Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
What is Guild Ball?

Guild Ball is a small skirmish game from a U.K based company, the game usually uses 6 models per team and you take turns to activate one model. The goal is to score victory points by smashing opponents into the ground scoring goals. The first player to 12 victory points wins.

What is the story behind Guild Ball?

quote:

Mob football is a game generally played between neighboring towns and villages on feast days (hence the popularity). Players on opposing teams clash to control a leather-wrapped inflated pig's bladder and attempt to kick it into the opponent’s goal. Over the years, rudimentary leagues and tournaments have sprung up; there have even been some national level games between some city states.

The powerful Guilds of the land have taken advantage of the huge popularity of the sport as another means to control the masses. They invested vast sums of money; creating professional Guild sponsored teams and structured leagues. The public went crazy as the game was elevated to new heights of spectacle. Guild Ball was born amidst a blaze of interest and publicity and with it, a whole new business and revenue stream for the Guilds. Games are now played out in front of vast crowds of fans, whilst behind the scenes the results can mean fortunes are won or lost on the kick of a ball

How does the game feel?

You could think of it as a cross between Malifaux, Warmachine and Soccer. The game itself is played on 3 foot square board. Each team generates a set amount of influence, this influence is then allocated between members of the team. Depending on how much influence you have given a character decides the amount of actions it can do. These actions can generate momentum points, you need momentum points to score goals, boost dice rolls or heal players.

This game was tested by top U.K Warmachine and Hordes players and it has quickly soared to popularity through out the community making appearances at various tournaments and events.

What are the different Teams/Guilds?

At this point in time there are 8 teams you can field, Alchemists, Fisherman, Butchers, Brewers, Morticians, Engineers, Masons and the Union. Some of the Union members will work for the teams specified on their cards. Every team has it's own unique play style.

Alchemists

Alchemists debuff and set alight opposing teams, they have abilities to ignore special rules as well as steal abilities from their opposition. They are not made of glass but you certainly don't want them in melee for too long.

Fisherman

FIsherman are the world champions at this sport, they can easily build momentum with nimble sidesteps and dodges. If they are caught up in a fight don't expect them to stay alive at all.

Butchers

Butchers are the team that hit the hardest. They want to play a violent game and maim as many as possible. They increase each others attack and damage and hope to score by knocking others out.

Brewers

Brewers are drunkards that play the possession game, they knock over opponents and keep the ball to themselves. They are not too bad in close quarters with their tough hides but they are easy to hit.

Morticans

Morticians are the Goths and Emos. They manipulate the most important resource in the game, momentum. One of their team members can get rid of an enemy for good while another cuts herself to go full rage mode and increase her attack bonus.

Engineers

Engineers seem to do the bigger actions in the game without spending a lot of resources. They can mitigate the harder blows they suffer.

Masons

Jack of all trades, master of none.

The Union

The Union members are specifically designed to add extra options to the previous teams, think of them like mercenaries.

I'm thinking of getting into the game but I am not sure about it. What can I do ?

You are in luck, the rule book is free along with every card for the characters. They even give you paper dolls to print out ! You can find all this at http://guildball.com/#downloads

While you are in this part of the world wide web I would highly recommend checking in on their forum page, it lists events from around the world but mainly the United States and the United Kingdom. You can also stare in awe at the goals people have made.

With it being a relatively new game it never hurts to look over the rule clarifications either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
An interesting podcast with the makers of guild ball. Fun and informative.

Worth checking out.

http://museonminis.com/guild-ball-what-is-guild-ball-interview-with-designers/

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Was hoping someone would post about this.

Picked up a starter army with my buddy after we got a demo from the creators at Northcon.

Almost finished painting up my Masons -

Love how close to Warmachine it is, while having a different flavour. The Playbook mechanic is really flexible and avoids massive damage spikes from dice while providing tons of tactical flexibility with the momentum system, and pre-measuring makes everything super chill.

Also full rules book, cards and paper dolls for the minis being available online is awesome. Also you can have a whole faction for £60, starters are £20. And some of the top UK Warmachine players are working on getting the competitive system put together super tightly.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
I was surprised to see the amount of interest it got at Northcon, with Northcon being a Warmachine and Hordes event and that. I do love it as a little extra game on the side. It really is innovative. The couple games I had at Northcon and at my local meta with my Alchemists has made me fall in love with the game. I find it incredibly smooth in casual play and can see me feeling the same way about competitive events.

