Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In the neverending quest to find a route to/from school that doesn't involve toll roads, I tried a road that's mostly industrial. I knew it was closed because of high water last month, but we haven't had a decent rainstorm in awhile.

:ohdear: This... this may not be such a good idea. Wait, is that a CAR?

Car. One that looks like it was fully submerged at one point. :stare:

I did a "oh hell no" and turned around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dannywilson posted:

Is... Is that salt? :stonk:

Mud/sand. We've had more rain so far this year than all of last year combined, it has caused a ton of flooding. There's still a lot of lakefront recreation areas closed due to high water around the state, but particularly in/around DFW. Trucks are still using this road quite a bit from the looks of it, so a lot of that is just mud that's been splashed on the car as they drive by. Looks like it's been clipped at least once now too, though it's well off the road (may not have been before getting clipped).

I'm pretty surprised the city has left that car sitting for so long. Up close you can see water marks on it as the water receded, so it's been there at least a couple of weeks.

This particular road (Luna Rd in Dallas, between NW Highway and Royal Ln, for DFW goons) runs near a river that was way above flood stage during the worst of it. I just checked, it's still a bit above flood stage at the nearest NWS measurement point (which is several miles north).

Arriviste posted:

That is some beautiful, eerie poo poo right there. GTFO, indeed.

If you want eerie, I used to do urbex all the time, and have quite a few creepy photos on various websites.

My favorite site to visit is an old meat packing plant that shut down in the... early 70s? It was, at one time, a filming location for Prison Break. Sketchy as poo poo to get in now though (lots of cops always around, and it's so overgrown that it's way too easy to fall into one of the many pits on the property), so I haven't been in several years.

And congrats on the judge letting you drive!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

DUI (because he had the keys in the car he was sleeping in out in the woods)

This is really common if you get caught sleeping in your car and there's ANY suspicion you may be under the influence of something (and you have keys on/near you - "near" being anywhere in the passenger compartment, generally).

I've wound up sleeping a few hours in my car after leaving a bar more than a few times, but I always lock the keys in the trunk for this very reason. That way the keys aren't on your person, nor are they within reach of you, and you can always hit the trunk release on the dash/floor/glove box/etc to get to them once you've sobered up. Or if you can't do that, you can always lock the main keys in the trunk, and hide a spare somewhere outside of the car (to open the trunk).

Of course, at that point, you're still going to get a public intox, since the cop is already obviously looking for something to nail you with, and they may still try to hit you with a DUI, but it's a lot easier to fight when the keys weren't even on you or in the passenger compartment.

That all goes out the window if there's :420: involved, but even when camping, I try to bring as little as possible with me, and keep it in something a little beefier than a sandwich bag when it comes to odor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone have recommendations for decent offline navigation apps for Android? The ones I've tried so far seem to want me to drill down by Country -> State -> County -> Street Name -> Nearest Intersection, instead of just letting me type in a drat address.

My phone is shut off until the rest of my paycheck clears (Friday - after-hours deposits only make $200 available, rest shows up after 2 full business days - I deposited my check at 5:15pm, and I needed to pay more important bills with the $200 they made immediately available), and no wifi at work, so I'm kind of stuck unless I find a decent navigation app.

e: if anyone wants to know why I didn't just wait until business hours to deposit the check (which would have made the full amount available immediately), my medical insurance was going to get cancelled at midnight unless I got caught up. And I slept too late to make that happen today. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

The scion xb looks like a golf ball with all those dents...
The euro cars faired munch better, but are still going to need a lot of work.

You did have comprehensive on everything, right?

... right? :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bennyfactor posted:

Dude you need to get an account with a bank or credit union that has a mobile app with remote check capture. I'm sure there's plenty of decent small banks/CUs in DFW that have this and aren't assholes like Wells Fargo. The company I work for has some credit union clients in DFW and, while we don't currently do any of their mobile banking apps, this one and this one do have appear to have mobile deposit. Even if neither of these CUs have branches near where you live/work, after you join you can do whatever you need a branch for at any other credit union that has a sign for CO-OP Shared Branching, or CU Service Centers or however it's currently branded.

I do have a credit union with remote check capture. The problem is, they only make $200 available immediately if you make a deposit via any other means than handing it to a teller or by direct deposit - whether it be via ATM, mobile deposit, etc. My employer doesn't do direct deposit.

ITCU is nearby (the closest branch shares a parking lot with my current credit union actually - Texans), but I left them due to member service issues. I don't qualify for membership with City (I don't live in a county that they serve). I really don't have any complaints with Texans, aside from their online banking being a little laggy in terms of showing transactions where I ran my debit card as credit. That and the >$200 hold. That hold also applies to cash deposits at an ATM, and my stepdad has noticed the same thing with them, so it's not just me.

I would have just waited to take it in today and deposit it in person, but I had to make a payment on my medical insurance by 11:59 PM last night.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Darchangel posted:

Is that the one over in north Fort Worth, across the road from a dude ranch?

Nope. This is a bit south of 635, in Dallas, close to Farmer's Branch.

fjelltorsk posted:

to clear up, we where driving on a road where overtaking is legal, except when in no pass zones. this bend is a no pass zone and it is marked as a hazardous corner with a 30km/h suggested speed (very common sign in Norway, sharp turn with suggested 30) The dude driving the Audi had his license revoked nearly on the spot. but as his friend was paralized and airlifted and they both had to be cut out of the car. (rolled roof, fast extract with two trucks pulling for those playing armchair firefighters) i guess they waited untill on the hospital. the driver of the semi gave a statement to the police that probably carried more weight than mine sine i was in full "he nearly killed my kids" mode when first interviewed by the cops.

