Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Lid posted:

http://m.smh.com.au/comment/comment-eric-abetz--on-gay-marriage-20150701-gi26gi.html

Ericabetz having a fit over same sex marriage, cites Antonin Scalia as to why we mustn'0t allow it here

So, parsing his argument, I assume he's in support of letting a plebiscite decide it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

meteor9 posted:

That, or their union is the SDA and they end up wondering what the hell their money is even going to every time their union signs them up for a universally worse contract that Fairwork has to come in and fix up, or lobbies to prevent same-sex marriage.

I didn't parse it at first but soon after I got my current job, SDA negotiated away saturday award pay somehow.

I'm wondering if the SDA is responsible for a huge chunk of the anti-union sentiment. They cover what's going to be a lot of people's first jobs, so they're going to be one of the first unions they have influencing their life, and they never do it in a good way.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

hooman posted:

Anyone know anything about "Professionals Australia" as apparently they're my union but I've never heard of them.

They were still called APESMA (assoc. of professionals, engineers, scientists, managers, au) back when I was in engineering, wonder why they had to rebrand? I was a member but never really understood what the association could do for members back then. Legal aid for if I got unfairly sacked or accused of professional negligence I think, don't remember much else.

I'm in IT now but since I work for a school I've joined the AEU and I find the information and messaging a lot clearer. I know exactly which conditions and benefits the union has fought for on my behalf, they are tangible things, like: I no longer have to reapply for my job at the end of every school year, I no longer have to worry about not getting paid during school holidays (a system was devised to smooth out pays across the whole year), I was getting pay increases regularly and the next round of bargaining is beginning soon (or has just begun).

I think regular email updates and strong messaging makes a big difference and I have a lot more confidence in knowing my Union fees are helping good things get done.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/give-taxpayers-a-say-in-how-abc-is-funded/story-fnpp4dl6-1227424183706

Written by a former classmate :( He is a liberal person but I think because he's trying to break into journalism he's writing what will get him money, so he's taking what he can get.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Blocked by paywall

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Blocked by paywall

Blocked by paywall a benevolent god.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
And here was me worshipping the free market ironically...

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I am cross posting from the bad thread (or is this the bad thread?), sorry for the E/N poo poo but I am in a bit of a tight bind and would like opinions from people who know poo poo

Big Willy Style posted:

So I got offered a fulltime position at a hotel. I have been asked to sign a contract some time this week but am having some doubts in my brain.

At my current hotel I am working 4 nights a week but am casual. Last financial year I earned 44k before tax. That was with a bout 6 weeks where I didnt work. I have been with them for 2 years.

The new place are offering full-time with a salary of 38k. So I will be working 1 day more a week with all of the bullshit that comes with working a salary. But I get sick leave and paid leave. They say they will review my salary after 3 months but that doesn't actually mean poo poo in reality.

That is $6000 difference and I have to work one more day a week (at least). I will be working days instead of nights which is good, but that is a large chunk of change and also the unknown of starting at a new place that could turn out to be terrible. I don't know if I should be taking it.

Gwynplaine posted:

Always take full time work, BWS. Employers will make cuts.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Subtract the amount of pay you would be earning on your sick leave and paid leave from the $6,000 difference to get the real difference.

Is 38k their initial offer, or is that what you guys negotiated to?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

How much sick leave and paid leave, because that'll go some way towards offsetting the 6k less. Also working days rather than nights does have a tremendous benefit to your mental health (or normally does, anyway) so don't discount the quality of life stuff there - but by getting your nights back you'll be going out more, so spending more money, etc.

The downside to a salaried position is all the undocumented hours. As soon as you get salary (and take a paycut to get it) your hours suddenly skyrocket, especially if you're taking a position of any responsibility (even fake responsibility for a job that doesn't matter). You start leaving an hour later some days, then a few hours later on Fridays, emergencies become 14 hour clusterfucks, etc etc.

Try to take a look around and see if other jobs are going with better compensation. No point taking a job that's the same or worse -- if you're chopping and changing, upgrade, don't just change the name of whoever signs your cheques. Hell, if you're really uncertain just tell them you're interested but you want an extra little bit of cash per year, or extra benefits like a uniform/cleaning allowance or whatever. You could ask that the salary remains the same but every 3rd Friday (or Monday) you don't have to work.

e: Or ask that they put the 3 month payrise into the contract, and then yearly payrises or something. So that either they're happy with your performance and you're guaranteed to be compensated accordingly, or they're not happy and they fire you (so you can claim unemployment in the meantime - double check that, I've never been fired and I'm not 100% sure how that works in Australia)

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I thought the way salaries worked you get X amount every week (your salary divided by 52), if you are working or sick or taking holidays you just get paid X. Or am I wrong on that? It wouldn't be 38k + holiday and sick pay, it would be 38k inc holiday and sick pay?

