Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

T1g4h posted:

Birthday's in 29 days and i'm gonna be 28, i'm getting old :(

Look at dat babby.

Old crew represent.

Also, it's still almost 3 hours until July in God's favorite timezone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Oh trust me, even knowing the entire case history and the fact that I completed pre-trial diversion in 2009 (just before I reg'd here now I think of it), I was still sweating this up until I saw that email in my box.

Don't break the law kids, but also gently caress unjust laws and DOUBLE gently caress rear end in a top hat county sheriffs looking to pad their arrest record.

My brother was into the weed many years ago, back when they were making the laws stupidly harsh for casual users. He loved to go camping, and he had a Buick station wagon that he used as his camper. Well, one night he was woken up by the sheriff, who of course smelled the weed, which gave him "probable cause" for a search, and of course he found the baggy. The county prosecutor decided that he was going to be their first 'example' case of the new laws, and he got reamed with felony transport (because it was in his car which was acting as his camper), DUI (because he had the keys in the car he was sleeping in out in the woods) and several other dumb charges. They not only prosecuted everything as a Felony, but took his car under those stupid laws. The whole thing was a travesty, and the only reason he didn't go away for a decade or more was my folks ponied up for a good lawyer, and his employer got on board and not only spoke on his behalf, but made some sort of plea to the judge that if he was put in jail, that it would be likely to make his business go under (brother was the guy who maintained *everything* for that company). The judge gave him something like 7 days (which was time served) and a long probation, but he still got stuck with a Felony and lost his car.

So yea, guy who went far away from where he could possibly harm anyone else to smoke a little got the book thrown at him, just because a county prosecutor had a stick up his rear end, and a sheriff decided to wake up a guy camping out in the woods to gently caress his life up.

I've never had the desire to do any drugs, but that poo poo seriously needs to just be legalized to get that crap out of our justice system.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

So, i havent posted i a few days. needed to get my head sorted out. Me and the twin boys was in a fairly brutal car accident a little week ago...

Wow dude. Glad that you and your kids made it through relatively undamaged. Hope the hurt one heals up well.

Sounds like the Tesla did a fantastic job of keeping you guys all safe, something to consider when replacing it, although theoretically your chances of being in another dinger like that should be minimal I hope.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BloodBag posted:

So, when engineering fucks up and draws a part wrong, it's manufactured wrong, but welded on right, the guy doing the welding is responsible? Some penis butt here tried to throw me under the bus for parts not working because the OD is too big. I didn't machine the part, I just welded it, perfectly. Why the gently caress did someone think I hosed this up when I had no part in designing it and did exactly as I was instructed? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

What the guys before me already posted can be summed up in one sentence.

poo poo rolls downhill.

Congratulations for being down-slope.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Skynet's beginning is more subtle than anticipated.

fjelltorsk posted:

The dude driving the Audi had his license revoked nearly on the spot.

Over here in 'Merica they would have issued him a citation for making an illegal pass, given him a few points on his license and said "Try not to attempt to kill anyone else on the road on your drive home".

Glad to hear how well the car held up for you and protected both you and the kids, and good to see you making plans to get back into another one. Wish I could afford one, they are amazing cars.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phone posted:

Send the robot to robot jail.

It's going to spend it's life in a VW factory, isn't that punishment enough?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

General Wiggles posted:

I finally got my paperwork for my new job in Oregon all arranged, and after driving for about 3 and a half hours and covering some 260 miles, my GDCS blew out on the highway. A 620 dollar tow later and I'm back where I started, now minus one working car. July is not shaping up well for me. :(

Those of you on SnapCatte probably saw my sad story.

I have no idea what GDCS stands for, but bummer. That's a hell of a tow bill.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

Tesla came trough btw, big time.

That's awesome, good to see them helping you out!

fjelltorsk posted:

In happier news, latest imaging done shows that the cancer is still in on the retreat. we get our new house in three weeks and my wife told me that i should bring my bike on holiday. i figured she would be pissed if i brought it up. but looks like im riding.

That's even more awesome! :hfive:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'd be terrified being the passenger in your car, too.

