Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the length input everyone.

The Bananana posted:

Has anyone noticed the "teens" all look like late 20's early 30-somethings?

You should try watching Twin Peaks some time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Something kinda bothering me about the psycho, big spoilers. Josh goes through all this effort to make everyone poo poo themselves in revenge for what happened to his sisters. But Mike and Jess are the ones who are most culpable for the whole thing and he just sends them off to the love shack with no strings attached outside of maybe that jump scare with the truck. Yeah cannibal monsters but he didn't know about those.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I ended up buying it because I had some best buy certificates and the gamer club 20% off. Got it for $10-15.

The game is seriously fantastic. I have jumped quite a bit and have been scared quite a bit - I love the character development, the personalities of the characters, the choices you can make, and the exploration pieces. Last night, all the lights off, home theater cranked on a big screen, is the greatest experience I have had yet with a horror game. I would say the only game from an atmosphere and scare point would be Eternal Darkness, but it's running drat near to a tie right now with the amount of times I have jumped or been on pins and needles.

Fantastic game. I am about 4-5 hours in and just finished the Asylum area

How much longer roughly do I have left? Looking at Butterfly effects it seems I am about 45% of the way through, but I am not sure if that is a good gauge of game time.

Also, I have the option on to see the percentages of other choices. I hope it isn't affecting my choices. Next play through I may turn that off.

I also like the extras. The cast interviews, making of, etc.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caidin posted:

Something kinda bothering me about the psycho, big spoilers. Josh goes through all this effort to make everyone poo poo themselves in revenge for what happened to his sisters. But Mike and Jess are the ones who are most culpable for the whole thing and he just sends them off to the love shack with no strings attached outside of maybe that jump scare with the truck. Yeah cannibal monsters but he didn't know about those.

Yeah, in retrospect, that's been bothering me too. He says at one point that he's really pissed at Chris because they were close, but if his goal is going after people because of the prank, he's working in almost directly reverse order of involvement. Sam wasn't responsible for it at all, but Josh goes after her pretty specifically.

I'm assuming that Emily and Matt are absent for so long because of the pre-order bonus scenario that I've heard they're in.

Also, I swear the cabin is supposed to be a specific callback to the one from Evil Dead 2. It is way bigger than it looks and there's an abandoned hotel linked up to it, which is linked up to the asylum?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

my need to examine every glinting object has gone and lost someone their head. a worthy punishment for the obsessive player.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

my need to examine every glinting object has gone and lost someone their head. a worthy punishment for the obsessive player.

I assume that is more the result of you deciding to go off alone in a horror movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

well there WAS a totem down there. i wanted to get all the collectibles! which i did.

finished the game with only one death, ashley, the aforementioned curious character.

in addition to playing through doing every dumb thing possible, i'm also thinking about a "hollywood" playthrough that conforms to the genre rules of horror:

1) either matt, as the minority character, or jess, as the Woman Who Has Sex, bite it first. but both are killed, regardless

2) chris shoots ashley instead of himself and is left to get decapitated while a vengeful ashley watches

3) ashley, who got big time negative karma for letting chris die and encouraging mike to shoot emily, goes off alone and loses her head

4) emily is shot by mike, only for the kids to find the bite isn't contagious

5) josh is carried off by hannahdigo to give us the sequel hook

6) sam and mike are left as survivors. or sam lets mike get burned due to his shooting emily. but that seems out of character for sam

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Caidin posted:

yeah, but, he's crazy. I think it was more about the loyalty of the people he trusted like Sam and Chris.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, in retrospect, that's been bothering me too. He says at one point that he's really pissed at Chris because they were close, but if his goal is going after people because of the prank, he's working in almost directly reverse order of involvement. Sam wasn't responsible for it at all, but Josh goes after her pretty specifically.

He loving tortures poor Chris, who (IIRC) was passed out drunk next to him during the whole prank. What the what?

I can't say I'm not loving this game though. Terrible film genres adapt really well into this medium. Can't wait to start my thoroughly spoiled hero playthrough, then my bumbling idiot playthrough.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Regarding Ashley,

What happens if you pick her to get sawed in half?

If you choose to have her go off solo, can you do anything down there besides open the trap door, or does making that choice lock you into decapitation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Regarding Ashley,

If you choose to have her go off solo, can you do anything down there besides open the trap door, or does making that choice lock you into decapitation?

