Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I remember when Chris Weidman was all hype and had never beaten anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skip My Posts posted:

LMAO :D the funniest outcome :D
You're right; Mendes doesn't have the acquired sociopathy to talk poo poo the entire time like Koscheck did :(

I was at that fight and probably the only one in the arena who was laughing.

Ty1990 posted:

if you think this is at all the same i dunno how to explain martial arts to you

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

if you think this is at all the same i dunno how to explain martial arts to you

What have you seen from Conor in his 5 UFC fights that suggests he's not on the same level as Chad Mendes?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

Weird, because I remember an All-American wrestler stifling one of the best BJJ players in MMA history.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ty1990 posted:

What have you seen from Conor in his 5 UFC fights that suggests he's not on the same level as Chad Mendes?

His best win is max holloway years ago.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Here is what is going to happen:
Chad wins vs Conor
Chad loses vs Aldo
Conor wins vs ranked 5-10 fighter

Aldo vs Conor happens at UFC 200.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

This is sort of my point though. All people can do is point out what a giant leap Conor is taking going from the middle of the pack of 145 straight up to Jose Aldo. Every great fighter had to take that leap at some point. From Frankie Edgar going from Matt Veach to BJ Penn and Weidman going from Munoz/Maia to Anderson. I don't buy the "he hasn't fought anybody" argument. If Conor was getting taken to deep waters by these gatekeepers then I would be on board with it, but he's destroyed every single guy that has been put in front of him like any elite fighter would. And that's what I'm saying; Conor McGregor is indeed an elite Featherweight.

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 1, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

mendes best win is ricardo lamas

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

and conor's best win is porier, a top 5 featherweight who he knocked out in 90 seconds

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Yeah it's pretty impressive that Mendes brutally hosed him up in the first round.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
So mcgregor is going to lose to Mendes instead of Aldo, ok

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

I would love to see conor do what he did to lamas

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Silver lining: Cole Miller vs Mcgregor can finally happen after mendes beats the crap out of him

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

If Conor beats Mendes it's gonna be pretty funny in here watching you all say it was because Chad took the fight on short notice.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Ty1990 posted:

If Conor beats Mendes it's gonna be pretty funny in here watching you all say it was because Chad took the fight on short notice.

Not going to happen

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Not going to happen
Again, I'm just asking somebody to give me a reason why Conor is so overmatched here besides LOL Dennis Siver. I think Chad is an amazing fighter and has a good chance to win, but I'm not seeing the mismatch everybody else is.

Anyway, it's almost 2AM over here on the East Coast. I'll be back tomorrow.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

Who all? The Conor haters? Are there any?

edit: If MCGregor clowns Mendes or even edges him then the Aldo fight is even more interesting. Who doesn't want a better eventual main event?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Ty1990 posted:

Again, I'm just asking somebody to give me a reason why Conor is so overmatched here besides LOL Dennis Siver. I think Chad is an amazing fighter and has a good chance to win, but I'm not seeing the mismatch everybody else is.

Anyway, it's almost 2AM over here on the East Coast. I'll be back tomorrow.

All signs point to conor mcgregor not having very good defensive wrestling

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
The thing is Urijah Faber set the atmosphere at Team Alpha Male to always be training. And to always have your shirt off and dougieing too. But Chad & the rest never fully get out of camp. He might not be as dialed in on Conor's moves by the night of the fight but he's going to be in shape, wrestling on point and mentally prepared to beat the poo poo out of someone.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

All signs point to conor mcgregor not having very good defensive wrestling

which signs are those, Lord Waffle Beard?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

His bosses, who absolutely want him to fight Aldo, circumnavigated an entire division of wrestlers to get him there

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

not sure that logic checks out tbh

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The argument that Conor McGregor is not a really good fighter is loving absurd. Can he beat Jose Aldo? I have no idea, but he has destroyed everyone he's faced in the last couple years and looked good in every fight. I'd like to see him grapple, but aside from that, maybe he is a bit overhyped, but I don't think he's been too obscenely overhyped.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, I mean there hasn't really been any good evidence of him having bad wrestling. But he also hasn't fought any great wrestlers so acting like he has this in the bag is stupid.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Lid posted:

The gently caress is this

the truth

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

UFC deliberately setting him up with strikers and avoiding anyone with a semblance of a wrestling background and hes a european guy that's been submitted twice and still trains in europe, going against the second best MMA wrestler in the featherweight division.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

UFC deliberately setting him up with strikers and avoiding anyone with a semblance of a wrestling background and hes a european guy that's been submitted twice and still trains in europe, going against the second best MMA wrestler in the featherweight division.

joe silva not matching him up with wrestlers and being from ireland are incredibly stupid reasons

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

joe silva not matching him up with wrestlers and being from ireland are incredibly stupid reasons

Chad mendes is a better wrestler than conor mcgregors wresting coach

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I guess there are a few reasons I'd favor Mendes:

1. If you give me a fairly even fight between a wrestler and striker, I'm taking the wrestler. It's easier to land takedowns than K.O. blows and the threat of taking a guy down neutralizes his stroking and opens up yours.

