Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

2/10 not accurate doesn't show the Mountie tasing, framing for terrorism and/or sexually harassing the American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

You're ruining all my conceptions of CANADA.

Canada is pretty rad for the most part (if you can handle the loving winters), it's just that if it weren't for the fact that they ruin people's lives with it, the RCMP is so comically corrupt and inept that you'd think they were part of a bad movie or something. This makes it all the more ironic that when many people around the world think of Canada, a Mountie in red serge is one of the first images that comes to mind.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Ich habe ihn nicht ermorden!
/

Also holy poo poo fjelltorsk I just skimmed your post before but now I sat down and read it in detail...wow, that's an ordeal, for sure. I know you must feel absolutely awful that one of your kids was hurt in the accident, but the way I see it (and the way you should see it too) is that you did pretty much everything right, and were it not for your prompt and decisive actions, things likely would have turned out a lot worse.

Just remember that if you feel the need to talk it over, Dr. AI's office hours are 24/7.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Man I've been watching some of the Month of Zen - Comedy Central is showing all of the Daily Show episodes back-to-back - and all it's doing is making me feel really old. I remember all of this stuff (right now, from the summer of 2001) like it was yesterday.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Happy "gently caress the King" Day, America!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sick day today; spent last night puking my guts up and while I feel more or less OK now, I got about 30 minutes of sleep and are therefore not fit to fly. Plus if it starts again that would be pretty bad.

Adiabatic posted:

Late to the party but here have this:

It's chambered in the one on the right:

(.380 auto, .357 Magnum, 7.62x39, .45-70)

:clint:

Jesus dude do you have a problem with marauding rhinos at your place or something? :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Goddamnit, a water supply line burst on my dishwasher and damned nearly flooded me out of my place this morning. Fortunately I caught it right away, as I was doing dishes by hand at the time and was right beside the thing...had it happened ten minutes later I would have been on my way to work. Dodged a bullet there holy poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why must the DMV be the 7th ring of hell? They have got to find a way to automate this poo poo, or something. Its awful.

I find it ironic that in the land of hot dogs, freedom and capitalism you still have government-provided vehicle registry services, while here in Communist Canada (or at least in pinko Alberta) we privatised our registry services. It takes all of five minutes to renew my driver's licence or pay my vehicle registration; not because they are faster or more efficient, but because there are figuratively a million registry offices around, there's never any line-ups.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Post mortem on the dishwasher incident this morning; I pulled it out and it looks like the coupling between the fastener and the braided stainless line came apart, and it wasn't stressed or kinked or anything. Easy to fix but that really shouldn't have happened. I mean isn't this the very thing that they pretty much banned PEX tubing for?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

They banned PEX? When?

Here in Alberta the insurance companies kicked up a stink over PEX due to water damage claims and had it very severely restricted, and actually banned in some cases.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

PolyB. PEX is fine.

Canada converted from PolyB to PEX very late in the game, decades after we knew it was a ticking time bomb from American homes.

Oh poo poo you're right...for some reason I always confuse those two. Must be all the lead I've absorbed over the years of playing with airplanes :downs:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

the awful app

I've tried it on every one of my Android phones and I pretty much hate the Awful App. What a piece of garbage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

It really works well, what do you not like about it? Only thing I dont like is the PMs don't work at all.

If you've ever used tapatalk for forum browsing you would understand how bad it gets.

I've never used Tapatalk, for the same reason why I don't use the Awful App; to me at least, it offers zero advantages over using the device's web browser to read a forum, especially since mobile Chrome looks and acts basically the way you would expect a miniature version of desktop Chrome would. And in the case of Tapatalk I am not a member in enough forums for it to make sense in that respect.

CharlesM posted:

Do they sell shelf-stable / aseptic packaged milk in the U.S.?

Are you building a bunker in your backyard?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 10, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

^^^There's also powdered skim milk, but that is also more oriented toward cooking rather than drinking.

Bape Culture posted:

Does anybody itt like their job or telephone???

I alternately love and hate my job. I love playing with airplanes, but I hate literally everything else about it.

I do love my Nexus 6 though. After a few months it just feels normal-sized.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

goatse guy posted:

NASCAR or golf.

C'mon now, that's just cruel.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

bandman posted:

Watching the Home Run Derby and I am dying laughing at Chris Berman's horrible combover and shaggy, bald guy mullet thing. I would not be disappointed if a line drive foul hit him in the jaw and he had to have his mouth wired shut, just so he'd shut the gently caress up for once.

One of my friends pointed out that sounds like an engine bouncing off its rev limiter when he does his BACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK

Still can't stand the guy though. gently caress.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So Pluto is pretty neat. New Horizons is pretty neat too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

goatse guy posted:

Oh man. Something even better happened. We walked out to my car, and I drove him back to his parking garage. He opened up the backseat to grab his bag, and he pointed to my backpacking gear and asked why I have a red bandanna tied to my backpack. I joked that it was my gang colors, and he said he was going to borrow it. It's not the first time a man has felt entitled to borrow some of my possessions without actually asking, and I'm sure it happens to the men here too, but it made me so mad.

I didn't tell him why I actually had the bandanna on my backpack. You see, I subscribe to the lightweight school of backpacking -- carry as little as possible. I have done extensive research and shelled out lots of money to save mere ounces on my tent and sleeping bag. I've gone without deodorant and toothpaste because it takes up too much space.

And I don't take toilet paper on the trail. That bandanna was my pee rag. I wiped my butt with that.

Enjoy your bandanna, dude.

Hahaha you literally just dated King PUA of Player Island.

Too bad he got what he had coming for him.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Life is too short to drink lovely beer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Drinking some Anarchist Amber Ale right now, enjoying a night where I don't have anything pressing to do tomorrow and also the first night in like a month where I don't need to mess around with the now-finished SA-GTE thing either.

leica posted:

If you like Bourbon and/or really good ale, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is the poo poo, soooo good.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/portfolio_page/kentuckybourbonbarrelale/?age-verified=f8ec6afaab

That's right up my alley. Too bad I can't get it anywhere within like 1500 miles of where I live :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Speaking of, whats the deal with michael Schumacher? Something about Germany banning unofficial reports about his health. Is he just perma hosed brain damage now?

The family is keeping his health status to themselves, which is perfectly within their right. Anything you hear is pretty much speculation by the media, but it's probably safe to say that he's permanently disabled.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Excellent I will just get a weber kettle. I didn't know if there was better options for charcoal because natural lump, then the others, etc.

The only thing I never cared for off the charcoal grill was chicken, maybe I'm just not as good with it.

Lump charcoal is pretty awesome and I use it a fair bit in my Weber but on the other hand briquettes are just too easy and convenient to ingore (so I use them the most).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jesus gently caress I am in a cranky loving mood today. Doesn't help I had an all-day meeting with Transport Canada today.

All I want to do is go to the gym and have a big lift, then go home and have a beer but those are both off the table because I'm doing an overnight tonight.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Welp got my car hailed on hard today. It has a couple big dents; one on the roof and one on the hood, but considering that the hailstones were apparently golf-ball sized, I'm kind of surprised I didn't come out far worse.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I really want to take a picture with mine balanced on the tip of my dick.

That'd be pretty impressive, balancing one of those heavy looking bottle openers on something that small

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I love me some steak, but it's outrageously expensive these days. I just bought a bunch of AAA ribeyes (God's own cut IMO) for $35/kilogram. And don't even get me started on tenderloin prices; a whole one at Costco these days is like $150-180...a few years ago it would have been $90. :sigh:

That's an awful thin steak there cowboy.

At least you sort of cooked it the second best way; better still is to a) get a thicker steak, and b) cook it the same as you did, but at a much lower temperature, to get the Maillard reaction going real strong on the surface.

