Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New CNN poll.

quote:

Bush stands at 19%, up from 13% in May -- and his best showing in CNN/ORC polling since December. Trump follows at 12%, up from 3% before his announcement. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (8%), neurosurgeon Ben Carson (7%) and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (7%) round out the top five.

Notably absent from this top five -- though statistically speaking not far behind -- are Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (6%, down from 14% in May) and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (6%, down slightly from 10%). Both had been top five candidates in each of the last two CNN/ORC polls, and Walker had been in the top five since February.

The poll, conducted just before New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie formally launched his campaign with a rally in Livingston, New Jersey, on Tuesday, also finds that Christie begins his push for the presidency with just 3% support.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton continues to hold all the cards. Nationally, she leads all other candidates by more than 40 points, with 57% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents behind her, 16% backing Vice President Joe Biden, 14% Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, 2% Jim Webb and 1% or less for former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley and former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Looking ahead to the general election, Clinton continues to hold significant leads over Bush (54% Clinton to 41% Bush) and Christie (56% Clinton to 37% Christie). She has also opened up wide leads over Rubio (56% Clinton to 39% Rubio) and Walker (57% Clinton to 38% Walker), as those two have slipped among independents. Clinton's clearest advantage, however, is over Donald Trump, 59% say they would vote for Clinton if the 2016 match-up were between her and Trump, 34% say they would back Trump.

Lol at 12% of GOP voters going for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Why does Chuck Grassley love down-low sex at Dairy Queens?

Blizzard-adjacent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While that would be funny, it's kind of a thing recently with GOP primaries that whoever announces starts with inflated as hell poll numbers. Well, except Chris Christie. The point is, I would be surprised to see Trump pull more than five percent a month from now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Federal officials are investigating all these church fires, correct?

Do they have breakouts for minority vs white churches?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The blood on my shirt is nothing compared to the Southern blood that runs through my veins.

It's the same blood idiot. Hard to make a compelling and lofty rhetorical flourish when you're wearing a Realtree ballcap.

*Pericles steps before the Athenian Assembly. He adjusts his blaze orange hunting vest. The crowd falls silent*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somebody is doing the raping, Don, I mean, you know -- I mean, somebody's doing it. You think it's women being raped, well who is doing the raping? Who is doing the raping? I mean how can you say such a thing.

I summon the soul of Richard Nixon, Joementum, to tell us if there is a more objectively disastrous presidential campaign rollout than Donald Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if her staff calls her "H" in person. I mean in the most casual of circumstances when they aren't calling her Madam Secretary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

It doesn't help that a lot of people, like my grandfather, buy into this bullshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Last I heard immigration was more or less flat and a lot of the illegals here have actually been going back on their own.

...does kind of say a lot about America, doesn't it?

That's just because all the border crossings are choked with ISIS sleeper agents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BsFMI4gnJY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

You two are overestimating his involvement in that clothing line, which was probably limited to approving a contract that someone else had negotiated to just stick his name on some existing thing.

It's ironic, you see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Just saw a newsflash from NBCNews that Serta has separated from Trump.

Serta, the mattress people. ... He had a mattress line or something?

I thought he slept on a pile of money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

I probably wouldn't because I don't like hating Muslims or Native Americans.

Yeah the US sure doesn't hate Muslims or Indians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

They didn't argue that the genocide of the natives didn't count because it wasn't against the law at the time.

Haha go ask a Republican why it's fine that we killed literally millions of Indians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

"Hey black people, white people could easily rule over you without your consent for 50 years." ~A man running for American president

I mean, he's right. And actually it was more like 250 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In her ongoing campaign to utterly troll the poo poo out of the media, Hillary is now being protected by two staffers carrying a rope in front of her.

Reporters threaten to ball up their widdle fists and hold their breaths until Hillary stops being mean to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do these active shooter false alarms even happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

State politicians have such massive inferiority complexes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrow posted:

Sell the roads to private companies which will charge tolls, duh.

Nope. That was Rick Perry's master plan in the mid 2000s and it galvanized an extremely powerful and influential lobby.

Here's what the GOP will do about roads: nothing, because they cannot raise revenue.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Doesn't Texas have this problem?

I remember reading that they will be converting several roads that use to be paved to gravel ones because they refuse to raise taxes to fix roads that have gotten impossible to drive on.

Republicans are literally turning this country into a third world one.

Less than 300 miles of road in the middle of nowhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Other states have paved roads in the middle of nowhere.

Texas has almost twice as many lane miles as the # 2 state, California.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gas tax hikes are another Tea Party non starter. If anyone can figure out how to cover road maintenance and operation without issuing debt, you have a bright future at any number of mobility focused think tanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Privatization and issuing municipal bonds are it, really, if you aren't willing to tax.