ElephantCrave fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gotta say, putting the rules and paper dolls up for free is incredibly awesome. I may even be able to convince someone to play with me with a buy in of $0. :unsmith:

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
Guildball has really taken off at my local games club- not surprising as it's primarily a Warmachine/Hordes club and a lot of the mechanics are similar. As the buy in cost is pretty cheap (you can actually download the rules and 3d miniature proxies for free) it's very easy to start up. I'd definitely recommend people to give it a go as you'd be surprised at how quickly you get into it.

Protip: fishermen get smashed pretty bloody quick

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This looks really interesting. I may pick it up and take it to the LGS. They have a big Warmahordes night on Tuesdays.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

It's a great game, and it shows how it has been inspired from Warmahordes. And it is great as a cheap, fast, small gaming space game.

I had so far got a friend into the game, and some guys at work are interested too.

My two teams (which are now full teams that need their new minis painted) are Alchemists and Morticians.

I am in the process of painting up a GW grave yard, as I wanted some themed terrain for Guild Ball.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I quite like the minis for both the Fishermen and the Brewers, but I don't have the energy to try promoting a local game scene.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Following up on the last post, as a house warming present I got given Flask and Katalyst for the Alchemists. So I then also picked up Mist, so that a) I had a complete team for the Alchemists (Mist and Vitriol are similar) and b) Mist can be a alternate team member for my Mortician teams.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
The good thing about guildball is the normal problem of wanting to start a new army because it looks pretty isn't a big issue. Once you've painted up 6-7 minis the team is done! It's almost impossible to have piles of unpainted minis hanging around anymore

[looks forlornly at an unopened Skorne battlebox]

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

eskimaux posted:

The good thing about guildball is the normal problem of wanting to start a new army because it looks pretty isn't a big issue. Once you've painted up 6-7 minis the team is done! It's almost impossible to have piles of unpainted minis hanging around anymore

[looks forlornly at an unopened Skorne battlebox]

Pretty much. The new models I do have will be painted as one big batch.

You poor bastard. Getting entire armies painted is a chore, but sometimes it just needs shortcuts for painting to be spotted. But Guild Ball really is a nice chance to focus on a few models, and go beyond tabletop standard (admittedly mine are not to the level of my Rackham stuff - I have the rest of my Cygnar to paint as well so I can continue on that project).

Gameplay wise I really do love Guild Ball.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
The thing I really love about it is that it's a complex game without being complex. Something like malifaux (similar number of minis) has loads of special rules for each model and everything is very individualised. With GB the minis have maybe a couple of special rules, which come from a pool of special rules that all the models use. So if you have a basic grasp of the game you can pick up and play without needing to figure out synergies and activation orders really beforehand.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hmm, I noticed a reference in one of the Union mercs as working for the "Hunters" - do we know anything else about this team? I assume they're either upcoming or got cut at some point.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Looks like the Hunters are confirmed for Season 2. Definitely going to wait for them before I buy in.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Corbeau posted:

Hmm, I noticed a reference in one of the Union mercs as working for the "Hunters" - do we know anything else about this team? I assume they're either upcoming or got cut at some point.

A little birdie tells me they follow a similar style to that of Indiana Jones

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Read the rules, going to play a few demo games with the paper minis. Everything looks really promising so far. Any factions that are underperforming right now to avoid?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey you're not Blood Bowl!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SynthOrange posted:

Hey you're not Blood Bowl!

I really appreciate not having to stop and reset the entire board each time a score is made.

It makes you want to keep a guy back to intercept the usual counter play and just deny them points further.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Are there league rules, or an rpg aspect like bloodbowl had? I didn't see anything in my cursory look at this, but that is what was the most fun about any "sports" mini game imo, is the ongoing aspect. I fear this isn't a thing here as the characters are all named and have fairly specialized abilities, would be hard to add to them.

Game looks nice, but I am wondering about it's staying power before I dive in.

Two Headed Boy
Jun 28, 2006
Official product of the millenium experience
I love the game to pieces, I've got the Fishermen and Morticians teams, and have played against my brother, who has a Butchers team.

My only issue with the system is that the designers have no idea about how to use apostrophes, and whoever proofread it didn't either.

i.e. Mason's team, Mortician's team.

The same thing happened for the indigogo campaign they did for the play mat (which was lovely), each email I got was about how the mat's are in production.

