Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It’s a glorious day in America, which means it’s a glorious day for a new USPOL thread in the land of

MANDATORY GAY MARRIAGE.

Yes, gay marriage. Obamacare. Redistricting. Removing the Confederate flag from public discourse. It’s been a surprisingly good month for everyone here in America, which naturally means Republicans are fuming. Oh well, that just means there’s more to talk about, as Republicans continue to say the darnedest things…

114th Congress Bingo Card

As we sail into the lazy days of summer, putting the 2014-2015 SCOTUS term behind us, it’s worth a fresh look at what the 114th Congress has been up to over the past month, and what lies ahead.

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

The Clinton scandals have been pretty light this month, but hey, did you hear about how Hillary didn’t turn over all her Libya e-mails? Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) is concerned, and wants to expand his committee’s hearings to cover how we got into Libya in the first place! Perhaps Hillary was unduly influenced by that scoundrel Sid Blumenthal! If so, it should be obvious why you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

On the other hand, those first two threads have moved to RSF for the time being so you may feel more comfortable here given the shitposting at the moment.

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
There was a South thread, too, but it's been dead since last July.

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

By the by, I don't have a clue what's the deal with my avatar. Some guy got pissy about gay marriage or something when the ruling came out and failed to make a good red text avatar apparently. :iiam:

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The redistricting ruling was favorable?

That's maybe the most surprising thing about this entire Supreme Court term.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

The Clinton scandals have been pretty light this month, but hey, did you hear about how Hillary didn’t turn over all her Libya e-mails? Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) is concerned, and wants to expand his committee’s hearings to cover how we got into Libya in the first place! Perhaps Hillary was unduly influenced by that scoundrel Sid Blumenthal! If so, it should be obvious why you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

I cannot recall what these hearings were actually supposed to be about at this point, but that's really the point, isn't it? Whitewater ended up being a completely unrelated sex scandal. The desperation with which they are trying to get us to care about state department emails is even more funny given that they seem to actually care themselves, against all reason. Trying to summarize the entire email thing is a good sedative.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

when you refuse to stand for the pledge, people's reactions remind you that the US is a cult.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Still trying to wrap my head around Rand Paul meeting with Bundy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ufarn posted:

I thought all the Republican politicians scurried away from him when he started talking about black people and slavery.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This anti-Christian crime wave is starting to get out of hand. This was the Mount Zion AME church in Greeleyville, SC last night.

The good news: it wasn't a Little Caesar's or a CVS. #blessed

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
David Axelrod in June 2015 had no idea about the Clinton email server.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRdR1Rlo4E&t=70s

In June 2009 he sent her an email.

John Podesta (then at CAP), Rahm Emanuel (when he was Chief of Staff), and Lanny Davis (then and always being terrible) also show up in the email dump.

As does D&D favorite Mark Penn. She forwards his suggestion to staff, telling them to "overlook the source". :sweatdrop:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning,

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning,

Great av/post combo right there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here's someone who is 44 trying to work out a fax machine.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
If anyone here can explain "freaky monkey," I'd much appreciate it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's freedom of Fried Chicken, not freedom from Fried Chicken.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

I dunno but I do know that that comic is missing the statue of liberty.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

RaySmuckles posted:

If you have to ask, you can't afford it :wmwink:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Phone posted:

It's freedom of Fried Chicken, not freedom from Fried Chicken.

Freedom Chicken. :911:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Joementum posted:

As does D&D favorite Mark Penn. She forwards his suggestion to staff, telling them to "overlook the source". :sweatdrop:

What does this mean aside from the fact that ugh Mark Penn?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New CNN poll.

quote:

Bush stands at 19%, up from 13% in May -- and his best showing in CNN/ORC polling since December. Trump follows at 12%, up from 3% before his announcement. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (8%), neurosurgeon Ben Carson (7%) and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (7%) round out the top five.

Notably absent from this top five -- though statistically speaking not far behind -- are Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (6%, down from 14% in May) and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (6%, down slightly from 10%). Both had been top five candidates in each of the last two CNN/ORC polls, and Walker had been in the top five since February.