Regarding talking to tesla, i have actually filled out a form and made a statement that they requested. I was really impressed with the way the cabin held up from the crash. i dont have any pictures atm but i will try to grab some when i get to empty my car at the lot. the footwell stayed nearly true to shape and my feet are only bruised lightly. My face is kinda messed up from debris and airbag deployment and i can feel every fiber of my chest from the belt tensioner. I was probably able to reduce the kinetic energy somewhat buy putting my car in the barrier on the left. unfortunately this made for a pretty solid overlap on the fronts. probably should have stood my ground. The thing that impressed me the most was that all four doors on the tesla opened, and two of them acutally closed and locked.

Glad to hear you and the kids walked away from that with just some broken bones. That's about the best outcome you can possibly get from a head on accident... as the driver/passenger of the Audi learned.

Look at it this way, if you had stood your ground and not tried to swerve, you may have been spun into the truck (if you were, then possibly a lot harder).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bennyfactor posted:

Well, it's good to hear that you do have RDC, at least, even with that sucky $200 limit. Since it affects ATM deposits its probably something imposed by your credit union's ACH partner / correspondent service, which is like a credit union for smaller credit unions who don't want to, or aren't big enough to be able to, handle all the inter-bank stuff.

I also have a USAA account, but they won't let me use RDC. They claim it's because of "hundreds of overdrafts in the past two years"... when I can count overdrafts on one hand (one is too many, but if I'd had "hundreds of overdrafts", wouldn't I have been dinged for more than 3 NSF fees? Their statements are incredibly terse and don't show running balances anyway). Seriously starting to hate USAA at this point, the only thing I really like about them at this point is if you run a debit card as credit at a gas pump, the final amount still shows up within 5 minutes.

And yeah, it's probably something above the credit union. Texans is one of the older CUs in North Texas (they date back to 1953), but they came very close to bankruptcy several years ago, got taken over by NCUA, and returned to local control a few years ago. NCUA has also sued the former CEO of Texans CU for poo poo dating back to well over 10 years ago. Texans is actually pretty average sized in terms of local credit unions; a big part of my decision of going with them is they have those ATMs that accept cash/check deposits directly, instead of needing every deposit to be hand-approved. AFAIK they're the only credit union in my immediate area (there's 3 CUs in my immediate area that are local) that has those ATMs.

I try to stick with credit unions in general. My favorite to date has been DATCU (Denton Area Teachers Credit Union); I'm still eligible in two ways - I'm a former member, and I "worship" in Denton county - but the closest branch is 30 min away, and their ATMs don't have the money gobblers at the ATM. Their online banking beats the poo poo out of anything I've ever used at any bank/CU, even USAA (which beats the poo poo out of Chase).

Since you seen familiar with CUs. the ones I've used since I've moved here have been Community Credit Union (which changed to a for-profit bank about 13 years ago, and was bought out by Legacy Bank Texas last month), DTCU (Dallas Teachers Credit Union, then changed to Credit Union of Texas, and their online banking is straight from 1996), DATCU (Denton Area Teachers CU, now public), ITCU (InTouch Credit Union, which you suggested), and now Texans CU.

I'm actually really, really tempted to go back to DATCU. I don't live or work in Denton county anymore, but my church is in Denton Co (which qualifies me for membership, even if I wasn't a former member), and they have a branch 30 min from home. I plan to move back up there in the near future anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the spyder posted:

I need a new fridge. Our 20 year old Amana is just falling apart. Home Depot has a Samsung on sale, but our drat cabinets are 68" and every fridge I can find is 70". Suggestions? I've resigned to the fact I will be shortening the cabinet above the fridge.

We ran into the exact same issue (along with depth issues) when our old fridge crapped out (compressor was having issues starting, and would often take so long to start that the fridge would get up to 60+).

Turns out they were including the handles in the measurements (which can easily add an inch to the top). Take a tape measure with you just to be safe, but you'll probably find that a "70 inch" fridge will fit into your 68" cutout just fine. Just measure from floor to the top of the body, and make sure the levelers are screwed all the way in (leaving it sitting on its wheels). And obviously measure your cutout from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet. Subtract 1/8" or so to leave enough room to maneuver it easily.

I'd personally avoid Samsung and LG. They look nice, but they're known for failing just outside of warranty, and for generally being expensive to repair. Most brands you'll find in the US that you typically associate with US companies have been purchased by Electrolux or Whirlpool at this point (with Whirlpool owning most of them - including Amana; GE's appliance division was very recently sold to Electrolux). If you go to Ikea, their appliances are also Whirlpool. Same if you go with Home Depot's store brand (Admiral, though obviously Admiral wasn't always exclusive to HD - Admiral is also owned by Whirlpool at this point). Whirlpool and GE are the two main companies behind Kenmore (which to the best of my knowledge, has never manufactured anything on their own, they just re-badge major appliances as Kenmore).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: ^^^^^^ it's not a 2.5" or mSATA drive, it's 1.8", which is an oddball form factor. Got that much just by typing the p/n into Google.

Ugh. Ignored the tire with a nail in it just a bit too long. Started losing air really quickly today. Discount was reluctant to patch it since it was down to 3/32 (at its highest spot), but said they would if I couldn't afford a new tire right then on the spot. That tire has a nasty flat spot on it, so I wanted to replace it anyway. Their initial price was $2 more than what I had on me (my tips from today), so the guy at the counter worked some kind of voodoo magic to get it down a little more. So one new tire today, and I go back sometime next week to get the other front tire replaced (which is equally worn and flatspotted). 2 1/2 hour wait though :stonk: - I was bullshitting with the manager at one point while waiting, and I asked him what time he thought everyone would actually go home. "I brought a sleeping bag with me." drat. I got there a little after 4, and left around 6:30 - 30 minutes after close - and every bay was still full, with a parking lot of cars waiting.

Lightbulb Out posted:

edit: It even says what it is thing 128gb uSATA MLC

uSATA seems to mean 1.8" form factor? I'd never even heard of it until I googled the part #.

CharlesM posted:

Well I've looked at the service manual etc, they all say 4GB max but sometimes stuff works anyway...

I didn't realize it had a 1GB chip on the board. I doubt it'd work with 9GB. Oh well.

What form factor is this drive?

