Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm beginning to remember why I didn't like magic the gathering players in general, jeeeeeeeesus

yea dude its worth mentioning that the downside is interacting with magic players which is a fairly stinky proposition all spergin aside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

*pictures of dude kneeling solemnly before assorted rear end-cracks*

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
on the plus side, if i never played magic, i never would have had the chance to watch 3 different 300+ pound guys sit down straight through a plastic chair onto the floor

so theres that

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

NecroMonster posted:

are the fakes actually any good tho?

i mean, printing something that looks the same isn't hard, but everything else about magic cards is a loving bitch to get right

seriously how hard can it be. scan it, print it lol. its not like they dont already come from some barely adequate chinese company for uh "legit" ones

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

if you cast magic fireballs with fake cards it explodes

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i don't know what's funnier that fat people can't sit in plastic chairs without breaking them or that fat people keep trying to sit in plastic chairs that they have to know will break

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

NecroMonster posted:

i don't know what's funnier that fat people can't sit in plastic chairs without breaking them or that fat people keep trying to sit in plastic chairs that they have to know will break

if I was really fat I'd sit in every plastic chair I could find in hopes that it would break, cushioned from the fall by my general bulk and content that I'd found my lot in life

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

seriously how hard can it be. scan it, print it lol. its not like they dont already come from some barely adequate chinese company for uh "legit" ones

they use special card stock with thin layers of plastic embedded in it and extremely high quality inks, it's both anti-counterfitting and simply necessary for the quality of the cards

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I wonder what the concerned buttcrack guy thinks about all this.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i think buttcrack man was banned from playing mtg for shaming other mtg players

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i thought he was very respectful

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

yea so that is literally actually how it went down, the guy who ran the tournaments kept yelling at the fatties to not sit in the lovely plastic chairs since they were rated like max 180lbs, so he literally went and bought metal chairs so that the fatties would have chairs they could sit on without breaking

but the chairs would sit stacked by the register and when a fatty waddles over to table 23, he sure as hell isnt going back to the store entrance to get a chair and carry it all the way back, so he just sits on the plastic one and breaks the poo poo out of it

3 times

3 different guys

hngh

e: all 3 were present to see each of the other two happening

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

criticizing the appearance or hygiene of the greasy smelly hairy nerds who play mtg is verboten

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
theres a regular who gets winded from shuffling his deck at the start of a match

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

criticizing the appearance or hygiene of the greasy smelly hairy nerds who play mtg is verboten

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

theres a regular who gets winded from shuffling his deck at the start of a match

oh okay this ones fine then

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

but seriously anyone who's played mtg properly should give playing constructed allowing proxies a go so you realize just what a loving crap fest constructed mtg is and stop wasting money playing that garbage game

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

yea so that is literally actually how it went down, the guy who ran the tournaments kept yelling at the fatties to not sit in the lovely plastic chairs since they were rated like max 180lbs, so he literally went and bought metal chairs so that the fatties would have chairs they could sit on without breaking

but the chairs would sit stacked by the register and when a fatty waddles over to table 23, he sure as hell isnt going back to the store entrance to get a chair and carry it all the way back, so he just sits on the plastic one and breaks the poo poo out of it

3 times

3 different guys

hngh

e: all 3 were present to see each of the other two happening

"it's looking like a 3-chair day tom. get the key to the dumpster"

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

NecroMonster posted:

mtg players do enough to shame themselves, what a travesty

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

theres no point, theres only a few hundred high quality black lotuses so if you put on up for sale it will get scrutinized by every sperg this side of the atlantic ocean

they print off massive sheets of hundreds of dual lands and stuff that are worth a few hundred each and sell them for 50-100 rather than their real price, people are so excited about a good deal they buy 4

there really is a lot of hubbub about these but the truth is they are very easy to spot if you are not a retarded kid using moms credit card to buy poo poo off ebay. its really a non-issue aside from the nerds who are sad they might get fleeced due to their stupidity/greed/lack of care

wait are dual lands really worth a few hundred? i still have my old cards from like 20 years ago

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what butt-crack man did was art

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

he was given a ban for a few months which is pretty absurd but this isnt the place to talk about that i guess

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

what butt-crack man did was art

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
one of the pics was even he own buttcrack

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

wait are dual lands really worth a few hundred? i still have my old cards from like 20 years ago

yeah, check your cards out dog, a bunch of them are worth good money. like a swords to plowshares from alpha is like 150 - 200 or so dollars and a beta is like 20 dollars less than that and that's a loving uncommon

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
iirc his ban was like 6 months and they recently banned a cheater for like 3 months so it seems p hosed up

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

NecroMonster posted:

they use special card stock with thin layers of plastic embedded in it and extremely high quality inks, it's both anti-counterfitting and simply necessary for the quality of the cards

lol man...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a bunch of Japanese promotional holographic pokemon cards, and people apparently still play that poo poo, I should see if they sell these days

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

all of the consistently high ranking "pro" players are cheaters tho.

when what cards you have access to stops being a consideration it's basically all down to luck or "skill" and there is actually very little room for "skill" in mtg so you loving cheat if you wanna make bank

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

what sets did you play in? if alpha/beta theres some money there, even the commons are a buck at least. later sets drop off really significantly except for a few expensive ones

bayou, tropical island, volcanic island, taiga, savannah, badlands, scrubland, etc those are all worth at least a 100+

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

all of the consistently high ranking "pro" players are cheaters tho.

when what cards you have access to stops being a consideration it's basically all down to luck or "skill" and there is actually very little room for "skill" in mtg so you loving cheat if you wanna make bank

naw this is wrong as hell

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what sets did you play in? if alpha/beta theres some money there, even the commons are a buck at least. later sets drop off really significantly except for a few expensive ones

bayou, tropical island, volcanic island, taiga, savannah, badlands, scrubland, etc those are all worth at least a 100+

pretty much all revised but i have a bunch of volcanic islands

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

pretty much all revised but i have a bunch of volcanic islands

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=13134

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

huh

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

naw it's actually not

it's like poker with less room to bluff (and poker already has a heck of a lot less room to bluff than people like to think it does)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
everybody double check your cards right now for plastic content. plastic and cardboard, this technology is unknown to the average chinaman so its a real good indicator of authentic cards. also stare real hard at the colors for quality

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

naw it's actually not

it's like poker with less room to bluff (and poker already has a heck of a lot less room to bluff than people like to think it does)

i do not agree

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

naw this is wrong as hell

Eh. People used to abuse language barrier rules and poo poo like that at Worlds all the time. Magic is dumb because at a certain point all you can do is try and correctly guess which one of the top 3 netdecks would be best in the meta at whichever tournament you're going to. Then you just hopefully get the right cards when you need em.

Deck A B and C. Deck A is best against deck C. Correctly guess deck C will be the most played deck. Hope you make it to top 8 and get lucky.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

naw it's actually not

i havent played in years but thats just a dumb thing to say. heartstone is way simpler than magic and that game still has tons of strategic depth

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the chinamen will just use their mystic kung fu powers to pull closely guarded industry secrets about manufacturing processes and materials out of thin air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

though i always liked limited more than constructed cuz of the prevalence of a few decks

• Locked thread