Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Adam's on Paternity leave at the moment

was that a joke? That tweet was from the 29th of may

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Freudian Slip posted:

Adam's on Paternity leave at the moment

was that a joke? That tweet was from the 29th of may

Lol what a joke, the ALP are loving pathetic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

lol loving finally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ray Martin has been appointed by the ABC to lead an independent review of Q&A. What

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ray Martin has been appointed by the ABC to lead an independent review of Q&A. What

i had to check this wasn't a joke

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...701-gi2lcn.html

quote:

The audit, which is independent of the ABC, will be a broad examination of Q&A's selection of topics and panelists over several programs. The board had already decided to conduct the review before the controversy over Zaky Mallah's appearance on Q&A.

Wait what?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ray Martin seems like a solid guy, from my uneducated view on him. He's probably gonna be rational about this, right?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Geez not Blood & Guts Martin

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Cleretic posted:

Ray Martin seems like a solid guy, from my uneducated view on him. He's probably gonna be rational about this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbcScp9wpU

For context - it's when John Safran bailed him up the same way a current affair did with the Paxton kids.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 1, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Freudian Slip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbcScp9wpU

For context - it's when John Safran bailed him up the same way a current affair did with the Paxton kids.

I knew what that link would be:

a) without clicking it;
b) before you edited your post.

The good old Paxton kids.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

Q&A: Executive producer given formal warning after former terrorism suspect Zaky Mallah's appearance on program

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-01/abc-board-response-q-and-a-zacky-mallah/6587674

The executive producer of the ABC's Q&A program has received a formal warning over the appearance of former terrorism suspect Zaky Mallah last week.

In a statement, the ABC Board said it agreed with ABC management's statement last week that the decision to allow Mr Mallah to appear live on the program was wrong given his criminal background and past public statements.

The board reviewed the events surrounding the program that saw Mr Mallah question Liberal MP Steve Ciobo about proposed changes to citizenship laws.

"Given his criminal background and past public statements, the live broadcast meant that the ABC was not in a position to manage unpredictable or inappropriate actions or responses," it said in a statement.

"There was inadequate consideration given to important issues around his presence in the studio, considering his previous actions, his desire for the media spotlight and some of his public comments.

"He should not have been allowed to participate in the program from the studio audience

Goes on to discuss Ray's Review.

Lucky to keep their job to be honest.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

He used to be a semi-serious journalist, 30 years ago.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Ray's a smug rear end in a top hat but he's not a Liberal shill. He did a really good job hosting the First Contact series on SBS last year.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

tomkash posted:

Why is Adam Bandt not included? Is he away or something or did they just go out of their way to not include him and the Greens on this?

He's on paternity leave.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The ABC should have stuck to their guns and told the idiot tories to bite them.

It did however offer a much needed distraction from removing rights from a bunch of people, keeping whistle blowers schtum as well as hiding Joe from the worst of the fall out post 'yuz are all clowns'.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2015/jun/04/joe-hockey-may-call-me-a-clown-but-gdp-growth-hasnt-been-terrific

Mallah was a danger to who exactly? What is the scale of the terrorist threat? Lets inflate the figures ridiculously and say there are 3000 motivated and committed IS terrorists and their supporters in Australia. Exactly how scared would you be if the Falkland Island (Pop 3000) declared war?

If your answer was "poo poo scared better revoke the right to a trial, commit Billions of dollars to getting tough on the Falklands and a bunch of other stuff" then congratulations on being a political opportunist with a dog whistle stuck up their bottom /*farts*

Mallah was exactly the balancing opinion that was needed in the discussion. Without him they would have had to have flown in a Dane http://www.thelocal.dk/20150127/denmark-passes-new-anti-radicalisation-plan

quote:

The projects include a 6.9 kroner “exit centre” for people who have fought for radical Islamist groups in Syria or Iraq, a hot-line for those who fear friend or family members are at risk of radicalisation, and increased funding for prisons.

“We have agreed on a large-scale anti-radicalisation plan to address the problems we see in Denmark with radicalisation and undemocratic tendencies, not least among young people," Justice Minister Mette Frederiksen told TV2 after the vote.

“There will be a strong focus on preventing young people getting involved in these radicalised environments,” she added. “But obviously if someone does go down that road, we must do everything we can to ensure that they come out again."