It doesn't look like the mSATA when I look at those on Newegg, etc.

Typing the model # into Google says it's a 1.8" thin uSATA drive (the gently caress is that?). Looks like it's something only Dell, Sony, and IBM used. 64GB and 128GB are the most common ones, they get incredibly expensive once you pass that mark if you can find them. The 128GB ones are dirt cheap on ebay, but anything bigger is going to be pretty expensive. I found some adapters that will let you fit a mSATA drive into a uSATA slot, if that helps - the uSATA drives are obscenely expensive compared to nearly every other type.

Go to crucial.com and either punch in the specs, or use the system analyzer. It'll tell you what RAM they've confirmed will work with it. You'll definitely need a 64 bit OS install to take advantage of anything over 4GB total.

Fo3 posted:

I used to repair samsung whitegoods.
I own a LG washer and dishwasher. I find LG more reliable honestly, and spare parts are insanely cheap compared to other brands when dealing with out of warranty repairs at least too.

That said, it's all much of a muchness, I would buy a samsung fridge if I had the money for a new large side by side one (depending on model - twin cool only) because I know the devils.
What matters most is buy something that has local backup, repairers and spare parts stocking to where-ever you live, or a retailer that will exchange/replace things that fail under warranty .
I'm comfortable with either because I know how they work, and would edge towards LG first unless samsung's price and features were heaps better E: and I knew there was a local repairer that could fix them and have spare parts in a day or so - it's not always the case though.

Samsung and LG both have such a small (but rapidly expanding) footprint in the US whitegoods market that parts generally have to be ordered - often from out of state, sometimes from Korea. Both have a pretty terrible reputation for reliability with their refrigerators. I would imagine they've been in Australia for much longer, particularly with washers/dryers, as front load washers seem to be much more common there.

Darchangel posted:

Huh. Hadn't seen/heard of that one.
Swift meat packing plant near the Stockyards is the one I mentioned, as it's the one (or one of?) they used for Prison Break:
http://rust2.com/?p=612

What's the problem with Chase's online banking? I don't have any problem with them, though I may have low expectations.
I love the ability to deposit checks from my phone, for instance.

I was tired as hell and thought you were referring to Luna Rd for some reason. :downs:

Yeah, Swift is what I was talking about. I've been there plenty of times over the years. This is a set of photos from my last visit, circa 2010.

Chase's online banking was never bad, though honestly it's been so long since I told Chase to go gently caress themselves that I don't really remember what I disliked about their online system. Pretty much every bank/CU these days should offer mobile deposit; I know Texans CU (primarily Collin County) does. I had massive issues with Chase's customer service and draconian fees, since I don't keep enough money in the bank they wanted to charge a monthly fee. I don't like monthly fees for a basic checking account, especially when they're already getting a per-swipe fee for every debit/credit transaction I make (I generally pay with my debit card, makes it easier to keep track of how I'm spending my money). I average at least a few card swipes a day; I know a good chunk goes to middlemen, but they're still getting a decent chunk. My CU gives you free checking if you just sign up for paperless statements.

bennyfactor posted:

If you're a former member then you should still qualify for membership, AFAIK. It looks like their main ATM network membership is allpoint, basically any 7-11 ATM is going to be surcharge free, and several others. Their site just directs you to Allpoint's stock ATM locator, which is kind of garbage (building the backend for ATM/branch locators is one of the things I do for work). It doesn't look like they're a member of a shared branching network, so you'd actually have to go up to Denton if you needed something more than an ATM, but I might just not be seeing the right information. And yeah, a lot of small-to-medium credit unions have ancient-looking online banking, usually sold by the same, or a related, vendor to who makes their core — the thing that keeps all the account/transaction balances. But then, if those vendors actually knew how to make good looking, modern, responsive, useful online banking systems I'd be out of a job :smuggo:

DATCU had one of the best online banking systems I've ever used (one I've never seen elsewhere), the only one that was comparable is USAA's. And you're right in that they're not part of shared branching. I think Texans can receive shared branch deposits, but you can't make them from Texans? And Texans is also on Allpoint.

Even if I can't rejoin just because I was a member at one time (I do think you're right on that one though), one of their qualifications is "attend church in Denton County". Once I have a job with direct deposit, I'll probably go ahead and re-open my old account.

Texans is using Digital Insight's online banking platform (which is also used by Legacy Bank, formerly Viewpoint Bank, formerly Community Credit Union). Not sure what their backend is, but I know a lot of the online banking features take you to Intuit-hosted sites, and both Legacy Bank and Texans CU use NCR ATMs (though I'm sure any decent ATM can be setup to communicate with drat near any backend). It'd be nice to be able to manually enter transactions that you know are going to hit (such as an automatic debit, or from swiping your card at the gas pump) like you can with USAA's, I get bit in the rear end now and then when I forgot how much I spent on a fillup.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If the SSD is dead, just google the part number and follow the first ebay link. They're all over ebay for <$50.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What year is the xB? Might be a write-off, but worth buying back if the glass damage is minimal.

The last adjuster I worked with owned a few body shops before he got into claims, and seemed to know his stuff pretty well. Especially when it came to how well 3rd party vs OEM parts fit, and specced OEM for a few parts that he knew would be a PITA to make look right.

Also gave me some good advice. "The insurance company doesn't care if you fix it or not, as long as you don't try to file a claim for the same damage again - in their eyes, you'll be made whole by the check - so if you decide not to fix it, consider the check as covering the depreciation from the damage". I took that advice to heart (and might have used a chunk of the check to actually get the car running again, it hadn't moved under its own power in over a month). In my case, someone whacked it in a parking lot hard enough to push the back end into the next parking space, and to cave in the RR door and a bit of the rear quarter panel.

Isn't the csi black? I would think bright daylight would help with spotting hail damage on anything that's not white. Or am I thinking of someone else's csi?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ugh. I started smelling gas around the back of my car today. Pretty strong smell, but can't pinpoint if it's the driver or passenger side. There's a TSB about the filler neck cracking, but that would also trigger an EVAP leak code, and there's no pending codes in the ECU.

