Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Just finished playing this game for the first time, only had 3 survivors. I was fine with Josh getting his head crushed and Emily dying due to my QTE uselessness on the grinder (Keep going on the fast mining equipment! What could go wrong!) but I thought the deaths of Ashley, Sam & Chris were a bit crap. I read the Hunter's book, but having just seen Jessica wake up I was convinced it was her, so I sent Ashley off to save her. I figured the game had never played this trick before and wouldn't introduce a new mechanic in Chapter 9, so I'd probably rescue her with Ashley. But no. Head gone. Then I play as Chris and obviously go "Oh I am NOT going down to the trap door again.." so I head down the opposite tunnel and just walking along and his head is ripped off! No QTE! Just a death I walked into! That one pissed me right off. Meanwhile, Sam was onto her 4th DON'T MOVE (I kept having her hide because I figured she couldn't outrun the wendigos.) before biting it. The drat controller was DOWN and the vibrating of the game set it off. Bullllshiiitttt.

So only Jess, Mike & Matt survived my game. If I was going to change one thing though? MAKE EVERYONE MOVE FASTER! Cardio people, a bit of loving cardio!

Still really enjoyed it.

Did the game sell really well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Did the game sell really well?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/10/09/supermassive-games-until-dawn-2-being-discussed-sales-surpassed-expectations/#/slide/1

The devs said it 'Surpassed expectations' and they're internally discussing a sequel. There's the VR spin-off coming too.

Being a teen horror movie lends itself well to sequel, just pick another bunch of rear end in a top hat-ish teenagers in an isolated place and subject them to some horrors. Hopefully there wouldn't be any returning characters as that'd canonise certain characters fates.

(That doesn't apply to Dr Stormare, he ruled and needs to be in any sequel)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even if they don't make a direct sequel I really want the team that made it to make something else. It's the first game of its type to really, properly grab me.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
So how do the episodes work after you complete the game? It looks like it doesn't save stuff if I go back and change something in an episode and then jump to a later one (which makes sense), but I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to use this to actually make different decisions and see different results in later chapters.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Spalec posted:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/10/09/supermassive-games-until-dawn-2-being-discussed-sales-surpassed-expectations/#/slide/1

The devs said it 'Surpassed expectations' and they're internally discussing a sequel. There's the VR spin-off coming too.

Being a teen horror movie lends itself well to sequel, just pick another bunch of rear end in a top hat-ish teenagers in an isolated place and subject them to some horrors. Hopefully there wouldn't be any returning characters as that'd canonise certain characters fates.

(That doesn't apply to Dr Stormare, he ruled and needs to be in any sequel)

No make it the exact same cast of assholes and put them in a different horror movie situation every game. The gang goes on a senior trip to Japan and gets haunted by a vengeful ghost. Emily gets a job in an Antarctic research facility and the gang comes down to celebrate her birthday and the Thing crash-lands in the lab. In 2150 or whatever the gang is going on a vacation to Space Cancun and Mike gets grabbed by a facehugger. I will buy all the sequels if they keep these idiots.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 23, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Solomonic posted:

No make it the exact same cast of assholes and put them in a different horror movie situation every game. The gang goes on a senior trip to Japan and gets haunted by a vengeful ghost. Emily gets a job in an Antarctic research facility and the gang comes down to celebrate her birthday and the Thing crash-lands in the lab. In 2150 or whatever the gang is going on a vacation to Space Cancun and Mike gets grabbed by a facehugger. I will buy all the sequels if they keep these idiots.

Do what Higurashi did: same assholes, different murder mystery each game. Who turns out to be the antagonist in one scenario is totally innocent in another, just to screw with people.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

sighnoceros posted:

So how do the episodes work after you complete the game? It looks like it doesn't save stuff if I go back and change something in an episode and then jump to a later one (which makes sense), but I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to use this to actually make different decisions and see different results in later chapters.

The results are almost identical even if you try to make "opposite" decisions, so don't bother.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

So my brother and I like to play single players games when we're together, like we argue about choices in Alpha Protocol or switch off when we die in Alien Isolation, that kind of thing. I thought it'd be fun to play this game where we each have our own characters to play. Does anyone have an idea on how much each character gets used and what might be a relatively balanced split?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Chronicles posted:

So my brother and I like to play single players games when we're together, like we argue about choices in Alpha Protocol or switch off when we die in Alien Isolation, that kind of thing. I thought it'd be fun to play this game where we each have our own characters to play. Does anyone have an idea on how much each character gets used and what might be a relatively balanced split?

Every character is playable at least once in the game and there are choices that affect outcomes. You won't be told which choices are important and what aren't until after the effect kicks in long after the cause, but there's a handy menu that helps you keep track.

Don't worry about saving everyone the first time through; not possible without foreknowledge of events, unless you get lucky. Besides, even endings where most characters die feel like "proper" endings since Until Dawn is a horror movie, after all.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Right, but are there characters that get played as much more than others? That sort of thing

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Chronicles posted:

Right, but are there characters that get played as much more than others? That sort of thing

Youre better off just passing the controller each time the character changes. It doesnt really make sense to try and be a character as theres so many.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Alternatively, do a split where one of you is all girls and one of you all guys, I think it's pretty even in that regard.