But at least you'd be dry!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Oh christ. So a friend of mine just posted on Facebook about getting pulled over, and why it was illegal for the cop to give him a ticket, because he had entered another county. He got out of it without a ticket, probably because (a) he was polite and (b) he was on a motorcycle and actually stopped (and mentioned the cop was letting him go with a verbal warning because he actually stopped).

.... I spent 10 years doing delivery in that city. About half of the land inside the city is in the county he got pulled over in, that suburb can actually lay claim to being one that covers 3 counties. The only thing he MIGHT have been able to use to get out of a ticket is if the cop hit his lights before or after he entered the next city.

The concept of police suddenly not being police when they cross a jurisdiction line is just weird to me. I was born and raised here in Arizona, where all police are certified by the state. No matter where an officer is, he is still a certified LEO, and can issue you a citation (or arrest you, or whatever), anywhere within the entire state. Sometimes agencies discourage their officers from doing that, but legally a county sheriff can cite you in any city or county, city officers can write you up in other cities or in county land, etc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wrar posted:

Big revolvers are always a hoot to shoot.

I thought the same thing until I had an opportunity to play with a .454 Casul. Umm.. nope, that's just not any fun at all. I'll stick with a big rifle if I ever decide I need to hunt an elephant or something (I'd never hunt an elephant).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

While we are talking about big calibers, I really want to shoot .950 JDJ sometime, just once, so I know to never do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

:stare: Not only no, but FUUUUCK.. no.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Still the 4th of July here in desert land, so hopping on the 4th-Gun parade with the best gun for Merica's birthday.

Also, an ugly couch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

For fair comparison, how much would an auto insurance policy with £1 million in coverage cost per month? And would you carry that level of coverage on your bicycle if the monthly premium went from lunch money amounts to a sizeable percentage of your monthly income?

I can't give you a comparison for a million (and I'm too lazy to convert to British weight units) but I carry $500k with full glass, comprehensive, collision, and unisured-underinsured and I pay about $100 per month for a Focus ST. The base Fiesta cost about $65/mo.

I don't have enough assets to bother with an umbrella policy over that, but a friend of mine pays about $150 per year for a $2.5m umbrella policy that will kick in if his other insurance (house or car) is capped out. If I ever manage to drag myself out of debt and collect any sort of real assets, I'll definitely be going that same umbrella policy route.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I drive by it at least once a week. The context missing from everything else is that there's at least four strip clubs on the same road within one mile.

Scottsdale road somewhere near the 202? That's the only place I can think of with that many strip clubs that close together.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Close, and yeah that area might be similarly dense - University between 143 and 10.

Oh yea, I haven't driven in that area for years, so I'd forgotten about the concentration there. That area makes more sense for the car shop too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I woke up yesterday and I felt like slightly dizzy but I figured ah just shake it off go to work etc. Get to work and I feel worse, like I can barely walk and I vomited. Started experiencing a head ache so I am super worried now, figuring something worse. I told the boss and hes like well, you gotta be off 24, blah blah blah. Other wise, hes being a complete oval office to a guy that could be experiencing something serious.

poo poo like this makes me realize how lucky I am with my boss. If I don't feel well, I can just work from home, no big deal. If you are sick enough that you don't really want to work at all, "Hey, that's what we give you sick time for, get some rest and get better". If you come into the office and are appearing sick, coughing, or whatever, you are highly likely to get a "Go the gently caress home. If you feel like working great, do it remote, but get your rear end out of the office instead of being a dumb rear end and spreading your diseases to everyone else here that doesn't want to be sick".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Does anybody itt like their job or telephone???

My job is pretty good (pretty sure I just mentioned today how lucky I am to have the boss I do). It's probably not the most fun job I've ever had, but it probably fits me the best of anything I've ever done, and the pay is the most I've ever made which doesn't hurt either, and after 4+ years here I'm still on a fast track for raises and promotions because it's painfully easy to be 'exceeding expectations' when compared to 75 or 80 percent of the people in the office who are doing a good job, but basically just punching the clock.

I have a Galaxy S3 which (other than the currently cracked glass because I'm apparently not good at gripping a phone) works perfectly fine, and since I own it, I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 9, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the boss said I can leave at 1pm today (work commitments allowing), because we had 2 late nights this week, but I have a meeting at 3pm. I hate people that schedule meetings after lunch on a Friday, why people.. why?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Holy. poo poo.