People, at least people here, don't want private toll roads. In my experience, transportation funding is the ultimate "we want it but we don't want to pay for it" conservative hypocritical issue there is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Didn't the states' experiments that tried this, go horribly bad.

Part of it is that most of the private companies are foreign entities and so people get all populist about letting Europeans own public projects in the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Indexing the fuel tax to inflation is probably the best, most painless way to pay for transportation funding but then you get opponents sending out TAX RAISER mailers in even numbered years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Massasoit posted:

Normal drinks should be water in the first place. My family has never been a big consumer if pop, and if we had a leftover bottle from a party or something it usually stuck around for months because nobody works drink it.

Water is delicious.

Please. Call it soda, as it is intended.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More insidious is that healthy and fresh foods are also way more expensive than processes high fat high sugar foods, which is why you paradoxically see a higher prevalence of obesity among the poor economic classes, which is probably the first time in human history that poor people are fatter than rich people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm officially labelling Vox as "A Piece of poo poo Rag".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

z0glin Warchief posted:

Holy cow. The whole article is about PEPFAR, the AIDS relief program, and how it outweighs literally every bad thing he did.

Hmm, I'm trying, but somehow I don't really see it.

Yes he did some bad things, but have you considered he did good thing?

The problem is that it's a completely disingenuous headline. I get that clickbait is the new reality but there's a difference between an eyecatching headline and straight up lying to your audience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Holy poo poo. Is she one of ours perhaps?

Nah, that's funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “Florida Governor Jeb Bush is a good man. I’ve held fundraisers for him. He’s exactly the kind of political leader this country needs now and will very much need in the future. He, too, knows how to hang in there. His first shot at Florida’s governorship didn’t work out, but he didn’t give up. He was campaigning the day after his loss. He won the next race in a landslide. He’s bright, tough, and principled. I like the Bush family very much. I believe we could get another president from the Bushes. He may be the one.” ~ Donald Trump, in his book The America We Deserve, published in 2000.

He writes like he talks...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raerlynn posted:

Huh. Holy poo poo, that's huge. Now if we can get other states to follow suit.

Not really, it happens all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yes, since the Supreme Court just ruled that it's legal for you to cut your legislature out of the process entirely (a good plan).

Which only six states do because it's hard to get statehouses to cede the power to gerrymander the gently caress out of congressional maps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Which basically means Texas is never going to be not gerrymandered to hell and back.

Texas has, to my recollection, had every congressional map they've drawn since 1960 challenged in court, lost the case and had to redraw them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

If you're not kidding around that's one hell of a record.

I'm for sure it's since 1980. This spans a time when both Democrats and Republicans have held the statehouse, neither party is better than the other when it comes to hosed up maps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Which is why you really want a non partisan districting committee and keep the legislature out of it.

Yup. Every year here we have some well meaning GOP member offer that exact plan and their argument is "One day the D's are going to be back in power and unless you want to be hosed as bad as we are loving them now, we should do this." Never happens though, the national parties are hella against it, for obvious reasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think we have computers than can do it, but the thing is that you do want some gerrymandering in your congressional maps, to ensure that like constituencies that have similar interests and goals aren't diluted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

Re: gerrymandering, is it too much to hope that we might someday see something at the Federal level that would require independent redistricting commissions in the states? Maybe even with some guidelines/regulations about methods for drawing districts to keep people from getting too crazy with it? I assume this would take a Constitutional amendment, so not likely to ever happen....

You mean would the very majorities created by these maps vote to make them pay way more money and fight way harder to win reelection and risk and likely lose those majorities?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stereotype posted:

Crashes and burns? Or RISES TRIUMPHANTLY TO THE HEAVENS??

https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/07/09/gop-frontrunner-donald-trump/

I don't buy this for a second.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

Trump's ceiling is going to be at 25 points or so. He's only leading now because he's faster to his ceiling than any other candidate. Think Le Pen in the French presidential elections, who can sneak into the second round only to get trounced.

Find me a single other poll where he is leading. That yougov poll is a massive outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I do. I forget where I saw it, but an article made the point that there's a lot of candidates pandering to "the base". Trump is not. He is the base: he is the racist, xenophobic, brash idiot who goes to a tea party rally and sincerely believes Obama was born in Kenya, just with more money and worse hair. He is getting a lot of support because he's saying outright what the people the RNC has been carefully keeping away from microphones actually believe, and because of that he's getting their support.

You may be right, but I'm going to have to see some sharp departures from last week's polling before I believe it.

• Locked thread