Because of that I didn't think to ask how much leave/sick pay I would be getting.

Also I am on night audit, so we compile data, fill out spreadsheets and do some admin stuff that can be a hassle through the day and have a bit more knowledge of the numbers going on behind the scenes. We are still expected to know everything that a receptionist does on top on having to work independently without having anyone on our shift to ask questions. I have applied for reservations and event manager positions, head receptionist positions etc but everyone baulks at the night audit thinking we are lazy and don't know what we are doing when we are a one man show running the whole thing for a third of the day in reality. For me to make an advancement I have to move into days, take a pay cut because I dont get night loading so I can actually rub shoulders with management every day so they can actually see what I am doing and that is pretty frustrating.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Big Willy Style posted:

I am cross posting from the bad thread (or is this the bad thread?), sorry for the E/N poo poo but I am in a bit of a tight bind and would like opinions from people who know poo poo

Get the fat starting salary. A 2% bump on 35k is way less than a 2% bump on 40k. Over a couple of years you will be out many, many, thousands. Do not get a nebulous 'in 3 months' promise. If it is not in a contract it isn't happening.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter posted:

If it is not in a contract it isn't happening.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Graic Gabtar posted:

Goes on to discuss Ray's Review.

Lucky to keep their job to be honest.

First of all let me say isn't it great to live in a country that allows this kind of exchange to occour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQO3pW0DLmI

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Also BWS, 38k seems *really* low for an overnight job. Unless you get loading on top of that.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ask for 46k. If they say no, you still have a 44k a year job? If they go to 40 or 42, then you can reconsider again.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think last page it was asked whether union fees are tax deductible. I didn't see it answered so I will say it here:

yes, union fees are tax deductible.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Sorry just to be clear the new job is a day job, my current job is night. So I went into it fully expecting to be paid less because of no night loading but having the benefit of being able to go to bed every night with my gf and experiencing more than 2 hours of light in winter would be novel. I don't know if I can handle that much of a reduction of pay with having to work at least one extra day a week. The job security would be nice but is it 6k and an extra day of work a week nice?

I think I am going to be forced to ask for a higher salary or refuse the offer and keep looking.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Birdstrike posted:

I think last page it was asked whether union fees are tax deductible. I didn't see it answered so I will say it here:

yes, union fees are tax deductible.

Yeah, I've always claimed them. You need to provide evidence if they're more than $300 though.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

what the gently caress posted:

More or less. also thing is that for workers in our union a lot of the time members are incredibly remote and travelling to meetings is quite hard. For us our branch is at the north of the state, to travel is 3/4 hours.

If it helps your union work then you can always crash at my place in Launie, cut out some travel time between rests.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

Sorry just to be clear the new job is a day job, my current job is night. So I went into it fully expecting to be paid less because of no night loading but having the benefit of being able to go to bed every night with my gf and experiencing more than 2 hours of light in winter would be novel. I don't know if I can handle that much of a reduction of pay with having to work at least one extra day a week. The job security would be nice but is it 6k and an extra day of work a week nice?

I think I am going to be forced to ask for a higher salary or refuse the offer and keep looking.

You should probably be paid at least 40/42k. Be careful with full time jobs in this industry make sure you have in contract about overtime and penalty rates because they will always gently caress you and make you work extra hours or weekends and not pay you any extra for it. Good luck with moving to day shifts though, working nights is awful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Our social policy should not be dictated from Washington. It should come from Beijing - Ericabetz

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPs claim almost $10,000 in travel expenses for Pollie Pedal fundraiser

The prime minister and some other Coalition politicians participating in the 2014 pollie pedal charity bike ride claimed almost $10,000 in flight and travel expenses around the event.

While Tony Abbott wasn’t involved in the entire trip, he claimed $1,116 in travel allowances for two nights of accommodation towards the end of the ride in Mudgee and Leura.

The then social services minister Kevin Andrews and the member for the electorate of Parkes – where most of the Pollie Pedal took place – Mark Coulton claimed $4,603 between them for the duration of the ride.

Andrews also claimed flights to and from Sydney at the start and end of the ride, and Andrews’ wife also flew in to Sydney at taxpayer expense at the beginning and end of the ride.

The assistant minister for social services, Mitch Fifield, also claimed flight and travel expenses over the course of the event, but did not take part in the cycling, instead holding 24 meetings and press conferences at various locations. Andrews and Abbott also held meetings and press conferences.

Other politicians joined the bike ride but did not make any claims for travel expenses, including Luke Hartsuyker, David Gillespie and Barnaby Joyce.

Pollie Pedal, an annual 1,000km charity bike ride undertaken by politicians in different parts of Australia, was co-founded by Abbott in 1998 with two then-fellow MPs Jackie Kelly and Ross Cameron. It raised over $750,000 in 2014, according to Carers Australia.

A spokesman for Andrews said all travel claims had been made within entitlement and directed further questions to the Department of Finance.

“As the minister for social services at the time, Minister Andrews visited many community groups and service providers that were within his portfolio during Pollie Pedal,” he said.

“Through his participation in Pollie Pedal, Minister Andrews was also pleased to contribute to the important fundraising efforts of Carers Australia.”

Claiming travel allowances and flights in this way is allowed under the entitlements system, and the Department of Finance relies on the discretion of the politician to determine what is and isn’t official business.

Andrews claimed $432 on the first day of the ride and $357 per day for the next eight days as the ride took in Tamworth, Moree, Gunnedah, the Blue Mountains, and finished in Penrith.

Coulton claimed between $253 and $278 for electorate business on 9-10 August and 12-14 August, totalling $1,315.

Andrews also charged the taxpayer for his flights to and from Sydney costing $1,274.

Andrews’ wife travelled with him at the beginning and the end of the Pollie Pedal flying from Melbourne to Sydney on 8 August and back to Melbourne two days later at a cost of $1,274.

She returned to Sydney on 16 August, when the pollie pedal ended, and then returned with Andrews to Melbourne on 18 August with the round trip costing another $1,274.

The $2,549 worth of flights for Andrews’ wife around the time the Pollie Pedal began and ended flights were charged to the taxpayer as a ministerial expense.

A spokesman for Abbott defended the practice of claiming travel expenses for participating in the charity event, referring to Abbott’s comments in 2013.

“I don’t in any way apologise for claiming travel expenses for the Pollie Pedal because the Pollie Pedal is a perfectly legitimate form of engagement with the community,” Abbott said through the spokesman.

“It’s precisely the kind of engagement with the community that I think politicians who are serious about representing the people of Australia should have.”

His spokesman suggested contacting the CEO of Carers Australia about what Pollie Pedal has achieved for carers and their cause around Australia.

Fifeld said Pollie Pedal was run with the assistance of and benefit of Carers Australia which is a key peak organisation in his portfolio.

“While the pedallers cycled, I used the event as a backdrop in my role as the minister for disability, ageing and carers to meet people with disability, carers and older Australians as well as with the groups that support them,” he said.

“My travel was for the important portfolio business of meeting carers, older Australians and people with disability and their families in regions that don’t always have the same opportunity as metropolitan areas to meet with and be heard by their minister.”

Coulton was also contacted for comment.

Guardian Australia found no records of MPs from other parties who claimed expenses for taking part in the event.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jul/02/mps-claim-almost-10000-in-travel-expenses-for-pollie-pedal-fundraiser

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I'd known you fuckers were this easy to troll, I would have started long ago.

SOPHIE MIRABELLAAAAAAA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Presenting Ericabetz, moving the goalposts.

quote:

Conservative cabinet minister Eric Abetz says Australia should not legalise gay marriage because no Asian country has adopted marriage equality.

And Senator Abetz says legalising gay marriage would lead to polyamory and argues issue should be rejected out of hand because Opposition Leader Bill Shorten supports change.

In his first comments since returning from a long period of personal leave, Senator Abetz launched an attack on the campaign to legalise same-sex marriage in Australia, which has been bolstered by the recent Irish referendum and US Supreme Court ruling.

Two Liberal MPs have been revealed as co-sponsors of a multi-party private members bill due to be introduced into the Parliament in August, meaning the issue can finally come to a head in the Liberal partyroom.

