Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
The first thing I hear when I turn on Beats 1 is Justin Bieber. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm really loving enjoying beats1 had it on since 11am playing in the background.

Super Dude posted:

The first thing I hear when I turn on Beats 1 is Justin Bieber. :raise:

Its a skrillex/diplo song with JB singing it, its aight.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
iTunes 12.2 is out for those of you without iDevices.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

coldplay chiptunes posted:

iTunes 12.2 is out for those of you without iDevices.

Link? Not showing up for me.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I dunno I just checked the App Store and it was available under updates.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If I add songs to my music does it automatically make them available offline? I have to have some playlists offline for driving because I lose my data connection frequently.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Popular idol in Japan.

Just a few collaborations with some other artists, but that's it. Yeah, the selection is pretty hit and miss at the moment for me. Yuzu is no where to be found apart from random songs, but The Mirraz (Japan garage rock-ish band) has their major label albums, but not their indies. LINE music also has those problems though, and it's still better than nothing at all.

I don't think Japanese bands or idols are going to be showing up unless they're huge dude.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

nickutz posted:

If I add songs to my music does it automatically make them available offline? I have to have some playlists offline for driving because I lose my data connection frequently.
I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of adding something to your music. Or at least that's how it works on Spotify. I haven't tested with Apple Music.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I dunno I just checked the App Store and it was available under updates.

Ah, that's probably it. Mac version might be out but the Windows version hasn't dropped yet.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of adding something to your music. Or at least that's how it works on Spotify. I haven't tested with Apple Music.

I'm coming from Spotify so that's why I ask. At least on spotify there is a very obvious toggle for "available offline" and anytime I hit the + button to add to my songs it gets downloaded.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

Ah, that's probably it. Mac version might be out but the Windows version hasn't dropped yet.
MacRumors says they were released simultaneously but it might take a bit to propagate.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nickutz posted:

I'm coming from Spotify so that's why I ask. At least on spotify there is a very obvious toggle for "available offline" and anytime I hit the + button to add to my songs it gets downloaded.

There's an option to make it available offline when you want to add it to your music.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

12.1 is still the current version

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There's an option to make it available offline when you want to add it to your music.
And the same option is available after you add it to My Music, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, adding it to My Music just makes it show up in your library tab, the same way any cloud music you have. Then you can download it to your phone to be available offline. Seems to work just like iTunes Match.

e: Beats 1 is basically all the reasons I stopped listening to normal radio, but now on the internet. They don't play full songs, the songs are all censored, the DJs won't shut the gently caress up. The only thing different is it doesn't have commercials. Think I'll probably stick to my custom stations.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 30, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, adding it to My Music just makes it show up in your library tab, the same way any cloud music you have. Then you can download it to your phone to be available offline. Seems to work just like iTunes Match.

e: Beats 1 is basically all the reasons I stopped listening to normal radio, but now on the internet. They don't play full songs, the songs are all censored, the DJs won't shut the gently caress up. The only thing different is it doesn't have commercials. Think I'll probably stick to my custom stations.

You don't have to listen to it dude.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I don't think Japanese bands or idols are going to be showing up unless they're huge dude.

I have a Japanese account, so my music comes from that iTunes region. I have two iTunes accounts, my Japanese account and my American one I use for my dev license. I mentioned in the iPhone thread (before this one was made) that there is no geo location blocking, at least not yet. So as long as you have that regions account (and have a credit card/billing address/whatever) you can access that music anywhere in the world.

Hence why I was complaining a little bit. But again, streaming music in Japan is still a new thing, and the other music services like LINE music are lacking too.

EDIT: Also with the iCloud music locker thing, I can upload the stuff that's not there anyway. For example, I already own pretty much all of Yuzu's discography, so it'll just upload to iCloud and let it handle it. I was only interested in the newest singles and stuff.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

He's actually fairly reasonable compared to most of the people complaining about what boils down to a single radio station.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I know, but I wanted to give it a shot. I like the idea of it, having programming blocks and music picked by a live person. They just, for some reason, decided to bring over all the obnoxious crap from terrestrial radio with that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I keep getting "an error occurred" when trying to access the Apple Music tab. :shobon:

Also radio doesn't work at all. Not that I'm super anxious to try it out, I suppose they're getting hammered, just seems weird. Is Apple Music on that list of "Apple Services" that the one website shows as down/up/kinda down?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

After playing with Music for a few hours on iTunes or iOS I feel like the only reason it's a bit weird is because I am so used to Spotify. If I used this first I very well might like it better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This instrumental version of The Fragile that Trent Reznor put up is awesome. I really hope more artist latch onto this thing and put up cool poo poo like this.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Initially I like this more than spotify, at least on my phone.

