Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Durnem Hapford (alias of Clive Wearling)

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Clive listens to the ongoing conversations with interest. Jergo had clearly made an impression on the pit bandit, who seemed more than eager to spill his guts after the ordeal he’d been put through.

Barging into that mess of a bandit lair sounds like a suicide mission. To Clive, Kressel sounds like a problem, and problems are best dealt with in one of two ways: handle the problem on your terms and at a time and place of your choosing, or get somebody else to handle the problem for you.

Clive begins running through the resources at his disposal, weighing the costs and benefits of various approaches. What could lure Kressel out of that hidey-hole? Well, we have Domingo, who seems important to her somehow, especially if she thinks he has turned on her. A handwriting sample would be easy enough to procure if we need to forge a message of some kind. We have Happs’ head and hands if there were anybody around worth framing (the kobalds maybe? Or the man at the toll bridge?), or want to rile her up a bit. We have horses who can likely navigate the pit traps, and a possible confederate who could be invaluable but extremely risky to employ. And finally, we have three bandit masks that look to be in good shape. Plenty of possibilities there.

Alternatively, a kobald attack seems like just the thing to allow us to slip in to the camp, if it would be possible to arrange. We have their payments that we could return in part (say, the gems?), we have the head of their bully, and we have a firsthand account of a massive buried treasure to tempt them with. Should be a simple enough transaction after we impress upon them that we are more advantageous as allies than as enemies…

Domingo, however, still remains just as much of an enigma to Clive. He can’t shake the feeling that Domingo’s bosses were ultimately of much greater concern than Kressel and her merry band. With luck (and perhaps a little “encouragement” from the banker and Daimon), Domingo might let something slip about where exactly these Daggerfall coins came from, whose hands they passed through last, and what they were intended for. Always. Follow. The money.

While musing possible approaches, taking care to estimate how exciting each of them would be, Clive meanders over to the apple basket to grab one for himself. Between sporadic bites, Clive idly pats the neck of the apple fiend going goddamned medieval on the bunch. Eventually, he interrupts their ongoing conversation in Hippodradic. “Fabulous riding horses indeed. If you don’t mind, I think I’m going to call you ‘Gala’. I like your style. Say, if we happened to be traveling South, you think you would be able to keep us out of trouble? We’ve heard there might be a few pit traps that way, and I would prefer to not fall into any.” Clive turns to the other horses. “Oh, and by the way, I would recommend being on your best behavior around the orc. He knows his horses,” Clive nods at Kahli “and will take excellent care of all of you that remain helpful and friendly. He’ll also be the one to tell us who the least helpful horse has been if we happen to run short on food while out on the trial. Impress him.” Clive takes a large, crunching bite out of his apple for emphasis before turning back to join his new friends in discussing their next moves. He decides he'll see what the others think first. They certainly didn't disappoint in providing some excitement this morning.

quote:

-Clive has a horse now. (‘Gala’)
-Ask if the horses remember how to navigate the pit traps, if needed. Motivate them to play nice with Gorom.

Approach to Kressel: draw her out and pounce (see above), or try to persuade Kobalds to join in an attack (i.e. be cannon fodder while we go in another way).
Approach to Domingo: Follow the money. Clive intends to jump in once the talking starts to grab a writing sample.

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (0/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (0/2).
status effects: none
(currently under the alias of Durnem the surveyor)

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Jorvan was content to let the others do the interrogation. The truth was that he was much more used to people coming to him and confessing willingly. But there were occasional points were he felt the need to interject.

"When were you supposed to report back to Kessle with the collection money? And how long will it be before she starts to look for your group?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
The horses go dead silent when it becomes apparent that Clive can both understand them and speak their tongue. There is a horsey gasp and then a long, pregnant pause, until it is finally broken by the apple-loving horse.
"That is amazing. You don't even look like a horse! Was your father a horse? Are you a were-horse?"
The horses look hopefully at Clive when he suggests they will be treated well, and a bit more glibly when he suggests they might be eaten. The apple-loving horse breaks that silence once more.
"Calm down, guys, it'll be fine. Horsetag YOLO, am I right?" He shakes his head, and ruffles his mane in the process, offering, "You don't want to go south though, that's the swamps. We ride through the grasslands, and then the forest, it's so much safer. There aren't any seven-headed snakes in the forest. Also, there are trees with ...various... fruits."
"He means apples. He's an addict and needs help."
"Yo shut up you're just jealous of how luscious they make my coat, look at your mangy rear end locks, mare please."
"..."
"Oh now you've done it."
"I am going to kick you so hard."
"Come at me bro."

This continues on for a while. Meanwhile, Jorvan joins the conversation with Brute Grayson.
"This was our last stop on the collection route, and we were supposed to start making our way back an hour or so after dawn. The camp is kind of a long ride from here, three days journey if the weather holds up, four or five if it rains though. The forest isn't the best place to travel in a rainstorm, though obviously the swamps would be unbelievably worse." He shrugs, "We've never failed to check in before, so I don't really know how Kressle will react. Things should be pretty quiet for the next three days, maybe four if she decides to give us some time, thinking we got held up with something. One of the horses could have broken a leg, or maybe we got attacked by a wolf or something, you know, the usual stuff. After four days she'll almost certainly send someone to investigate, though, there's no way she'd just ignore a missing tax payment."

Waador fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 10, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen
HP: 7/7 AC: 16 Hero Points: 1/5 HD: 1d6

"Well Mr. Grayson, that's the information I needed from you, my associates may have questions for you but I'm finished" Jergo becomes quiet and pulls one of the loose sheaves of paper from his cartography supplies and begins penning a letter to his cousin back at the bank, writing out a quick recommendation, he grabs one of his candles and melts a quick seal onto the page after folding it, pressing his signet ring into the wax gently he begins to push down whilst twisting his hand to the right, When his hand comes up there are several lines carved into the wax from small protrusions on the front of his ring that have worked an intricate pattern around the family symbol.

