Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Anyone have recommendations for decent offline navigation apps for Android? The ones I've tried so far seem to want me to drill down by Country -> State -> County -> Street Name -> Nearest Intersection, instead of just letting me type in a drat address.

My phone is shut off until the rest of my paycheck clears (Friday - after-hours deposits only make $200 available, rest shows up after 2 full business days - I deposited my check at 5:15pm, and I needed to pay more important bills with the $200 they made immediately available), and no wifi at work, so I'm kind of stuck unless I find a decent navigation app.

e: if anyone wants to know why I didn't just wait until business hours to deposit the check (which would have made the full amount available immediately), my medical insurance was going to get cancelled at midnight unless I got caught up. And I slept too late to make that happen today. :sigh:

Dude you need to get an account with a bank or credit union that has a mobile app with remote check capture. I'm sure there's plenty of decent small banks/CUs in DFW that have this and aren't assholes like Wells Fargo. The company I work for has some credit union clients in DFW and, while we don't currently do any of their mobile banking apps, this one and this one do have appear to have mobile deposit. Even if neither of these CUs have branches near where you live/work, after you join you can do whatever you need a branch for at any other credit union that has a sign for CO-OP Shared Branching, or CU Service Centers or however it's currently branded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

I do have a credit union with remote check capture. The problem is, they only make $200 available immediately if you make a deposit via any other means than handing it to a teller or by direct deposit - whether it be via ATM, mobile deposit, etc. My employer doesn't do direct deposit.

ITCU is nearby (the closest branch shares a parking lot with my current credit union actually - Texans), but I left them due to member service issues. I don't qualify for membership with City (I don't live in a county that they serve). I really don't have any complaints with Texans, aside from their online banking being a little laggy in terms of showing transactions where I ran my debit card as credit. That and the >$200 hold. That hold also applies to cash deposits at an ATM, and my stepdad has noticed the same thing with them, so it's not just me.

I would have just waited to take it in today and deposit it in person, but I had to make a payment on my medical insurance by 11:59 PM last night.

Well, it's good to hear that you do have RDC, at least, even with that sucky $200 limit. Since it affects ATM deposits its probably something imposed by your credit union's ACH partner / correspondent service, which is like a credit union for smaller credit unions who don't want to, or aren't big enough to be able to, handle all the inter-bank stuff.

Phone posted:

I forget what the hierarchy looks like; what's worse VAG or FCA?

It should be, without possibility of reprieve or parole, taken from its place to the dilithium mines on the penal asteroid of Rura Penthe the FAW-VW factories in China's Automobile City of Changchun.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

the spyder posted:

I need a new fridge. Our 20 year old Amana is just falling apart. Home Depot has a Samsung on sale, but our drat cabinets are 68" and every fridge I can find is 70". Suggestions? I've resigned to the fact I will be shortening the cabinet above the fridge.

What you should do, short of going with a tape measure to every appliance store, is use a site like AJMadison that has the ability to specify height and width in the search results, like so (fridges 64-68 in tall). And then, figure out who locally has the best deal on the model that fits and you like rather than buying from them because they're pretty shady sometimes. It's like reverse showrooming! Also nthing don't buy a samsung fridge, had one in an apartment a few years ago that broke and took two weeks to get a replacement circuit board. The property manager said that was the second or third time that particular fridge had a problem like that, which was really nice to know after it broke and I couldn't use it for 15 days. Sure it's just a stupid anecdote from someone on the internet, but caveat emptor etc.

Since you seen familiar with CUs. the ones I've used since I've moved here have been Community Credit Union (which changed to a for-profit bank about 13 years ago, and was bought out by Legacy Bank Texas last month), DTCU (Dallas Teachers Credit Union, then changed to Credit Union of Texas, and their online banking is straight from 1996), DATCU (Denton Area Teachers CU, now public), ITCU (InTouch Credit Union, which you suggested), and now Texans CU.

I'm actually really, really tempted to go back to DATCU. I don't live or work in Denton county anymore, but my church is in Denton Co (which qualifies me for membership, even if I wasn't a former member), and they have a branch 30 min from home. I plan to move back up there in the near future anyway.

