Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

while it is a little disappointing to hear that major plot events don't change based on your decisions (which seemed extremely possible after knowing how the story plays out and how there are multiple red herrings), i'm still looking forward to getting into it myself and mucking up massively. if this is the game that gets us to the game, i.e. the quantic dream-esque game where a branching story really branches, more so the better.

Basically there are events that change but they're pretty fixed.

A) Dialogue changes based off character's relationship/stat meters but as near as I can tell this is almost entirely cosmetic. Having low Bravery doesn't seem to prevent characters from making Brave choices or whatever.
B) Dialogue changes based off Clues you find in the environment but this mostly seems to boil down to characters going "I found something that said (X!)" There is at least one case where this is mandatory to keeping a character alive but...
C) The above two are eclipsed by Butterfly Effect choices. These are listed under the Butterfly Effect menu and as near as I can tell are the only thing that alters how scenes play out. If something shows up in a Butterfly Effect menu it can change how later scenes play out. So while finding a Clue helps keep a character alive, it only matters because it shows up in the Butterfly Effect menu.\

The character relationships and friendships can vary by the ending so it isn't entirely fixed but it seems within a fairly thin margin. (i.e: "Characters hooked up/characters broke up" stuff.)

Once you finish the game you can choose to start from any episode in order to change decisions you've made. If there's one thing I think the game should have done it was hide the butterfly effect menu until you've finished the game so you don't know by default that you made a Significant Decision.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fingers crossed this is gonna be a good Halloween event where I and 20 other drunk/stoned idiots huddle into a living room, throw this on and yell stupid poo poo at the television screen in a 10-hour marathon.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

motherfucker stole my pun

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/until-dawn-review/

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I responded to ad at Sony and playtested this game last week. Is it normal for games to still be being playtested that close to release?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

I responded to ad at Sony and playtested this game last week. Is it normal for games to still be being playtested that close to release?

It might have been for a day-1 patch or something. The game didn't have any bugs at all as near as I can tell except for one possible one. (A character telling another character that he is "covered in blood" from a character dying, except the character didn't die and he didn't have any blood on him so ...?)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

When I played it every character had glassy eyes like they couldn't focus on each others faces. When they introduced the one guy I thought "oh so this guys character thing is that he's autistic" but no, they were all doing it.

For what its worth I agree with the polygon 6.5 review. Its a game that sorta sucks in a lot of ways but is strangely compelling in others. I only got to play a three hour chunk though.

Also, I got a theory on what the twist is that I want to record in case it turns out to be true

Early on in the game one of the characters finds "A bunch of old movie props" lying around in the basement of the house.

My suspicion from that point is that at least some of the deaths are prop assisted fake outs, and characters who "die" in the game may come back for the end

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 24, 2015

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

massive spider posted:

When I played it every character had glassy eyes like they couldn't focus on each others faces. When they introduced the one guy I thought "oh so this guys character thing is that he's autistic" but no, they were all doing it.

For what its worth I agree with the polygon 6.5 review. Its a game that sorta sucks in a lot of ways but is strangely compelling in others. I only got to play a three hour chunk though.

Also, I got a theory on what the twist is that I want to record in case it turns out to be true

Early on in the game one of the characters finds "A bunch of old movie props" lying around in the basement of the house.

My suspicion from that point is that at least some of the deaths are prop assisted fake outs, and characters who "die" in the game may come back for the end

you are correct. however there's still more to it than that.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The reviews are more positive than I was expecting, to be honest. Since I enjoy dumb Quantic Dream games and Telltale-style adventures, I'm feeling like this is a pretty safe bet.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Just started playing and these guys are assholes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i squealed at stormare's first appearance

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anyone know how long after release a redbox usually starts stocking a game?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

HAS A CRUSH ON ASHLEY

VERY LITTLE TO DISTINGUISH HIM OTHERWISE

PROBABLY GOING TO DIE

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

anyone know how long after release a redbox usually starts stocking a game?

I picked it up at like 12:05.

Im trying to play this but after they prank Hannah(the very beginning) and it goes back to Beth I get the hourglass icon and it just hangs up there. Pressing statt changes the screen but nothing shows. Pressing r1 changes it too but nothing shows and I cant exit it.

I have to unplug my ps4 to even exit the game now. Close application wont work.

Edit: its working now. Third times a charm

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 25, 2015

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm glad i told this game i'm scared of clowns. this lovely thing jumped out of the ground to oblige my fear.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

HAS A CRUSH ON ASHLEY

VERY LITTLE TO DISTINGUISH HIM OTHERWISE

PROBABLY GOING TO DIE

"Just find the deodorant! You know where it is!"
I got lost for roughly ten minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i'm glad i told this game i'm scared of clowns. this lovely thing jumped out of the ground to oblige my fear.

Did anyone NOT pick the clown?

I mean it'd make more sense if the clown picture was a normal picture and not TERRORCLOWN. Nobody is not going to pick TERRORCLOWN.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

there's a feature you can turn on where it'll show global choice percentages a la walking dead, but i don't want to use it if it's intrusive. would be interested to know who else pulled a mad dash down the mountain to save jessica and i bet the people who saved ashley over josh is somewhere in the high 90s

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ImpAtom posted:

Did anyone NOT pick the clown?