Handing the letter over to Brute Jergo nods "When we're finished here I trust you will make your way to Restov where you can seek out Abagnail Macklen my cousin at the Gráðugur Peningar Stafli bank, she will advance you a small sum to get you settled into the city and into a line of work" Jergo snatches Brute's hand and holds in on the table repeating his spell and refreshing the minor arcane mark, he attempts to sound intimidating but it's hard when you're tiny and you do geniuinely hope someone will turn their life around "Don't dissapoint me Mr. Grayson, it really wouldn't end well for you."

Stepping down off the picnic table bench Jergo makes his way back over to the loot pile and removes his abacus from his bag again, setting it to where he'd ended his prior count, a few quick clacks and Jergo has the adjusted amount avalaible to him. Picking through the coins and gems Jergo make a small pile off to the side and starts talking aloud "The expected taxation rate on an official chartered party on behalf of Brevoy is 16%" Jergo tosses the silver skull amulet into the little pile "Monetary value of coins, gems, and the worth of the silver comes out to 483 gold pieces, the amount owed to Brevoy would be..." another few clacks "77 gold, 2 silver, and 8 copper" Pursing his lips Jergo moves the skull amulet back to one side and begins moving all of the copper coins together "23" he pops one of the bloodstones down next to the pile "73" a small stack of silver joins the pile "77 gold and 3 silver to go to the government, leaving us with essentially 405 gold and 7 silver to do with as we please"

Wracking his brain for a way to reduce the amount owed, Jergo unfortunately comes up flat, his best idea from the top of his head being to write the gems off as some kind of arcane ingredient, but the idea is quite frankly a very thin premise and wouldn't hold much water in the first place.

Familiar: Britzke the Fiendish Bat: 60' blindsight.
Spellbook (Save DC:13 +5 attack)
Rituals: Alarm(11min), Comprehend Language(10min), Detect Magic(10min), Find Familiar(1h10min 10gp)
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Chill Touch, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth
Prepared Spells
Lv. 1 [1/2]: Mage Armor, Shield, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages
Class: Arcane Recovery (1 spell level p/long rest)
Effects: Mage Armor(4 hours)(13 ac becomes 16)

quote:

So I was asked to make a history roll 6 as a banker, with a bit of guidance, bardic inspiration, and a heropoint we add on 14 I succeeded with a final result of 20 :v: and learned that as we owe Brevoy 16% of our adventuring findings in taxes. I rolled a flat int check to see if Jergo could think of any loopholes to bypass or reduce the amount we'd have to pay and got an 11 Legalese so probably not much in the way of savings there.

A further 11 intimidation on Brute with a refresh of the prestidigitation symbol if needed to press my point.
Insight 8 on his response :downs: to see if he's lying, Jergo probably believes whatever he says haha.

Jergo is leaning on his his Banker background feature of guild membership to essentially sponsor Brute for work assistance, his little twist of the ring to the right is a signal to his cousin to keep an eye on Brute, a twist to the left would have signaled that the person carrying the note of credit or whatever the document was, is a thief and has murdered or pressed Jergo for the documentation.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Autumn Somerset
AC: 13 | HP: 9/9
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 27/27
Hero Points: 4/5

"Alright, who's up for interrogating our other prisoner?"

She regards the elf for a split second, then takes a longer look at the humans before glancing towards the half-orc.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 10, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
"Mrglglrglglglglglglgl..."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HP: 9/9 AC: 13 Hero Points: 5/5 HD: 1d8+1

http://i.imgur.com/wSP0KCx.png

To Jergo's prisoner Daimon asks, "How many of you are there and how many should be in the camp?"

P.d0t posted:

"Alright, who's up for interrogating our other prisoner?"

She regards the elf for a split second, then takes a longer look at the humans before glancing towards the half-orc.

"He's awake, is he?" Daimon stands up and streches. To Gorom and Autumn he says, "Feel free to come along and loom ominously if you want."

Queries and stuff posted:

I've done a roll without advantage, so need to know if a) Gorom and/or Autumn come along to loom ominously and if so, do they grant advantage so I can reroll.

I've done a roll without advantage, and DREAD OROKOS has not favoured me. I need to know what my final result is likely to be before I finish the post.

Also, does sittign around watching other people do things count as having taken a short rest?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 10, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
As per the PHB, under Ability Checks->Working Together:
"The character who's leading the effort--or the one with the highest ability modifier--can make the ability check with advantage [...] A character can only provide help if the task is one that he or she could attempt alone. [...] Moreover, a character can help only when two or more individuals working together would actually be productive."

So on the 1st count and 2nd parts, absolutely someone can give you advantage. On the 3rd, the DM might argue that Autumn wouldn't be productive in helping, and that Gorom would be (by virtue of having proficiency as a racial trait.)

Sitting around watching other people do things totally counts as having taken a short rest. Doing nothing strenuous for an hour is a short rest, unless the DM says otherwise, and at least that much time has passed.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Clive barely manages to suppress a look of utter horror when the banker suggests paying taxes on the book price of everything they just found before giving it to Oleg anyways free of charge. Though Clive is completely certain that Jergo knows significantly more about Brevoyian tax law than he does, that doesn’t stop him from jumping in with some “helpful suggestions” (i.e. total bullshit) about lightening their tax load.

“Oh, you know what Jergo? I now recall that this exact issue came up on a previous expedition I was on. We had been sent to investigate some mineral deposits – there had been reports of emeralds – but it turned out that some no-good squatters had beat us too it!” Clive was hopeful that Jergo wouldn’t approve, and was ready to act the Gallant to their Goofus. “They had mined a few fistfuls of precious gems by that point, but all succumbed to a vicious attack by a rogue ettin! Serves them right, eh? So our group fulfills our contract in finding a half-dozen good spots for mines (two already started by the squatters), but we also have this unexpected bag of emeralds, worth tens if not hundreds of thousands of gold. Naturally, my first question was how we were meant to diligently pay our taxes on such a find.” HAH! “That’s when our gemcrafter and precious metals expert, a wise old gnome,” Clive hopes that Jergo wouldn’t notice the pandering “clarified the issue for me. He explained that the swordlord accountants would be furious if we immediately started cutting up these beautiful emeralds and shipped various broken shards their way. Instead, taxes were only to be paid upon the revenue generated from their sale, or if kept, the market price of the stones. We ended up carrying the stones back and delivering them to our company, who sold them off and eventually came back to us with after-tax bonuses for our honesty and diligence. I would bet we could enter a similar arrangement with Oleg.” That’s right, we’re just being honest and diligent here.

