Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-33288367

quote:

Reddit is arguably the mainstream social network most devoted to freedom of speech. It has continued to uphold that idea even in the face of criticism - for instance a controversy over a user who posted extreme content including a thread devoted to pictures of underage girls. The site didn't ban the user Violentacrez, but he did lose his job after his real identity was exposed by the website Gawker.
But the site's anti-censorship stance (or rather, its mostly anti-censorship stance - and more about that later) came under fire this week after reports surfaced of posts expressing support for the man charged with murdering nine worshipers in a black church in Charleston.
The posts were made under a thread or "subreddit" called Coontown - which, as the offensive name suggests, is a corner of Reddit made up mostly of virulently racist and white supremacist posts. One commenter called the shooter "one of us". In another popular post, a moderator said "we don't advocate violence here", but went on say the life of a black person "has no more value than the life of a flea or a tick" (most of the rest of the post, which contains at least 15 racial slurs, is unpublishable on this website).
Despite the extreme and often shocking nature of the comments, they're perfectly legal under American law - and legally Reddit is by and large an American company - according to Eugene Volokh, a law professor and the man behind a Washington Post blog on legal issues, the Volokh Conspiracy.
"American law protects people's ability to express all sorts of views, including views in support of crime or violence, without fear of government restriction," Volokh says. "But a private institution like Reddit is also free to say we don't want our facilities to be used as a means of disseminating this information."
Reddit did just that earlier this month when it banned five subreddits, including racist and anti-gay threads and a mocking forum called "Fat People Hate". In a statement, the company said it was "banning behaviour, not ideas" and that the offending threads were specifically targeting and harassing individuals.
"We want as little involvement as possible in managing these [online] interactions but will be involved when needed to protect privacy and free expression, and to prevent harassment," the statement read. "While we do not always agree with the content and views expressed on the site, we do protect the right of people to express their views."
null
Reddit has found itself at the centre of a debate about hate speech and what should be censored on social media
But the ban opened the site up for criticism. Some users hurled "Nazi" and other insults at Reddit CEO Ellen Pao, while others questioned why other offensive threads weren't also taken down and said the company hadn't gone far enough.
Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Centre, a non-profit organisation based in Alabama which tracks US hate speech, says the site has attracted people who previously hid out on other sites dedicated to extremist ideology.
"More and more people in the white supremacist world are moving out of organised groups and into more public spaces. Reddit really has become a home for some incredible websites," he says, citing not only a string of racist subreddits but a thread that actively encourages the rape of women.
The SPLC recently issued a report on Reddit's racist content: "The world of online hate, long dominated by website forums like Stormfront and its smaller neo-Nazi rival Vanguard News Network, has found a new - and wildly popular - home on the Internet."
"There's a lot of hypocrisy in Reddit banning a particular subreddit that mocks people for being fat while they allow other extreme content to trundle along just fine," Potok says. While he acknowledged that Reddit is within its rights to allow racist comments, he suggested that the site and other social networks could act more like traditional publishers who exercise editorial control over what does or doesn't go into their publications.
But Jillian Yorke of the Electronic Frontier Foundation questioned whether private companies are best placed to make decisions about censorship. She referred to controversies over breastfeeding pictures on social media and noted that the biggest social networks ban nudity, which might not be offensive to all or even most users.
"Legally these companies have the right to ban whatever they want, but when it comes down to it the rules are skewed and the enforcement of them is as well," she says. Yorke says that the biggest social networks should become more pro-active in thinking of ways to implement community policing - for instance Twitter's recent announcement about shared "block" lists which will make it easier for users to block multiple accounts.
Reddit turned down requests for an interview about this story, but in a statement told BBC Trending that it continues to be "committed to promoting free expression."
"There are some subreddits with very little viewership that get highlighted repeatedly for their content, but those are a tiny fraction of the content on the site," the company said.