I mean it'd make more sense if the clown picture was a normal picture and not TERRORCLOWN. Nobody is not going to pick TERRORCLOWN.

Overall, is it worth 60? I normally agree with your opinion on games.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hm, well, i think heavy rain was an even bigger influence on the developers than previously thought since i just saw a character cut off his own fingers. i even found the totem for it and everything, but it still happened because i'm an idiot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Overall, is it worth 60? I normally agree with your opinion on games.

I can't really say it is worth $60 but it isn't bad. It's sort of an ideal rental game basically. It's very much like The Walking Dead or Heavy Rain or whatnot where it doesn't really stand up well to multiple replays and it isn't very long on its own.

hm, well, i think heavy rain was an even bigger influence on the developers than previously thought since i just saw a character cut off his own fingers. i even found the totem for it and everything, but it still happened because i'm an idiot.

You escape entirely unscathed if you just keep trying to escape.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ImpAtom posted:

You escape entirely unscathed if you just keep trying to escape.

*whispers* i kind of wanted it to happen as karmic revenge for the death prank. truly i am the puppet master.

also, i found a cool wolf pal! 2015 really is the year of the dog for games

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really say it is worth $60 but it isn't bad. It's sort of an ideal rental game basically. It's very much like The Walking Dead or Heavy Rain or whatnot where it doesn't really stand up well to multiple replays and it isn't very long on its own.

Ok thanks :)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I never heard of this game until I read about it in the PS4 megathread. How long is the game? I was thinking about picking it up at redbox for a rental but I might wait until the weekend if it'll take longer then 6 hours to complete

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I never heard of this game until I read about it in the PS4 megathread. How long is the game? I was thinking about picking it up at redbox for a rental but I might wait until the weekend if it'll take longer then 6 hours to complete

My first playthrough was around 6 hours.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So should I buy this game yes or yes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is it good horror or is it just hundreds of jump scares?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

My first playthrough was around 6 hours.

Thanks, then it shouldn't take longer then 3 days to complete for me.

I just noticed that the guy from the Pacific is in this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

It's real heavy on the jump scares and body horror basically.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ymgve posted:

both. i've been jump scared a few times and i've found the action sequences (especially the ones where you CANNOT MOVE the lightbar) to be extremely tense.

also there's stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg_xauk6jRE

and this (minor spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkC41Wvohz0

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That second vid is kind of a spoiler.

I didn't find it scary at all TBH, fear in games to me is feeling vulnerable and you're never really in danger aside from during QTEs (although there are a few in the game that can wipe a character off the board with one failure, no redos).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ymgve posted:

What I find interesting is that its sub-genre kind of changes up based upon your performance. There are a couple of weird Saw moments no matter what, but it seems like if you're doing well, where "well" is determined by how many characters are on track for survival, it's weird creepy mounting horror, and if you aren't, it can get exceptionally gory.

I had no idea I could get Emily killed in an ore crusher. :gonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, I do have to wonder:

When is the absolute earliest you can get Mike or Sam killed? Is it only in the Lodge? The only Death totem I ever found for Mike was straight-up the final scene of the game, but it feels like he at least should have a pretty good number of potential deaths during the sanatorium chase. Sam seems like she's got plot immunity until the very end though, I don't think she's ever actually at risk until the final lodge sequence.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There's a Wikia for Until Dawn that says there's at least one other opportunity to get Mike killed, but I have no idea where it'd be. Maybe if you screw up in the second trip through the sanitarium?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sanitorium seems to be the logical place, Sam is the final girl who gets to the last scene no matter what.

Also Chris Can apparantly get killed if your relationship with Ashley is in the shitter, she hesitates opening the door for him and he gets Wendigot.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

massive spider posted:

Yes. One of the benefits to the current publishing environment is that you can be checking for bugs right up until the day the game comes out, if you have to.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

pretty much all the "everyone dies" playthroughs that people have uploaded have been deaths incurred while playing the game in good faith up to the end, but i'm really looking forward to doing an "every stupid action" playthrough where people just fall off cliffs or slip and land on a loaded gun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

Sanitorium seems to be the logical place, Sam is the final girl who gets to the last scene no matter what.

Also Chris Can apparantly get killed if your relationship with Ashley is in the shitter, she hesitates opening the door for him and he gets Wendigot.

yeah, the deaths as near as I can tell:

Sam is safe until the lodge.
Mike is safe until at least the second sanatorium visit
Chris can die if Ashley locks him out or if you leave him behind. If he gets past that is he basically safe.
Emily can get QTE'd or shot. If she survives that she is basically safe.
Ashley can die if she goes off by herself.
Matt can get hooked if he doesn't have the flare gun and can get pushed off the cliff by the stags.
Jess can die during the chase or die during the mines.
Troy can only die during the last chapter rescue for obvious reasons.

Anyone who survived and is in the lodge can get blown up during the Lodge sequence, I think, if they haven't already escaped before you set off the explosion.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

btw wanderer if you want to finish up your faq from the other thread and send it to me i can edit it into the op. it looked like you were doing some good work.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was just gonna add to that as the thread developed. When you have a single-game thread, a few questions usually pop up every page, page and a half, and I like to be efficient about that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

yeah, the deaths as near as I can tell:

A stream I saw matt Missed one QTE and got an absolutely brutal face caving punch from a wendigo

• Locked thread