Clive is on a roll, but decides he needs a bit more jargon to spruce things up. “So I propose that whenever we find potentially valuable goods out in our mapquest, we deliver whatever we don’t need to Oleg, who can accrue real market value through his trading post and return back to us a portion of the after-tax dividends, or else some similarly valued supplies (like, say, some food and water or a shield for our barbarian friend) to help keep us moving efficiently through the region for the benefit of all.” Clive isn’t sure about the capital gains tax in the area, so he assumes it must be zero. “Any cash we find should be temporarily held with taxes deferred for a safe amount time – could you just imagine if we found out that these poor Kobalds that were shaken down recently by Happs and his men weren’t actually pirates at all, and instead had their honestly-earned coin stolen from them by these bandits?” No. Really. Could you even imagine that such a thing would be inside the realm of possibility? “Why, it would be a true injustice if in the process of returning their rightful property to them, we shaved off 16% when we picked it up from Happs and another 16% when we return their stolen cash to them! Clearly the lawful thing to do would be to hold onto the cash until we can investigate further, returning the money if they are completely free of wrongdoing and keeping the money with 16% tax if they are in fact pirates.” Or in my case, exchanging the cash with Oleg in return for debt obligations to which I owe nothing.

“Finally, I’m sure we’ll come across some items in our travels that we’d like to keep. Such as this handy letter opener I found.” Clive hoists Happs’ wicked-looking dagger. “Clearly we need to declare all such items rigorously and completely, making sure to prorate the straight-line depreciation over the duration of our expected mission in the Stolen Land as an entirely above-board asset investment to the benefit of everyone.” i.e. pay no taxes because we intend to use this poo poo until it breaks or gets lost somewhere.

“At least, this is what I’ve learned from that wise old gnome. Who am I to disagree?” Clive smiles broadly at Jergo and the rest of the group.

quote:

Summary of the above fluff for an approach to loot that lets us handwave away vendor trash while simplifying this whole tax thing, in a way that should let us avoid the wrath of the swerdlerds (but who knows because literally all of it is made up). Incorporates suggestions from everybody on IRC and chat thread. If this sounds good to everybody we should be able to move through loot stuff pretty quickly in the future without getting deep in the weeds.

1) Everybody takes what they want, then we give the rest to Oleg. Oleg kicks back some free stuff and/or tax-free cash every now and then (to be placed in the party share unless we decide otherwise). We don’t need to track vendor trash values. Don’t pay taxes on items you decided to keep unless you sell it directly (in which case, pay taxes on the revenue).
2) Split cash we find into 7 equal shares (one for each plus one party share). Shave 16% off the top for taxes unless you opt out (I provided a justification for choosing to opt-out temporarily and opt back in later above). Will be kept all in one physical place unless you choose to carry it yourself.

-Clive might invent CDOs as part of an elaborate tax evasion scheme for his share.

Dawnfiend has expressed a desire not to go bananas with Brevoy tax law, and I don’t find the idea terribly exciting either, so I hopefully the above system of “tax cash, keep stuff, handwave vendor trash with Oleg” works for everybody and we can keep things simple.

edit: ADP clarified for me that he didn't mean for the value of the items to factor in to taxes either (see other thread). I've learned today that gems = cash in D&D verse. He was essentially suggesting this same plan. We should be good from here on out unless anybody has objections.

Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (0/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (0/2).
status effects: none

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 10, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 13/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (0/1)

Gorom watch Durnem shuffle off to converse with the horses, unsure if that guy was a druid or something. The willing bandit, inadequately named Brute, was being quite helpful. His pliable nature would make him into a decent thrall, and it seemed thats what the small one, Jergo had in mind. "You're going to give him gold and send him to the city? It would be wiser to keep an extra set of hands out here. He is experienced with the lay of the land, and he has been cowed. He would make a fine work-hand for Oleg." It was obvious that the half-orc had different ideals when it came to prisoners, his background of being the son of a barbarian lord shining through when it came to taking slaves.

Angrymog posted:

"He's awake, is he?" Daimon stands up and streches. To Gorom and Autumn he says, "Feel free to come along and loom ominously if you want."

Looking to Daimon, the half-orc nodded, remembering there was a man outside the wall they'd captured. "Yes, you and I will break the other one, as the money-gnome has already chosen this ones fate."

pre:
Helping Daimon, yes I am proficient in intimidation.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Teonis posted:

Gorom Grofhorm

Gorom watch Durnem shuffle off to converse with the horses, unsure if that guy was a druid or something. The willing bandit, inadequately named Brute, was being quite helpful. His pliable nature would make him into a decent thrall, and it seemed thats what the small one, Jergo had in mind. "You're going to give him gold and send him to the city? It would be wiser to keep an extra set of hands out here. He is experienced with the lay of the land, and he has been cowed. He would make a fine work-hand for Oleg." It was obvious that the half-orc had different ideals when it came to prisoners, his background of being the son of a barbarian lord shining through when it came to taking slaves.

Looking to Daimon, the half-orc nodded, remembering there was a man outside the wall they'd captured. "Yes, you and I will break the other one, as the money-gnome has already chosen this ones fate."

pre:
Helping Daimon, yes I am proficient in intimidation.

