Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Or alternately they might not be able to die there. On that note what happens if you kick the wolf?

The wolf backs down but won't let you approach it and then you befriend it by giving it a bone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beat the game. gotta say i saw the twists coming a mile away and by the end i was more happy that the qte bullshit was over than that any of the kids lived

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So what happens if you choose to save Josh in the saw trap instead of Ashley? Does she just die right there?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Obviously a Redbox rental, but I think the combo of loving incredible production values and the premise being rad (rather than a lunatic Frenchman's Ellen Page fan fiction or a slapdash delivery vehicle for a Tumblrite's terrible manifesto/poetry) really gave it legs compared to other, low-rent walking sims.

I managed to keep everyone alive, and it struck me that if this had been an actual horror movie, it would have sucked because no deaths. GAMES.

Now if Sony could just get this level of tech in every next gen game from here on out that would be swell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

So what happens if you choose to save Josh in the saw trap instead of Ashley? Does she just die right there?

based on some of the other "choices" i'd bet that chris would be like "its not working" and the same outcome would happen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

I managed to keep everyone alive, and it struck me that if this had been an actual horror movie, it would have sucked because no deaths. GAMES.

Now if Sony could just get this level of tech in every next gen game from here on out that would be swell.

Well, the brilliance of the horror genre is that it doesn't feel invalid if everyone makes it out or everyone dies or anything in between. Plus the way the game is set up, often one character's path to survival puts others at risk, or themselves.

Sam has to lure the wendigo away from Mike and the others to get them all out of the lodge at the end, but this is when she definitely can die, to several very difficult "do not move at all" sequences. Matt trying to save Emily from the falling tower will definitely put him at risk unless he has one specific item.

Plus, you never know WHICH QTEs or choices actually kill anyone the first time through; it's not "illusion of choice" so much as "obfuscation of choice."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speedball posted:

Well, the brilliance of the horror genre is that it doesn't feel invalid if everyone makes it out or everyone dies or anything in between. Plus the way the game is set up, often one character's path to survival puts others at risk, or themselves.

Sam has to lure the wendigo away from Mike and the others to get them all out of the lodge at the end, but this is when she definitely can die, to several very difficult "do not move at all" sequences. Matt trying to save Emily from the falling tower will definitely put him at risk unless he has one specific item.

Plus, you never know WHICH QTEs or choices actually kill anyone the first time through; it's not "illusion of choice" so much as "obfuscation of choice."

Speaking of Matt and Emily on the fallen tower, it looks like I needed to have the flare gun to get him to survive. But when I gave him the flare gun he immediately fired it like a loving idiot. Was there something I missed to get him not to do that?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Speaking of Matt and Emily on the fallen tower, it looks like I needed to have the flare gun to get him to survive. But when I gave him the flare gun he immediately fired it like a loving idiot. Was there something I missed to get him not to do that?

I didn't do it, but according to other people: Matt needs to disagree with Emily earlier on about whether they should try to go to the tower first for help or not. If Matt thinks there's no help coming, he doesn't bother to fire the flare into the sky like an idiot and saves it for later.

In my case, he did that too. But when he was trapped on the falling tower with Emily, I figured the whole drat thing would collapse with his extra weight on it jiggling it anyway, so I had him leap to safety. Plus Emily never loving letting up the torrent of verbal abuse made it a lot easier to jump off, heh.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, with Matt, you either need to completely abandon his relationship with Emily by leaving her to die, or disagree with the fire tower plan, then let him hold onto the flare gun and try to save Emily. Either will save him.

Edit: You know, that's kind of funny. There's almost no way for Matt to survive while still remaining on good terms with Emily, even if he doesn't know about her cheating with Mike.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Edit: You know, that's kind of funny. There's almost no way for Matt to survive while still remaining on good terms with Emily, even if he doesn't know about her cheating with Mike.

I was just thinking that. In my particular case, I had Matt try to save Emily once by staying on the tower and he kept his head down, and even when he jumped off the tower and it went down, he still screamed "Emily!" after her. In my epilogue where everyone talks to the cops, Emily still seems to be under the impression Matt is her boyfriend, though she talks about him like a cosmetic boyfriend.

Either way: I guess you could say Emily is really toxic for Matt, ahahahha.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Replayed the last chapter and fixed my gently caress up. Saved everyone but Matt and Jess who were both long dead by that point. And Josh I guess, who's a wendigo now. RIP fantasy Peter Stormare, you were the worst psychiatrist ever.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I really just want some sort of quasi-sequel game of Dr. Peter Stormares therapy sessions, with snippets of everyday life inbetween that starts to get all ~spooky~. I think that'd be the perfect follow up to this game.

