Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Glad you're alright Fjelltorsk :)

So, when engineering fucks up and draws a part wrong, it's manufactured wrong, but welded on right, the guy doing the welding is responsible? Some penis butt here tried to throw me under the bus for parts not working because the OD is too big. I didn't machine the part, I just welded it, perfectly. Why the gently caress did someone think I hosed this up when I had no part in designing it and did exactly as I was instructed? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You touched it last so it's obviously your fault. Also, you should be QCing every part you weld. Also, you should have all the dimensions memorized in order to do said QCing.

Also, people are dicks.

I'm an inspector too, and the parts were to print :v: The part looks like a huge metal twizzler and the head had an API box that we sawed off, lathe guys turned down the part at the end with a boss, and we made new heads to weld on. everything was to print. Every head slid right on, every head checked with a depth micrometer, calipers, every mating part checked the same. The print was wrong because the engineer didn't get his numbers right. He also neglected to tell all of us that the customer wanted the first piece delivered and then a phone call made so their engineers could check it before continuing production. That call was never made, and we shipped 19 parts, hosed to hell, because the engineer didn't do his job right.

I would like to add that I wasn't the last person to touch the parts. The parts were run on a weiler (manual lathe), tig welded, and then deburred. I also program and operate CMMs, I'm not just a floor grunt. I have a degree on the level(BS:CS VS BS:ME) with the engineer that did this poo poo, but I'm the one getting lovely looks from the shop office staff. The only thing I can't do that he can is make solidworks do what I want as quickly.

E: that sounds arrogant, I'm sorry. I just mean that this kind of poo poo has been happening over and over from this same engy, and after 3 rounds of layoffs, he's still here, and some really talented machinists are gone

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 2, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KozmoNaut posted:

HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT IN MY LIFE

This can't be quoted hard or often enough.

WITNESS!!!!!
:perfect:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Went for a nice early morning drive out by Bandera and Medina on TX-16 and FM-337. I should try videos out with mounting locations before actually trying a good video, the loving garmin obscured the view of the road :negative:

Oh well, got some nice scenic shots with my phone.

This car is at home on those roads and has so much more to give than I'm comfortable asking of it. :allears:

I'm glad I went as early as I did, there were dozens of motorcycles heading that way and I'm so happy I'm not stuck behind slow-rear end harley baggers dragging footboards going 45mph :rolleyes:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bape Culture posted:

What's everyone's favourite Michael Bolton song

Captain Jack Sparrow - Lonely Island ft Michael Bolton.

I hated him when I was a kid, but that song is funny as poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

E: an ad played for a chevrolet trax? I guess that's the chevy version of the buick encore. Why not just buy a loving yaris and skip the high water pants?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey, XRays show I've been riding with a hairline fracture of the kneecap for a week and a half. Was wondering why it hurt so goddamn much, thought I was going soft there for a moment.

How'd you manage that? Also, I take it you were riding bicycles? That had to hurt like a bastard if so.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79kk7E2OLk

I need to figure out a way to mount the gopro higher, or just trade it in for a prius.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the doom 4 gameplay video has me setting aside money for a new graphics card and monitor. It looks like they took that game in exactly the direction I wanted it to go. drat, that's some graphic poo poo and I want to be a part of it.

Saw terminator over the weekend and it was pretty good. I didn't get the same thrill as Mad Max, but it was a solid effort. Some of the sequences were so over the top I was losing the suspension of disbelief though.

Talked with a buddy that was working for IBM on Watson who just got poached by Google. Hearing how google approached him gave me chicken skin. I feel that running into him was a pivotal moment that I'm grateful for because I'm going to get back into programming/computer science and go back to that career. :unsmith:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It surprised me. I didn't see any trailers since I don't have cable. I didn't even know there was a new movie until someone here mentioned it

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This week was my first 55 hour week in probably three months. I'm exhausted and yet I still went and washed my miata and the wife's mini as well as take the recycling to the recycling center. My wife said something that gave me pause yesterday: she said I'm laboring under the delusion that everyone else makes so much more money than I do and most people are just barely squeaking by like we are :stare: I actually agree with her and it's given me a bit of introspection that I have a chip on my shoulder towards anyone I perceive as making more than I do. I need to work on that, because honestly she's right, we aren't doing so badly.

I'm also at a loss as to what to do with the miata. I'm at a crossroads where one path leads me to gold wheels, lowering springs, and an exhaust. The other path leads me to selling the miata for the perfect daily driver for my commute and general driving; a prius. I have no idea what to do. The miata is so useless for anything outside of my daily commute and it gets lovely fuel economy to boot. I dunno. I'm trying not to rationalize myself into a prius, but an economical hatchback really has so many upsides for where I am in my life right now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cakefool posted:

Can you put the miata into storage and still afford a used prius?

No, I cant afford a prius anyway :v: I'm putting away the 'car payment' into savings every month but I'd need the payment to be like $145 for it to be feasible and that necessitates selling the miata to get something somewhat newish (2010). Also, I've had two cars for myself in the past and I start getting all fight-clubby about poo poo I own owning me when I do that :shrug:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

QuarkMartial posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbKa3ipCcY&t=68s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJyYFpTplg

Fake E: I've spent like ten minutes now looking at various videos of 454s and 429s in boats and cars. I love the way these engines sound.

Watching that thing rock back and forth from the torque :perfect:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

some texas redneck posted:

I feel like a few tons of bricks just got dropped on my head.

"Mom" and "cancer" are not words you ever want to hear in the same sentence.

I'm going to go find a dark corner to curl up in for a bit.

:glomp: I'm sorry dude, we're all here for you

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Miata Is Always The Answer.

Anywhoo, my Dad is doing stuff in San Diego for a shipbuilder for the Navy. At any rate, he emailed me a picture of one of the engines going into this ship. It's a MAN, 6 cylinder 2 stroke diesel with an 11MW output at 105 rpm :perfect:

It's four stories tall :stare:

e: whoa that's huge. Take a look at the man sized hole in the crane to the right for some perspective...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Today's my Friday too. Tomorrow I take the Wife's MINI to the dealer for it's scheduled service :smithicide: I hope they don't take a plunger handle to me. I'm only going there because it still has a warranty and I don't want it voided for lack of visits. Also I subscribe to the 'BMW/mini do not suffer a lack fo maintenence well' mindset. I figure a little money today is worth a lot more down the road. I had an E46 where the PO deferred a lot of maintenence and I hated him for it. I've changed the oil and done the air/cabin filters myself, but gently caress doing a brake flush on something like a MINI, I don't want some module to gently caress up or whatever modern bimmers do these days.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

I ate most of a bag of rold gold mini twist pretzels last night (DON'T JUDGE ME) and drat near gassed myself to death in traffic on the way to work this morning. Not sure if fan death or fart death is worse.

My wife used to binge eat those pretzel rod things and then spend all night ripping rear end and making the apartment smell like cat poo poo. Turns out she had celiac the whole time :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress me, I borrowed too much happy from today last night and now I'm paying for it. My wife asked me if I'm gripping the counter to stop the room spinning and I said no, I want the room to stop hurting.

Old plant foreman called me up asking if I know how to dye pen parts. I replied that I do. He offered me 4 hours at $50 an hour, cash, to dye pen some parts at his shop :homebrew: I wonder what I'll be working on.

E: some metal science for those interested. Yesterday I ended up etching some Russian titanium 6-4. Normally, the metal from the US is very homogenous and has no visible grain structure when etched. This Russian stuff looks like crystals when cut across the grain and yesterday I cut it with the grain and it looks like muscle tissue. This batch of poo poo titanium has been giving our machinists fits with how unevenly it cuts. It'll push off like crazy in some spots and cut like cheese in others, and we've discovered why. It looks like in the smelting process, they used ingots instead of powdered metals and then didn't mix it very well.

I also had to make my own etchants yesterday. I couldn't do anything to this metal, MP35N with Frys or Kroll's reagents. I had to go to home depot and pick up some HCL and make a mixture of 20mL of that with 4mLof H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). I made a real stupid mistake that thankfully didn't cost me. I added the peroxide to the HCL instead of the other way around. That's how bad loving burns happen, so I got lucky. Do whatcha oughtta, add acid to water.

E2: After puking my guts up, I feel so much better. Have a picture of some funky Ti 6-4 Al, You can barely make out my weld on the left side. .900 depth with a very narrow heat affected zone. I will say, Titanium welds so loving wierd compared to other metals. High nickel alloys are quite a bit easier to figure out how to weld.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 17, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know minis are generally shat upon in AI, but this dealership experience is vastly different/better than any of my dealings with ford, mazda, or chrysler/jeep. It's up there with Mercedes. These guys are nice. Also I had no idea that buying a fairly new, but used, mini means you still get the maintenance free until 36k miles. :stare: They took great care of me when I had my last mini and they got better since then.

I know I'm driving a small car when the interior of my wife's 2 door hardtop mini feels cavernous.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Professor Bling posted:

I liked this one, too :(. With how supportive she is of my weird Mazda obsession I thought she'd be fine with my bike stuff. I have a feeling this is going to end up causing us problems later on.

When I was shopping for a motorcycle (cute little 250) my wife, who is normally very nice to me, turned straight nasty about it. I stood my ground and did what I wanted, but in the end, the long rides that I wanted to do ended up being spoiled by other drivers on the road. After all that poo poo it turns out that long rear end rides can be just as boring as long rear end drives.

The compromise ended up being selling the bike and getting a miata, so she could enjoy being stuck in traffic with me :v: gently caress Houston.

Happy wife, happy life. I don't miss riding that much after meeting someone who's very broken after wrecking on the track going 150mph. gently caress that noise.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Geoj posted:

This is why I'm completely apathetic towards five guys:

Smoked burger patty with balsamic mayo, cheddar, caramelized onions, spinach and a fried egg over easy. For $8.

And this is just one such restaurant in an area lousy with them. Don't ask how Five Guys remains in business, much less have more locations than you can count on two hands within an hour drive.

See, that's just an idiotic poseur burger. Does it come with plaid pants and horn-rim glasses?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

After spending pretty much the whole of the last two days in my miata, I'm ready for my old focus back. I just can't take it anymore. I can't believe I'm even looking at focus hatches, but goddamnit, that car struck a chord with me for how useful and nice it was. want. Even if it has that loathesome dps6, if it's had its recalls done it'll be perfectly fine. gently caress, I'm so stupid for selling my old funkus.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

some texas redneck posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't give serious thought to grabbing a 12 pack on my way home from work today.

e: goddamnit, I'm hungry, and have blood work in 8 1/2 hours....
e2: why is it when you quit a really heavy drinking habit you feel like eating until you're the size of Jabba the Hut? I've had 4 loving meals today (including nearly an entire pizza), and I'm still starving. My stomach physically hurts from the sudden onslaught of food.

Holy poo poo I thought that was just me. I'm trying to wean myself from a bottle+ wine a night and I'm down to three glasses and I feel like I'm starving and in a bitch mood all day. The stomach pain also is there. WTF? Also, gently caress cancer. I had a scare last year thinking I had lymphoma because all the symptoms pointed at it, but I came up negative. It was so awful confronting your mortality every day.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looking to see what's out there for old subies and...

RUNS GOOD, GOOD AC,TEMP GAUGE NOT POINTING TO HOT AT ALL WHY DO YOU ASK?

e: RKB LUXURY MOTORS are so proud to present this CARFAX CERTIFIED 2004 SUBARU OUTBACK Limited AWD Wagon. Well maintained vehicle, runs and drives excellent, without any issues. Extra clean Interior, tires are almost new. Stop by and take a look at this beauty. EXTENDED WARRANTY AVAILABLE UP TO 48 MONTHS

:lol:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Finally found a obd bluetooth dongle that works with my phone and it's loving badass! I never knew so much info was available through the obd port. I can't wait to plug it into my wife's mini so I can see what the coolant temp is. It has no engine water gauge and that bothers me. Gonna use it tonight on a long drive in the miata to see what I can see. I wish I could mount the phone in such a way as I could see it like a secondary gauge cluster while driving.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Woo! Three day weekend starts today. It started by my alarm not going off so my wife could get ready for work :ughh:

Anyway, I think I'll put my new air hose together and maybe grease the caliper slider pins on the NC. Anyone ever done that? Is permatex aluminium anti-sieze going to work for that?

I wish I had a porter cable random orbital so I could make the lovely paint on the miata look at least a little presentable.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo. Fucker's got cancer in his pancreas, his liver and his lymph nodes. This is going to get messy.

I doubt he's gonna last long. Pancreatic moves fast as gently caress. My grandfather almost died from that poo poo.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CountOfNowhere posted:

I have the base 6 speaker system - if I had the stock 10 speaker I'd not be upgrading. The base stereo sucks rear end in a top hat tho

In that case, don't bother upgrading the speakers until you've done the stock deck, if that's even possible. The amp in that thing rolls bass off at high volume levels so it doesn't blow the speakers. People have been trying to get around that poo poo on the focus fanatics board ever since the car came out in 2011 and I don't think anyone's been able to do it without replacing the stock deck, which loses you the cool voice commands. Base 6 speaker was actually pretty good in my 2012 hatchback. The upgraded 10 speaker on the couple higher trim ones I test drove was even better.

Along those lines, I test drove a fiesta yesterday and it was quite good, but then the pricing doesn't really make it very attractive over a focus hatchback, like $500 on the used market. Why are fiestas so expensive compared to the focus? Also the steering is hilariously light in these cars compared to my miata.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those Skyrim graphics mods are getting pretty good these days. What rig you running, Fjelltorsk? :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hey guys who have quit drinking, can you give me a timeline of symptoms?(normal consumption was at least a 750mL bottle of wine a night, more depending on what mood I'm in) Weekend days I'd go through a whole magnum (1.5L) plus beers

I stopped cold turkey on sunday evening. Monday evening rolls around and I'm a morose motherfucker. My wife is worried, but I stay strong and feel a little better after dinner. I'm still not myself.

This morning I felt a bit more alert than I normally do, but now that it's late morning my head is pounding like a motherfucker. I took three ibuprofen and am chasing it with coffee, which I rarely drink anymore so hopefully that will help. I've had a couple dizzy/disoriented moments but they're over before I know I'm having an issue, maybe half a second.