Daimon walks into the shed and nudges Domingo with the toe of his boot. "Awake? Good. I've got questions for you, and if you're helpful, you may get out of this alive." As when Daimon was putting the frighterners on Oleg, a second voice tinged with gibbering whispers and ageless hate echoes in Domingo's mind. "I͜f y̢o͠u̵ ̢d͜o no̸t͘ c͘òoper̸ąt̵e,̶ I wil͡l şhr͢e̵d ̕y̸our̶ m͘ind̴ ͞a̸nd s̴o͜ųl͏ a͢n҉d ̧thèn f͞ee͢d̀ t͡he t͡at̨t̵ered҉ ́r҉e҉mna̵nts ͝t͠o ̛be҉ings ͠th̴a̕t͠ w̶er̨e͝ old w̢he̵n͠ the͘ a̧b̨yşs ͡w̨as̡ f̸ormed͘. ̡B̀ef̴ore͟ th͟at ̨I̕'l̵l͜ gi̡v̨e yǫu̕ t̢o͘ t́h̵ę ̷or͞c.͏ ̛ ͢H͟e do͡es̶n̸'͘t̢ ͏lik͢e̷ ͟bandit̸s̴; ri̧pped ̛H͠ąp͡p̶s̸ a̕n͝d̶ a c̢o̴up̵le ͘o̡f̧ t҉he͡ ͟o̶t̸he͡rs͝ ͝ap̨ar͝t҉.̧."

"We know you're some sort of overseer or inspector, seeing how Kressle and friends were running things, so my first question is who do you work for?"

dice and things posted:

This morning's roll, LOL Intimidating Domigo: 1d20+5 6
This afternoon's roll after confirmation of having advantage: Intimidating Domigo (take 2 - advantage roll): 1d20+5 25
DREAD OROKOS truly is a fickle diety.

- Other things I want to find out
-- Does his master run other bandit bands, what are they trying to do, and where are they based.
-- What can he tell us about the stag amulet?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen
HP: 7/7 AC: 16 Hero Points: 0/5 HD: 1d6

Allowing Durnem to get his large spiel out of his system, Jergo sits rather bemused by Durnem's tale whilst mentally poking holes in it, there are attempts to pander to Jergo's sensibilities which fly well over Jergo's already considerably low head as Durnem wraps up Jergo waves his hand from side to side "My calculations only include those things that could be spent directly, the Swordlords in general are not interested in going up to a knight and taking his Pauldrons, gauntlets and two and a quarter of his horse's legs." Jergo walks up and gives Durnem a a friendly pat on the leg "I'm well trained in these matters! If I see a legal loophole we can take with regards to our coin I will jump through it. It's like you weren't listening to my very interesting lectures on the way here! I distinctly remember giving a week long tutorial into the fascinating intricacies of tax law!"

At Gorom's comments Jergo raises a finger and clarifies "I'm giving him a piece of paper that, when it is delivered to the appropriate person, will result in my new friend here having his ability to be a quality member of society judged and then he will be loaned some gold which he will be expected to pay back, lest he incur some dire consequences. The Macklen family always has need of fresh hands and I'm sure Mr. Grayson will find himself put to good and honest work by my cousin." Jergo fails to mention the exorbitant inflation on the loan his cousin is likely to assign to someone Jergo has marked as a person to keep an eye on via his signet ring which will likely lead to the man working for the Macklens, while comfortably, for a good portion of his natural life.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...

Angrymog posted:

To Jergo's prisoner Daimon asks, "How many of you are there and how many should be in the camp?"
The man seems a bit concerned that yet another line of questions might be coming, but visibly relaxes when he hears Domingo waking up, since it likely means the attention will focus away from him for at least a little while. He responds to Daimon, "Including myself, Happs, and the rest of the tax collection group, there were fifteen of us living in the camp. There are a few roaming groups that we occasionally host when they need a safe place to sleep or to patch up their injuries, but they aren't part of our crew, and never seem to stay at the camp for very long. Nobody like that was staying with us when we left, though that can change without notice. Those folks don't take orders from Kressle though, they're just on friendly terms with us."

Meanwhile, Oleg chimes in on the situation with regard to your spoils of war.
"I have plenty of storage space, my friends! There is no need to make the trip back to Brevoy to have a yard sale, your liberated goods will be just as popular in the Greenbelt, yet? Supplies are useful for hunters and trappers, and their options are not so good! I will have to trade them for their furs, which is not exactly gold, I suppose, but it is much easier to transport furs to Brevoy every few months instead of loading up a wagon with miscellany! And when we sell the furs, we will all be rich, and swimming in firm Brevoyan titties!" He laughs, "If we can strike a deal, perhaps you can all stay at Oleg's free of charge, yes?"
pre:
Oleg isn't currently equipped to buy your goods for coin, but he can trade it to local hunters and trappers.
He will receive furs in exchange, more often than not, which are also not very useful to you.
He plans to go to Restov four times a year to sell his furs for gold and other supplies, though.
If you're willing to let him broker your goods for you, you'll eventually get 50% of market price for everything sold.
He is also willing to waive the living expense cost for staying at his place in exchange for this deal.

You become exposed to the risk of Oleg's place burning to the ground, though, so this is partly a shrewd business
maneuver on his part to encourage you to basically be his security team and ensure his long-term safety.
With Domingo rousing, Daimon and Gorom make their way into the storage shed and commence the interrogation.
pre:
Wisdom save (Domingo) - 20 (natural twenty)
Loyalty (Domingo) - 60%
To his credit, despite the imposing figure of the half-orc and the telepathic capabilities of his interrogator, the captive manages to retain his composure. "Yeah, I'm awake, thanks." He looks around the room, clearly trying to get a sense of his surroundings, and also assessing his bindings. "Getting out of this alive sounds good." He listens to Daimon's questions intently, and you get the sense he is focusing on answering precisely what he is asked, probably in an effort to get through this alive. "I work for a herbalist, who runs his business in Daggermark. Happs was showing me how secure the area was, and how 'under control' they had the region, because my boss wanted to set up a business relationship with Kressle and her crew. There's a plant native to this area that's hard to procure in Daggermark, and my boss wanted to corner the supply on it by funding Kressle to ensure this region stayed under control. In the longer-term, we were going to work out a deal so that my boss is the only one who gets regular shipment of the product out of the region."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Waador posted:

"I work for a herbalist, who runs his business in Daggermark. Happs was showing me how secure the area was, and how 'under control' they had the region, because my boss wanted to set up a business relationship with Kressle and her crew. There's a plant native to this area that's hard to procure in Daggermark, and my boss wanted to corner the supply on it by funding Kressle to ensure this region stayed under control. In the longer-term, we were going to work out a deal so that my boss is the only one who gets regular shipment of the product out of the region."
Daimon doesn't sound entirely convinced as he asks, "That's it? Scouting out business? What is this plant good for? Who is this herbalist?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
pre:
Deception (Domingo) 2
Domingo is obviously not showing all of his cards, but he responds to Daimon's follow-up questions. "The plant's got a few uses. It's toxic if you ingest it, but doesn't have a strong taste or odor, so it's an effective poison." He pauses for a second, assessing the impact of that response before following it up further, "That said, I'm not a herbalist, I just work for one. Boss seemed to think it was a big deal, and told me to do what I can to secure the supply." He looks Daimon and Gorom over, perhaps getting the wrong impression of the men and their purpose, "Am I to understand you're taking charge of this area? If so, the deal's still on the table for whoever can claim it. Happs and Kressle obviously don't have it in them. They were trying to pull one over on their own boss, anyway, not the safest maneuver. If you can sort things out in this area, we can definitely talk business."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Jorvan had been listening to the conversation that Daimon and Gorom were having with Domingo. He stepped lightly into the room when the bandit mentioned Happs and Kessle trying to pull one over on their own boss.

"Yes, not the smartest thing one can do. Tell me what do you think will happen once their employer finds out about their mistake in judgement? One would hate for any business we might want to do with you and your associates to be complicated by other matters like blood feuds. That kind of messy business always causes problems. Perhaps you could tell us who their employer is before things get out of hand. "

Deception Roll: 1d20-1+1d4 12

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
Domingo jerks his head towards the amulet that Jergo is absently inspecting, commenting, "Kressle didn't want to talk about it, but Happs wasn't as loose-lipped. There's apparently a man who fancies himself king of the bandits in the Greenbelt, calls himself the Stag Lord. That amulet's supposed to be an insignia of rank in his imaginary kingdom." He laughs, "Though I suppose I shouldn't judge. The only way to become royalty in the River Kingdoms is to declare it, and kill anyone who says otherwise. Personally, from what I've seen, he doesn't have it in him, though." Domingo shrugs, "He's got the logistics in place to fund the construction of their camp along the Thorn, so he's obviously doing something right, but it just doesn't seem very professional. Anyway, I've never met the guy, he's apparently too paranoid to meet with a grunt like me. Keeps to himself and only speaks with his lieutenants. If you ask me he sounds a little out of it, but this region will do that to you, I suppose." There's a pause, as he thinks on Jorvan's other question for a moment, before responding, "As for what he'd do if he found out Kressle was cutting a deal under the table with me? Nothing good. A couple months back one of the lower ranking bandits robbed some traveling wizard, and apparently decided to bury his cache of wizarding things somewhere in the region, rather than give it up to their boss as expected. This Stag Lord guy found out and strung him up from a tree, flayed him alive. Happs took me on a tour of the grave like it was some loving clever spectacle. That's when I decided to try to cut a deal with Kressle instead of even bothering to try to meet their own boss, the guy's obviously a god drat psychopath."

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 13, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Daimon frowns slightly as Jorvan enters, but lets him speak without interruption. Once Domingo has finished telling him about Kressle and Happs' boss he asks, "To go back to this plant, what does it look like and what is it called? You're not a herbalist, but you must know that much. And who is your employer? We'll need to know who to send a message to if we decide we do want to do business."

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 11, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan looks at Daimon and sees the frown. "Forgive me for interrupting my friend. Elven ears and all." Jorvan gestures to his head and pats Daimon on the shoulder with the other. "I though I might offer some assistance. But please continue."

Casting guidance on Daimon. Add a d4 to next skill check.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Waador posted:

"And when we sell the furs, we will all be rich, and swimming in firm Brevoyan titties!"

Loudly clearing her throat, Autumn throws Oleg a scowl; crossing her arms over her chest, she also makes a mental note to only address Oleg in this posture, from now on.
"Ahem, don't you have a wife, sir?

I'm totally alright with Oleg's deal. Anyone not..?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trast posted:

Jorvan looks at Daimon and sees the frown. "Forgive me for interrupting my friend. Elven ears and all." Jorvan gestures to his head and pats Daimon on the shoulder with the other. "I though I might offer some assistance. But please continue."

Casting guidance on Daimon. Add a d4 to next skill check.
Daimon tenses for a moment when Jorvan pats his shoulder, "It's fine. A third set of ears to listen to this one can't hurt." He waits patiently for Domigo to answer the question about the plant and tries to work out what the man was holding information back about.

Dice and things posted:

Insight vs. Domigo's deception: 1d20+1 8
+1d4 from Guidance: 1d4 3 Total 11, which isn't great, but is better than 2.

Also fine with Oleg's deal.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...

Angrymog posted:

"To go back to this plant, what does it look like and what is it called? You're not a herbalist, but you must know that much. And who is your employer? We'll need to know who to send a message to if we decide we do want to do business."
"Yeah, for sure. It's called ephedra sinica. It looks kind of like a weed, with tendrils for branches. I report to a guy named Hector, if you want to discuss terms he'll have to give his blessing on anything we agree upon. Not sure you'd want to make the trek out to Daggermark for that, though. It'd be a lot safer to conduct communications through me. I can continue making the trek out to this area every couple of months, could start meeting here at the trading post if that works for you."

Daimon considers what Domingo has to say, and he seems to be sincere about what he's offering. It's not so much that he's trying to mislead you, as it is perhaps that he is trying to guide the conversation towards a conclusion where he's still useful to you alive. His offer to act as a middle-man in the negotiations with his employer is transparently an attempt to assign him value in your eyes, although at the same time it is also reasonable. He has an in with his employer and you don't, and he knows it. Meanwhile, Autumn learns more about Oleg.

With a laugh, Oleg explains, "Yes, of course! Svetlana is the most beautiful woman in all of the Greenbelt! But we have, how you say, an arrangement, yes? Hah! Our marriage, it is open! Which is good, because she is not from Brevoy, so how else could I get my fill of all this wonderful land has to offer?!"