I'm going to have to crawl under it and see if something got pinched/crushed when Discount Tire had it yesterday. I didn't get to see if they put it on one of their mini lifts or had to lift it with jacks, since I was waiting for nearly 3 hours (never saw it get pulled in/out).

Went out and blew some cash on fireworks. The last time I bought fireworks, there's always been somewhere along a highway to shoot them, so I asked the sheriff in the parking lot where I could shoot them off legally. "You gotta have a buddy that owns land in an unincorporated area - you can't shoot them from any public property, and every city around here bans them".

Whaaaat?! When I was growing up, we used to just shoot them off from the side of the highway outside of town. And it's a $2500 fine if you get caught possessing them in most cities in TX. I asked if I could shoot them by the lake, they said that since that's US Army Corps of Engineers property, that's a "hell no".

There used to be a fireworks stand about 3 miles down the road from there that had a huge field (~25 acres) you could fire them off in, but that area got annexed into the nearest city last year.

QuarkMartial posted:

Apparently we also started stocking intake manifolds for the newer Ford V8s. They're plastic, crack easily, and do so enough that it's actually a fiscally good decision for an auto parts store to stock them instead of having them only at regional hubs. Who knew :v:

Hopefully the Dorman replacement - they're supposed to be a lot stronger.

bennyfactor posted:

Yeah, DI used to be owned by Intuit and was recently sold to NCR. FIS, Fiserv, and Jack Henry/Netteller are the other big white-label online banking providers. I'll have to look into what DATCU is using, I'm intrigued. And yes, ATMs can be tied into whichever core banking product, although I wonder if NCR is going to try and figure out some lock-in now that they own DI (their ATMs are better than diebolds, anyway, in my personal opinion. I just code stuff to show where ATMs are, I don't actually have any interaction with the ATMs or their middleware themselves).

At least from a user interface standpoint, I do prefer the NCRs over any others I run into (and most NCR ATMs I see seem to all use the same UI, just with the colors changed around for that particular bank). My biggest gripe about the newest NCR ATMs is their bill acceptors (for deposits) seem to jam or miscount really easily when first deployed; one of Texans' ATMs jacked about $50 over a month from me, and while I did get the money back, it was a pain in the dick having to wait for them to audit it (and it would sometimes start spitting bills back out.. one at a time.. with no warning, AWESOME when it's windy). This has happened at pretty much every branch since they upgraded to the latest models.

DATCU uses Hyosung, which I'd never even heard of before I joined. The UI of an 80s Diebold - I'm sure they COULD make the interface nicer, but I'm guessing they just don't care enough to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

I hate to be a debbie downer, but godspeed the day fireworks are banned period. Yes, let's put notable amounts of thermite and low explosives in the hands of idiots, and set the holiday they're to be used on in the driest and windiest part of the year, and make the holiday one of the biggest drinking days of the year, there's no way this can go wrong.

I loved them when I was a kid, but I'm in my mid-thirties now and I value having all ten fingers and a house that hasn't burned down. Leave the pretty explosions to experts.

e. note that I live in a town that was half-destroyed in a wildfire last year, and it turns out the cause was a drug-using parent letting their "emotionally troubled" child play with year-old fireworks. So I'm probably biased.

I avoid the big poo poo, and I've always tried to remain responsible with them. Always keeping a bucket of sand handy, etc. I don't do artilleries or anything like that, just basic firecrackers, sparklers, etc. I keep my fireworks pretty drat boring.

The exception being roman candles - it's entirely too much fun to have a good old roman candle fight with friends. Just make drat sure you're wearing at least 2 shirts, and not wearing shorts... though these days someone will call the cops immediately anyway.

I wish I'd just gone for sparklers, I can at least get really creative with photography with them. I have some morning glories, but not a whole bunch (I think I got a dozen) - I'll probably grab more tomorrow.

Mid-late 30s here, not that it really matters much.

We can buy fireworks from ~June 24th(?) to July 4th, and also around New Years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 4, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pretty pissed off at this sunburn.

Itches like hell, peeling, but scratching is not an option. And I have these weird white streaks/patches on my arms and neck now (not related to peeling). :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally saw a document at work that shows how the owner came to decide upon how much we should be paid per delivery. Supposedly this document is supposed to be readily available, but I've never seen it even when asking about it; pretty sure it was left out on accident.

It lists every car associated with every employee that's qualified to deliver, along with expected miles for its age, and "Kelley Blue Book Value". And "Depreciation per mile".

We have 3 employees with 2015 Fords, and 1 with a 2014 Ford. There's a 2014 and 2015 Ford Mustang 5.0, and two 2015 Ford Focus STs. The 2015 5.0 is listed as being worth $17k, and has under 500 miles on the odometer (it's also loaded with drat near every option). The 2014 is shown as worth $10k. The Focus STs are shown as worth $13k (both have under 1k on the odometers). :what: The company has the full VINs, so it's not like KBB can't figure out the trim levels.

They actually listed $0 as the value for a driver's 1997 Saturn, and showed its expected mileage to be around 190k (it has 300k). Then showed a little north of $500 for the value of someone else's 1987 Oldsmobile, showing 390k miles (it has an honest <80k, literally "little old lady drove it to church and back" car, though it's more iron oxide than steel since he bought it in Michigan - ice cold a/c though).

Apparently what we get paid per delivery varies depending upon how new our cars are, and it's different for every store now (it used to be the same at every store he owned in the area, except for one that had a huge delivery area).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh christ. So a friend of mine just posted on Facebook about getting pulled over, and why it was illegal for the cop to give him a ticket, because he had entered another county. He got out of it without a ticket, probably because (a) he was polite and (b) he was on a motorcycle and actually stopped (and mentioned the cop was letting him go with a verbal warning because he actually stopped).