I think it picks the same choice regardless of who you choose, it just pisses Ashley off. You see him rigging the saw in one of the flashbacks. Within the context I think it makes it feel like the psycho was going "haha, you killed the one you wanted to save" instead.

I'm pretty sure it locks you into decapitation but I'm tempted to check.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wanderer posted:

Regarding Ashley,

the saw goes to josh anyway. in the reveal montage it shows how no matter what, the lever would move the saw to the right. but picking josh definitely affects your relationship with ashley.

you can drop down out of harm's way. i walked through, grabbed the totem and was about to drop when i went against all instinct and opened the trap door.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

On my initial run, I walked out of there with four out of eight survivors.

Matt was the first one to actually die, because I had him agree with Emily's plan for the tower and he used up the flare gun on signaling for rescue. Ashley died due to the aforementioned schmuck bait, Josh got his head squished because I missed whatever piece of information was needed for him to recognize Hannah, and I botched the final "hold still" event and Sam got impaled. I actually managed to save Jessica while running blind, which astonishes me; she's supposed to be the hard one to save.

It was almost directly opposite what I intended to happen. I am a little surprised about Mike, because I'm more or less up to date on "Agents of SHIELD" and was expecting him to be a killer or turn into a Wendigo or something because that's loving Grant Ward, plus there's a totem you can find at one point which looks a lot like Mike turning into a Wendigo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It was almost directly opposite what I intended to happen. I am a little surprised about Mike, because I'm more or less up to date on "Agents of SHIELD" and was expecting him to be a killer or turn into a Wendigo or something because that's loving Grant Ward, plus there's a totem you can find at one point which looks a lot like Mike turning into a Wendigo.

That's actually Josh in the totem.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's actually Josh in the totem.

Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight, I get that now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think it picks the same choice regardless of who you choose, it just pisses Ashley off. You see him rigging the saw in one of the flashbacks. Within the context I think it makes it feel like the psycho was going "haha, you killed the one you wanted to save" instead.

I'm pretty sure it locks you into decapitation but I'm tempted to check.

I picked to save ashley. The saw trap is deliberately ambiguous, since its not clear whether moving the lever to a characters picture is choosing to save or kill them. SO when the saw started moving towards Josh Chris was all "oh god I made a mistake gently caress"

I thought that was ambiguity was a design flaw at first but its quite cool.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My favorite death was Matt. He and Emily were cornered by the Elk at the bluff, who backed him up after he merked one of them with an ax, and as I shimmied across the edge I missed a single QTE and he fell to his death breaking his face open on a rock.

A perfect end for the ultimate beta that I played Matt as.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The slow walking + unskippable cutscenes are really sullying the prospect of multiple runs, for me. I wish they gave you some tools to speed things up.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

a cop posted:

The slow walking + unskippable cutscenes are really sullying the prospect of multiple runs, for me. I wish they gave you some tools to speed things up.

Dang do they really not let you skip stuff after beating the stupid game? Also, did anyone else think it was big-time insane that they didn't let you skip the Previously On The Game You Bought And Are Playing bits between chapters?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a cop posted:

You can skip to any chapter in the game at least.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

You can skip to any chapter in the game at least.

But isn't that only based upon the last run you did? When I selected a chapter after I beat my game it had all the conditions of the game I just played.

bigass jncos posted:

Dang do they really not let you skip stuff after beating the stupid game? Also, did anyone else think it was big-time insane that they didn't let you skip the Previously On The Game You Bought And Are Playing bits between chapters?

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Really fun game but don't think I'll be able to stand all that again, solidifying it as the perfect Redbox experience. Beat it well within 24h.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

added the most difficult saves to the faq in the second post. anyone else thinks of a good question worth editing in, let me know.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
Also, the personality system felt neat but didn't do all that much. It was cool to see how the game thought I was playing each character, though.

I'm sure the original implementation locked certain choices off if you weren't brave enough, but it'd be cool if going "against" your character's persona meant that you had to spend more time "deciding" on that action. So if you're me, a coward, deciding to jump over a scary gap would take more time. If you don't decide to be cool quick enough, the beta tendencies you exhibit come back to haunt you when you end up doing nothing and everyone ends up kissing the cool jock guy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"beta"? Really?

bigass jncos posted:

I do wonder if this was going to be an episodic release at some point along the line, like Life is Strange.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Well I beat the game with only 3/8 survivors, Sam, Emily, and Matt.