FFS are we really that stupid and easily distracted?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

The ABC should have stuck to their guns and told the idiot tories to bite them.
This is a commonly held view on Something Wonky that instead of the ABC or ALP just kowtowing to the Liberals baseless demands, they should just double down and call out those conservative fucks. However both organisations have become toothless and rather do their best to pamper the Liberals demands so they don't cop fury from Murdoch or the right wing radio shock jocks.

quote:

Sadly, yes. It is amazing how much evil poo poo Abbott and his cronies have done that have been buried by dumb poo poo like Q&A controversy and what Shorten did or didn't get up to when he was an union head.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/gay-marriage-bill-to-be-introduced-in-august/story-fnet09y4-1227423720263

quote:

TONY Abbott has kicked back against a cross-party push for new same-sex marriage laws to be brought before the Parliament next month.

The Prime Minister today made clear the economy and national security were his priorities and that this could leave no room for marriage reform.

He has raised the prospect of a Bill not being brought on for debate, or even discussed in the Coalition party rooms.

However, that could lead to tension within the government parties with Mr Abbott siding with conservative backbenchers, some of whom almost caused a leadership spill last February.

A spokesman for Mr Abbott today said a private member’s Bill would not be discussed in the joint party room unless it was to be voted on in the Parliament.

“It is rare for a private member’s Bill to be voted on and any Bill would be subject to the usual process,” a spokesman for Mr Abbott said.

“The Prime Minister’s position remains the same as it has always been and he supports the current policy that marriage is between a man and a woman.

“The government’s priority is strong economic management and keeping Australians safe.”

It was revealed this afternoon that there are plans for an August 18 showdown on allowing Coalition MPs a conscience vote on changes to the Marriage Act.

Marriage equality campaigners want to harness momentum on the issue following endorsement from the Irish referendum and the ruling by the US Supreme Court that same-sex marriage was constitutional in all states.

It is understood Queensland Liberals Warren Entsch and Teresa Gambaro will take proposed laws to their party room with an appeal for a conscience vote on the matter.

They are expected to be backed by co-sponsorship from House of Representatives independents Cathy McGowan and Andrew Wilkie.

Labor MPs Terri Butler and Laurie Ferguson will be the Labor flank backing the legislation.

Discussions on cross-party legislation were held last week, the final sitting week before the winter break.

Labor leader Bill Shorten welcomed what he called “this sign of progress” and backed a free vote for all MPs. “I hope it means Tony Abbott will finally grant Liberal MPs a free vote on the legislation. As I’ve consistently said, it’s the outcome that is important here, not whose name is on the bill,” the Opposition leader said.

“Like millions of Australians, my first and only hope here is that we can make marriage equality a reality.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

It would be poetic if this had him turfed after putting the pieces into play for an early election. Building a fear and national security election entirely undermined by social issues hes tried to stamp out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

*puts away op, sad hulk walking away music playing*

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Wow, that OP is something.

I don't really have anything worthwhile to add, but at least I'm not Negligent.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"I am not able to focus on the economy, national security and marriage reform at the same time. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but I can't drown brown people as well." - NTATA

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They're not actually focusing on the economy either, they just don't want people to notice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ungulateman posted:

"I am not able to focus on the economy, national security and marriage reform at the same time. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but I can't drown brown people as well." - NTATA

Its simpler than that - Abbotts entire tactic as PM has been to be a super opposition leader and his actions over the last few weeks have been nothing but wedge issues for Labor involving national security, which he knows he has the edge on by being a soulless husk while Labor has their right wing under Fart Shorten and their changefromwithiners. Social issues however wedge the Liberal party both between tha classical Liberalists and the public at large being socially progressive. Its a loser and muddies his plans for a snap election because "no gays married" is a poor slogan.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Mallah was exactly the balancing opinion that was needed in the discussion.

Just no. There is nothing balanced about that fuckwit and nothing worth hearing.

http://www.mamamia.com.au/news/zaky-mallah-sexist-tweets/

Obviously a pawn in the ABC's careful crafting of their "gotcha" plan on the LNP but still a poo poo stain now best left to sink into obscurity.

tithin posted:

*puts away op, sad hulk walking away music playing*

Bad luck mate, we were waiting.