If you're a former member then you should still qualify for membership, AFAIK. It looks like their main ATM network membership is allpoint, basically any 7-11 ATM is going to be surcharge free, and several others. Their site just directs you to Allpoint's stock ATM locator, which is kind of garbage (building the backend for ATM/branch locators is one of the things I do for work). It doesn't look like they're a member of a shared branching network, so you'd actually have to go up to Denton if you needed something more than an ATM, but I might just not be seeing the right information. And yeah, a lot of small-to-medium credit unions have ancient-looking online banking, usually sold by the same, or a related, vendor to who makes their core — the thing that keeps all the account/transaction balances. But then, if those vendors actually knew how to make good looking, modern, responsive, useful online banking systems I'd be out of a job :smuggo:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Texans is using Digital Insight's online banking platform (which is also used by Legacy Bank, formerly Viewpoint Bank, formerly Community Credit Union). Not sure what their backend is, but I know a lot of the online banking features take you to Intuit-hosted sites, and both Legacy Bank and Texans CU use NCR ATMs (though I'm sure any decent ATM can be setup to communicate with drat near any backend). It'd be nice to be able to manually enter transactions that you know are going to hit (such as an automatic debit, or from swiping your card at the gas pump) like you can with USAA's, I get bit in the rear end now and then when I forgot how much I spent on a fillup.

Yeah, DI used to be owned by Intuit and was recently sold to NCR. FIS, Fiserv, and Jack Henry/Netteller are the other big white-label online banking providers. I'll have to look into what DATCU is using, I'm intrigued. And yes, ATMs can be tied into whichever core banking product, although I wonder if NCR is going to try and figure out some lock-in now that they own DI (their ATMs are better than diebolds, anyway, in my personal opinion. I just code stuff to show where ATMs are, I don't actually have any interaction with the ATMs or their middleware themselves).

CharlesM posted:

Ayyyyyyyyeeee, unlike USB, micro SATA is larger than mini SATA (mSATA). I guess there are adapter boards. I don't know if it's worth it for this thing. Maybe I shouldn't have given away my last working laptop. :D

Hong Kong specials for microsata to MSATA adapters are under ten bucks on eBay, and a name brand like Addonics has an msrp of $22 so if the laptop has relatively usable specs for web browsing otherwise getting something like this plus a msata drive wouldn't be an unreasonable investment.

fjelltorsk posted:

Tesla came trough btw, big time. My dealership pulled some strings with tesla motors. The one they had a line on was lacking some of the options and the wrong colour (black). but it seems a dealership in northern denmark had just taken delivery of a dealer demo with the right colour, all the stuff i wanted and even some more. its a new car, they havent even removed the plastic covering and its got 0 kms on the clock. because i am probably the first customer to buy two p85ds in six months they are eating the cost of the options i would not have ordered and have sorted with my insurer that they are basically borrowing me the car until the insurer pays them directly. I even got a mail from Elon Musk(s pr people, no doubt) wishing me a healty recovery and some other niceties. I guess thats what you get when you spend 250k usd with an upstart. really impressed with Tesla, and even my insurer. The insurance dude looked over the car today, and agreed its fubar.

I talked to one of the FD guys who responded to the accident. apparently the Audis engine entered the cabin :gonk:

In happier news, latest imaging done shows that the cancer is still in on the retreat. we get our new house in three weeks and my wife told me that i should bring my bike on holiday. i figured she would be pissed if i brought it up. but looks like im riding.

There are some real frothing-mouth Tesla/SpaceX/Musk fanboys out there that totally overhype everything, but this some above-and-beyond excellent behavior on Tesla's part. And it's great to hear how well you and your family are doing, all things considered. Although I am slightly concerned that you're going to update next that a meteor destroyed your new dream house, but it's okay because you'll have the ability to rebuild it to your exact specifications.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Do they sell shelf-stable / aseptic packaged milk in the U.S.?

Yeah, you can get UHT milk, it comes in big juice box-style packages but is never with the dairy in the supermarket. I've found it with the almond milk or sometimes with the Goya brand / Latin food stuff.

There's also the old-style evaporated milk in cans that you can mix 50/50 with water, but is normally used in baking. Different from sweetened condensed milk, though. Very different.

• Locked thread