I normally use spotify to find new stuff and drop anything I like into a new playlist every month. The artist and saving album functionality aint great.

Saying this, I've still got 2 more years of being eligible for half price student spotify. I was not expecting such a low family price though.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
How does the Match thing built into Apple Music work? I added some Beatles music to my iTunes library, but they aren't showing up in my music on my phone. Do I need to turn some settings on?

edit: Nevermind, it finally showed up after about an hour. The album art is completely wrong though...it doesn't match what's on my computer or the iTunes store.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 1, 2015

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I like it so far compared to spotify. Glad I have 3 months to get used to it and decide if I want to stay with it or not.

As for Beats 1, I like it. It's a lot like BBC Radio 1. I do wish they would talk a bit less, but I generally don't mind the talking. That's part of the reason I listen to radio instead of just streaming all my music.

I do wish I could add music to my playlist straight from Beats 1. That's the main reason I like it, as a music discovery tool.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Super Dude posted:

How does the Match thing built into Apple Music work? I added some Beatles music to my iTunes library, but they aren't showing up in my music on my phone. Do I need to turn some settings on?

Try File-->Library-->Update iCloud Library.

Also I noticed that iTunes Match doesn't show up at all in iTunes for me since I turned on the Apple Music stuff. I guess it is indeed a 100% replacement.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duey posted:

I like it so far compared to spotify. Glad I have 3 months to get used to it and decide if I want to stay with it or not.

As for Beats 1, I like it. It's a lot like BBC Radio 1. I do wish they would talk a bit less, but I generally don't mind the talking. That's part of the reason I listen to radio instead of just streaming all my music.

I do wish I could add music to my playlist straight from Beats 1. That's the main reason I like it, as a music discovery tool.

I'd be totally fine with them talking between songs, it's just them only playing songs partially and talking over them that annoys me. I think the idea has a lot of potential, but they need to refine some stuff.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Duey posted:

I can do it from iTunes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Super Dude posted:

I can do it from iTunes.

It seems to vary on a song-by-song basis. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
There desperately needs to be a "shuffle artist" feature. That's mainly how I used Spotify.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

It seems to vary on a song-by-song basis. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

Yeah. It probably has to do with if the song playing is part of the streaming service. They played a song I wanted to add and so when I searched the artist that song wasn't available

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CancerStick posted:

Yeah. It probably has to do with if the song playing is part of the streaming service. They played a song I wanted to add and so when I searched the artist that song wasn't available

Yea this is exactly right. Also, someone earlier was saying songs are censored, but I have heard curses and sexual slang throughout the day. So that is a song by song basis as well.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

My only problem right now is that the app is so "busy." It's not intuitive to me yet but hopefully I'll get used to it during the trial period.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I must have missed the announcement, but one of the cooler parts of Apple Music is all of the music videos that are streamable. Didn't expect that.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

12.2 dropped but only as a manual installer that fails to download

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else have Beats 1 stop working and give error code 12880 when trying to start on iOS 8.4? (On iTunes 12.2 it just tries to start for a second then silently fails.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

carry on then posted:

Anyone else have Beats 1 stop working and give error code 12880 when trying to start on iOS 8.4? (On iTunes 12.2 it just tries to start for a second then silently fails.)

That's the servers getting hammered.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
AWS EC2 died, I think. Reddit was hosed up too. Bad look on launch day though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, what's the deal with iTunes Match? It's a completely separate subscription in my Apple Account.

Since all my music has lived there for a while now, should I do a download of my entire library to local storage before I turn it off? Apple's site isn't a real help here.

And what about the songs I have that aren't in the iTunes store/part of the Apple Music offering? Will I need to "re-add" them into Apple Music if I turn off Match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I guess "Always on" wasn't a great catchphrase.

• Locked thread