Peter Stormare: The Interactive Experience, coming soon to a system near you

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This entire game is worth it just to hear Rami Malek's terrible John Wayne impression. "Godspeed, pilgrim." :clint: Not to mention all the other goofy voices he uses once he goes into full crazy mode and starts daring Mike to shoot him. Does anyone know what happens if you do nothing during that part instead of disarming Mike or clonking Josh?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was really surprised the therapy sessions didn’t break the fourth wall more than it did, given how obvious it was what it was there for from a mechanic point of view.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Spergatory posted:

This entire game is worth it just to hear Rami Malek's terrible John Wayne impression. "Godspeed, pilgrim." :clint: Not to mention all the other goofy voices he uses once he goes into full crazy mode and starts daring Mike to shoot him.

can't tie someone up if they WIGGLE AROUND

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have one problem with Mike threatening to shoot Josh and/or Emily: that was the gun that was loaded with blanks, right? They have some real rounds for it around there somewhere?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
When you find the wall with photos of all the characters, one of them has his eyes scratched out. It's the only photo that has any alterations to it. I'm pretty sure it was Mike's picture, although it's hard to tell since the photos are pretty low-res. That might indicate that Josh either 1: has a particular vendetta against Mike for getting his sisters killed which would support the theory that he had something else in mind for Mike and Jess or 2: That he's in love with Jess which is why he has a complete mental break when he realizes he might have killed her

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

When you find the wall with photos of all the characters, one of them has his eyes scratched out. It's the only photo that has any alterations to it. I'm pretty sure it was Mike's picture, although it's hard to tell since the photos are pretty low-res. That might indicate that Josh either 1: has a particular vendetta against Mike for getting his sisters killed which would support the theory that he had something else in mind for Mike and Jess or 2: That he's in love with Jess which is why he has a complete mental break when he realizes he might have killed her

Hmm, need to test this. It might be the character you told the psychologist you hate the most. For me, I told him I didn't like Josh, and I can't actually remember which photo had its eyes scratched out now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Speedball posted:

Hmm, need to test this. It might be the character you told the psychologist you hate the most. .

this is correct

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

Hmm, need to test this. It might be the character you told the psychologist you hate the most. For me, I told him I didn't like Josh, and I can't actually remember which photo had its eyes scratched out now.

Real hurthling! posted:

this is correct

Ah, ok. That's less interesting then haha. In that case it was probably Chris.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have to give the game some credit, though: You telling the shrink what you hate the most affecting what goes on, even to a limited extent, makes a LOT more sense in this game than it did in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Since you are Josh talking to the shrink, your "game" isn't the video game but the prank he's playing on his friends, and he's trying to make his own psycho movie starring all his friends. Too bad real monsters showed up to spoil it, ha.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Speedball posted:

I have one problem with Mike threatening to shoot Josh and/or Emily: that was the gun that was loaded with blanks, right? They have some real rounds for it around there somewhere?

Yeah, I noticed there's a glitch or a model swap or something in that scene. He's supposed to be holding the revolver he stole from the Stranger, and he switches back to it when the scene moves upstairs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not sure about which gun he has when he threatens Josh but when he threatens emily it's definitely the revolver, not the pistol loaded with blanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ91MnVBCQI

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That actually reminded me of something I really appreciated about Chris: when he and Ashley are stuck in the trap, the first thing he does is shoot the trap. I was going to try that myself.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wanderer posted:

That actually reminded me of something I really appreciated about Chris: when he and Ashley are stuck in the trap, the first thing he does is shoot the trap. I was going to try that myself.

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good idea from him. I think out of all the protagonists, he and Sam tie for least-dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I was already planning to do that in that scene before he did if it was remotely an option.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I find this article kind of funny

http://www.destructoid.com/until-dawn-has-hundreds-of-endings-and-thousands-of-branches-279599.phtml

Obviously a lot can change in a year but what we got is certainly a far cry from "hundreds of endings"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh, I'll take what we got. It may not be Alpha Protocol but it's still pretty drat good for what it is.

Patch in a faster walking speed, though, Supermassive! C'mon!

Oh, one other thing regarding Chris's bit we just discussed: He shoots the gun at the trap and it doesn't work. The psycho laughs at him. I swear we saw sparks come off the machine, which means the Josh anticipated it and put squibs on the machine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i mean technically there are lots of endings based on the combo who is left alive.

^^^^
invert aiming too

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you interpret "endings" as who's still alive when the credits roll and what they say about each other and the events of the game, then there are a lot. If you interpret "endings" as what actually happens at the end, then if you're very generous with your definitions, there are two.

I do hope they keep the engine, add stuff like a run button, skippable cutscenes, and inverted aiming (although I can honestly say I didn't notice the lack thereof until I saw people on here complaining about it), and make an even more complicated narrative for a second game in the same vein.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Homework Explainer posted:

can't tie someone up if they WIGGLE AROUND

ooh, sleepover! can we order pizza? :downs:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

If you interpret "endings" as who's still alive when the credits roll and what they say about each other and the events of the game, then there are a lot. If you interpret "endings" as what actually happens at the end, then if you're very generous with your definitions, there are two.

