Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mewse posted:

But they're the crossfit company

makes perfect sense. second rate athletic wear for a second rate exercise regimen

i like conor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

Half of these Reebok Jerseys don't even have names on them for half the fighters. It's just a generic black top with Reebok patch in the corner.

Could they have hosed this up any more?

Fila?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jose Scaredface

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
[spoken as if it was a bass guitar making the sound like when someone makes a bad joke on storage wars] Baraaaaoa

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think we can all agree we want TJ Dillashaw to take out our frustrations on Renan Barao in a few weeks. That'll teach that gym.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

I cant remember ever seeing him use his takedown defense. Did brandao try to get him down maybe? Thats the only guy he faced whose any real threat with takedowns i think. To me, there's a decent chance Mendes is going to be able to get Conor down and prevent him from getting up. its a real possibility. Plus even if he can't, he just went toe to toe with Jose Aldo for five rounds. So we know neither his striking, toughness, chin or his gas are a question mark. Conor has shown fantastic striking, but we haven't seen him in that many bad situations. I think hes got a great avenue to win himself because of his power, reach and size, but I think you're just rooting for him if you think he's more likely to win the fight

there's a lot of question marks about conor's wrestling and grappling in general. i'm interested to see what mendes' strategy for getting inside is and if he's able to implement it reliably, and if he is i'm really excited to see how conor can handle it. good fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

i've been praying nonstop since dunc broke the news

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
also something i've thought about is people saying that machida doesn't have any huge punching power, but its difficult to say because he doesn't really throw any big power punches and he's knocked out plenty of dudes with his left straight

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

david carmichael posted:

he's knocked out plenty of dudes with his left straight

Has he really? I'm not a Machida hater but surely you are reaching here.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gently caress Aldo. This is what? 5 fights he's backed out of? Train smarter you rear end in a top hat.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm really sad the thread title isn't "UFC July - No Way Jose!"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

xcore posted:

yeah its fewer than i thought. he knocked out bader and rashad (who he also dropped another time), he dropped silva with a left and a jab, he hurt jones twice, he hurt couture twice, and so on. to me its similar to a situation with mayweather: people (even people who have fought him) say he has no power, but they get hit once and their output stops completely.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

MA-Horus posted:

I have a feeling the current one will become more relevant as the month goes on. They already pulled Bendo's and some other according to the last thread.

Edit: I like Gomi/Lauzon because it's probably the biggest name and action fight you can give Gomi that doesn't immediately strike me as a horror show for him. He's gonna insert coin and continue for another 2 fights imo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 1, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I saw the others like Giblert and Marcio Lyoto Machida, what was wrong with Bendo's jersey?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
he switched stances and kod bader with a right

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am seriously loving shocked that they are actually doing mendes/mcgregor because mcgregor/aldo was their big money fight and mendes is going to loving destroy mcgregor

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cams posted:

i am seriously loving shocked that they are actually doing mendes/mcgregor because mcgregor/aldo was their big money fight and mendes is going to loving destroy mcgregor

:toxx: on it? I'll bet you plat McGregor wins. I don't have any elite analysis of the fight to base this on, so take some money off an idiot!

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

If you want to say Mendes will win that's fine but to say he's going to destroy Conor without providing any insight as to why you think that way is retarded.

I think Conor will win but it's a complete toss up.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Ty1990 posted:

I think Conor will win but it's a complete toss up.

lol no it isnt

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a guy who spams dumbass kicks that never hit anything against the guy with the fastest shot in the division.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I just googled what the opening line is for the fight and it's -115 to -115 at multiple places. So yea. Tossup.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a guy who spams dumbass kicks that never hit anything against the guy with the fastest shot in the division.

-me at the local video arcade in 2002, in line for the Capcom vs SNK 2 machine, acknowledging that I'm throwing away a quarter

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

cams posted:

You know it isn't that long ago where dudes were given title shots off of losses.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

xcore posted:

He wobbled Franklin with that left straight and then finished him with a headkick/hook combo. Looking back it's probably the hardest punch he's ever thrown.

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo

MA-Horus posted:

Total Reecall is too good of a name to pass up I'm sorry.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think they gave it to Mendes instead of Frankie because of the "two division champion" narrative - if Frankie gets another shot at 45, they'll want it to be free of any *

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I seriously can't believe they are risking Conor losing to Chad either. As I said before, this isn't a UFC 151 deal. This card would have survived without Conor and Aldo. Also, there is a card that seemingly times up right with when Aldo would be recovered on Labor Day weekend in Vegas that they could have moved the fight to. As Atom said, it's not hard to imagine Conor would get a shot at Aldo not long after a loss to Chad, but the fight wouldn't be nearly as big IMO.

Of course, possibly Conor is such a draw at this point that the UFC just didn't want to take him off the card.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Probably has more to do with how Frankie isn't liked by anyone other than fatherdog and couldn't win a fight convincingly unless it's against Aloe Vera

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You'll get to find out if the hype is real soon enough.

Memento posted:

:toxx: on it? I'll bet you plat McGregor wins. I don't have any elite analysis of the fight to base this on, so take some money off an idiot!

I'd bet archives.

My slick calculations got as far as "dang that was a big ol' lump on Hominick's haid."

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 1, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

I think they gave it to Mendes instead of Frankie because of the "two division champion" narrative - if Frankie gets another shot at 45, they'll want it to be free of any *

They're only not giving Frankie the shot because there is a close to zero chance that conor beats Frankie

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Probably has more to do with how Frankie isn't liked by anyone other than fatherdog and couldn't win a fight convincingly unless it's against Aloe Vera

I think Frankie is a tougher matchup for Conor than Chad and also owns.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

Cub could have sat out for a title shot you stupid rear end in a top hat

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

-Atom- posted:

The gently caress is this

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
It's a combination of Chad Mendes having the better performance recently and he also challenged for the belt last. Only a few of us dorks follow the sport, most people don't at all except when it comes time for big cards like this and if you were to look at Jose Aldo current featherweight champion you would see his last opponent was Chad Mendes.

The good news is Chad Mendes owns and would have already been a champion if it weren't for Aldo, so now he gets a chance to become one until Aldo retires or dies from rib injuries or whatever happens.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I think Mendez will win with his wrestling but he'll be in danger of getting caught the whole fight.

I think Aldo was a much better matchup for Conor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was excited to see Whacking Day, but I'll settle for what I hope is the greatest lay-and-pray since Koscheck-Daley complete with Conor throwing a late hit and getting cut.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Scrapez posted:

I think Mendez will win with his wrestling but he'll be in danger of getting caught the whole fight.

I think Aldo was a much better matchup for Conor.

The bookies and everyone else disagrees and that's with Mendes on no camp

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

The bookies and everyone else disagrees and that's with Mendes on no camp
Couldn't the bookies have moved the line and put Conor as a favourite once enough idiots believed the hype? He had a non-zero chance of winning, however small, so they had to move the odds to avoid a bloodbath no matter how unrealistic.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

I was excited to see Whacking Day, but I'll settle for what I hope is the greatest lay-and-pray since Koscheck-Daley complete with Conor throwing a late hit and getting cut.

LMAO :D the funniest outcome :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Couldn't the bookies have moved the line and put Conor as a favourite once enough idiots believed the hype? He had a non-zero chance of winning, however small, so they had to move the odds to avoid a bloodbath no matter how unrealistic.

Go to the gambling thread and look at msffews post

• Locked thread