Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
He's an annoying british human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I wonder what the name of the man he has sex with is... does anyone know?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah thats why i like him

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

he is a twat, as the brits would say

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
he may be a pedantic, tiresome know-it-all, but he's a british pedantic, tiresome know-it-all, so that makes it okay?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Louis Thefaux

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Matey posted:

he is a twat, as the brits would say
wed pronounce it right too

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
John Oliver has gone full-blown SJW moron, his HBO show isn't even that funny anymore.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

John Oliver has gone full-blown SJW moron
true

My Q-Face posted:

his HBO show isn't even that funny anymore.
false

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

gently caress the ROW posted:

idk what is your mom's name?

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

gently caress the ROW posted:

it's me,

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i watch his tv all the time

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

it's about ethics in comedy journalism

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I totally hated transgender people until this shrill nebbish loser changed my mind with his humour

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
he's better than john hodgman, at least. which is kinda like saying a punch in the face is better than a kick in the balls.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
I don't like the tone of this thread but I have something to say about John Oliver so I'm going to say it here: once you really, truly realize how often he says "to be fair," it completely ruins any chance you have of enjoying his show.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't like the cadence of his delivery.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

His bit on the $10 vs. the $20 was lame, But then that whole "controversy" was stupid. Why is the $20 more "Prestigious" than the $10? Because that's what ATMs give you, so the argument is about whether a woman should be on the $10 or the $20. Except that in Europe ATMs give out all denominations of paper currency, 5s, 10s, 20s, 50s, and even 100s, so why is "It's what ATMs give you" more of a focus than "What woman should be on it"?

Then his AOL skit was like 5 minutes of repeating a joke he just loving told. Then the credits were the bloopers from his lame 5 minute sketch. :downs:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
That's like <thing> doing <something thing isn't supposed to do>. No <thing>! You can't do that.

But the real problem is ...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

he's okay i don't think he has the greatest voice. i don't watch his show but i like to watch youtube clips whenever they happen to pop up. i can't imagine listening to a full half hour of his voice.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
but seriously, i enjoy his show and his time

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

tetsuo posted:

That's like <thing> doing <something thing isn't supposed to do>. No <thing>! You can't do that.

Yeah, this, too. This plus "to be fair"

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
That jon stewart sucks as well

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My Q-Face posted:

His bit on the $10 vs. the $20 was lame, But then that whole "controversy" was stupid. Why is the $20 more "Prestigious" than the $10? Because that's what ATMs give you, so the argument is about whether a woman should be on the $10 or the $20. Except that in Europe ATMs give out all denominations of paper currency, 5s, 10s, 20s, 50s, and even 100s, so why is "It's what ATMs give you" more of a focus than "What woman should be on it"?

Then his AOL skit was like 5 minutes of repeating a joke he just loving told. Then the credits were the bloopers from his lame 5 minute sketch. :downs:

In 2014, the Federal Reserve calculated that there are 1.9 billion $10 notes in circulation, and 8.1 billion $20 notes. A fact that takes all of like 5 seconds to look up and would have made the segment a lot clearer. For another comparison, there are approximately 1.1 billion $2 notes in circulation, a bill that a lot of people don't realize exists.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
and yet it would have been equally loving retarded... really makes u think

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Upon further reflection, I don't hate John Oliver as much as the people who immediately clutter my FB feed with reposts of some dumb bit he did about inmate sexual reassignment surgery or whatever

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The really important fact about US currency is there used to be a $10,000 note with Salmon P. Chase on it, one of the funniest names in history.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Only thing that really that I find really irritating about his show is that he uses the same laugh/cheer track as the daily show and it's totally over the top and annoying.

edit:

Pick posted:

The really important fact about US currency is there used to be a $10,000 note with Salmon P. Chase on it, one of the funniest names in history.

Yeah, during the Great Depression when no one had $10,000 to spend.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

bunch of wrong rear end retards itt

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Pick posted:

In 2014, the Federal Reserve calculated that there are 1.9 billion $10 notes in circulation, and 8.1 billion $20 notes. A fact that takes all of like 5 seconds to look up and would have made the segment a lot clearer.

That's a fact that is tied 100% to the ATM thing, and a fact that can and will change when they decide to change up the bills. And having more of something is the exact opposite of being prestigious (except in Tumblr Land), and having the U.S. President most renowned for his hatred of paper money and fiat currency and federal reserve banking be on the most ubiquitous bill in existence is the most America :rock: gently caress Yeah :rock: thing ever. John Oliver does not understand America.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Louis Thefaux

nice

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

hemophilia posted:

bunch of wrong rear end retards itt

yup

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My Q-Face posted:

That's a fact that is tied 100% to the ATM thing, and a fact that can and will change when they decide to change up the bills. And having more of something is the exact opposite of being prestigious (except in Tumblr Land),

Having a commemoration seen by more people is more prestigious than a commemoration seen by fewer people. This is why big funerals are more prestigious than being hucked into a box and thrown in a storm drain.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Human rights violations and humorous juxtapositions upset me. Why isn't he talking while playing a video game?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

tetsuo posted:

That's a fact. That's a true fact. It just is.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
he's bill o reilly for liberals you loving know that right

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
lmao if u think an individual has the right to exist and that i don't have the right to murder them

nature says otherwise human being

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

cram me sideways posted:

let me know when john oliver brings people on the show just to alternate between frowning with disgust and yelling bad opinions at them

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

cram me sideways posted:

This is true. He uses researched facts to appeal to smarts, the way Bill uses dogwhistle moral panic to appeal to dumbs.

Just the opposite side of the same coin, if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

John Oliver has gone full-blown SJW moron, his HBO show isn't even that funny anymore.

He's a less edgy but still sanctimonious Bill Mahur like John Stewart and Colbert. He can be funny and insightful when picking on easy targets like Big Tobacco. He can also be funny when talking other complex targets. He is also entirely viewed as an icon because his views match his demographic's and people like hearing celebrities say stuff they already agreed with.

That's all.

• Locked thread