2. Mendes has bested good fighters and accounted himself well against Aldo who is one of the best p4p.

3. Conor is unproven. Yes I understand he has destroyed the guys he's faced but they are lesser fighters than Mendes/Aldo.

4. Mendes has been in title fights with the pressure that accompanies that.

5. We know Mendes has a good gas tank. Conor's is unknown. If he gets tired will he collapse mentally?

I'm in no way saying Conor can't win. I'm just saying my money is on Mendes because I think it's more likely he wins.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

and hes also a better wrestler than conor mcgregor

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

not sure that logic checks out tbh

Cmon son. Dennis siver for the shot

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

and no they arent

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

his coach is an olympian so nope

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Conor is one of few fighters where I was hearing that he was amazing and a future champion almost before I had seen him fight. This isnt something you see all the time. Others where I can look back and see that kind of hype are are jones, velasquez and weidman (interestingly rory, on the same card, is another). So on some level it seems like the behind the scenes hype the mma community has for high-potential fighters is incredibly effective at picking out who the truely exceptional fighters are. Personally I feel like my own instincts for amazing fighters is decent, as from the beginning I always felt that phil davis was vastly inferior to jones, and that the winner of johnny hendricks vs mike pierce would be the guy to beat gsp. There is, however one main distinction between all those fighters and conor and that's wrestling. My gut feeling is that conor will beat aldo or mendes, alhough I have no solid reasoning for why, only vaguely iffy stuff. Aldo is amazing but I look at the difficulty he had with hominick and I think he'll lose. I look at mendes and i see the difficulty he had maintaining the composure he had obviously been taught in camp against aldo ii and I see a guy who'll lose. Without any clue what conor's wrestling is like, how can you know how he'll do when someone starts throwing him around? I have to say though, whatever my idiot brain is basing it's opinions on, it thinks conor will win.

I remember one of my first posts on these forums was about how, before Edgar vs Penn 1, Edgar was one of the best fighters in the world and how heavyweights sucked. Fatherdog said my post was good and David Carmichael made fun of me for Implying matt veach wasn't a garbage man. I guess what I'm saying is that, win or lose, conor is good and heavyweights are bad.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I hope Conor insanely kicks the rear end off of Mendes because otherwise some poor guy has to go to Nova Uniao, the third floor gym with an ever present threat of falling out of a window, as the Negative Six Million Dollar Man

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'd like to see Conor win and have his insane hype train roll on, but seeing him lose would be somewhat useful, in that it would seal Aldo's fate as being the dumbass who blew his one and only chance to ever cash in on a massive PPV bonus and become rich as an un-heralded fighter who the masses don't care about.

When you are facing the kind of payday he was with a telegenic guy who is unproven, then gently caress your title. Seriously, gently caress it, it is not extremely important to defend your championship, you really need to place an ultra-premium on not getting hurt and making the walk. If you insist on training hard for the fight and risking an injury, then at least close your training sessions to the media and make sure your guys wont leak any injuries.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Nope

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I haven't seen anyone say Conor is bad, only that they think Mendes will win.

I think Conor is really good and maybe a future champion depending on his wrestling, gas tank and who he eventually gets matched up with for a shot.

I'm just basing my pick off known things about both fighters and trying to make a logical decision. That doesn't mean Conor won't come out and knock Mendes out in 30 seconds.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dangersim posted:

US Olympic Wrestling Medals - 125
Irish Olympic Wrestling Medals - 2*

*Actually wrestled for Great Britain in the 1908 Olympics.

Dangersim posted:

Yeah, a Moldovan Olympian. All-American, best wrestler in his conference vs. Moldovan Olympian who made the Olympics representing a country of 3 million fake rear end Romanians? Tough choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MagicCube posted:

Yeah, a Moldovan Olympian. All-American, best wrestler in his conference vs. Moldovan Olympian who did what? Tough choice.

is this a joke?

• Locked thread