I do hope they keep the engine, add stuff like a run button, skippable cutscenes, and inverted aiming (although I can honestly say I didn't notice the lack thereof until I saw people on here complaining about it), and make an even more complicated narrative for a second game in the same vein.

I really think they could do well with episodic releases. The $60 pricetag honestly hurts it but putting out even a $20 season pass would probably get a better response.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I really think they could do well with episodic releases. The $60 pricetag honestly hurts it but putting out even a $20 season pass would probably get a better response.

I'd rather they tone down the star power and/or the graphic fidelity and make it a $20-30 download for six to eight hours.

Failing that, I'd cough up the sixty bucks if it was the Until Dawn Trilogy in one disc or something, where it was three games that were all about the same length, and you had an entire packaging/marketing gimmick based around it being one of those five-dollar compilation DVDs at Best Buy.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I didn't catch all of the 1952 collectables. Did anyone find all of the 1952 collectables? I kind of wish I did before I returned the game to RedBox because finding new clues open up updates for older clues.

(1952 Spoilers)

Why were the the sanitarium doctors keeping quiet about the miners transformation? I tried looking at "Lets Play" videos on the collectables I missed but the players never go into the collectables menu after finding the clue. I missed the time punch machine clue that shows 37 workers punched out. I also missed clue 15, which is a picture of the miners you find in the cave, and not the sanitarium. Does anyone have the in game description text on those two and do they update any other 1952 clues with insights?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

I didn't catch all of the 1952 collectables. Did anyone find all of the 1952 collectables? I kind of wish I did before I returned the game to RedBox because finding new clues open up updates for older clues.

(1952 Spoilers)

Why were the the sanitarium doctors keeping quiet about the miners transformation? I tried looking at "Lets Play" videos on the collectables I missed but the players never go into the collectables menu after finding the clue. I missed the time punch machine clue that shows 37 workers punched out. I also missed clue 15, which is a picture of the miners you find in the cave, and not the sanitarium. Does anyone have the in game description text on those two and do they update any other 1952 clues with insights?

The general idea is that the guys who owned the mine knew it was unstable, but were hushing it up to keep the mine active. 37 workers went to work the day of the collapse, and 15 made it out; the official story given to the newspapers is that there were provisions down there, but the survivors only lived by eating the corpses of the miners who'd died. They were moved to the nearby sanitarium for treatment, but they changed into wendigos and depopulated the place over the course of what must have been several days. Whoever showed up afterwards declared both the mine and the sanitarium to be off-limits and condemned, and the wendigos moved underground. The real story of the whole mess was hushed up when the sanitarium's employees beat up a reporter and broke his camera, not only because they weren't sure what was going on with the survivors and their transformation, but because they didn't want anyone else to know that the miners had only survived due to cannibalism. It's all an old-school DuPont-style hush-up.

IIRC, the group picture of the miners is found by Emily and doesn't change afterward.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So there's at least about 15 wendigos from that mine incident, plus Hannah, plus whatever others have lived in the region since before then (they can live a really long time). The flamethrower guy says in his journal he's killed about six and tried to trap a few others (these are probably the ones in cages in the sanatorium) so that still leaves at least six or seven wendigos hounding our heroes. I think you can kill or see killed about that many by the end of the game and, I'm assuming the big Wendigo that tears up the other ones is Hannah (it looks like the one that Josh saw the tattoo on anyway).

Blowing up the lodge may have killed the last of the active wendigos in the region, if we're lucky, but we don't have an exact headcount and of course killing them only releases their spirit to infect someone else some other day.

Oooh, one thing regarding the Mystery Man: If the wanted poster, the answering machine about a convict being loose and newspaper about an arson guy were all fakes, then I guess the Mystery Man's name is NOT Victor as the wanted poster indicates. Though the poster does mention "arson" and he is a flamethrower guy...

Other thing I noticed on a fresh replay: When Chris looks in the security camera monitor for the cable car it is very briefly the image of Sam's bathtub. Something you only notice on repeat viewings.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This just got a patch that is described as "various bug fixes". Anyone have more info?

Trying to think about the best way I want to playthrough next. I'm thinking of doing all survivors/all collectibles, that should be doable right?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Question. Can I start a new game without erasing my first game on a separate profile?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Question. Can I start a new game without erasing my first game on a separate profile?

I'm not 100% because I haven't tried it but almost certainly, yes. Just imagine 2 people living together playing the game on separate profiles. Would be insane if you couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Spergatory posted:

This entire game is worth it just to hear Rami Malek's terrible John Wayne impression. "Godspeed, pilgrim." :clint:

That was easily one of my favourite moments and it reminds me to bring up my biggest complaint with this game.

There were no scenes of our protagonists drinking / partying / acting like "teenagers". Instead the game starts after a night of partying instead of before, which IMO would've been the perfect time to teach the player the basics of the game while we get to know our cast and what their relationships were like before the horror starts.

• Locked thread