Deaths Ashley got her noggin ripped off, but not before she let Chris die because he shot her.
Jessica isn't very good at deep throat and was pulled apart. I KNEW I should've hid here but I chose to run. Oops.
I chose to run for the light instead of hide, which killed Mike. I was concerned this would happen but I was hoping that Mike would run too...
Josh is a wendigo now. Does that always happen?

My dream team to survive was Sam/Mike/Chris/Ashley.

In regards to Matt, why does he disappear for hours only to reappear for a few minutes at the end and easily survive? I think there was like an hour+ until dawn and the butterfly already said he survived.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Schroeder91 posted:

In regards to Matt, why does he disappear for hours only to reappear for a few minutes at the end and easily survive? I think there was like an hour+ until dawn and the butterfly already said he survived.

I get the feeling that there are a couple of potential survivors who are there to get almost unavoidably merked, just to raise the stakes and tension for the rest of the game, and that's Matt and Jessica. The game assumes they're going to be dead, so they have zero plot relevance going into the game's back half. If they do live, they luck into being in one of the least accessible parts of the mine at a point in time when Mike's sanitarium rampage has drawn most of the surviving Wendigos away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I do wonder if this was going to be an episodic release at some point along the line, like Life is Strange.

It feels like it. It's framed a lot like The Walking Dead or Life is Strange and some of the chapter breaks make a lot more sense as a weekly thing.

Schroeder91 posted:

Matt and Jess were basically written with the assumption that they died and so their survival is kind of an afterthought. Presumably because in true horror movie fashion they are the black guy and the sex-loving girl.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 26, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Matt and Jess were basically written with the assumption that they died and so their survival is kind of an afterthought. Presumably because in true horror movie fashion they are the black guy and the sex-loving girl.

That makes sense I guess. Although I don't remember anything happening to Matt as he jumped away and leaving Emily to die

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Schroeder91 posted:

Well I beat the game with only 3/8 survivors, Sam, Emily, and Matt.

Deaths
Josh is a wendigo now. Does that always happen?

No. If you don't tell him about his sister's "journal", he won't recognize the tattoo on the Wendigo and call on his sister, which is the only thing that spares him from getting his skull mushed.

That's what I've read anyway, because I got the same outcome as you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've only barely played past the prologue but I like what I've seen so far. The bit with the black totem foretelling your own death, but the purple jacket being switched has me curious...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

started from chapter 6 on a trophy cleanup and boy is it a gut punch when ashley lets chris die outside the lodge. totally turns you around on that character.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

started from chapter 6 on a trophy cleanup and boy is it a gut punch when ashley lets chris die outside the lodge. totally turns you around on that character.

How did this occur? Didn't happen in my game and Ashley was my favorite character.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a cop posted:

How did this occur? Didn't happen in my game and Ashley was my favorite character.

if you "shoot" ashley during the psycho's second trial, your relationship drops and she doesn't let you back into the lodge. chris gets a wendigo claw through the throat.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

if you "shoot" ashley during the psycho's second trial, your relationship drops and she doesn't let you back into the lodge. chris gets a wendigo claw through the throat.

Ah ok. I got the totem telling me to just not fire the gun so that's what I did. Can I assume that if you choose to kill the girl with the saw it kills the bro anyway?.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a cop posted:

Ah ok. I got the totem telling me to just not fire the gun so that's what I did. Can I assume that if you choose to kill the girl with the saw it kills the bro anyway?.

yep, the saw will hit josh no matter what, it's rigged to "kill" him under any circumstances. i don't know if this will be enough for ashley to let chris die, but it sure won't help matters!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

yep, the saw will hit josh no matter what, it's rigged to "kill" him under any circumstances. i don't know if this will be enough for ashley to let chris die, but it sure won't help matters!

Dang that's disappointing. Thanks for the info!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

This is what happened on mine. Made my jaw drop.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

drat, testing out some different options and this game railroads you super hard. One day we'll get a short, awesome adventure game story type thing with lots of branches. One day...

Game was still a lot of fun for 1 playthrough though.

That's not to say there's zero variability, I just hate the thing where it gives you two options that turn out almost exactly the same way, and it does that quite a few times.

e: Also who didn't call the brother being the psycho right at the beginning? Dude had all kinds of crazy eyes going on in that vid.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 27, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

"beta"? Really?

The first scene he's in he carries all the bags for his girlfriend up a mountain who immediately runs off to talk to her ex in private so I just played him like that and made every limp decision I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have no idea what's going on yet but someone sure just died. RIP "Get everyone out alive" trophy.

• Locked thread