Many Liberals favour change and want a free vote but the conservative wing of the party mobilised on Thursday to warn the support required to pass any bill into law does not exist within the government.

Supporters of change say Australia is now lagging the rest of the world, with comparable countries including Britain, New Zealand, America and Ireland all redefining marriage to include gay couples.

But Senator Abetz questioned whether Australia should instead be following Asia on the issue.

"The Labor Party and other journalists tell us time and time again that we are living in the Asian century, tell me how many Asian countries have redefined marriage?" Senator Abetz said during an interview on ABC radio.

He also lashed out at the "bizarre" US Supreme Court decision and pleaded for "some rationality and balance back into the debate".

"Are we in the Asian century or not? It's amazing how certain people try to pick and choose in relation to debates. All of the sudden the United States, which is usually condemned, is now being celebrated on this bizarre decision of a 5-4 decision in the Supreme Court."

Appearing on Sky News a short time later, Senator Abetz described the push for marriage equality as "the latest fad".

"If you undo the institution of marriage by redefining it for the latest movement or the latest fad, you will open the Pandora's box," he said.

"Like what?" asked host Kieran Gilbert.

"Well polyamory clearly, polamory is one of those….let's not be under any illusion that once you start unpicking the definition of marriage, there will other consequences," Senator Abetz replied.

Senator Abetz's comments are reminiscent of when fellow right-wing senator Cory Bernardi said same-sex marriage could lead to acceptance of bestiality. He was subsequently sacked from his shadow frontbench role.

Senator Bernardi renewed his warnings on Thursday that gay marriage would deny children what he said is their right to a mother and a father.

"If you are claiming this is an issue of discrimination, who are you to discriminate from you know, commercial surrogacy? Aren't you then denying someone the opportunity to have children or to enter into private arrangements in that capacity?" he told the ABC.

Senator Abetz also opposed same-sex marriage on the basis that it is supported by Mr Shorten.

He also slammed the Australian media and said voters resented "unfair reporting" by journalists on the issue.

"I don't think Australians want it, it's not a high order issue," he said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Wednesday slapped down a cross-party attempt to legalise same-sex marriage.

The debate over same-sex marriage will come to a head when Parliament resumes in August, with a marriage equality bill moved by Liberal MP Warren Entsch and seconded by Labor MP Terri Butler and backed by a multi-party grouping to be introduced.

But Mr Abbott pushed back on Wednesday against the move, saying through a spokeswoman that his position remained unchanged and that the government's priority is the economy and national security.

WE SHOULD BE ASIA.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty sure polyamory is already legal.

also: "It's amazing how certain people try to pick and choose in relation to debates"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Is this some kind of new troll where the posts are designed to bring me down rather than enrage me?

Cos these posts are making me feel low

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ScreamingLlama posted:

If I'd known you fuckers were this easy to troll, I would have started long ago.

SOPHIE MIRABELLAAAAAAA

ASMR

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

ScreamingLlama posted:

SOPHIE MIRABELLAAAAAAA

It's a big wide world outside, full of things to explore, people to meet and relationships to have.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If Australia is an Asian country then I suppose New Zealand is as well, so there's one that's legalised it.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Lid posted:

WE SHOULD BE ASIA.

Unironically this.

Seeing as we get to cherry pick stuff. Transgender bathrooms in every school.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao Greg Hunt on ABC taking credit for not dumping trash on the great barrier reef and blaming the reefs status on the previous labor government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No poofters

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Lid posted:

Ericabetz having a fit over same sex marriage, cites Antonin Scalia as to why we mustn'0t allow it here

Their arguments are really getting desperate now. The 'Asian region' argument has to be the most novel one yet. Are we going to align ourselves with other laws of Asian countries? Perhaps introduce some offences for blasphemy?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What would Eric Abetz do if Bill Shorten endorsed him?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Civil war is erupting within the Liberal Party as arch-conservative MPs accuse pro-gay marriage colleagues of colluding with the Greens and Labor to derail the government's agenda and demanding ministers who support change resign from the frontbench.

Splits

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pred1ct posted:

Their arguments are really getting desperate now. The 'Asian region' argument has to be the most novel one yet. Are we going to align ourselves with other laws of Asian countries? Perhaps introduce some offences for blasphemy?

We're already punishing people for criticizing the ruling party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ScreamingLlama posted:

SOPHIE MIRABELLAAAAAAA

dance puppets dance!!

• Locked thread