Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Apple Music is now live -- introduced in iOS 8.4 & OS X 10.10.4 (iTunes 12.2) -- and this is a thread to talk about it.

Q. What is Apple Music?
A. Apple Music is a lot of things.
It's Apple's answer to Spotify, it's iTunes, it's all of the algorithmic radio stations that have been inside of iTunes for the past however long, and it's Apple's brand new curated 'Beats 1' station.

Q. How much does Apple Music cost?
A. For the first three months, it's free; then it's $9.99/mo for a single plan and $14.99/mo for a family plan -- note: the family plan requires that you use Apple's Family Sharing. This means you can't share it with your friends unless you also want to share app store purchases, etc.

Q. So why is this better than Spotify/Rdio/Google Music/Tidal/buying stuff from iTunes?
A. It might not be! It's new, and it's free for 3 months, which is why people are excited. Check out what The Verge thinks about it if you're curious in a comparison with other streaming services.

Q. I already have iTunes match. Can I get rid of that if I pay $9.99/mo for Apple Music?
A. Yup. If you're not interested in the streaming, iTunes Match will continue to exist.

Q. I only listen to FLAC recordings. What bitrate does this stream?
A. 256kbps AAC.

Q. Okay, so what's Beats 1 and who is Zane Lowe?
A. This is Apple's human-curated radio station. It's part of their push away from algorithmic playlists and their attempt to make a radio station sound like a new idea. Zane Lowe hosted BBC Radio 1 for a while and now Apple pays him a lot of money to talk over music on their new station.

Q. So how do I know what's playing on Beats 1?
A. There's a schedule on Apple's official Apple Music Tumblr page. I'd imagine they'll keep this updated for the foreseeable future. You can also call in and request a song (is this 1998?) here.

Q. Does this replace the existing Music app on iOS?
A. Yes. Once you upgrade to iOS 8.4, you get a new icon and a new app.

Q. Is there a way to move my Spotify/Rdio/Beats playlist to Apple Music?
A. 9to5 Mac did a write-up on this, and you should be able to follow this link to transfer your playlist. I haven't tested it myself, and I'm sure everyone's servers are overloaded, but this is your best bet right now. Not really

This op is a work-in-progress; feel free to send me suggestions if you want something added.

maduin fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Where the gently caress do I delete radio stations?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If I have itunes match already, should I subscribe to this and get rid of match or what?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mattfl posted:

If I have itunes match already, should I subscribe to this and get rid of match or what?

I've read conflicting reports so I have no idea. I'm guessing we'll get a definite yes/no soon.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The selection of artists available for streaming is really confusing. Some really big (albeit foreign) bands are missing, but Death Grips have a huge selection? I'm really happy to see them there but I definitely didn't expect them to be on there when artists like Namie Amuro are nowhere to be seen.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Can't use it as I'm on 64 bit Windows and Apple decided to only update the 32bit version

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

The selection of artists available for streaming is really confusing. Some really big (albeit foreign) bands are missing, but Death Grips have a huge selection? I'm really happy to see them there but I definitely didn't expect them to be on there when artists like Namie Amuro are nowhere to be seen.

dude who the gently caress is namie amuro

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

KingAsmo posted:

dude who the gently caress is namie amuro

Popular idol in Japan.

Just a few collaborations with some other artists, but that's it. Yeah, the selection is pretty hit and miss at the moment for me. Yuzu is no where to be found apart from random songs, but The Mirraz (Japan garage rock-ish band) has their major label albums, but not their indies. LINE music also has those problems though, and it's still better than nothing at all.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beats Radio reminds me why I stopped listening to radio.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Beats Radio reminds me why I stopped listening to radio.

The music selection seems varied enough but holy hell Zane, SHUT UP.

I get that you're excited, but don't start talking in the middle of the song and especially don't tell me "how amazing" the drum solo I can't hear because you're talking is. I hope they dial back the talking and trailers.