The poll, conducted just before New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie formally launched his campaign with a rally in Livingston, New Jersey, on Tuesday, also finds that Christie begins his push for the presidency with just 3% support.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton continues to hold all the cards. Nationally, she leads all other candidates by more than 40 points, with 57% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents behind her, 16% backing Vice President Joe Biden, 14% Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, 2% Jim Webb and 1% or less for former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley and former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Looking ahead to the general election, Clinton continues to hold significant leads over Bush (54% Clinton to 41% Bush) and Christie (56% Clinton to 37% Christie). She has also opened up wide leads over Rubio (56% Clinton to 39% Rubio) and Walker (57% Clinton to 38% Walker), as those two have slipped among independents. Clinton's clearest advantage, however, is over Donald Trump, 59% say they would vote for Clinton if the 2016 match-up were between her and Trump, 34% say they would back Trump.

Lol at 12% of GOP voters going for Trump.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ufarn posted:

Despite all his attempts to brand himself as a friend of minorities, he keeps doing things like this which belie his deep contempt for them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Beamed posted:

What does this mean aside from the fact that ugh Mark Penn?
I think it's that even Hillary thinks 'ugh Mark Penn', by not including him in cc on the forward, and explicitly telling her staff to "overlook the source".

zoux posted:

New CNN poll.

I like how Walker loses nearly half of his support, and that's "down slightly".

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Is Biden even running? Is he just coasting on name recognition and confused poll takers alone?

e: ah, visiting all the states and not officially announcing. Here's to another 8 years of Biden in national politics!

fosborb fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 1, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fosborb posted:

Is Biden even running? Is he just coasting on name recognition and confused poll takers alone?

e: ah, visiting all the states and not officially announcing. Here's to another 8 years of Biden in national politics!

Diamond Joe supports Big Ice Cream.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean those polls are pretty useless until January at best. But it is odd that Rubio and Walker fell off. Although Walker is going to announce soon so I figure that may change.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Biden has been photographed at every little mom and pop ice cream shop in my city.

His competition is a franchise-loving scrub

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

fosborb posted:

Biden has been photographed at every little mom and pop ice cream shop in my city.

His competition is a franchise-loving scrub

Why does Chuck Grassley love down-low sex at Dairy Queens?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Blizzard-adjacent.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AsInHowe posted:

Don't you?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

zoux posted:

New CNN poll.

Am I the only one who kind of wants Trump to weather the primary so he can get absolutely crushed in the general? I want to see him throw a temper tantrum in the middle of a presidential debate on live TV then threaten to sue anyone who shows the clip.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While that would be funny, it's kind of a thing recently with GOP primaries that whoever announces starts with inflated as hell poll numbers. Well, except Chris Christie. The point is, I would be surprised to see Trump pull more than five percent a month from now.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

DeathSandwich posted:

Am I the only one who kind of wants Trump to weather the primary so he can get absolutely crushed in the general? I want to see him throw a temper tantrum in the middle of a presidential debate on live TV then threaten to sue anyone who shows the clip.

Wasn't 8 years of Dubya enough for you?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DeathSandwich posted:

No. DNC Statement on Donald Trump 2016 Announcement:

Today, Donald Trump became the second major Republican candidate to announce for president in two days. He adds some much-needed seriousness that has previously been lacking from the GOP field, and we look forward to hearing more about his ideas for the nation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I cannot recall what these hearings were actually supposed to be about at this point, but that's really the point, isn't it?

The point is to find something, anything, to use against Hillary in the general. If that means shifting from Benghazi to her cheerleading that got us into Libya, well, who is Boehner to stop him? As far as he's concerned, at least Gowdy isn't Issa.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Hell no ride that hair all the way to November 2016! It'd be hilarious to watch all the GOP jump onto a train bound for a cliff.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So any chance the House takes up the Ex-Im Bank when they get back or what?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doubt it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eagerly awaiting Bush v Clinton version 2.

I'd love to see Sanders vs anybody, but you know, never gonna happen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solkanar512 posted:

So any chance the House takes up the Ex-Im Bank when they get back or what?

Does the Ex-Im bank have anything to do with:

- Abortions
- Healthcare
- The Gays

If you answered "no" to all of those questions, then the chance that the House takes up the matter is zero.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's going to be Hillaryous if all of the Clinton emails are this mundane.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So what's going on with the right wing suddenly deciding that they hate the Import-Export Bank? Helping businesses facilitate trade seems like something that they'd normally be all for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zeroisanumber posted:

So what's going on with the right wing suddenly deciding that they hate the Import-Export Bank? Helping businesses facilitate trade seems like something that they'd normally be all for.

The President is black.

• Locked thread