Holy poo poo indeed. Time to piss off the neighbors, main stereo fired up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kris_b posted:

Awesome, I saw one of this tours shows, and it was amazing.

Roger Waters, or Pink Floyd? I saw the Floyd concert. I think they are the only group that I've seen on multiple concert tours, I'm really not much of a live concert goer, but I'm really glad I got to see Pink Floyd live - The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Division Bell tours. A rare benefit of being one of the oldest guys here I guess. The first tour was back before online ticket sales were really a thing - we camped out in a parking lot for 2 days to get those tickets.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

You have no idea how jealous I am right now.

This subject in the thread reminded me how long it's been since I have really listened to Floyd, so for most of the day while assembling furniture for the hobby room, I've been flexing the main stereo in the other room, which rarely gets used because I'm almost never in there, and I've never listed to the Wall on it. 2400+ glorious watts of Floyd through 4 towers and 2 subs. Hopefully the neighbors like their music too. :v:

I might be somewhat deaf now, but all the furniture is assembled!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

14 INCH SLIT posted:

You captured wild Rosie!

Looks like your pants have captures a large part of the wild Rosie!

Cat hair and dander are why I can never live with one. Even with treatment, I basically can't breath in a 'cat' house, and after about an hour my eyes start to swell closed. If one scratches me, that appendage swells up like a balloon almost instantly. Dunno why, but god decided that cats are my nemesis.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Great Beer posted:

...i have plenty of chances to redline it throughout the night...

...The gas mileage though... Ugh.

Related? Nah, couldn't be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Guys there's this really cute cat on my porch, should I keep it? It doesn't have a collar.

Get out there and pet that thing, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Alternate plan - if you already have anther cat, send it out as an emissary to greet the new fellow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey Phone, I have had you on Ignore for months and you still are still quoting my posts. It's creepy, sad, and annoying. Also, here is a screenshot so you can berate me for not breaking down the $600 I mentioned into specific categories. Guess it's more Fed than MA but that's what happens when you view PDF files at lunch on your phone. Needless to say it's still $600 so gently caress off and stop replying to my posts.

Your overall deduction rate isn't all that terribly out of whack (given you are single like I am). Your FICA, Federal, State look like about 30%. Mine total witholding is 31.2%, which includes 401k and Medical insurance, but both of those come out pre-tax, which reduces the taxable rate. If they were post-tax deductions I'd be up in the 38~39% range, where you are at 40%. Your union dues are dickishly high is your only real issue that I can see (well, on your pay-stub anyway).

If you are getting huge refunds every year, then your W-4 is hosed up though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have annual eye exams covered by my insurance. Most years there is a slight adjustment. Some times it's enough to justify a new prescription, some times it isn't, but the exam is fully covered so I see no reason not to get the exam. My eyes are pretty important to me, and having them checked regularly just seems like a pretty good idea!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Same year versa with 80,000km can be had for $7-8k. When realistically all I need is a driving appliance that is cheap to run and good on gas to shuttle me to school and back, I think I might go with the Nissan. Oh and I have to get an automatic. I've sat in 40kms of rush hour traffic on hwy 1 before. Never again.

Last time I was in a crash I was given a Versa by the rental agency. I drove it far enough to get to the next office of said rental agency and requested a new car, even if I had to pay for an upgrade, because that thing was a terrible pile of poo poo. I had injured my leg in the crash, and for whatever reason, there was simply no seating position in the Versa that didn't cause a great deal of pain in my right leg/knee. It was simply impossible to get into a position where it didn't force my leg into a weird position that would have been really uncomfortable even without the injury. It was terrible in other ways too, but the leg/knee position was the real killer.

Maybe I'm just shaped weird, but make sure you test drive one of those for a reasonable number of miles to make sure it won't be an ongoing torture experiment to drive.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

goatse guy posted:

I don't want to have kids. I thought I would by now, but I don't, because I'm irresponsible, selfish, lack the ability to love unconditionally, and I'm self-aware enough to know I'd make a lovely mom.

Miatas, dogs, and spur-of-the-moment backpacking trips forever.