Admittedly, a small problem that bothers me more than it should, as the game is loads of fun!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Mr.Booger posted:

Are there league rules, or an rpg aspect like bloodbowl had? I didn't see anything in my cursory look at this, but that is what was the most fun about any "sports" mini game imo, is the ongoing aspect. I fear this isn't a thing here as the characters are all named and have fairly specialized abilities, would be hard to add to them.

Game looks nice, but I am wondering about it's staying power before I dive in.

There is none of that an in my opinion the game is stronger for it. Bloodbowl leagues often died in my experiences due to some teams taking early deaths they couldn't recover from ir over powered players running amok.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got to watch a couple of games yesterday. This looks like a pretty interesting game, with a lot of movement and positioning. A little sad, since punchy teams tend to just take damage playbook results rather than stuff that causes more interesting movement, but the fishermen are pretty neat.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
For those interested in an US distributor of guildball , I found one at http://museonstore.com/collections/guild-ball

Ordered Engineers and they came really quick in the mail than what I would have expected waiting for the models to ship in from the UK

Concerning the models themselves, I super appreciate the fact they made the robot legs on the Colossus exactly the same to prevent having to look up which leg is front right or which is rear left, etc.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I look at this game and the first thing that comes to mind is an Ankh-Morpork City Watch team. Tempting.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

I look at this game and the first thing that comes to mind is an Ankh-Morpork City Watch team. Tempting.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Loxbourne posted:

Not sure how you would pull that off as the game is closer to something like Warmachine than Bloodbowl, in that teams have distinct characters with models representing them. I guess the Masons team looks closest to a Watch team with their armour and they even have an ape as a player

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Not sure how you would pull that off as the game is closer to something like Warmachine than Bloodbowl, in that teams have distinct characters with models representing them. I guess the Masons team looks closest to a Watch team with their armour and they even have an ape as a player

Select a team to represent your chosen reskin, make your own cards with your own art but using the correct playbooks and plays, use minis that are appropriately distinct and cool, make sure your opponent knows who's who before playing? The only downside I can see is that it probably wouldn't be tournament legit.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Definitely not tournament legal

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Did anyone play this at Warmachine Weekend?

It seemed to have a good show from the pictures, and I was wondering how it went.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Well I think most of the City Watch is in the MAS Discworld minis line, at least enough to make a Guildball team.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I ended up ordering all the fishermen and bought the brewers starter for this after 1 demo game. I think i have a problem.

This weekend we had our first local tourney for GB, which was great fun. Takeaway for the day: Engineers ranged knockdown BS is annoying, especially if you have no momentum.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
You're not by any chance from Edmonton are you?

There was a big tournament here last weekend and it'd be a cool coincidence if it was the same one.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just bought the Alchemists with Mist and Hemlocke.

I am pretty excited about this game. Any fellow alchemist players got advice for me or know of a guide?

(We also have a decent bunch of players in Central IL, PM me if you want to join us on Wed Night)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 24, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
We have been playing it quite a bit recently, I really enjoy my Fishmans so far. My favorite is Jac, as his various push shenanigans disprupt the plans of beater teams so well.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

MrSquarepants posted:

You're not by any chance from Edmonton are you?

Western Australia.

"dexefiend" posted:

I just bought the Alchemists with Mist and Hemlocke.

Mist is insane, and just dominates with the 4" dodge, 8" move, then another 8" kick. Add to that his smoke bomb to make him start his advance in cover, you can get a full 22" of goal kicking threat i think.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How does this super long kick from Vitriol work?

She starts in cover with the ball and 4 influence.

Charges 11", with 2" reach, and gets either 2 or 5 hits, for pushes or dodges. This also gets you one momentum. This is 12 or 13 inches of movement. Now you spend an influence and a momentum to take a shot from up to 8"? 20 to 21 inches of threat?

(I am double checking the rules now. I have only played twice. )

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 24, 2015

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Did anyone play this at Warmachine Weekend?

It seemed to have a good show from the pictures, and I was wondering how it went.

Friend and I played in the B heat. He took third with his Morticians, and despite a great 12-0 first round my Fishermen got losses the rest of the day. Was a good time, we played at least twice as much GB as Warmachine.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Adepticon Guild Ball sold out in less than twelve hours. Maybe they didn't anticipate demand very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
There is a 'black friday' pre-release thing on at the moment, you can pick up a few pre-release models if you act quick:

http://store.guildball.com/locker-room

Wave 1 sold out pretty fast, but there is Wave 2 at 17:00 GMT. You can pick up Venin and Hoist at the moment, but i guess they could change it up for wave 2.