A day late, a buck short

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 1, 2015

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

tomkash posted:

Why is Adam Bandt not included? Is he away or something or did they just go out of their way to not include him and the Greens on this?

Both, probably. He's on paternity leave at the moment (hence my comment about first time in almost five years there's no Green in the Lower House) but Labor being Labor you can bet they waited until this happened so that they could avoid giving us any credit for something we've campaigned on for years.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those tweets are the dumbest red herring. Whether he's a piece of poo poo is irrelevant, if people want to attack what he said on Q&A then they should, but no one should be looking at other things he's said when they make up about whether it was right or not. It's the very definition of an ad hominem attack.

If we're going to disqualify people from being on Q&A for saying mean things then no one would be allowed on.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i was looking forward to tithin's OP that was just an image that represented australian politics as an ouroboros of kirbys, endlessly inhaling themselves

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon posted:

Mallah was exactly the balancing opinion that was needed in the discussion. Without him they would have had to have flown in a Dane http://www.thelocal.dk/20150127/denmark-passes-new-anti-radicalisation-plan

Do you know how that exit centre works, and what the money represents? 6.9 kroner is like $2 AUD which seems remarkably low funding, but they also talk about a near 60 million kroner scheme so it's presumably not just a typo. Is it some sort of application fee or something

quote:

:allears:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

Those tweets are the dumbest red herring. Whether he's a piece of poo poo is irrelevant, if people want to attack what he said on Q&A then they should, but no one should be looking at other things he's said when they make up about whether it was right or not. It's the very definition of an ad hominem attack.

If we're going to disqualify people from being on Q&A for saying mean things then no one would be allowed on.

They are not irrelevant. It comes down to questions of character and judgement. If you going to manufacture a face off against a Parliamentary Secretary at least have someone who can ask a question without the whole thing blowing up and isn't obviously a disgusting little gently caress in the public's eye.

That's why Tony Jones jumped right in and shut it down. He knew then this was a massive gently caress up as the gotcha plan started to unravel in a big way. They have been on the back foot ever since. Hence it being a question of judgement. Yes, the Government and Murdoch media have been unrelenting but if you're going to play that little game expect blow back.

Mallah has been played by both sides and should just let someone confiscate his Twitter account while he works it all out in his thick head.

gently caress, a couple of years ago when "The Chaser" did that "make a wish" skit the producer or head of comedy was sacked in about half a day. I didn't even rate it as that awful even though I didn't find it funny. Nice to know the ABC rate accountability over a comedy skit show higher than flagship current affairs forum (as poo poo as it is).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone with half a loving clue understands that Zakky has nothing of value to say and ignores him. Why is this still in the news?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

They are not irrelevant. It comes down to questions of character and judgement. If you going to manufacture a face off against a Parliamentary Secretary at least have someone who can ask a question without the whole thing blowing up and isn't obviously a disgusting little gently caress in the public's eye.

You're talking about someone who is a member of a government that facilitates the abuse of refugees on island prisons, and threatens to take away people's citizenship without judicial oversight. If you think offensive tweets should disqualify someone from being given a voice but that shouldn't then you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 1, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gorbash posted:

Do you know how that exit centre works, and what the money represents? 6.9 kroner is like $2 AUD which seems remarkably low funding, but they also talk about a near 60 million kroner scheme so it's presumably not just a typo. Is it some sort of application fee or something
Yes it is an 'exit fee'

I was keen to focus on the broader principles and it seems it's not just the Danes who are thinking rationally about a response. This is from:

http://www.strategicdialogue.org/De-radicalisation_final.pdf

quote:

The Danish plan identifies radicalisation partially as a symptom of inadequate social integration. Its
strategy to counter extremist radicalisation was therefore divided into preventative activities and targeted
interventions. Preventative activities focused on increasing social cohesion and democratic capital and
further integrating alienated groups into mainstream society. This was done by reaching out to young
people and encouraging them to find healthier social alternatives to extremist groups through community
dialogue initiatives and increasing the effectiveness of multi-agency partnerships. The plan did not
therefore attempt to tackle violent extremist narratives and ideologies directly, preferring instead to focus
on improving the socio-economic conditions of potentially vulnerable young people. Alongside this,
intervention programs, such as the Back on Track and Deradicalisation - Targeted Interventions
projects (examined in further detail below), were implemented with individuals that already held extremist
views or associated with extremist groups:

http://www.icenews.is/2015/02/08/anti-radicalisation-initiative-passed-in-denmark/

quote:

Denmark will spend nearly 60 million kroner on a new anti-radicalisation plan, after it was passed through parliament on a near unanimous vote.
The initiative includes better funding for prisons, a special hotline for people to call if they have concerns family members or friends could become radicalised and so-called “exit centres” for people who have been part of Islamist groups in Iraq and Syria.
Justice Minister Mette Frederiksen explained that parliament had agreed Denmark needed to introduce an effective anti-radicalisation plan to solve Islamist-related problems that the country is currently experiencing, particularly among younger citizens.
She said special focus would be put on preventing young people getting caught up in such environments, but pointed out that they were fully aware that if someone did get involved in such situations, they needed to have a plan in place to help them get away from it.
The plan was first proposed in August and has been a strong point of debate ever since, with the right-wing Venstre Party advocating tougher regulations like exit permits for Danish residents suspected of partaking in jihadism.
However, a proposal to request the assistance of local imams has been scrapped because of the far-right Danish People’s Party’s objection to it. The far-left Red Green Alliance was the sole party to vote for the plan.
The more things change...

Laserface posted:

Anyone with half a loving clue understands that Zakky has nothing of value to say and ignores him. Why is this still in the news?
"What would have happened if my case had been decided by the Minister and not the courts?"

Hang on that question is 100% on the money and deserved a better response than it got. Also

Wiki posted:

The proposals were the subject of several cabinet leaks.[19][20](There's a security issue for you)

Mallah appeared on the ABC's Q&A program on 22 June 2015,[21] putting a pre-approved question to Steven Ciobo asking the possible outcome of his case if it had been heard by a government minister instead of the Supreme Court.

However I do think that further discussion is both fruitless (Barren) and counterproductive because:

Meanwhile:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-01/pm-stands-by-department-head-thawley-china-comments/6586270

quote:

PM stands by department head over comments China 'not willing or able to play serious global leadership role'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875

quote:

Test Pilot Admits the F-35 Can’t Dogfight: New stealth fighter is dead meat in an air battle

A test pilot has some very, very bad news about the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The pricey new stealth jet can’t turn or climb fast enough to hit an enemy plane during a dogfight or to dodge the enemy’s own gunfire, the pilot reported following a day of mock air battles back in January.

“The F-35 was at a distinct energy disadvantage,” the unnamed pilot wrote in a scathing five-page brief that War Is Boring has obtained. The brief is unclassified but is labeled “for official use only.”

The test pilot’s report is the latest evidence of fundamental problems with the design of the F-35 — which, at a total program cost of more than a trillion dollars, is history’s most expensive weapon.

We're buying 58 of them. What else could we get for $12,000,000,000?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875

We're buying 58 of them. What else could we get for $12,000,000,000?

~80-100 high tech flying death machines that actually work (Rafale or F/A-18E/F), or maybe even something useful.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

~80-100 high tech flying death machines that actually work (Rafale or F/A-18E/F), or maybe even something useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHExwNn-sqw

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Admittedly knowing almost nothing about modern air combat, I thought that dogfighting isn't something jets do anyway.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Admittedly knowing almost nothing about modern air combat, I thought that dogfighting isn't something jets do anyway.

You've only got a few missiles. If you run out, your choice is to turn around and risk being chased, turn around and risk the perp getting away, or stay and fight using whatever you have left.

Didn't some other poster do a thread about the f35?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If dogfighting is dead, will i finally get my dream of a 747 with missiles?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The list of poo poo that is wrong with the F35 is so big that "not being able to dogfight" is further down the list than you'd think.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If dogfighting is dead, will i finally get my dream of a 747 with missiles?

That's basically a B52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

You've only got a few missiles. If you run out, your choice is to turn around and risk being chased, turn around and risk the perp getting away, or stay and fight using whatever you have left.

Didn't some other poster do a thread about the f35?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647975

tl;dr is that it's what you get when the MIC corruption machine runs rampant. We should've at least waiting until the loving thing worked and had a competitive flyoff...but nah, let's just buy whatever the US want us to.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the acquisition cost ends up being more than $12 billion.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread