Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Eh. People used to abuse language barrier rules and poo poo like that at Worlds all the time. Magic is dumb because at a certain point all you can do is try and correctly guess which one of the top 3 netdecks would be best in the meta at whichever tournament you're going to. Then you just hopefully get the right cards when you need em.

Deck A B and C. Deck A is best against deck C. Correctly guess deck C will be the most played deck. Hope you make it to top 8 and get lucky.

or you cheat and hope no one catches you, which they rarely do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

babypolis posted:

though i always liked limited more than constructed cuz of the prevalence of a few decks

limited is good, but limited is also the only format wizards really even designs the game for these days

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

NecroMonster posted:

limited is good, but limited is also the only format wizards really even designs the game for these days

definitely wrong

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

definitely wrong

oh did they start designing for constructed again? it's been like five or so years since i've read about mtg design, and i know for sure that, back then, mark rosewater pmuch claimed they don't really pay much attention to constructed when it comes to game design

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i cast tear from reality on cursed lumberjack and his whole table of cards is destroyed b4 his very eyes >8)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
are those basic lands with the nice pictures supposed to be valuable

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Lol at the idea that a loving magic card can not be faked

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i usually just get some playing cards, then i print out the magic card art on normal paper and stick them both in a card sleeve. lol at anyone that pays for expensive card stock:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NecroMonster posted:

they use special card stock with thin layers of plastic embedded in it and extremely high quality inks, it's both anti-counterfitting and simply necessary for the quality of the cards

Oh cool can I get outraged that some nerd might be using fakes and demand that he tear one in half so I can see if it has the plastic layers?

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

the chinamen will just use their mystic kung fu powers to pull closely guarded industry secrets about manufacturing processes and materials out of thin air

p sure this is actually how these get made

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
Paper AND Plastic????

Lol good luck figuring out how to use plastic China.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

Oh cool can I get outraged that some nerd might be using fakes and demand that he tear one in half so I can see if it has the plastic layers?

usually tearing the card in half is only done if it fails other tests

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

these chinese have been trying to fake magic cards for loving years and ain't managed anything believable yet, i just wanna know if these new fakes are or not

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

so how do i buy these cards? i have friends who play and would sperg out over them so it would be worth it

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

NecroMonster posted:

these chinese have been trying to fake magic cards for loving years and ain't managed anything believable yet, i just wanna know if these new fakes are or not

They look okay, other than the fonts used being a bit off and a few other small details. It's easy enough to notice if you look up a legit version of the card most the time.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

the cards aren't actually magical I think

edit: wait, are they??

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 1, 2015

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Tenacious J posted:

the cards aren't actually magical I think

edit: wait, are they??

They are inanimate objects that can rob you of intimacy with other humans. That's like a bad magical spell I think?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rutibex posted:

i usually just get some playing cards, then i print out the magic card art on normal paper and stick them both in a card sleeve. lol at anyone that pays for expensive card stock:

but if I don't spend the price of a nice night out on a piece of paper with a flower on it how am I truly proving that I am better than everyone else at card games

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pretty soft girl posted:

lol at chaos orb errata, can only imagine how many physical nerd slap fights that card caused

I remember back when I played in middle school there was a rumor that someone tore up their chaos orb into a bunch of scraps and sprinkled it all over their opponents deck. That sounded like a pretty rad play.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

It's too bad you can't get something the exact size and shape of a Magic card with the proper back that happens to be worthless. Guess you are stuck using playing cards.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

pretty soft girl posted:

but if I don't spend the price of a nice night out on a piece of paper with a flower on it how am I truly proving that I am better than everyone else at card games

i'd have to get a few 8 balls of coke to equal the cost of a lotus, i don't think i've ever spent that much money at once except at a university

e: its worse than that, you have to buy one to compete in major tournaments with fabulous prizes

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
But there's tons of low quality chinese fakes out there, where do I go to get the good ones that you can't tell are fake once they are in sleeves?

EDIT: This is a serious post, help me find the right ones on alibaba

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I remember the pokemon cards kids hated the magic cards kids at school

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

I remember the pokemon cards kids hated the magic cards kids at school

sounds like a hateful bunch of kindergarteners

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Agreed OP, but why would anyone care

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

sounds like a hateful bunch of kindergarteners

they were, and it seems like they still are

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
uh no but for real someone link me this bullshit, i'm a proxyist with 10+ years experience, the best i've ever managed was using high power laquer thinner on white revised commons and an inkjet printer

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

huskarl_marx posted:

uh no but for real someone link me this bullshit, i'm a proxyist with 10+ years experience, the best i've ever managed was using high power laquer thinner on white revised commons and an inkjet printer

is this some kind of legal jargon

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
might as well be, magic the gathering taught me a lot about logic, strategy and gave me an interest in the classical world

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

huskarl_marx posted:

might as well be, magic the gathering taught me a lot about logic, strategy and gave me an interest in the classical world

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
you wouldnt' understand if you joined the game during the periods where they were actively creating novels to go along with the game

it was better when it was a limited view of events gleaned through vague flavor text

:goonsay:

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
this urza and mishra motherfuckers sound hard core but whats up with this vishnod guy??

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
who knows

who even knows

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
but no for real tell me more about these proxies, i genuinely want a bunch of fake cards to appease the nostalgic creature hungering within

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

huskarl_marx posted:

who knows

who even knows

yeah sup with pyrexia or that guy ith, whose wand I had

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

and whats the deal with lim dul huh?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
should children who want to be part of a community and learn a strategy game be allowed to without spending 50 dollars, 500 dollars, 5000 dollars or even 15,000 dollars for a single piece of worthless cardboard paper?

of course not, because retarded sweaty people exist and they play it for real.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Huh, my Time Walk is worth 4 grand. I should sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

extra stout posted:

should children who want to be part of a community and learn a strategy game be allowed to without spending 50 dollars, 500 dollars, 5000 dollars or even 15,000 dollars for a single piece of worthless cardboard paper?

of course not, because retarded sweaty people exist and they play it for real.

one day my friend john came over to my house to play mtg with my roommate and I asked him why he had all of his cards printed out and in sleeves. he told me that buying the actual cards was absurd and for "chumps".

people that are suckered into paying hundreds of dollars for a paper that isnt government-backed currency or a deed to a more valuable asset are legit retarded.

• Locked thread