.... I spent 10 years doing delivery in that city. About half of the land inside the city is in the county he got pulled over in, that suburb can actually lay claim to being one that covers 3 counties. The only thing he MIGHT have been able to use to get out of a ticket is if the cop hit his lights before or after he entered the next city.

The Locator posted:

But at least you'd be dry!

So they make interior splash guards now?

:haw:

(it's gonna take at least 6 months for us to kick this dead horse, isn't it?)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

Huh, I always figures sparklers were non-iron thermite. Nope, metal for fuel but potassium nitrate for the oxidizer.

I remember a long (very long) time ago trying to put out a sparkler by burying it in sand.

Pulled it out. Still burning. Poured sand on it, stomped on it. Pulled it out, STILL BURNING. :wtc:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit. Got under the car today to see if I could figure out where the gas smell is coming from.

It's coming from the area around the tank for sure. All of the hard lines are in good shape, and nothing was damp, so it's probably the feed or return line leaking where they connect to the pump. There's a TSB for the filler neck cracking (and an actual recall, but it only applies to cars registered in desert states), but you get at least one evap code when it cracks. No codes whatsoever in the ECU, pending or otherwise.

With my luck, there's probably not an access panel to get to the pump from inside the car. At least it looks really easy to remove - 1 dust shield, 1 strap. And probably some specialty "quick release" tools that are anything but.

The Locator posted:

The concept of police suddenly not being police when they cross a jurisdiction line is just weird to me. I was born and raised here in Arizona, where all police are certified by the state. No matter where an officer is, he is still a certified LEO, and can issue you a citation (or arrest you, or whatever), anywhere within the entire state. Sometimes agencies discourage their officers from doing that, but legally a county sheriff can cite you in any city or county, city officers can write you up in other cities or in county land, etc.

Generally cops in TX stick to their city, but for felony stuff, no questions asked, they take action even if they're off duty. For traffic stuff you're generally safe if you're not in the city they work in.

One thing that always amused me when I lived on campus at UNT - the drunk students always seemed to forget that university cops are state cops and not overgrown security guards, and have jurisdiction state-wide (and oh boy they really hate when you call them a school cop). So when your drunk rear end is stumbling home from a bar, even though you're off campus, you're gonna get hassled.

Funny thing is, Denton cops never went on campus - technically the campus is inside the city of Denton, but I guess they figure the university cops can handle it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Only about half of the state is desert. :v:

Although I just checked the GM owner center, and it looks like there's actually an extended warranty in place for this exact issue (lifetime!). It was originally for cars in Arizona and Nevada only.

Going to call Saturn's owner service # and see what it'll take to get it fixed. The letter states the entire fuel pump assembly has to be replaced.

e: holiday. :doh: I'll call them Monday. I know I'm going to get the runaround if I show up at a dealer without verifying my car is covered by this.

e2 for service bulletin - the link from the GM owner center took me straight to NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm435709/rcmn-12v459-5432.pdf

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

This is because cops generally loathe traffic stops unless they lead to DUIs or drug busts, and do as few of them as they can get away with.

:stare:

Every time I left on a delivery today, I saw cars pulled over. Generally I see people stopped every other delivery.

The cops in that town really don't have much else to do.

I did see one fine upstanding individual essentially idling down a major road (I'd guess he was doing a bit under 10 MPH). Said "STR, I bet someone rearends him pretty soon. I'll call the police when I'm done with this delivery if I see him again on the way back". Turns out his trunk was putting out a mating call for an F-150, and a F-150 was more than happy to oblige. A cop was already behind me when I saw this X rated car scene, so he stopped to join in on the fun. On the delivery after that, the F-150 had finished its mating ritual and left under its own power, while what was left of the sodomized Suzuki was surrounded by 3 police cars. It got a bit kinky after that, I saw some handcuffs out, and decided it would be better if I pretended I saw nothing.

On the other hand, I saw a sheriff who definitely fit your description. I got stuck behind an Escalade that couldn't stay in their lane (2 lane road, they were more on the shoulder than the road) and was going ~20-40 under the speed limit depending on their mood at that exact second (60 mph farm to market road). No passing area, of course, and a huge line of cars behind him (I was the first car behind him). We passed a sheriff. The sheriff didn't do jack and/or poo poo. The only reason that jackass in the Escalade didn't get called in is I was in the middle of nowhere and didn't even know what town I was in, or the name number of the road I was on. I can only guess the sheriff thought that giant Escalade might sodomize his poor little Explorer, since the Escalade was almost completely on the shoulder and doing half the speed limit as we passed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 5, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ssjonizuka posted:

Vacation starts Thursday. Week at the beach in NC. So what do I do today? Slice my drat right hand open on the knuckle. I imagine ill find some sort of watertight bandage I can get over it, but gently caress. It's my dominant hand. Gimping around one handed sure is fun waiting for it to close up enough to put something better than gauze over it.

Sup sliced open hand buddy? Sliced the poo poo out of my thumb a few hours ago while using scissors instead of proper wire strippers, from the nail down the side about 2 inches. Hurt like a motherfucker (and the tramadol I had on hand is starting to wear off, so it's starting to hurt again), and took entirely too long to stop bleeding.

I get to ask my boss for a new uniform shirt on my next shift, since I was still wearing my work shirt, and wound up pulling it off and wrapping my thumb to try and stop the bleeding.

All of the wires I was trying to strip are now color coded "blood red". The best part? They were part of direct burial sprinkler wires that got sliced by a family member when he decided it was time to redo the front yard, so I was stripping wires that were in dirt. He thought the wires were roots while digging up the yard to lay down sod. :downsgun: Glad I've had a tetanus shot in the past decade..

(don't use scissors to try to strip wires or rip cable jackets - I spent 30 seconds looking for my wire strippers, didn't find them immediately, and decided it would be easier to use scissors)

I probably should have gotten a few stitches.

