OP makes it out to be. I'm pretty sure despite what is being said the parents will continue to bail the OP out.

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Most hotel service staff including the bartenders in Hawaii are foreign workers, you'd be hard pressed to get one to hire an American, plus you'll likely have to speak some Japanese to work at any decent hotel.

^ This. Also, my parents are 45 minutes out from both of the tourist towns, and they said outright that I "wasn't allowed" to have a job in the city. They were worried I might get snatched or something. Seriously, moving in with them is not an option at all.

quote:

I know you just signed a lease so you're pretty much stuck in Richmond, but have you thought about moving somewhere cheaper? The Roanoke/New River Valley part of the state has a decent number of jobs and has a fairly low COL.

I only just got a car a month ago, so I hadn't really considered it... but at the same time I love this city. COL may be down in Roanoake, but I wouldn't be able to walk to get my groceries, wouldn't have as many restaurants to apply at, and wouldn't know a -soul- which is a scary thing to me. I doubt I'd move until I can get the capital to move to Washington state in a couple of years.

n8r posted:

I feel like this situation isn't as dire as the OP makes it out to be. I'm pretty sure despite what is being said the parents will continue to bail the OP out.

For rent? Very likely, given that they cosigned. For anything else? No. They don't have it. I asked for money for food and gas, they don't have it to give.

Ok, so immediate expenses revised: $150 to my friend tomorrow for the car (she said as long as I give her something each bi-week, we're cool), $120 to get car insurance, and money for food and gas for a while. So like $400. I think I'm going to call CashUSA for a payday loan today, as I have nothing to sell. Is there a better payday loan company to go to? I don't know what else to do. Y'all are helping a lot with my future goals, but down to brass tax: How am I going to get this money in the next couple days without completely loving myself? There has to be a way, it can't just be impossible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Before you get a payday loan, how do you plan to pay back this payday loan?

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

I understand completely that I'll be unable to pay it on time or as they'd like. I'm going to have them withdraw from my savings, not my checking, so all I'll have to worry about is phone calls from them, not them stealing whatever I make like they did to my friend. I'm going to have to worry about interest, but... again, I don't see another immediate option. And I've been looking. There's no gigs I can perform, nothing on Craigslist that would give me immediate cash (I've looked).

I mean, I'm working to get a job now, and my boss at the Insurance agency is trying to help me get on my feet with them. I'm going to be doing that whether I get the loan or not, therefore my timeline for getting paid would be the same either way. I'm still looking at two weeks out before I can get a dime, and that's if I'm lucky. I'm not going to be able to even go to a job that I get hired for if I don't have gas, and can't afford food (I have some, but not much).

So I guess my answer is... start paying them back as soon as I can and suffer whatever consequences because... what else can I do? I don't know what else to tell ya. Tried to get a legitimate loan for a substantially larger amount and paying about a quarter of what I'd pay a month for the payday loan, but no cosigner. I even posted on Craigslist looking for a cosigner, and no deal. What else do I got?

I'm not trying to be stubborn here, trust me I do NOT want to take this out. I just need another solution or this is what I'm going to have to do.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pelafina posted:

I understand completely that I'll be unable to pay it on time or as they'd like. I'm going to have them withdraw from my savings, not my checking, so all I'll have to worry about is phone calls from them, not them stealing whatever I make like they did to my friend. I'm going to have to worry about interest, but... again, I don't see another immediate option. And I've been looking. There's no gigs I can perform, nothing on Craigslist that would give me immediate cash (I've looked).

I mean, I'm working to get a job now, and my boss at the Insurance agency is trying to help me get on my feet with them. I'm going to be doing that whether I get the loan or not, therefore my timeline for getting paid would be the same either way. I'm still looking at two weeks out before I can get a dime, and that's if I'm lucky. I'm not going to be able to even go to a job that I get hired for if I don't have gas, and can't afford food (I have some, but not much).

So I guess my answer is... start paying them back as soon as I can and suffer whatever consequences because... what else can I do? I don't know what else to tell ya. Tried to get a legitimate loan for a substantially larger amount and paying about a quarter of what I'd pay a month for the payday loan, but no cosigner. I even posted on Craigslist looking for a cosigner, and no deal. What else do I got?

I'm not trying to be stubborn here, trust me I do NOT want to take this out. I just need another solution or this is what I'm going to have to do.

Why not try what banana said and find some daily odd jobs instead? It'll beat having a pay day loan and I say this from experience. I feel like this is more of an easy way vs hard way decision with long term consequences attached. I mean at least try, right?

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
What is your degree in? Can you do something like become an uber driver, if all else fails? They get paid weekly.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tom Steele posted:

What is your degree in? Can you do something like become an uber driver, if all else fails? They get paid weekly.

Her car is likely far too old to qualify for uber.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Is it feasible to move in with roommates and sublease your studio apartment to knock down your monthly rent? If you're close to VCU you could probably find roommates really easily.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Pelafina posted:

I understand completely that I'll be unable to pay it on time or as they'd like. I'm going to have them withdraw from my savings, not my checking, so all I'll have to worry about is phone calls from them, not them stealing whatever I make like they did to my friend.