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 13, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Waador posted:

"Yes, of course! Svetlana is the most beautiful woman in all of the Greenbelt! But we have, how you say, an arrangement, yes? Hah! Our marriage, it is open! Which is good, because she is not from Brevoy, so how else could I get my fill of all this wonderful land has to offer?!"

So in other words, Oleg has hoes in different area codes. :haw:

Insight: 14

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm

Gorom shuffled impatiently. "Flower-picking and pretend kings is a distraction. The Kressle-woman is the one we will concern ourselves with. I foresee we will have to face the Stag King later, but much preparation this will need."

"This one is not with the bandits," he said to Daimon, "He was taken as a precaution. If he stays away from Kressle, there is no ill will here." He said plainly. Gorom didn't care if the others wanted to make deals or trade with backwoods men. He was here to secure the Stolen Land and they'd just located a rival gang. In order to make a hold within the wilderness, he would have to quell or assimilate the opposition. "We will waste no more time. The Kressle-woman will be expecting her payment in 3 days; we will not disappoint. I will ready the horses, everyone will make themselves ready, too."

Outside, Gorom tracked down Oleg where he was being scolded by Autumn. "Oleg! This one will trade with you. I will take your shield to catch arrows instead of my arm next time." He said, pointing to the now bandaged hole in his shoulder. "You will fetch it while we discuss a fair trade." He said, asking for the price in his own way.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...

Teonis posted:

Outside, Gorom tracked down Oleg where he was being scolded by Autumn. "Oleg! This one will trade with you. I will take your shield to catch arrows instead of my arm next time." He said, pointing to the now bandaged hole in his shoulder. "You will fetch it while we discuss a fair trade." He said, asking for the price in his own way.
"Of course, my friend!" Oleg meanders into his back room, and before too long he returns with a heavy wooden shield, offering it to Gorom for his inspection. "It is well-made, yes?" While the half-orc is assessing the quality of the shield (which is in reasonably good condition), Oleg also returns to his storeroom and fetches a satchel, which he lays out on the picnic table that wasn't thoroughly ravaged by bears. He opens it up, and offers, "If you are going to be venturing into the forest, you should perhaps consider taking a few things with you, yes? These are medicinal poultices from my friend in the hills, and also some tonics to alleviate the poisonous bites of snakes or perhaps spiders. If you would be interested in taking them with you, I am sure we could work out a deal!"
pre:
Oleg is happy to offer Gorom his heavy wooden shield.
He also has two healing poultices, two vials of antitoxin, and a tincture to neutralize poison.
He has no idea how effective any of them are, but seems to believe they will work.
"You can have all of these things in exchange for that heavy silver and copper you no doubt don't wish to carry anyway, if we can come to a deal on allowing me the privilege of selling your other goods for you and splitting the profits, yes?"
pre:
He's actually offering you a decent deal.  He wants all of your silver and copper from the bandits,
which is worth about 143 pieces of gold.  In exchange, he'll give you what amounts to two healing
poultices, two vials of antitoxin, a tincture to neutralize poison, and a heavy wooden shield. 
That would run you somewhere around 300 gold pieces at market rates in Restov.
If you take the deal, you'll need to decide what goods you leave with him to sell for you.
As the day wears on, and the group's interrogation of the prisoners and contemplation of their next steps begins to finalize, eventually a woman emerges from Oleg's main hall. All suspicions that Oleg was perhaps leading them on vanish: she is an average-looking human woman, with a bit of a reserved demeanor, although that is perhaps attributable to the several near-death experiences the trading post has suffered in the last twenty-four hours.
pre:
Svetlana's charisma: 10
Surprisingly, she's real.
"Svetlana, my dear! You are awake! Please come say hello to our new friends!"
"...you all saved us from the bears? And from those horrible bandits? Thank you all so very much. I don't know what we would have done without your help."

From the vantage point available to you atop the watchtower at Oleg's trading post, you can see the beginnings of the forest to the southwest, and the beginnings of the swamp to the south. Your precise path has not yet been charted, but you have a vague idea of where you may need to go, which is more than you started with yesterday morning. So the question before all of you is simple: in which manner shall you head into the danger zone?
pre:
A quick primer of travel and exploration:
 - Each hex on the map is 12 miles from one side to another, and you will need
   to chart your course.
 - All hexes south of Oleg's trading post count as difficult terrain.
 - The travel speeds given in the Travel Pace table (PHB pg. 182) assume
   relatively simple terrain: roads, open plains, and so on.
 - You move at half speed in difficult terrain—moving 1 foot in difficult terrain
   costs 2 feet of speed—so you can cover only half the normal distance in a
   minute, an hour, or a day.

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 13, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Teonis posted:

"This one is not with the bandits," he said to Daimon, "He was taken as a precaution. If he stays away from Kressle, there is no ill will here." He said plainly. Gorom didn't care if the others wanted to make deals or trade with backwoods men. He was here to secure the Stolen Land and they'd just located a rival gang. In order to make a hold within the wilderness, he would have to quell or assimilate the opposition. "We will waste no more time. The Kressle-woman will be expecting her payment in 3 days; we will not disappoint. I will ready the horses, everyone will make themselves ready, too."

"He was taken because we didn't know if he was one of them. But I agree, since he isn't, as far as I'm concerned he's free to go." Daimon turns and leaves the shed; actually untieing Domingo is clearly someone else's job.

After Oleg's offered his potions and other goods, Daimon says, "That sounds reasonable to me." though he does look at the more financially astute members of the party (Jergo) for confirmation.

Waador posted:

"Svetlana, my dear! You are awake! Please come say hello to our new friends!"
"...you all saved us from the bears? And from those horrible bandits? Thank you all so very much. I don't know what we would have done without your help."

That Svetlana actually exists and seems to be normal is a surprise that he doesn't go to great lengths to disguise, "A group effort so far, but we still need to take out the remainder of Kressle's gang. A few more days at most."

Discussion posted:

Does that mean that it effectively takes us a day to cross a hex?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
pre:
Travel and exploration estimates are...