The Canadian Indie station is pretty good though. Heard a lot of favorites and a lot of new stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like it a lot. It was a seamless transition from Beats Music, though a Twitter friend is apparently having trouble transferring his Beats library over.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Tried listening to a bit of Beats 1 and the music is at least better than whatever gets played on the radio stations my workplace puts on (usually Radio 1, CoolFM and U105) even if it's not really to my tastes but the feel is still too "radio-y" for me. I think in a few months once they stop needing to hype up the concept of a radio station that plays worldwide while spouting company slogans and just get on with the content it'll be better.

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, just a few collaborations with some other artists, but that's it. Yeah, the selection is pretty hit and miss at the moment for me. Yuzu is no where to be found apart from random songs, but The Mirraz (Japan garage rock-ish band) has their major label albums, but not their indies. LINE music also has those problems though, and it's still better than nothing at all.
This is always my problem with regional variations in music services. The iTunes store (UK) has a ton of great foreign music and the regional iTunes stores has even more stuff and being locked out of that both by regional store purchases and by streaming services just feels like antiquated bullshit in 2015.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Does this totally replace the existing Music app? I don't want my existing library to be buried under that single "My Music" button.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has anyone been able to get the "All/My Music" thing to show up? In the keynote, it looked like this:

but mine doesn't have that option at the top. The app is freaking the gently caress out right now or I'd show you a screen of mine.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ryangs posted:

Does this totally replace the existing Music app? I don't want my existing library to be buried under that single "My Music" button.

Sadly, yes. :(

EDIT: Connect is dumb and artist will stop using it within a year.

EDIT2: I know they're pushing Apple Music right now, but I'd really like to reorder the icons at the bottom like before, putting My Music first (it was before I tried the 3 month sub???) cause odds are pretty good I'm going to listen to My Music FIRST.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 30, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I think in a few months once they stop needing to hype up the concept of a radio station that plays worldwide while spouting company slogans and just get on with the content it'll be better.

You sure? BBC 1 and such do this ALL the time. Still.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Snuffman posted:

Sadly, yes. :(

Jesus loving poo poo wipe. This is the first time I have really felt the "Apple is loving us again!" rage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Cross posting from apps thread, how do you change the user in Apple Music? I selected the family plan, and my wife is in my iCloud family, but there's no way to select her on Apple Music as far as I can tell.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Has anyone been able to get the "All/My Music" thing to show up? In the keynote, it looked like this:

but mine doesn't have that option at the top. The app is freaking the gently caress out right now or I'd show you a screen of mine.

It won't show up unless you have Apple Music content from that artist.

It's contextual. If you only have your own content, there's no "all" content to show, so you don't get the option.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

ryangs posted:

There's an option in settings for "show Apple music," so you might see what switching that off does.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

It won't show up unless you have Apple Music content from that artist.

It's contextual. If you only have your own content, there's no "all" content to show, so you don't get the option.

So what do I have to do to get Apple Music content from the artist? I figured it would just be a button at the top and you would be able to switch seamlessly from stuff you had to stuff that they had.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Tried listening to a bit of Beats 1 and the music is at least better than whatever gets played on the radio stations my workplace puts on (usually Radio 1, CoolFM and U105) even if it's not really to my tastes but the feel is still too "radio-y" for me. I think in a few months once they stop needing to hype up the concept of a radio station that plays worldwide while spouting company slogans and just get on with the content it'll be better.

This is always my problem with regional variations in music services. The iTunes store (UK) has a ton of great foreign music and the regional iTunes stores has even more stuff and being locked out of that both by regional store purchases and by streaming services just feels like antiquated bullshit in 2015.

Yea. I am sure it will fade, at least hopefully, because it has only been an hour but I am already tired of the ridiculous WORLDWIDE, SHOUTOUT TO KIEV, BANGLADESH, SRI LANKA, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? 100 COUNTRIES CAN HEAR US

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

So what do I have to do to get Apple Music content from the artist? I figured it would just be a button at the top and you would be able to switch seamlessly from stuff you had to stuff that they had.

"Add To My Library" from anywhere it'll let you: For You tab, New tab, the global search...

Basically, Apple envisions you adding music either from the discovery features (For You, New) or from already knowing what you want (global search).

You can't currently be looking at your own Taylor Swift discography and think "Gee, I wonder what else Apple Music has in her catalog" and seamlessly dump it into your library too.