I need to meet someone like you, because that's pretty much me, except that I'd probably be fine with the unconditional love part if I could ever find a woman who could put up with me long enough for that to be an issue. I'm firmly in the "no desire to have kids" camp, and it's also getting pretty late in life for me in any case, so unless I fall hard for someone who already has kids, it's pretty unlikely I'll ever have to make that decision. I'd probably be a terrible dad too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

The problem is that I've been single for ~6 years and am apparently unable to initiate any kind of long-term relationship. I'd also like at least a couple of years with a significant other before having children, and I don't want to be like 65 when the last kid finally moves out.

I'm approaching 50, so if I had a kid instead of adopting, they would go right from graduating high-school to being my caretaker. No need to ever move out!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yes. Yes he does.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

You, too can live the privileged life of the superducky. Just mosey on down to your local sailing/yacht club on beercan race night (most sailing clubs have this one weeknight a week, ours is Wednesday) find the raciest looking boat you can and ask, " you need crew tonight?" Three years later, with some good coaching and some practice, you'll be traveling all over your region too, because people will be begging you to crew on their race boats. So long as you're decent.

Strangely, there seems to be a startling lack of yacht clubs near the thriving sailing mecca of Buckeye, AZ. :v:

To be fair, there are sailing clubs that do stuff on Lake Pleasant up north of Phoenix, and there are even small boat races on Tempe Town Lake, but I don't think the 'vibe' is anything like what you get, and there is certainly not a yacht club there. :) Also, it would be good if I was 20 or 30 years younger to start!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

"i like this blue one better, try not crashing it dad"

That cracked me up. Also, did I miss it or were there never any updated photo's of the crushed Tesla?

Glad to hear all the great news overall!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

At least at Lake Havasu there is actually a pretty large lake right there. I don't know that the sailing would be very good given it's location, but I know it's one hell of a party-boat mecca at spring break! We went there once when I was a teenager with the family boat, and never returned, it's just a really boring lake without much of interest at all if you aren't a partier. Much better to go up to Lake Powell and explore canyons.

Lake Mead is probably a lot better location for sailing, but if you live in Havasu, it's still a fair drive (over 2 hours) to Mead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

I got a bunch of weird looks and like 2 people have come to talk to me. I am the youngest person in this office by 20 years.

Maybe you'll meet a nice older gentleman? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have no idea what song that is, and based upon that one line of lyrics, I'm pretty glad about that and have no interest in ever hearing it. /oldcodger

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nope.. not clicking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Why doesn't the U.S. have Chip + PIN for credit cards, or something? I literally went through the stolen credit card thing 3 weeks ago, now again. Come on!

The cards are being issued (I've had 2 of mine replaced with chip cards now), but this:

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's coming, but the problem is rolling out a billion devices for merchants to be able to handle them the right way takes a long time.

Is a very real issue. It's going to be forced soon though, as fees will skyrocket for non EMV devices through the processors. I don't remember the actual timing (since I don't work on that area, and all my stuff is already EMV certified), but it's not far off. Eventually the higher fees will outweigh the cost of new devices and the merchants will cave and buy new ones.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I don't know how much of a difference it makes but they're doing chip + signature for my cards vs chip and pin. Nobody looks at signatures so it still seems weak.

I don't know much about the nuts and bolts at the merchant end, I just know that the card brands are driving a change to EMV through increasing fee's, and we've been through several stages of changing our software to support it. We finished and were fully EMV compliant about a year ago, so from our perspective (3rd party processor) it's ready for full chip + pin and has been since last August, or maybe October for a couple pieces. At this point it is simply a matter of the card brands turning the screws down on the fee's to get the acquirers and merchants to comply, although I think at some point there is an actual drop-dead date where compliance becomes mandatory - again from the card brands.

I think the first stage of fees for non-EMV kick in this coming October, so it's not far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Unless your in California, Inn and Out doesn't exist. Which totally sucks, because those are some good burgers Walter. (seriously, they are good)

There are a bunch of In and Out's in Phoenix now, so apparently they are creeping east. Also, I agree that Whataburger is pretty good, and they are all over Phoenix too.

If you want to spend way too drat much for a burger, there are always Ruby Tuesday's and Fuddruckers (although Fuddruckers has Buffalo burgers that are pretty tasty - but still overpriced).

• Locked thread