Travel across difficult terrain...
Fast pace, 15 miles per day, -5 penalty to passive perception scores
Normal pace, 12 miles per day, no other effect applied
Slow pace, 9 miles per day, able to use stealth while traveling

Exploring a hex...
'Plains' hex, 24 hours of exploration and mapping
'Forest' or 'Hills' hex, 48 hours of exploration and mapping
'Mountain' or 'Swamp' hex, 72 hours of exploration and mapping

If someone has the 'natural explorer' ranger ability for a given type of terrain,
the penalties for movement will of course be negated.  Similarly, you will be
able to explore that hex in half the required time.

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 13, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Autumn Somerset
AC: 13 | HP: 9/9
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 27/27
Hero Points: 4/5

"Let's get mounted."

Autumn saunters off to the stable to get her horse. "Do we want the wagon, or...?"

I assume it wouldn't hurt to have some towing capacity. Anywho, let's just move on with our lives and travel at Normal Pace towards the Bandit camp. I vote for the long route through the forests because gently caress swamplands forever.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I'll post something fluffy in the morning. As for what to do next I agree to Oleg's offer. As for the next task I vote to take care of the rest of the bandits. We can go out and meet them directly but I would prefer to scout out an ambush site and let them wander into it. We can use ADP's bat to scout ahead I'd imagine. I do not believe it is worth risking the time to go to the toll bridge or the gnolls as it could put our new friend Oleg in danger. They are the most immediate issue right now.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

P.d0t posted:

"Let's get mounted."

Autumn saunters off to the stable to get her horse. "Do we want the wagon, or...?"
"There aren't any roads in woods. We can walk and use a horse or two as a pack animal if we need to carry something really heavy."

Normal pace good, avoid the swamp because we were told there's a hydra there. Especially avoid the swamp if I get outvoted on the wagon :)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Clive nods his assent. Hitting the road now and working out the details of dealing with the bandits later is absolutely fine by him.

Clive fetches his new horse from the stable, tucking away a few apples in his pack. "Gala here says that the route they normally take skirts around the swamps on the way south. It seems like sound advice."

Clive then turns to Oleg. "Thank you for the kind offer of assistance. I think we're inclined to accept your offer, unless anybody has any objections." Clive looks around to see if there's any problem with the group making out like bandits. "And thank you for handling the rest of the goods that we'll be leaving here."

quote:

From pdot in the chat thread:
• Short sword (x2)
• Mace (x1)
• Longbow (x4)
• Heavy crossbow (x1)
• Leather armor (x3)

took the gems out of this list - I guess we just put that money in the cash pile?

"As much as I would love to stay and continue to enjoy your company - and your cooking! - it looks like we'll be getting on our way pretty quickly here. If it's not too much trouble, could we perhaps fill up our water skins and take a quick snack for the road? It might take us a few days to clear out this nest of bandits for you once and for all, and every little bit helps our chances."

quote:

- Suggest we skirt the swamp on the way south
- Deposit PDot's list with Oleg (I'm guessing that the leather armor can't be broken down at the moment, pdot)
- Persuade Oleg for a few portions of Food and water: 1d20+7 24

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

At Daimon's look Jergo begins doing some quick mental tallying, his arithmetic goes by quick and he throws Daimon a very enthusiastic nod.

Glancing off toward the south Jergo heaves a sigh, not excited to be back on the road after a month of travel. Setting aside his irritation he flexes his fingers and stretches out his back "Well then, I suppose let's get this done!"

quote:

Nothing I want from the pile of stuff so I'm cool with the list suggested for "selling".

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
Oleg responds predictably well to Clive's silver tongue.
"Of course, my friend! Please, take these waterskins, and this freshly cooked bread! Good luck in your travels, and come back in one piece, yes?" He also adds, "I'll even throw in some javelins!" With a laugh, he can't help but add, "Hah! Throw in a javelin! It is funny, because it is a weapon you throw!"
pre:
Oleg's trading post has taken the following...
• Short sword (x2)
• Mace (x1)
• Heavy crossbow (x1)
• Longbow (x4)
• Leather armor (x3)
• 2,300 copper pieces
• 1,200 silver pieces

You have retained the following...
• Head and hands of Happs Bydon
• Riding horses (x6)
• Dagger (x1)
• Short sword (x1)
• Arrows (x18) and bolts (x12)
• 20 gold pieces
• 6 bloodstones (50 gold piece value each)
• A bag with a day's worth of rations (x15)
• A silver amulet in the shape of a stag's skull.
• Poultice of healing (x2)
• Antitoxin (x2)
• Tincture of poison neutralization (x1)
• Javelins (x5)
• Wooden shield (x1)
• Waterskins and fresh bread (x5)
Traveling...
With your plans more or less figured out, you set out from the outpost, and Gala is more than happy to guide you along the path he is used to following. He chats up Clive a bit as you commence your journey.
"Yeah, don't worry, I've got this. Just stay away from the swamps and nothing can go wrong."

Your equine guide leads you south from Oleg's through the grasslands, and your first day of travel is uneventful, as is your night spent camping under the stars. Between the waterskins, bread and rations that you have available, the terrain is not so inhospitable, and although wolves and other animals bray in the darkness of the night, nothing troubles your group. A few hours into the journey the next morning, your group comes upon the edge of the forest, and your guide is rather excited at the prospect.
"Awwh, yeah. I found the forest. Who has four hooves and loves apples? This guy."

