Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

dance puppets dance!!

*jerkily dances on his strings for milky-san*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

If I'd known you fuckers were this easy to troll, I would have started long ago.

SOPHIE MIRABELLAAAAAAA

Some know when to quit on the quest for the 500.

Others just go mad searching.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

d3rt posted:

If there was a union for IT/tech workers, I'd join. If the IWW accepted online membership registration (and not insist I go 32KM across the city to a meeting), I'd join.

Alas...

If you're call centre or touch a phone http://www.nuw.org.au/
If you're more than that http://www.professionalsaustralia.org.au/

NUW are great on workplace matters. Politically they're right of centre.
Professionals Australia is the relevant union for IT, don't know them at all, don't know how effective they are.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So does that mean we are the poor white trash of Asia now?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

More like the Cronulla of Asia.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

Mithranderp posted:

I am a full time uni student who works casually. I have close to no disposable income so union fees aren't really a thing I can pay at the moment. But the minute I graduate and (dream of dreams) find a full time job, I will definitely join a union.

They're are different fees for different types of workers. As a student and a casual you can get a lower fee rate. Depending on your industry say around $3 a week. Ask and you receive.

They want people to enter the unions (except the SDA) and they can make it work for you, you just need to rock up and ask.

$3 a week is a bus ride, besides making sure you're paid correctly, if the boss man decides to give you the casual the flick, the union can at least force them to got through a process, give you notice, protect from unfair dismissal, etc.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

meteor9 posted:

That, or their union is the SDA and they end up wondering what the hell their money is even going to every time their union signs them up for a universally worse contract that Fairwork has to come in and fix up, or lobbies to prevent same-sex marriage.

I didn't parse it at first but soon after I got my current job, SDA negotiated away saturday award pay somehow.

I loving hate the SDA leadership.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

what the gently caress posted:

Or at least be tax-deductable. I'm not sure if you still can but I've been able to claim back my union dues on the last few tax returns I've done.

Union fees are tax deductible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/...o-associations/

ATO website has shat the bed, thanks to 1) tax time 2) support staff cuts 3) cuts cuts

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

what the gently caress posted:

I'm probably equally as guilty as a lot of other members my age. I come and go, my personal life gets well and truly in the way of any consistent union activity so I feel like a oval office.

I think the proof is kind of in the pudding though with falling memberships and less apparent interest of current, employed and financial members to even show up at their stop work meetings to even find out what the gently caress is going on in their own industry or workplace.

Are you in a union, Mithranderp?
Yeah, Nope. Don't use gendered slurs please.

tomkash posted:

Yep. A lot of them also have no presence, I think United voice sends me a magazine maybe twice a year and occasionally posts on their Facebook. Plus hospitality staff are bumped to the liquor and hospitality division not UV itself. I also asked them in emails how I can be more involved and that I was and am working with hundreds of exploited workers and they basically ignored that part of my email to give me a one sentence reply to something else. I was really proud to join the union but they haven't given more than a wet fart of a letter to my previous employer who owes me over 10k in unpaid overtime (almost a year now). I guess I should call them and ask how I can be more involved but whenever I have spoken on the phone I have mentioned my interest and it just doesn't seem like they care.

I wanted to use this underpayment claim as proof the unions can help the people I work with. None of them have any hope and if I had a win it would make a world of difference. I really really wanted to be an active member of the union but if they aren't going to bother I don't really know what to do. You'd think if a new young member joined up and was enthusiastic about the union you'd at least suggest some ways they can help out or be active
Get in touch with them ASAP and be firm if this doesn't garner immediate results please give me the details via pm and I will go into bat for you. 12 months for a claim this size is ridiculous.

-/-

Gleefully watching the LNP manage to wedge themselves on such a non-issue[1] as same sex marriage.

-/-

It is such a shame that with a profile so high he has been on more front pages than NTATA[2] Bliss Shortly is utterly unable to rub this clown car full of incompetent bufoons faces in their own still warm turds.

Nonetheless this is the height of hypocrisy and hastily constructed strawman. Yes Bald Snowman has been given confidential briefings about on water matters. Whether these are comprehensive and explicitly detailed we shall never know. And nor should we. Should Bean Sproutin' reveal the contents of those briefings it would lead to a situation whereby they would have to be refused in future. It's part of the deal. That in no way lets the government off the hook for not adequately informing the Australian Public.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-01/border-force-commissioner-operational-matters-roman-quaedvlieg/6586274

The ongoing silence is not a feature of a transparent democratic government and is only serving to protect the government from valid criticism. The drowning haven't stopped. The world faces an unprecedented number of displaced people.

http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/37039/

quote:

The briefing shows the decision to end the Italian Navy’s humanitarian operation, Mare Nostrum, at the end of 2014, has contributed to a dramatic increase in migrant and refugee deaths at sea. If figures from the latest incidents are confirmed, as many as 1,700 people will have perished this year, 100 times more than in the same period in 2014.

We haven't stopped drownings we just exported them. If you throw a bag of rubbish into your neighbour's yard you no longer have rubbish in your yard but you certainly didn't get rid of the rubbish. That is what the 'drownings' claim is, rubbish. As for the boats stopping it's abundantly clear they haven't. And that's without being privy to all these oh so loving secret 'on water' matters.

[1] It is an important and significant issue and I whole heartedly support it. It is coming one way or the other. That's why I call it a non-issue. It would go away if the LNP just accepted community opinion. Still if they want to die in a ditch over it...

[2] Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

tomkash posted:

poo poo I think NUW covered my last job but not my current job. I wish I could join one of the cool unions :(

Whats your job? Saying the Industry is fine.

Have a chat with NUW, they might still cover you as long as you're still paying your fees.

E.G. spend 30% of your time on the phone, we can fit you under call centre staff, you'd still be covered.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon posted:

Yeah, Nope. Don't use gendered slurs please.

what a silky smooth oval office you are

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Anidav posted:

Union fees shouldn't exist for students :v:

This is why a number of unions, like my own union, the AEU, offer free membership for students who are studying in that field.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem that most students have to work part-time to get by, and most part-time jobs which are available to students are covered by the scabbiest of sellout scab unions, the SDA.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

Big Willy Style posted:

I am cross posting from the bad thread (or is this the bad thread?), sorry for the E/N poo poo but I am in a bit of a tight bind and would like opinions from people who know poo poo

Everything is here. Please look here.
http://tinyurl.com/ph8dty4

This is your award
http://tinyurl.com/nzug2sc

1) What are your duties?
2) What is your job title?
3) How many hours are you working?

Go permanent, ask for $42K (4000 more that what they're offering), you've got 2 years experience, they know your work record, you've caused no problems, you love the company, you received another offer but really want to stay.

Have a look at the how to negotiate a raise thread in Business, Finance and Careers.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

ScreamingLlama posted:

what a silky smooth oval office you are

And you're a fuckhead with a dead cause, ay :allears:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The ETU seems to rock the union world, being at the core of things like the anti Workchoices campaign, and anti privatisation of public assets in QLD. They have to drag other industry unions in by force some times.

Bit of a specific workforce they draw from though.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

BCR posted:

Whats your job? Saying the Industry is fine.

Have a chat with NUW, they might still cover you as long as you're still paying your fees.

E.G. spend 30% of your time on the phone, we can fit you under call centre staff, you'd still be covered.

I've been working as a chef at various pubs in Sydney for the past few years so I'm not sure if they'd be able to cover me. My last job was in catering for a couple of big airlines and banks which it looks like they might cover as it was more food manufacturing. Plenty of problems with that place and how they treat their workers and considering how high profile their clients were you'd think there would be a good case for the workers to be treated a little better. UV was still dragging their feet with my claim at the time though and this is when I asked how I can get more involved and if they had cards/leaflets I could hand to people at work who were interested. So nothing ended up happening and I walked out of the job as I've ended up doing for the job before that as well, they still rake it in and employ at least 50 workers who are all not paid overtime and some workers through an agency which doesn't pay tax, super or penalty rates. Sorry for the rant but it really pissed me off that the union wasn't even interested in a pretty big case like that but hospitality is poo poo everywhere so maybe they're just overstretched.

Also thanks Cartoon, I will contact them again today. They were waiting to claim the time sheets from my ex employer and had sent a letter or two but then just seem to have forgotten about it until I contacted them a month or two ago. Then they got the ombudsman to get the time sheets and last I spoke they were working out the amount I was owed from the information. I just felt bad hassling them about my claim because I know it wasn't going to happen instantly but it is pretty poo poo how things have gone down.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BCR posted:

And you're a fuckhead with a dead cause, ay :allears:

says the bogan with a Eureka flag for an avatar

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ScreamingLlama posted:

says the bogan with a Eureka flag for an avatar

MLP avatar

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

MLP avatar

friendship is magic motherfucker

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

tomkash posted:

I've been working as a chef at various pubs in Sydney for the past few years so I'm not sure if they'd be able to cover me. My last job was in catering for a couple of big airlines and banks which it looks like they might cover as it was more food manufacturing. Plenty of problems with that place and how they treat their workers and considering how high profile their clients were you'd think there would be a good case for the workers to be treated a little better. UV was still dragging their feet with my claim at the time though and this is when I asked how I can get more involved and if they had cards/leaflets I could hand to people at work who were interested. So nothing ended up happening and I walked out of the job as I've ended up doing for the job before that as well, they still rake it in and employ at least 50 workers who are all not paid overtime and some workers through an agency which doesn't pay tax, super or penalty rates. Sorry for the rant but it really pissed me off that the union wasn't even interested in a pretty big case like that but hospitality is poo poo everywhere so maybe they're just overstretched.

Also thanks Cartoon, I will contact them again today. They were waiting to claim the time sheets from my ex employer and had sent a letter or two but then just seem to have forgotten about it until I contacted them a month or two ago. Then they got the ombudsman to get the time sheets and last I spoke they were working out the amount I was owed from the information. I just felt bad hassling them about my claim because I know it wasn't going to happen instantly but it is pretty poo poo how things have gone down.

Pick up the phone and have a chat with your old NUW reps, or ring them direct and ask 1300 275 689

quote:

The NUW is the union for Food Services workers.

The Food Services industry includes anything to do with food; from production of a product, to packaging and delivery.

You might still be covered by NUW.

Don't feel bad, sometimes you just need to keep up at it. Good organisations are ringing you every week with updates, Badly organised ones you need to ring them every week.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ScreamingLlama posted:

friendship is magic motherfucker

I hope your identity isn't in any way associated with this account.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BCR posted:

If you're call centre or touch a phone http://www.nuw.org.au/
If you're more than that http://www.professionalsaustralia.org.au/

NUW are great on workplace matters. Politically they're right of centre.
Professionals Australia is the relevant union for IT, don't know them at all, don't know how effective they are.

I don't blame you for not reading my posts in the last 2 threads, but I don't live in Australia.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

quote:

AFR: Gay marriage causes Coalition civil war

Civil war is erupting within the Liberal Party as arch-conservative MPs accuse pro-gay marriage colleagues of colluding with the Greens and Labor to derail the government's agenda and demanding ministers who support change resign from the frontbench.

Backed by Prime Minster Tony Abbott who moved swiftly Wednesday to kill a push by his own backbench to debate the party's position when Parliament, conservatives have hit the airwaves to crush the push, which has the support of an estimated one-third of the Liberal Party backbench.

Gay marriage advocates, who were promised by Mr Abbott they could at least have a debate, are livid and one has warned the Prime Minster risks re-wakening the leadership issue should he not honour his pledge.

The issue flared on Wednesday when, as anticipated, Liberal MP Warren Entsch confirmed a report he would be introducing a private members bill to Parliament in August.

Once the bill, to be co sponsored by Labor, the Greens and independents, was introduced, the party room would be able to debate its position.

Currently, Liberal MPs are bound to vote against gay marriage but Mr Abbott promised before the election the party could debate having a conscience vote if a bill came before the Parliament.

But on Wednesday, Mr Abbott backtracked, signalling he would not even allow the party room to have a debate.

His spokesman said there could only be a debate if the bill was to be brought to a vote and the government was going to use its numbers to stop than happening.

Liberal Senate leader Eric Abetz said ministers who supported gay marriage should resign from the frontbench as he did in Opposition when he refused to back Malcolm Turnbull over an emissions trading scheme.

"There is very strong support in favour of maintaining the definition of marriage as it is in the marriage act".

"If you can't support party policy, like I did with emissions trading, you do the honorable thing and I resigned from the front bench," he said.

Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi, who once claimed legalised gay marriage would lead to legalised bestiality, accused his colleagues of siding with Labor and the Greens to derail the government's economic and national security agenda. He said they were captive to "left activism".

Mr Bernardi said gay marriage would lead to gay couples having children. But gay couples have long been able to have children in Australia.

Senator Abetz claimed the change would put Australia out of step with the region and lead to "polyamory".

"The Labor party and other journalists tell us time and time again we are living in the Asian century, tell me how many Asian countries have redefined marriage," he said.

"Well, are we in the Asian century or not, it's amazing how certain people try to pick and choose in relation to debates."

Gay marriage is legal in New Zealand, The United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and Ireland.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I couldn't be any worse of a politician than Abbott, Shorten or that chair-sniffing fellow.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

d3rt posted:

I don't blame you for not reading my posts in the last 2 threads, but I don't live in Australia.

Whats your country?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...zens/report/d01

I always knew Abetz was a loser, but Jesus Christ.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BCR posted:

Whats your country?

USA. I work in silicon valley.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

That man is not fit to hold public office.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

open24hours posted:

and those former homosexuals were Albert Einstein

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It could be worse, he could be associated with the Australian Dems and ASMR

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

More like the Cronulla of Asia.

I thought that would be Japan

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

d3rt posted:

USA. I work in silicon valley.

http://www.calaborfed.org/

Have a chat with your state labor board, you might have more of an option that the IWW

Tel. (510) 663-4000

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This thread is like a phoenix. It starts out wonderfully with advice and discussion that's constructive then suddenly bursts into flames.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

This thread is like a phoenix. It starts out wonderfully with advice and discussion that's constructive then suddenly bursts into flames.

what if dooooooog was really birb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d11kYR2lSY

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Which one of you is stroking your disgusting neckbeard live behind abbott right now?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

what if dooooooog was really birb

More like this:

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

quote:

I fully respect and acknowledge that my other Committee colleagues have not been privy to the private briefings that I was privileged to receive. The people that did share their life experience exposed their very soul and vulnerability describing intimate details of their lives. It was an honour to be trusted with this highly personal and sensitive information.

If only everybody could hear the story of the former transsexual and homosexual people. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
From memory a lot of people vote below the line just so the can put Ericabetz last.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BCR posted:

http://www.calaborfed.org/

Have a chat with your state labor board, you might have more of an option that the IWW

Tel. (510) 663-4000

Thanks I've emailed them but I don't hold much hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A former auspoller linked me this whirlpool thread. It's something else.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2422811&p=2#r33

• Locked thread