The funny part? My stepdad asked me "so have you ever sliced your hand open when you're trying to rip cable with scissors?" about 10 seconds before the scissors slipped. My immediate reaction after slicing my thumb was "you had to loving say that", I feel a bit like an rear end in a top hat after dropping that line... :smith: He's actually showing real emotion for the first time in a long time, and I'm getting mothered to death by both my mother and stepdad now.

Let me give you a hand (linked for those with light stomachs, but it's just my hand with a bandage and a bit of dried blood)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, the upside is it's not my dominant hand.... but it's still my thumb, which is going to make doing anything that requires both hands a complete bitch for several days Good thing I'm average white guy in the male department? Admit it, you at least chuckled a little... Looking at it now, I definitely should have gotten stitches (bitch is STILL leaking precious red poo poo), but :laffo: at the thought of how much it would cost to get stitches at 11pm. I already owe about 2 full paychecks to a hospital as it is.

I've managed to make it bleed pretty bad again twice so far. I don't mean "poo poo, it's leaking a little blood", I mean "poo poo, blood is rapidly dripping off of my hand, it's not quite a lawn sprinkler again, but the red poo poo is definitely escaping at a rapid pace". If the nurses at my doctor's office could nail a vein that accurately for blood draws, I would die a happy man - they always stick a needle in, the vein says "lol nope", and instead of sticking me again, they always say "your veins want to say it's time to play go fish" and dig around in my arm :fuckoff: :supaburn: :fuckoff: :suicide: and leave me looking like a rookie heroin addict for weeks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So our shop bitch managed to blow a motor on a 2015 Town and Country doing an oil change, and my manager is sitting here trying to see if filling it with mechanic in a bottle will fix it out of sheer desperation and it's just knock knock knock knock knocking away in the bay, a much older T&C goes driving past making the same noise and I pointed out with the heat it must be mating season for them, they're calling to each other. Sort of like down in the desert when all the tarantulas come out. My boss goes oh yeah I've seen that when they come crawling out of those little holes as the sun goes down.

I managed to hit him broadside with "well technically my hole is usually that size but once you cram as many tarantulas in there as I have *makes a circle gesture with fingers about the size of a grapefruit* poo poo looks like a bloomin onion that waves at you."

Boss: :stonk:

I laughed way too hard at this. I'm going to have to remember that and use it on my boss.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I use scissors ar work that are able to cut through kevlar. They just cut through half of my thumb. Gonna super glue this bitch shut if I keep soaking through Bandaids like this.

Sup sliced thumb buddy.

drat gauze+tape came off overnight. My sheets look like Aunt Flo condensed Shark Week into Shark Night.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I finally went to an eye doctor last summer (on my birthday, actually), specifically to get a script I could use to order glasses online.

Eye doctor told me my vision had barely changed, I needed "1 click" on one eye. Whatever a click is. And that was a 5 year old prescription she was basing that on. But thanks to medical issues, I'm supposed to get my eyes checked every year now.

My BCBS insurance knocked :10bux: off of the exam. loving :laffo:, but $10 is $10, and I don't actually have vision insurance, just a vision discount attached to my medical insurance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, you have the accent that matches those individuals, therefore you = those people. :colbert:

(I think I'm probably one of the only goons to ever hear TT's voice?)

That's loving hilarious though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IIRC Texas charges an extra $2 to renew registration online. Completely worth it, it takes a whole 2 minutes to renew, and you get a new sticker in the mail a week or two later. Though if they can't verify that you're insured through their magical e-verify, you might have to scan your insurance card and attach it.

You can also renew your drivers license online - every other renewal anyway. Since my last renewal (in 2010) was online, I have to do the next one in person (next year) so they can take a new photo. They just reuse your old photo when you renew online, so my license has a photo from 2004 on it. I look nothing like that photo anymore (weigh a lot less, 1 less chin, much shorter hair, gaping maws in my earlobes, etc).

Slept way in today (day off) - just checked my voicemail. Service advisor at the Chevy dealer looked up the special coverage bulletin I told him about, he's pretty certain GM will cover everything. Awesome. Just need to get the car in. Of course I didn't check my voicemail until after he went home for the day.

InitialDave posted:

Grrr, I forgot my insurance renewal is tomorrow, and as is always the case, they want to charge me about 20% more than generic online quotes. Including their own. Will call them up and ask them if they fancy realigning themselves.

I'm honestly glad my last renewal quote was so high - it shocked me into shopping around again. A couple of hours of work knocked it down by $400/year, and I'm still with a major carrier. The online quote originally had it down by $100/year, but since my credit reports show an identity theft, I had to call them to get the policy started. The lady I talked to managed to take the other $300/year off by tweaking a few things (somehow it's cheaper to have higher liability limits? :confused:).

I can total someone's average Lexus now and still be covered. Still hosed if I smack a Mercedes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

Oh, it's really not bad, it's just the same as last year, and I reckon they can cut it down a bit.

I did make a claim for a windscreen replacement, but I don't know how that factors in. I'll call them in the morning and see what they have to say.

We effectively don't have liability limits here. I think that nominally it's probably on the books at something like £20m, but if you did manage something that impressive, I think they would still have to pay out.

20m. :stonk:

I'm good for up to $100k... total. And since we have split limits in TX, only some of it can be allocated towards property damage (I think it's 50k with this policy?). I think I previously had 25k for property damage... which is insanely low given how much cars cost now. I could max out the 25k if I wiped out a brand new Ford Fiesta that was optioned out nicely.

Actually if I manage to total someone else's car, there's likely going to be a large medical bill attached, so anything more than a light tap will still get expensive. I did $0 in damage to someone's car giving them a tap when they stopped short several years ago, but my insurance still paid out almost $5k for an ambulance, ER visit, "pain and suffering", etc. I tapped them doing <5 mph, left no mark on their car, but wound up with ~$3k in damage to mine (clipped them with the corner of my front bumper, where there's no metal beam..) No, I'm not still pissed off about that, why do you ask?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not enough pussy on this page.