Although the horses have suggested that this is a safe path, Jergo doesn't seem to put his trust into hooved animals. It might be a religious belief, or perhaps a personal bias. He does, however, put his trust into a fiend summoned from hell itself ...and that trust is rewarded, surprisingly enough. Britzke has been flitting about the forest, scouting ahead for your group while you travel, and several hours into your journey through the forest, as day begins to turn to dusk, the familiar returns to apprise its master of a situation nearby.
"Hey, boss. I've got bad news, good news, and a surprise. There's a river up ahead, about thirty feet wide, not sure how deep it is. Looks like there's only way one across, which is a fallen tree about fifteen or twenty feet wide. There's a couple of chumps sitting around a campfire pretty close to the tree bridge, looks like they were digging a hole or something. There's a bunch of shovels and some other stuff laying around the area."
"Awwh, yeah. Who found the tree bridge? This guy."
pre:
You have been traveling at a normal pace, as directed.
The first day was uneventful.
It is late afternoon on the second day, and your bat has identified a threat.
What he saw is communicated to Jergo as set out below.
You're about ten minutes out from this location and can react accordingly.
You should probably figure out how many horses you brought, as well.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

As the group makes their exchanges and prepares to leave, Jergo makes his way into the stable and fetches Bibuton "Come along buddy time for more adventures!" signalling for Britzke he mentally gives directions to the fiendish bat, laying out his new duties scouting as the party travels.

Hark! A vagrant!

Jergo's face splits in a wide grin as Britzke relays his find "Well done Britzke! I appreciate it" his mind begins to buzz at the possibilities, it was only earlier that day that they were informed of the bandits hiding caches of goodies around and Jergo is excited at having potentially discovered one of said locations, or maybe they're burying bodies that might be happening too! Who knows?

Turning to the group Jergo holds up a sleeve where Britzke is dangling "So my little friend here says we have some 'chumps' up ahead that are digging a hole, we may have some more bandit friends to deal with in short order." Flipping his athame into his hand from his belt Jergo casts his armor spell once again and looks to the group "Now then, how do we want to approach this? We could just shoot at them and toss magic at them from across the river and move on over or something a little more sneaky?"

Familiar: Britzke the Fiendish Bat: 60' blindsight.
Spellbook (Save DC:13 +5 attack)
Rituals: Alarm(11min), Comprehend Language(10min), Detect Magic(10min), Find Familiar(1h10min 10gp)
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Chill Touch, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth
Prepared Spells
Lv. 1 [1/2]: Mage Armor, Shield, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages
Class: Arcane Recovery (1 spell level p/long rest)
Effects: Mage Armor(8 hours)(13 ac becomes 16)

quote:

Recasting mage armor as we approach the encounter after Britzke's warning.
Bringing Bibuton with us because MY BUDDY.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 15, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Turning to the group Jergo holds up a sleeve where Britzke is dangling "So my little friend here says we have some 'chumps' up ahead that are digging a hole, we may have some more bandit friends to deal with in short order. Flipping his athame into his hand from his belt Jergo casts his armor spell once again and looks to the group "Now then, how do we want to approach this? We could just shoot at them and toss magic at them from across the river and move on over or something a little more sneaky?"

"Autumn, can you have a look before we charge in?"

things, no dice posted:

* Good with the fake camp plan, though there's no real reason not to just charge them if there really are just two of them. The only downside of the fake camp plan is them not attacking and instead scurrying off to tell the rest of the band that there are rich travellers wandering down the road.
* Everyone should have a horse (whether originally theirs or one of the bandit's) and we should have one remount for the group in case of lameness or being eaten by gryphons and owlbears.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Angrymog posted:

"Autumn, can you have a look before we charge in?"

Jergo purses his lips at Daimon's suggestion but refrains from saying anything.

:v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That was a few days ago. I'm sure that BLESSED OROKOS will favour her this time.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Clive pats Gala on the neck with gusto. "Wonderful job, Gala. You've done swimmingly. My friends here say that there are some humans up at the tree bridge digging holes - do you happen to have any idea what that might be about? Were they here when you last passed through?"

Clive dismounts and quickly checks that the gear is secure.

quote:

What peeps should be keeping track of
Autumn: amulet, short sword, arrows (9), 1 riding horse
Gorom: Shield, Javelins (5)
Jorvan: Arrows (9), Horse, Head and hands of Happs :v:
Jergo: You want to hold the healing poultices(2)/antitoxins(2)/anti-poison tincture for the party? Maybe distribute them as would be most effective in a combat situation?
Daimon: Horse, bolts (12)
Clive: Horse, dagger
Party: 320 gold (divided into 7 shares, but left as a pile because most of the denominations are in 50s), a bag, rations x15, water and bread

-leave 2 horses with Oleg

Clive then keeps a close eye on Autumn, in case she needs another quick assist. "Let's do try to be more careful than the last time!"

quote:

- Follow at a distance of 30' (should be out of sight but let me know if you need a stealth roll)
- Prepare to turn Autumn (edit: or anybody, e.g. Jorvan that will be scouting at the moment) into a boulder if the need arise (minor illusion). For now, maybe just confirm visual, roll an active perception to see if you can spot any sneaky ones, then come back and report? If we're lucky we'll overhear something useful too.

Split the difference and assumed I have Speak With Animals still active for about a half hour

Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (3/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (2/2).
status effects: Speak with Animals (30mins)

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 15, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 15/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (1/1)

Gorom rode up front with Kahli, second only to Gala who lead the way. When they stopped Gorom listened to the information that was sing passed along by the two animal-talkers. "We will scout the wood, see if any other men are lurking nearby before we attack. This is what I would do." He said with his warrior's insight. "We will cross downstream and make our way back; I do not like crossing while being shot at by bows."

He turned Kahli, intent on going further down river. "Have the night-bird look for more men. Ask the horse if there are other crossings." He said to the others in his own gruff way. While much of their group could attack from the other side of the river, it would be a problem if they fled. The party would only be able to cross one at a time and would likely lose the men in the woods.

pre:
gaining a shield and 5 javelins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Teonis posted:

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 15/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (1/1)

Gorom rode up front with Kahli, second only to Gala who lead the way. When they stopped Gorom listened to the information that was sing passed along by the two animal-talkers. "We will scout the wood, see if any other men are lurking nearby before we attack. This is what I would do." He said with his warrior's insight. "We will cross downstream and make our way back; I do not like crossing while being shot at by bows."

Daimon doesn't like taking orders and objects, "We don't know how far we need to ride to cross the river, or if it even is fordable. And if we're going to detour like that, might as well ignore these guys totally. Send the bat and Autumn for better intelligence, before we strike, but I really think you're overthinking this."

• Locked thread