If you don't want to do that, off the top of my head, (spoilers re. how much characters get used) Mike, Sam, Chris, Emily get the most attention in terms of playable chapters, so Mike/Emily/any of the other four and Sam/Chris/any of the other four or Mike/Chris/any and Sam/Emily/any should be a good combo too. You can do the in-between chapter bits by alternating.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Chronicles posted:

don't assign someone josh. cheers

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

We just kind of let it happen and ended up with Mike/Chris/Josh/Jessica and Matt/Emily/Ashley/Sam. It turned out pretty even. Was pretty fun, but not sure how much replayability it will have.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chronicles posted:

We just kind of let it happen and ended up with Mike/Chris/Josh/Jessica and Matt/Emily/Ashley/Sam. It turned out pretty even. Was pretty fun, but not sure how much replayability it will have.

Unfortunately it has more or less zero replayability unless you really feel guilty about letting someone die or REALLY hate someone and want to kill them this time around

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The game is good at presenting the illusion of replayability your first time though. In reality it has practically zero though. If you go through trying to make the "opposite" decision every single time you're given the opportunity everything's still roughly 94% the same poo poo. And all those slow walk-around sections..

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The worst thing is that the big parts of the game still have to happen regardless, so a lot of the danger is entirely visual and bending over backwards to save someone often results in them just reacting in backgrounds somewhere

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Does anyone know what kind of actions you take have an effect on the outcome? Is it only the ones that have a butterfly effect? Does quicktime success/failure affect it? I'm at the scene where Josh has to choose whether to save Josh or Ashley. I've seen this scene before, so I knew it was coming, but as I was approaching the building where they were being held I was trying to explore the area as much as possible to see if I can find any clues/totems/alternate routes or anything that could possibly allow me to prevent getting that cutscene, but a door close behind me and then I triggered the cutscene before I was able to explore the entire building. How do you avoid that choice? Also it's bullshit that there is no "do nothing" option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subyng posted:

Does anyone know what kind of actions you take have an effect on the outcome? Is it only the ones that have a butterfly effect? Does quicktime success/failure affect it? I'm at the scene where Josh has to choose whether to save Josh or Ashley. I've seen this scene before, so I knew it was coming, but as I was approaching the building where they were being held I was trying to explore the area as much as possible to see if I can find any clues/totems/alternate routes or anything that could possibly allow me to prevent getting that cutscene, but a door close behind me and then I triggered the cutscene before I was able to explore the entire building. How do you avoid that choice? Also it's bullshit that there is no "do nothing" option.

That scene is unavoidable.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That scene is unavoidable.

Does that mean saving both is impossible? I'm just gonna not make a choice and see what happens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subyng posted:

Does that mean saving both is impossible? I'm just gonna not make a choice and see what happens

It's not really possible to answer your question without spoiling unfortunately, sorry.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Alright well I made a choice. Was there anything to explore in/around that building before I got sucked in to the cutscene?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Don't worry about it for now. Saving everyone is usually only possible in hindsight, once you know exactly what affects things.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just play through the game once and assume that your choices made a difference.

e: Also the exploration aspect is really poorly implemented. You walk super loving slow and there are so many areas that don't reward you for exploring at all.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

a cop posted:

Just play through the game once and assume that your choices made a difference.

e: Also the exploration aspect is really poorly implemented. You walk super loving slow and there are so many areas that don't reward you for exploring at all.

The atmosphere was done so well I really didn't mind at all.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Speedball posted:

Don't worry about it for now. Saving everyone is usually only possible in hindsight, once you know exactly what affects things.

Yeah, Matt just died in my playthrough. I was pretty pissed about it since I had TWO visions of him dying, and then he dies in a third, most bullshit way possible. I looked up how you're supposed to keep him alive and it's totally unintuitive. Like, I guess it's not about trying to game the "best" outcome or whatever, but it's just super jarring to give the player control of a character and make it seem like there's some kind of logic or pattern behind the cause->effect relationships of your actions, and then say "gently caress it" with something that's totally arbitrary.

For example, oh, if you left the bat in the boiler room, you can use it against the psycho clown. Makes sense. Except that doesn't matter because the next time you decide to run or hide, if you run you'll get caught and if you hide you have a chance to escape...except, why? What's the logic behind that?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 4, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Subyng posted:

Yeah, Matt just died in my playthrough. I was pretty pissed about it since I had TWO visions of him dying, and then he dies in a third, most bullshit way possible. I looked up how you're supposed to keep him alive and it's totally unintuitive. Like, I guess it's not about trying to game the "best" outcome or whatever, but it's just super jarring to give the player control of a character and make it seem like there's some kind of logic or pattern behind the cause->effect relationships of your actions, and then say "gently caress it" with something that's totally arbitrary.

For example, oh, if you left the bat in the boiler room, you can use it against the psycho clown. Makes sense. Except that doesn't matter because the next time you decide to run or hide, if you run you'll get caught and if you hide you have a chance to escape...except, why? What's the logic behind that?

the world is a cruel place and the world of a horror film or game is even crueler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Didn't realize this thread was still up. I think it must be buggy since I've been replaying since chapter 4 (for a save everyone run), then accidentally got mike killed in episode 9. So I selected episode 9 from the select and now in the butterfly effect screen I see all my choices from the first playthrough active in the butterfly effect (since I saw Matt and Jessica die in the previously on). Couldn't fix that in 3 patches eh Supermassive

• Locked thread