What else do I have to look forward to? I'm taking this day by day. My wife had a beer last night and it was one of the hardest things to not think about the taste and the sensations without the deepest of longing. I think I really do have a problem :smith:

I want to get better and never drink another drop again, but part of me wonders how much of my personality is the booze? I remember I used to be a really morose and depressive person before the liquor and I'm afraid I'll become him again and drive my wife away. She means everything to me and the thought of losing her is more than I can bear. I need to replace 'sit on couch with TV and liquor' with something constructive after work.:sigh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

scuz posted:

Have you expressed the personality concerns to your wife? How does she feel about your decision to kick the sauce? You mentioned worried, but I wonder why she is worried; if it's for your health or maybe she will have to also stop drinking to support you and doesn't want to do that?

She doesn't like how I become when I'm drunk. I've been pretty much perpetually boozing once I get home for the last five years now, so it's kindof hard to figure out who I'm going to be if I'm not buzzed from 5-8pm every night. I think she'll stop with me if I ask her. I'll have a talk with her tonight so see what she thinks. I think the poo poo is killing me and making me look like rear end.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

scuz posted:

Sounds like she's worried for your health, which is good! Support is good, and it's up to you whether you think you'll be able to dry-out if she's still drinking around you. Try an AA meeting. Start cooking! Hit the weights! Play video games! Play an instrument! Learn sandcasting!

As for symptoms, it seems like they peak around day 5. If you're really struggling with shakes and sweats and that, go see a doc. They'll be happy to help (or at least they should be), and there are meds that'll make the experience more bearable. The most important thing to remember is that you're affecting positive change in your life, and that poo poo takes pain and time and hard work.
That's how I"m looking at this, too. Booze is a cheap and easy medication, but it's 100% the wrong medication every single time.

It's absolutely replacing proper medication. I was on celexa and then was put on wellbutrin over a decade ago for some sadbrain stuff. I had to stop wellbutrin because I couldn't afford it anymore. I started working out to replace it and that worked pretty well. After about four years though I lost my job and my workouts became having to go to work at a much earlier time, for much longer, for half the money.We both fell into boozing in late 2010 because it was a way to escape how much I hated that job at the time. The habit stuck and here we are.I work out a little more, but not consistently. I cook all the time...with a 'cooking beverage' and play vidya games with 'talent juice'. Maybe I'll take my newfound clearness in the evening times and freshen up my programming concepts.

At the moment, work has so few hours that I'm flat broke when I get paid, so new hobbies are a nono. I have more time, but no money, and being outside is like sitting under the devil's sweaty taint in Houston right now. I'll try running after work. That seems to brighten me up. Or run before and lift after. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

E: I finished reading a Star Wars book last night :unsmith: but I'm still a huge nerd for liking the expanded universe :smith:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SuperDucky posted:

Its incredibly disadvantageous to my wallet that I love Halo AND PC gaming. :( I bought an xbone just for Halo:MCC and I bought a GTX970 two nights ago.

I like halo a lot, and the MCC comes with forward unto dawn... I tried to watch that a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. What garbage. Does it get better?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tonight started off nice, was going to go for a nice 20 mile ride with the lads and I was at mile 4 gearing up for a sprint. I was changing hand position from the brifters to the drops to sprint and all of a sudden my front wheel is sideways and I'm on the ground and my hip is killing me. They got me up after I stopped clutching my hip and I was able to hobble to the sidewalk. I told the paramedics and firefighters that I don't want to go to the hospital mostly because I can't afford a trip to the emergency room :smith:

My wife picked me up I applied alcohol to my road rash, which hurts like a motherfucker. My left hip is swelling pretty bad and I can't really do anything with that leg. I don't think I can drive my car for a while. WTF am I gonna do? I need to get to work somehow. I already called in because my wife forbade me from driving. I smacked my head pretty good, but the helmet took the blow. 10 years of hard road riding and this is my first crash. I hurt :qq:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, thanks for those figures STR. I knew bus rides are expensive, but goddamn. I have really nice health insurance, but I really can't afford another red cent of expenses. What I do need is someone to drive my car back from the bike shop. Aint no way I can operate the clutch on my car right now. I dread to think if the roof's been cut or my window broken. Any houston goons wanna help a brother out?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

88h88 posted:

I always wondered why the photos of that were taken from the front and it's because of this reason;

What the gently caress is going on here?!

Looks like droopy the dog

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Gonna see a doctor in an hour, I fear I may have fractured my hip :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Got looked at by the doc and got some x-rays. No hip fracture thank goodness. Bruised bursa that was swelling and pressing on nerves. They gave me a steroid shot and I feel loving fantastic. Can I have steroids every day please?

• Locked thread