Best way to cook steak though is sous vide, if you've got the gear. Holy poo poo I can't even begin to describe how awesome a sous-vide steak is.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 23, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That takes forever. This took 5 minutes and was delicious.

No argument there :v: But seriously, thicker steak, lower temp; trust me on this.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Happy Friday everyone! Time to bust my rear end for the next 8 hours so I can fall asleep on my couch at 8pm after drinking 1 beer.

Welcome to adulthood, please help yourself to a complimentary T-shirt and lanyard, then take your seat in the auditorium.

freelop posted:

Don't have a pizza stone but may get one soon.
My oven goes up to 230C and I can wack the fan on to send it even hotter. Isn't that overkill?
It was only on 200C for that pizza.

Made the dough last Sunday so it had been sitting since then.

As hot as it will go. There are some crazy people out there who disable the locks on the self-cleaning mode and use the 500C goodness that entails, that's how hot you want. For me, 275C is good enough. As for the dough, I like to substitute a cup of durum semolina flour and some white wine for some of the water; I find it makes the thin crust even crispier and airier.

AI foodchat is the best foodchat :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kris_b posted:

You can do it cheaper than $16 on regular public transport services but it's a pain especially after a long flight and requires transferring from bus to train in a somewhat lovely neighbourhood.

Call me naive about New Zealand if you like, but what on earth could possibly constitute a lovely neighbourhood there? Being infested with filthy Hobbitses?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

You could fit an LSX in that thing entirely in front of the front axle and still have space to stand in the engine bay between it and the radiator.

More importantly, you could probably fit an LSx end-to-end with another LSx in that car.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

poo poo 14", that's pretty bad.

In fact it sounds like it's affecting you badly enough that you should consider seeking professional help for yourself. I mean, I'm no psychiatrist but it sounds an awful lot like you've got several of the major symptoms of depression. There's no shame in seeking help; in fact, I would personally call you a stronger person for doing so...it takes some serious guts and self-reflection to be able to sit down and say, "you know what, the way I'm feeling just isn't right, I need to fix what's wrong with me", and then not doing what most people do, which is self-medicate (either with booze or whatever else).

This might sound awfully callous, but you've seen first-hand what happens when you let these things go without treatment. Don't be like that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Look bro if you just want some random music to play you should get napster

Napster? What, is that something like KaZaA?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not too much of a problem really - the content just takes a bit longer to go free.

However they should try Patreon like Chris Harris did. he's up to about 6K a video which has to be more than the alternatives. RCR also got good funding via Patreon too - Roadkill could eaaaasily get a few grand per month, likely a whole lot more.

The difference here is that Harris and RCR are independents, whereas Roadkill is part of a pretty big media conglomerate. Pretty sure Patreon won't touch them.

Of course Roadkill is so popular they could just go their own way with Patreon, but that would probably mean giving up their jobs at Hot Rod and I don't think either of them are keen on doing that.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 29, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So it's one of those unwritten rules that when you're at the gym and there's only one other person working out that they want to use the exact same piece of equipment as you do at that exact time, right?

I mean I'll work in but I don't want to spend like five minutes waiting on the other guy to finish his set.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone else waiting a little longer for Windows 10? I'm waiting for everything to get smoothed out.

I don't have a choice in the matter, apparently. The app keeps telling me that I'm eligible for upgrade and that's it...no option to download or anything.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

MS is rolling it out in phases, starting from this week until September, I believe.

Would YOU want your data centers being hammered by potentially billions of people downloading Windows 10 all at the same time? I think that would bring even Google to its knees.

Well that's so glaringly obvious it stands to reason why it never occurred to me :downs:

Oddly enough, I got the go-ahead to upgrade overnight. It's like they heard me whining!

Wait a sec...:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

The amiga is superior
:goonsay:

Also fram filters suck, sous de vide, veganism and gently caress your sports team, here is how fast my internet connection is and your web browser is trash

Well you covered most of the topics...what are your thoughts on vaping?

• Locked thread