This fucker is starting to look really round around his midsection (kind of like me). He was 10 pounds when I got him. 15 now. :catstare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

That makes sense. We do owe on it, we bought it on payments because the CU offered 2% APR.

My last insurance company (USAA) refused to pay anyone except a body shop for repair work as long as the car had a lien on it.

My CU refused to refinance my car. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp. My car COULD be in the shop getting fixed right now. For free, on GM's dime. Instead my boss calls me on my day off and demands I go in.

.... turns out he did that so he wouldn't have to go in himself. I had to borrow mom's car, since mine has replaced the top of the gas tank with a lawn sprinkler that sprays gasoline everywhere (also known as "broken rear end fuel pump")..

The next open appointment the dealer has is Saturday. Hope he likes not having an opener for the rest of the week. :byewhore:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The best part is, states set acceptable minimum liability coverage, and a lot of those numbers haven't changed in at least as long as I've been driving. Arizona's are, of course, some of the lowest - minimum legal coverage will get you $15k bodily injury per person, up to $30k bodily injury total, and only $10k in property damage. Ruin someone's day who has a decent used car and you've still exhausted your insurance coverage.

Texas, AFAIK, has raised minimums once since I've had a drivers license (I got my license when I was 15, I turn 37 next month) - and I know I'm older than a good chunk of the people in here. This is why I always tell people to carry UM/UIM (uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage) - you're hosed otherwise if someone with state minimums (a huge chunk of people on the road) taps you. It's dirt cheap and has a mandatory $250 deductible.

I had a coworker who had not one, but both of his cars taken out by someone with no insurance at the same time. Drunk driver ran a red light, hit him, then spun into his wife's car (she was following him to drop off one of their cars at a shop). No insurance. No UM/UIM. Got hosed sideways, still owes money on one of the cars. He only had liability and comprehensive (on a car you still owe on, wtf?!).

Geoj posted:

On the US market you can't really discuss coverage that high without cost coming into the picture. Most US auto insurers don't even offer policies with coverage above $500,000, and the cost for half a million in coverage is going to bankrupt someone who delivers pizza for a living.

You ain't kidding. Every insurance company specifically excludes coverage if the car is being driven "for profit" (examples given: newspaper delivery and pizza delivery). Even just calling your insurance company and asking about getting covered for that kind of stuff is risking getting dropped. And as I learned years ago, they still try to find any reason to drop you when something does happen if they find out you work for a pizza place, even in a managerial role. Progressive was calling corporate, my boss, district manager, etc repeatedly to find out if I was on the clock when I got sideswiped in a hit and run, and they only authorized a rental car for a week (repairs to my car took 3 weeks).

mariooncrack posted:

What Samsung phone do you have/had? Personally, when it comes to Android, pure Android like on a Nexus phone or bust.

I'm annoyed enough with Android that even on a Nexus, I'm getting really loving annoyed. Especially with battery life. I don't even make it through half a shift at work before it's completely dead. I know the battery is worn out, but I'm at the point where I'm carrying a 10,000 mAh battery pack with me. That sucker takes a good 12+ hours to charge from dead.

I don't know why Android 5.x is so horrific with battery life; on KitKat I could get through the entire day without a charge. I can't even keep the drat thing in my pocket all day (only touching it while eating or taking a poo poo) without it dying now, it loses roughly 6-10% per hour.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

At the moment, my phone has been off the charger for right at an hour and a half. It's sitting a little above 90%.

It shows Android OS and Screen on the battery page. Nothing else. Both show 1%. About an hour ago I took a crap and, like a lot of people today, took my phone with me instead of looking for a magazine. That's the only use it's seen since it's been unplugged - a few minutes of reading the news on the shitter. Screen time is less than 2 minutes.

8% loss in an hour and a half to read the news for less than 2 minutes.

CM was far worse than the ROM I'm using now in terms of both responsiveness and battery life, though the ROM (Cataclysm) is loosely based on CM. Stock ROM is up there with CM in terms of (lack of) battery life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

I think CM uses the stock kernel. Have you tried using a custom kernel? That helped out a bit too.

CM forked from the normal Android tree about a year ago. There's now AOSP kernels and CM kernels (and ROMs), and of course, they're not compatible, in that you can't use a CM kernel with an AOSP ROM.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So, I feel loving terrible.

I know this is from an AI goon. I know it was someone I used to have as a Bookface friend. But I did the great Facebook Cleansing of 2015 and removed over 100 people from my Facebook (I think that number is closer to 200). I know I chatted with a goon at some point about this stuff.

I had some nice computer stuff show up via UPS (networking + storage). I know it's from a goon, I know it's an AI goon, I just don't remember which goon sent this stuff. :saddowns: Probably safe to assume I was drunk during the talk that resulted in this stuff showing up.

So uh, MH from OR, send me a PM or hit me up on Facebook so I can thank you (and discuss if I ever paid you properly). I know we were friends on Facebook at one time, I've sent you a friend request, so you should be able to see my profile (which is normally hidden).

Seriously, I feel like a loving idiot for not knowing who sent this, especially because I can't thank them and only recall the slightest memory of a conversation about this stuff. I do remember some kind of convo about it, but damned if I can remember anything beyond that. :smith:

e: mention what you sent if you send me a PM on the forums, just so I know you're the right person.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd love to own the Nexus 6, but the price to actually buy it is horrible compared to any other Nexus device.