It's not "stealing" for them to withdraw money you have agreed to give them back.

You need to go out and sell plasma and hustle whatever jobs you can right now for money.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Her car is likely far too old to qualify for uber.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/lab/5103594263.html

If her car is 2005 or newer it seems to be fine for now - could be doable.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tom Steele posted:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/lab/5103594263.html

If her car is 2005 or newer it seems to be fine for now - could be doable.

It's not.

Pelafina posted:

Assets: 4 cats and 1 car, 2001 Acura Integra with 171k miles, which I just bought. I have $2700 left to pay my friend for it. I have nothing else that'd qualify as a financial asset that I know of.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I'm sure you qualify for food stamps, go apply for that and any other assistance programs available.

Your parents really did you no favor by cosigning for a more expensive apartment. Why wasn't finding an open room on craigslist an option? Was it the cats? Rehome them now. The cats well be better off with someone who can afford medical care and better food. You'll be able to reduce your rent by a few hundred as well as utilities.

(What's up with BFCers being broke, living with a million animals they won't get rid of?)

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Don't you have to have a job and show proof of steady employment/income to get a payday loan? I don't know for sure, never taken one, but I thought that was how it worked.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

something clever posted:

Don't you have to have a job and show proof of steady employment/income to get a payday loan? I don't know for sure, never taken one, but I thought that was how it worked.

Yes. I think it varies state by state add to his much documentation they need. Usually you need a pay stub or two. I can imagine that bringing in one stub for 2000 and another for a few hundred won't fly.

Pelafina posted:

I understand completely that I'll be unable to pay it on time or as they'd like. I'm going to have them withdraw from my savings, not my checking, so all I'll have to worry about is phone calls from them, not them stealing whatever I make like they did to my friend. I'm going to have to worry about interest, but... again, I don't see another immediate option.

And I'm surprised someone didn't point it out already, but repayment can be automatically debited from a checking our savings account. It's not just ducking calls, payday loans are sold directly into collections if you miss a payment.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

something clever posted:

Generally, yes- which is why I haven't been concerned about her getting a payday loan because she's not going to qualify for one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yeah, nobody's going to give her a payday loan without at least a current paystub, so it's a non-issue.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
It sounds like you mostly want permission to get a payday loan, not help.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

imabanana posted:

Welcome to BFC!

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

Actually, I was approved for CashNetUSA without proof, because I explained that I just started the job. I didn't end up taking it though... not yet at least?

I talked to my friend about the car payments. She was visibly very upset, but said that as long as I can pay her off within our 6 month window, then we're fine. She does need the money for something soon though, so if I'm unable to get paid in the next two weeks I am going to take out a $150 payday loan to get that to her.

Still in the process of moving. Haven't needed a U-Haul yet, but my not having one is why it has taken me 3 days to move. Still have a big couch and bed/mattress/headboard that we're somehow going to have to carry for two blocks, but HOPEFULLY that's not too impossible.

So... Immediate expenses update: Food and Gas. Yay. I've applied to McDonalds, Lowes, and emailed every restaurant who is on craigslist looking for servers, and I'm also trolling for office jobs but I see nothing that doesn't ask for previous experience in that field. Working on it though. That specific McDonalds said they were hiring, so I'm going to be REALLY dissapointed if I don't get a call back from them... I mean, how low do I gotta be to not get a call back from them of all people?

So it seems that for now, I'm job searching and waiting for something to come from that. Maybe I was catastrophising? But I was having genuine anxiety attacks about this, it seemed legitimately catastrophic at the time. My needs are still pretty dire, but thankfully there were a handful of people willing to work with me who I didn't expect to.

imabanana posted:

Permission? No, I'm going to do what I have to do. I was looking for advice... anyone with experience taking one of those out, or maybe a least worst company I can go to. That, or an alternative way to get money down in a short time frame.

Knyteguy posted:

Why not try what banana said and find some daily odd jobs instead? It'll beat having a pay day loan and I say this from experience. I feel like this is more of an easy way vs hard way decision with long term consequences attached. I mean at least try, right?

Looking for things, and probably going to post on Craigslist that I can do whatever anyone wants that doesn't involve hard labor for a small fee. I tried to apply to TaskRabbit, but they don't operate in Richmond it seems. Does anyone know of things similar to TaskRabbit, because I LOVED that idea? But I'm trolling the Gigs section on Craigslist now that I know it exists so hopefully I can pick up an odd job or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Pelafina posted:

So... Immediate expenses update: Food and Gas. Yay. I've applied to McDonalds, Lowes, and emailed every restaurant who is on craigslist looking for servers, and I'm also trolling for office jobs but I see nothing that doesn't ask for previous experience in that field. Working on it though. That specific McDonalds said they were hiring, so I'm going to be REALLY dissapointed if I don't get a call back from them... I mean, how low do I gotta be to not get a call back from them of all people?

Keep in mind that job posting "requirements" are actually more of a wishlist. FWIW my first job out of college with zero experience said it required 5 years' experience on the posting, so just apply to everything you're mostly qualified for. The worst that can happen is they say no.

• Locked thread