Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dangersim posted:

is this a joke?

No this is a joke:

Did you hear about the Moldovan who wore two jackets when she painted the house?

The instructions on the can said: "Put on two coats."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I dont even think Sergey Pikulskiy was an olympic wrestler at all

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I dont even think Sergey Pikulskiy was an olympic wrestler at all

Oh wait haha, he was never actually in the Olympics. He just trained with the national team. drat, I guess that makes GSP an Olympian too.

Here is Conor's wrestling coach showing his Olympic credentials: https://ie.linkedin.com/pub/sergey-pikulskiy/30/264/962

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
well then I was mistaken, but if you don't realize that being a veteran wrestler from eastern europe is pretty solid I don't know what to tell you

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

anyway conor mcgregor is going to win

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I didn't realize Aldo was out for sure. I'm a huge Chad fan ever since he was beating the poo poo out of cub Swanson, then taking him down at will and doing nothing with it. I definitely feel like the guy who blatantly couldn't keep his game plan together for more than 90 seconds against Aldo may have trouble against a guy with like a 9 inch reach advantage who draws you into brawling but isn't actually brawling.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I hope Conor insanely kicks the rear end off of Mendes because otherwise some poor guy has to go to Nova Uniao, the third floor gym with an ever present threat of falling out of a window, as the Negative Six Million Dollar Man

Aldo vs McGregor is going to happen at some point, even possibly this year, and it will draw big no matter what. Same way how Nick Diaz hosed up badly against Condit for the interim belt and yet when he fought GSP anyways a year later the PPV still did one of St. Pierre's highest buyrates. Cause people love a good rivalry and until it's been settled between the two fighters the other poo poo doesn't matter.

Chad Mendes could become interim champ and then UFC schedules Aldo vs McGregor because "Aldo has never been so disrespected in his entire life!" and then Johny Edgar Hendricks sits on the sidelines for a year despite being the top contender.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Mendes can probably outwrestle anyone in the division that's not Aldo or Frankie, he also trains in a camp with some of the best midget wrestlers in MMA.

I think it's safe to say that the quality of guys that Conor rolls with is a lot worse than what Mendes has to work with.

With his reach it might not matter though.

Also to the guy thinking that Aldo was gonna lose because Hominick won a round off him 3 years ago, Mark Hominick was actually kind of good and then fell to pieces when Shawn Tomkins died.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Chad mendes reminds me of gray Maynard as a really good fighter with really good wrestling that i like a lot and that I look at and can only see them getting brutally owned repeatedly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

TastyAvocado posted:

I didn't realize Aldo was out for sure. I'm a huge Chad fan ever since he was beating the poo poo out of cub Swanson, then taking him down at will and doing nothing with it. I definitely feel like the guy who blatantly couldn't keep his game plan together for more than 90 seconds against Aldo may have trouble against a guy with like a 9 inch reach advantage who draws you into brawling but isn't actually brawling.

Yeah I agree, Mendes has the tools to beat anybody but until we see him in a 5 rounder again I'm not sure he has the discipline to keep his head and feet moving halfway into any given round.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

1st AD posted:

Yeah I agree, Mendes has the tools to beat anybody but until we see him in a 5 rounder again I'm not sure he has the discipline to keep his head and feet moving halfway into any given round.

Chad will start out trying to fight like tj, exactly like he did with Aldo, then conor will throw some dumb hook kick and Chad will launch himself forward like a mini bader and get knocked out: my prediction.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Dangersim posted:

well then I was mistaken, but if you don't realize that being a veteran wrestler from eastern europe is pretty solid I don't know what to tell you

The argument wasn't that his wrestling coach is not a solid wrestler, the argument was that Chad Mendes is a better wrestler than his wrestling coach, which is very likely true.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

well I bet anderson silva is a better striker then ray longo

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

well I bet anderson silva is a better striker then ray longo

Thats a stupid comparison

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If chad mendes wins, it will be very cool and good, as it will require an impressive combination of striking and grappling, combining the two with finesse, using the threat of a takedown to maximize his own efforts standing and preventing conor from confidently using his own abilities. If he's successful I could even see him making conor look stupid, hands held low, scared of the takedown and taking big shots standing and still ineffectively defending the shots.