Will this make Reddit less of a poo poo pile?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
"committed to promoting free expression."

aka echo chambers for all

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

here at something awful we have freedom. we have the freedom to express how fat we are, and to eat a lot of food and be really fat. and then to go on the forums and talk about how much we hate fat people.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
entirely too much text op,

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

entirely too much text op,

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
calls our reddit what

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

pr0k posted:

calls our reddit what

faggots

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

reddit should ban /r's that are obviously racist hate portals

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

here at something awful we have freedom. we have the freedom to express how fat we are, and to eat a lot of food and be really fat. and then to go on the forums and talk about how much we hate fat people.

yeah, but we can't say 'The N-word' without fear of probation. I can make you think the word but I can't say it. buncha fuckin 'N-word's

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

amityville anus posted:

yeah, but we can't say 'The N-word' without fear of probation. I can make you think the word but I can't say it

why are you a mind raper

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Wow, this BBC thing is so big they even made a sub-reddit just to worship it: http://www.reddit.com/r/bbcwhorship/

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
for all all all all

edit: reddit turned down requests for an interview? on BBC? OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME WASTED?

ugh.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
if the mods were more niggardly dispensing probations for bad words this forum wouldn't be dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
wish I could downvote this thread

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

amityville anus posted:

if the mods were more niggardly dispensing probations for bad words this forum wouldn't be dead

Eh, they don't even ban for downloading "artistic non-sexualized" nudes of children anymore. I'm sure this new policy will attract a lot of new and interesting users. The communism threads will get lots of activity.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

wish I could downvote this thread

good news, poindexter

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

amityville anus posted:

yeah, but we can't say 'The N-word' without fear of probation. I can make you think the word but I can't say it. buncha fuckin 'N-word's

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalala laaa i'm not listening

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
if SA started banning pedos, who'd be left to post in the Communism thread?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
There's a communism thread?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalala laaa i'm not listening

Good thing your ears have no bearing on reading what I posted.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

amityville anus posted:

Good thing your ears have no bearing on reading what I posted.

I read it Francis

If you want a ban or something you can have one

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
most people have a child like mental capacity and an insular world view that needs constant reinforcement. reddit provides that to everyone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lufiron posted:

most people have a child like mental capacity and an insular world view that needs constant reinforcement. reddit provides that to everyone.

this fits my insular worldview and child-like mental capacity, so I'm glad you said it

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

gnarlyhotep posted:

"committed to promoting free expression."

aka echo chambers for all

especially enthusiasts of pictures of underage girls

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

amityville anus posted:

Please stop triggering me, thank you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
unlike reddit, GBS is truly the marketplace of ideas

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

Horniest Manticore posted:

especially enthusiasts of pictures of underage girls

Leave Zeitgueist out of this ok.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bondage posted:

He's into underage girls? I thought he was into treating black women like slaves?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

He's into underage girls? I thought he was into treating black women like slaves?

I hope he's never gone into underage girls. However its always a possibility.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Bondage posted:

I thought that was Fire, Zeitgeist is the one who writes furry self-insert fan-fiction about murdering republicans alongside his forums buddies.

Sedan Chair forums roleplays as a black man. My Internet GF roleplays as Rahm Emanuel. Cillapinnus roleplays as Mussolini. This is the extent of my D&D lore.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
zeitgeist also beats his black girlfriend and believes that pepper spray can travel through the blood and induce miscarriages

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gently caress the ROW posted:

believes that pepper spray can travel through the blood and induce miscarriages

maybe if you spray it in the right place idk I'm no gynecologist

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

gnarlyhotep posted:

maybe if you spray it in the right place idk I'm no gynecologist

maybe Zeitgeist was speaking from experience

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Jose Oquendo posted:

He only looks at them for artistic purposes guys. They are NON-SEXUALIZED photos of naked children. This is not illegal. So what if he has uploaded several gigs of these photos online. It's not really a big deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

He only looks at them for artistic purposes guys. They are NON-SEXUALIZED photos of naked children. This is not illegal. So what if he has uploaded several gigs of these photos online. It's not really a big deal.

That's a relief. Thanks for clarifying that.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Another pedo outted on the somethingawful forums this is just a shock and awe times we live in

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

I read it Francis

If you want a ban or something you can have one

not swearing isn't probatable yet

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

amityville anus posted:

not swearing isn't probatable yet

just keep doing what you do, it'll happen

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I'm a big supporter of Reddit for it's capacity to help me find various pictures of breasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

#occupy

• Locked thread