Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Today I walked out to take a dip in my pool and found this poor fellow had taken his final bird bath. What kind of bird is this? It looks like a parrot of some type. I live near Phoenix and don't think it's native.

Edit: We just had a big dust storm recently and now part of me thinks he got caught in it and carried away. Poor guy.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Aw :(

Looks like a double-yellow or blue-fronted Amazon maybe? I'm not sure how much blue they have on their back.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

Apparently we have a wild colony of Peach Faced Lovebirds around here. I don't know that this is one of them since its face doesn't look peach but maybe it's a color mutation?

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2009-february/peach-faced-lovebirds.aspx

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I doubt it's a lovebird, unless it can mostly fit in your hand. Got a good size comparison on it? It definitely looks like it could be an amazon of sorts. I don't think Double-Yellows have blue on their back but if it's a hybrid it could easily pop up. You're definitely in the range for 'invasive parrot' species so it might be a fluke. Is there a band around the leg? If it's not an invasive bird it could be someone's that was looking for water. Sad, but they would want to know.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

It was small, smaller than a pigeon by far. It may have been a juvenile even. Also I did not see a band on the leg which makes it even stranger :iiam:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Poor little guy :( It looks like some sort of Amazon to me, too, but they're much bigger than pigeons. rip mystery birb.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

That's a male Pacific Parrotlet. Cute little birds, and they can scream just as loud as their larger cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Wow, good ID, I didn't even think about parrotlets. Yeah, that's definitely someone's pet then. Poor little guy.

• Locked thread