If conor wins it will also be good, as Chad attempts to swing his arms like this and if you get hit it's your owwwwwwn fault.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

TastyAvocado posted:

Conor is one of few fighters where I was hearing that he was amazing and a future champion almost before I had seen him fight. This isnt something you see all the time. Others where I can look back and see that kind of hype are are jones, velasquez and weidman (interestingly rory, on the same card, is another). So on some level it seems like the behind the scenes hype the mma community has for high-potential fighters is incredibly effective at picking out who the truely exceptional fighters are. Personally I feel like my own instincts for amazing fighters is decent, as from the beginning I always felt that phil davis was vastly inferior to jones, and that the winner of johnny hendricks vs mike pierce would be the guy to beat gsp. There is, however one main distinction between all those fighters and conor and that's wrestling. My gut feeling is that conor will beat aldo or mendes, alhough I have no solid reasoning for why, only vaguely iffy stuff. Aldo is amazing but I look at the difficulty he had with hominick and I think he'll lose. I look at mendes and i see the difficulty he had maintaining the composure he had obviously been taught in camp against aldo ii and I see a guy who'll lose. Without any clue what conor's wrestling is like, how can you know how he'll do when someone starts throwing him around? I have to say though, whatever my idiot brain is basing it's opinions on, it thinks conor will win.

I remember one of my first posts on these forums was about how, before Edgar vs Penn 1, Edgar was one of the best fighters in the world and how heavyweights sucked. Fatherdog said my post was good and David Carmichael made fun of me for Implying matt veach wasn't a garbage man. I guess what I'm saying is that, win or lose, conor is good and heavyweights are bad.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I think conor mcgregor will win because i think im some kind of retarded savant when it comes to predicting mma, annd uh thats the only reason. thanks for listening

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

MA-Horus posted:

I'm really sad the thread title isn't "UFC July - No Way Jose!"

UFC July: Where's Aldo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cuckoo posted:

Make this the GDT title Tia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cuckoo posted:

I don't get it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Memento posted:

I don't get it.

if you're non-American it's Wally.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lid posted:

if you're non-American it's Wally.

I googled it and yeah, it asked me if I meant "Where's Waldo"

What sort of name Waldo is, I don't know.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
UFC returns to Dublin October 24th

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
hmmmmmmm...

was Chad Mendes paid to take a dive against Conor McGregor???

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Cuckoo posted:

1st AD posted:

Make this the GDT title Tia

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rovert posted:

UFC returns to Dublin October 24th

Surprised there's not a picure of Princess Diana looking down on him.

I'm in the "Conor's getting wrestled and 50-45'd camp" and Dana is going to have the sourest face of all time when he's putting the interim title belt on Chad.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Conor is going to win, or maybe lose.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

how the gently caress do you know

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
There's going to be kicks and punches and grappling. I'm really confident in that. Put it in the bank and bet the house.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
No contest in the first 5 seconds via accidental illegal knee

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Mendes gets taken out by a chair. Joseph Duffy charges in.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Cuckoo posted:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Really sad I didn't nab a Giblert Melendez shirt.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

And just like that I am now a fan of Angela Magana (it might help that I skipped most of TUF 20).

She is absolutely trolling here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Conor KOing chad too early would be the worst, because then he'd have fought a great wrestler but still not have 'proven' himself. Hopefully he KOs him end of RD 1 or early Rd 2

e: Remember that kid from the Dublin press conference during the world tour, clearly Conor's protégé

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 1, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Conor's in trouble if the kid can wrestle

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor will win and talk poo poo about Jose being a coward until they fight and he wins again

Hype train all aboard

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm sad Jose won't get his revenge for all the talking, I'm sad the fights not happening in general and im sad Connors going to get wiped out by a wrestler.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Chad is going to win and then they will have the unification bout in Dublin just to gently caress with the entire country for once sending out immigrants that eventually produced Marcus Davis.

I won't say it's a guarantee that Mendes can blanket Conor, but the only people he hasn't taken down are guys he brutally knocked out and Jose Aldo, holder of the best takedown defense since prime BJ Penn. This fight is probably going to come down to McGregor's ability to get back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some people always see a silver lining

• Locked thread