Edit: Scratch that. It's all hosed up and may be changing on the fly.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

It's definitely working for me, but only for some artists? It might need to load. I dunno.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely working for me, but only for some artists? It might need to load. I dunno.

Did you do the "add to my music" thing for any of the artists it's doing it for? Or is it just doing it automatically? When I did the "add to my music" thing it worked for that one artist. I'm not getting the "connect" thing on the artist page for anyone though, unless I do a search for them.

E: Ok, specifically with NIN, I get exactly what you do, but with Aimee Mann, just this:

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

theradiostillsucks posted:

There's an option in settings for "show Apple music," so you might see what switching that off does.

Oh, there's hope! Maybe I'll install the update and try.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

It's actually really sweet. In the music app you search and it pulls up the artist by album and such.

Selecting the album context gives you the options to download and add to your library.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tuyop posted:

It's actually really sweet. In the music app you search and it pulls up the artist by album and such.

Selecting the album context gives you the options to download and add to your library.

Yeah but the question I have is why is it inconsistent? I haven't done that for NIN, yet I still get the full "All/Connect/My Music" bar for them. But with Aimee Mann, I don't get any option there except "Follow."

Also is there any word on when iTunes is going to update to have all this functionality?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

No more Landscape mode? Ugh :(

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
The lack of native scrobbling support is killing me. It's trivially easy to integrate and not having it is a real bummer. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but the question I have is why is it inconsistent? I haven't done that for NIN, yet I still get the full "All/Connect/My Music" bar for them. But with Aimee Mann, I don't get any option there except "Follow."

Also is there any word on when iTunes is going to update to have all this functionality?
I don't know why it's inconsistent, but it seems that adding something from Apple Music enables that for things it's not on. I just added a Ramones album I don't have and it was lacking the toggle before, but it was there after I added it. Wish I had a better answer for you.

On a more positive note, there's an actual blues genre, which Beats was missing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Loving the lag the app has now just playing my own locally stored music. I'm not on an old phone either, its a 5S.

I tap skip, and instead of instantaneous, there's a noticeable pause. Same with the app updating what's actually playing when I open the app from sleep mode.

Ugh.

Also, they did such a good job spacing everything out in app, only to cram it into a tiny little space on the lock screen.

EDIT: Ok...weird...the lag is ONLY on the lock screen and coming off the lock screen. What the hell Apple?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone get the Siri stuff working? I asked to to play "the song from Les Miserable" and it says it'll play I Dream I Dream and then nothing happens. Also I could've sworn you could ask for music from a specific decade, but "play some rock music from the 80s" confuses it.

Feenix posted:

You sure? BBC 1 and such do this ALL the time. Still.
That's my point, I want them to stop being just "a radio station."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone else not able to get iCloud Library enabled? It keeps telling me it's not able to do it. I can't add anything to My Music without it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Every time I try streaming something now it's booking me back to the "join Apple Music" page and won't go any further when I tell it again to do the Individual account. Anyone else having this problem?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I can add things to My Music, but then it never actually shows up with my music. Does it have to be downloaded locally for it to show up there?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can anyone get the Siri stuff working? I asked to to play "the song from Les Miserable" and it says it'll play I Dream I Dream and then nothing happens. Also I could've sworn you could ask for music from a specific decade, but "play some rock music from the 80s" confuses it.

I've had this issue with siri with my own music for a long time. I'll tell it to play Some loving Song by Some loving Band and it'll be like "Ok, here's Some loving Song" and then not actually play it.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
How long before somebody makes a tool that allows you to import spotify playlists to Apple Music?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wait a minute, so embedded album art on your local music actually gets overruled by whatever's on the Apple Music server? That is some poo poo right there. On first glance I just thought the outside art was being used for the artist view, which would be fine.

EDIT: I accept your judgment in advance for the Linkin Park. But seriously, look at this poo poo:

again, this is LOCAL music. wtf

EDIT 2: the changed art shows up in 3rd party music apps too. drat it.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

silentq15 posted:

How long before somebody makes a tool that allows you to import spotify playlists to Apple Music?

Like 2 hours ago: http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/29/how-to-move-spotify-rdio-playlists-apple-music/

• Locked thread