Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fatherdog posted:

This is going to be terrible for the fighters but at this point I just can't stop laughing at how completely a multi-billion dollar sports apparel company managed to gently caress this up.
Everyone at Nike must be so hard right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bean Fried posted:

And just like that I am now a fan of Angela Magana (it might help that I skipped most of TUF 20).

She is absolutely trolling here.

Would be great if she asked for an ñ in her name and they couldn't do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are the Reebok tops really required in the cage? Can that really be the case?
Just imagine missing out on the freak spectacle of Vitor's entire musculature lifting Hendo off the ground on Phantom Cam.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Phew. I thought I read that in the last thread. Must have been a fever dream. I guess it wouldn't even work unless it was rashguard tight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FishBowlRobot posted:

Not to get away from the important topic at hand but could someone educate me, as a relatively new and somewhat casual fan, on how a fighter like Chad can effectively deal with the huge reach advantage a talented striker like Conor has? I have Fight Pass, so if anyone has some examples of similar matchups that'd be cool to see.

How it plays out depends on more attributes than just the reach difference. If the shorter-reaching fighter is also the slower fighter, he's gonna have a hell of a bad time. There's a reason why there's such a correlation between above-average reach and fighter success. If the shorter fighter is as fast or faster, he can use pressure to close the distance and stay at a distance where his punches are more effective. He needs to have enough different entries and timings so that he doesn't get figured out and caught.
Look at RDS vs Pettis and Melendez vs Pettis. Both guys fighting Pettis were having tons of success smothering and stifling Pettis. In Melendez's case, he got caught while executing his formula.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FishBowlRobot posted:

Thanks for the fight suggestions. The most recent short punchy wrestler vs tall reachy guy fight I could think of was Jones vs Cormier. I've seen Pettis vs Melendez, but who is RDS? Is that supposed to be RDA instead?
Oopsie, yeah, RDA. I somehow went anjoS in my head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

To that person that said Mendes is an incredible athlete, yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWJ6znk8fYk

Special guest reveal owns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Does floss mean something I'm not aware of.

It means to show off your wealth. http://genius.com/2pac-to-live-and-die-in-la-lyrics#note-3117

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

- Her Judo coach dropped her when she said she wanted to do MMA. Her mom told her that MMA was the dumbest loving idea she'd ever heard because there are no women in the UFC. With hindsight these people look foolish, but she was wading into a sea of uncertainty without any money to do it.
This was Little Jimmy Pedro. When I was looking to find an alternative to kickboxing, some people had said the Pedro school in Wakefield, MA was world-class judo. While I don't doubt it, everything I read in the book makes me think I would never be welcome there as a filthy casual.

quote:

- She's pretty bitter about TUF. Tate and Caraway would instigate constantly, then Dana had both sides into his office to say "stop doing pranks" but they'd still be petty. She says they targeted Edmond specifically because they knew he was the most valuable coach on the team. She had a heartfelt speech to her team after their first loss that lit a fire under them and the show didn't air it, opting for a hot tub scene at the fighter house.
The hot tub scene was an example of the kinds of things that the production company, Pilgrim, wanted for the show. She wasn't saying it was specifically what the editors put over the speech. But good writing on Maria's part.

quote:

e: Oh and she explains that UFC were bringing her in from Strikeforce, there were constant contract fuckups so Dana would be flying her to events in the UFC private jet to announce her as a UFC champion, and then there'd be another contract snag so people were like "why are you around Dana all the time" and the rumours about them banging started.
Her manager didn't flat out shoot that rumor down to Scott Coker when Coker asked him about it at a business meeting, which was the last straw with that manager. She doesn't make it clear in the book who her current management is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What was Pendred's walk-out song? I swear there was a bit from Slough Feg's version of Dearg Doom in there. Couldn't hear it that well on the PPV.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

head kicks seem like they break through people's guards all the time.

If you don't brace your arm enough, the leg is gonna keep moving in. It's also just hard to do a straight up block to a hard kick. It's easier to, as fdog said, to be moving away from the kick.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cisneros posted:

Isn't his podcast called the fighter and the kid? what's the point of having him if he retires.

Is the other guy a literal kid?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does anyone have a gif of the other roll Ferguson did?

Wamsutta posted:

Actually the other guy is 48 year old Bryan Callen (who is pretty fuckin funny imo)

:thejoke:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ditch posted:

Yet TAM has a solid reputation for being clean and getting there through non-stop hard work and living in a place that makes it easier to stay in shape.

I've never heard TAM have anything other than a non-reputation as far as juicing? In the same way that I've not heard anything damning or accusatory about AKA or Jackson's.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

yikesss

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Enhanced audio of Cerrone talking to Shields, sounds like"I'll definitely shake you if, fuckin, youre gonna take me down"

https://soundcloud.com/mmafanaticism/cerrone

No matter where I start it, it still sounds like the n-word.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Memento posted:

Was that all of that knee locking/hyperextension that kickboxers seem to love?
A lot of it is the massive amount of kicking he did, but it was exacerbated by his kick technique, where he'd plant his support foot at 45deg from his target and torqued his body against his planted foot through the kick. A normal kick has the foot rotating on the ball of the foot to avoid stressing the knee this way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

attackmole posted:

Don't lots of people kick that way? Gives you more power.

Not with that kind of commitment to keeping the support foot fully planted. Plenty of people step out to the side or start with their foot oblique to the target, but few use the base leg like Bas did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The thing that bugs me about this is that her torso is twisted away from the throw, right?
In the real life picture, she's throwing from opposite stance, but her torso is the same way.

• Locked thread