Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Does he have polio or something? Stand up, bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wow those twitter trolls sure are showing Raheem whats what

BBC posted:

Twitter trolls who posted abusive messages directed at the daughter of England footballer Raheem Sterling are being investigated by police.

Officers are analysing the posts, sent after it was reported the Liverpool player was on the verge of a £49m transfer to Manchester City.

One user told Sterling to hug his daughter before appearing to make threats against her.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said the language used was "abhorrent".

"We are taking the incident extremely seriously and an investigation by detectives in Liverpool CID is on-going," he said.

Another user posted further references to Sterling's daughter along with racist comments.

Many of the tweets have since been deleted.

But several concerned Twitter users took screen-grabs of the posts and urged Merseyside Police to investigate.

The force spokesman added: "People who use the internet to target others and who commit criminal offences such as harassment or hate crime are not beyond the law and can expect to be brought to justice."

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

pik_d posted:

Wow those twitter trolls sure are showing Raheem whats what
they'll never catch me

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's pretty baffling to me that people would be so angry as to send death threats against a literal toddler over something that really has no bearing on their lives.

Then again these people probably did so under their real names so we're not exactly dealing with scholars here.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's pretty baffling to me that people would be so angry as to send death threats against a literal toddler over something that really has no bearing on their lives.

Then again these people probably did so under their real names so we're not exactly dealing with scholars here.

It's more baffling that a country would send people to jail over what they drunkenly posted online. Thats some real crazy.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

meat CRime posted:

It's more baffling that a country would send people to jail over what they drunkenly posted online. Thats some real crazy.

No one cares about poors.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://news.arseblog.com/2015/07/arsenal-make-further-backroom-addition/

:laffo:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Footballers are manchildren and should not be trusted with anything more complicated than kicking a ball without seriously harming themselves around the house. A good signing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If it makes such a difference how come Jonjo Shelvey is slow as poo poo?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spangly A posted:

Footballers are manchildren and should not be trusted with anything more complicated than kicking a ball without seriously harming themselves around the house. A good signing.

I googled for stupid footballer injuries and got a pretty good list here

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/15/football-freak-injuries-broadfoot-egg

quote:

Rio Ferdinand During his spell at Leeds, the England defender managed to pick up a tendon strain in his knee watching television. Ferdinand had his foot up on a coffee table for a number of hours and ended up injured.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

I googled for stupid footballer injuries and got a pretty good list here

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/15/football-freak-injuries-broadfoot-egg

This is the best one:

quote:

Darius Vassell The then Aston Villa striker missed several games after he drilled through his toe nail with a home power drill thinking it would relieve the pressure on a swollen toe. The attempt at DIY surgery succeeded only in giving the toe an infection which required medical attention.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I think this is a joke?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

blue footed boobie posted:

I think this is a joke?

Do you think you can get a degree in Torso Aerodynamics?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I think this is a joke?

It is

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jyrka posted:

Do you think you can get a degree in Torso Aerodynamics?

I do not, but Ninpo seemed to think it was serious.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I do not, but Ninpo seemed to think it was serious.

:ughh:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

No, you thought it was a serious post.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

No, you thought it was a serious post.

Ok then :thumbsup:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

Ok then :thumbsup:

You'll never recover from this.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

It can be almost impossible to tell who's trolling and who's serious around here but I'm going to make the terrible mistake of giving Ninpo the benefit of the doubt on this one.

That said, James Haycock did leave huddersfield to join Arsenal so at least that part is true.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
I'm going to do the opposite as that article, when taken in the context of a joke, isn't particularly funny or interesting. Ninpo you were duped, son.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That article was close to plausible if they had said the degree was from some poo poo fly by night academy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The article wasn't funny so either Ninpo was duped or he laughs at unfunny poo poo. Either way thanks for sharing a lovely article

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

The article wasn't funny so either Ninpo was duped or he laughs at unfunny poo poo. Either way thanks for sharing a lovely article

Well I'm laughing at your post so I guess that clears up that mystery

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

brutal

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Fabian Delph, on loyalty

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Good article on how ocd Garry Monk is about pre-season fitness:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/21/swansea-city-garry-monk-pre-season-fitness

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fartlek

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Balotelli trolling Liverpool fans about Sterling

"support him Like you always did .He gave everything to this club and respect it so im sad to see this.YNWA ,Liverpool is a family ALWAYS"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable response.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable response.

Everything Balotelli touches turns into a controversy. If he was an actor or a musician or an artist, it'd be an invaluable gift.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Swansea City FC ‏@SwansOfficial 35 mins35 minutes ago
10: GOAL! Trialist!

Swansea's u21s are beating ADO Den Haag. The Trialist twins running the show.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

This was very informative, thanks for posting it. I didn't know just how much goes into preparing a team, even in preseason. I liked the anecdote from the 70's about why the senior players wore trackpants instead of shorts during team runs because it really highlights how much has changed. Having so much data gathered from all their players must be daunting to correlate, but could give an edge that would never have been found before. Naturally it would all be for naught if your players are poo poo to begin with. It would be interesting to see similar write-ups for the other PL teams, though I doubt most would be as accommodating as Swansea was. I like Monk and hope Swansea do well again this season.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ragle posted:

Balotelli trolling Liverpool fans about Sterling

"support him Like you always did .He gave everything to this club and respect it so im sad to see this.YNWA ,Liverpool is a family ALWAYS"

Balotelli is a good lad who means well. Still love that guy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shoren posted:

This was very informative, thanks for posting it. I didn't know just how much goes into preparing a team, even in preseason. I liked the anecdote from the 70's about why the senior players wore trackpants instead of shorts during team runs because it really highlights how much has changed. Having so much data gathered from all their players must be daunting to correlate, but could give an edge that would never have been found before. Naturally it would all be for naught if your players are poo poo to begin with. It would be interesting to see similar write-ups for the other PL teams, though I doubt most would be as accommodating as Swansea was. I like Monk and hope Swansea do well again this season.

When Swansea first got promoted, the players trained in a local gym as there were no private facilities. Ashley Williams would get feedback/abuse after his Saturday games from locals on the treadmill on a Sunday morning. The training infrastructure has been far below even Championship/League One teams until very recently.

They've trialled these inflatable sleep pods for the first time this summer. Man United have a hotel built on the training ground for the same purpose.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Manchester City in first again yet

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
If you make the "end the season now please" joke about the table before the season starts then you're a oval office.

Edit: well I mean you're probably an Arsenal fan in that case so that goes without saying but please try to resist in any case

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Abu Dave posted:

Is Manchester City in first again yet

Arsenal, Villa close behind.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
so Leeds United fans went to Austria...

https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/623736316757471233

Adbot