T-Mobile keeps trying to get me to switch to a postpaid plan, but (a) my plan is now $80/mo instead of $70, I'm currently grandfathered on the $70 plan; and (b) it won't be all-inclusive. My rate is $70, including taxes/fees, I only have to pay sales tax on refills (and since I buy them from out of state, I don't even pay taxes, just a small surcharge). The only benefit to switching to postpaid is I could use T-Mobile's financing for a new phone, but my Nexus 5 works. I can't justify an extra ~$30/month for the next 2-3 years, and that's before even factoring in the extra taxes/fees that going to postpaid would involve.

e: my phone literally gets (download) speeds that blow away my home fiber internet - I've whacked over 100mbit on the phone on a speed test more than a few times (home is 50/50 at the moment, phone usually hits 100/20 or so). If I lived alone, I wouldn't even bother with an ISP, I have enough poo poo on my phone to hide tethering. And I use a ton of data before you count tethering.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

Keeping with phone chat: I've had my Nexus 4 since they first came out and it has been the best phone I had since my Nokia 6100. It's starting to show it's age now and android 5.1.1 is making it crash and go non-responsive more than it used to so I think it's time to get a new phone. The Nexus 6 is too loving big, and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S6 and just putting a stock rom or something on it. Anybody want to recommend anything else?

Nexus 5? It's dirt cheap now (less than $200 if you look around), spec wise it's on par with a S5. Fantastic hardware in it.

mafoose posted:

Hey STR, I'm pretty sure it was the spyder.

Thank you sir. Got a PM from someone else saying the same, and spyder also sent me a message on facebook to clear things up. Left me seriously confused for awhile for sure, I was wondering if I'd sleepwalked my way into a sleazy motel and was now receiving payment. v:v:v

(thank you spyder, much [not completely gay] love)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

I'm going somewhere remote, no towns within about 100km, small propane refrigerator, etc. for a while.

Guy I know (well known local photographer) just bought some land in Colorado. It sounds like he'll use it as his own campground for awhile until the town says "poo poo or get off the toilet".

.... completely loving jealous. Bought land in CO? check. Legal marijuana? gently caress YES. Small liberal town in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, that won't try to kill me for being gay? :fap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Only took 2 days to get the service advisor to call me back. :rolleyes: Saturd is dropped off though, and hopefully it'll get fixed by GM. I hope anyway, and hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow evening (if not, I'll probably have it back on Monday). It's leaking enough that I was getting a headache every time I got in the car, and couldn't handle putting the a/c on recirculate.

I made sure to drop it off with 1/8 of a tank of gas. Should be enough for them to figure out what's up, fix it, and make sure it's not pissing everywhere anymore, without having to add anything. I've had to drop a gas tank myself before, I didn't want to gently caress over the guy(s) working on it by dropping it off with "need to drop fuel tank" and "full tank of fuel". I feel bad about how trashed it is (interior) at the moment, but it's not hoarder trashed, just "pizza guy hasn't cleaned out all of the receipts in a week" trashed (well, that borders on hoarder trashed...)

Oh yeah. Boss got an ER ride to a hospital today. Started having chest pains yesterday, got really bad today. Thankfully it's not heart related, but when I texted him to see how he was doing, his answer was "why were you late today? Call me next time." (I walked in 4 minutes late...). :fuckoff: If it's stress related, all I can say is he did it to himself, he turns multiple shades of purple depending how pissed off he is.

I'm honestly proud of our new shift manager. She's in her early to mid 20s, just got promoted from cook about a week or two ago (officially). She's on parole for a pretty ugly drug charge, did a decent amount of time in state prison over it, but every time I see her she's busting her rear end, and she really stepped up to the plate today. This was her first open without the GM, and she handled it like she'd been doing it for years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 11, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When you smoke as much weed as you do, everything is funny. :2bong:

.... I need to figure out where my vape is, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The original 1.9L Saturns. They seem to be finally shuffling off this mortal coil en masse, which I'm sure is more to do with people not knowing how they all loving burn oil and eventually killing them that way.

One of my coworkers has a 97 SL1 with close to 300k on it.

Nothing on it works except for the radio, lights, brakes, and wipers - basically the bare minimums to drive. I don't even know if the heater works (... as if we need heat here), but the a/c definitely doesn't. I feel bad for him while he's driving it since he's the only person who doesn't have a/c at the store (even the guy in the 1987 Oldsmobile has ice cold a/c, and the Olds has Flintstone floorpans - I know it's not as hot as AZ here, but it's humid enough that you'd wish you lived in AZ if you had a car without working a/c), but it's paid off, it has 4 tires, and it moves under its own power. My car currently lacks two of those (hopefully one will be fixed tomorrow).

Doesn't smoke once it's warm, but he has to add a quart a couple of times a month.

A former coworker had a 01 SL1 with far over 300k. Smoked anytime she accelerated, but not while cruising - her brother may or may not be a certified emissions tech for the state, and may or may not have gotten it through emissions multiple times with a laughable number of faults stored in the ECU. Her brother made sure the steering, brakes, and a/c all worked like the car was brand new, and that it was safe to drive. Also made sure she knew how important it was to check the oil. I drove it several times as well (she and I used to go out and drink after work pretty often, and I lived literally walking distance from work [and the bar we usually went to] at the time - she had a key to my place as well, it was always a "wtf?" when I'd wake up to a severely hungover female in bed next to me), and it drove like a car with 50k. Clutch, brakes, steering all felt brand new. Every time I got in the car with her, she checked the oil, which seemed excessive to me until she schooled me about the 1.9's appetite for oil. She'd be a good member of AI, actually, she had an obscene amount of car knowledge. Wish I hadn't lost touch with her when I switched jobs.

A (different) friend's mom got her a a SL2 with ~50k a long time ago, and said friend killed it around 65k. Her mom bought the car for her, and her mom insisted nobody except the dealer could ever open the hood (this was before Saturn was killed off by GM). She killed it by refusing to let anyone check the oil, even when the oil light lit up going down the highway. I'm honestly shocked how long that thing ran, I lived with her for awhile and was amazed it could move under its own power with the noises it was making. I'd never heard something rattle so bad and keep moving that didn't have "Jeep" and "4.0" involved, and the drat thing kept on going for well over 6 months while knocking away.

tl;dr Keep oil in them and they really do run forever, even if they're belching half a quart of oil out of the exhaust every time you drive them..... especially with the 5 speed manual - they're dead simple cars to work on for the most part, and parts availability is still good.

e: gently caress, beaten

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 11, 2015

• Locked thread