Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is singapore as cool as i think it is or not
yes super cool, nearly perfect
no there is a serf underclass
no bcause it is bad for the environment
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
like i have been here a few days and it seems happy and integrated and safe and there is even a big emphasis on sustainability and the environment. public transportation is amazing, food is amazing and diverse. well-maintained parks everywhere. different ethnicities and religions live in relative harmony. their gini coefficient is high among other first-world countries, but the government is actively taking steps to improve it by raising wages and benefits on the bottom while rising taxes at the top.

it's the 7th least-corrupt country according to amnesty international. crime almost doesn't exist

for some reason icons and avatars and smilies don't show up on SA so that's weird but other than that this place seems pretty great

so is there a hidden underclass of migrant workers like in dubai, or wtf. i'm sure all their stuff about sustainability and helping save the planet and everything is at least somewhat exaggerated but at least it isn't some doomed shithole rising out of the desert and wasting water in a place where water is rare, or some glitzy bullshit where shiny buildings try to distract you from sprawling slums.

tell me why this place isn't as cool and good as it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spit on the ground out in public and report back.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

univbee posted:

Spit on the ground out in public and report back.

i am glad that it is illegal to spit on the ground. and eat or drink on the metro. or park your bike in the wrong place

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
It sucks because they'll cane me like they do the locals and that is not acceptable.

That said at least it's well loving run.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
full of gooks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i don't think they even sell gum

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
if you like to partake occasionally of the mary-jew-wanna they will straight up kill your rear end

also if you chew gum they will literally beat you publicly, like thats the actual judicial sentence

the best part? you can get a medical waiver... for the gum

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
its like if 3 olives hoa had the power of corporal punishment

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Drug possession is punishable by death. Your country can cry for you and you'll be executed anyway like Indonesia. Hell ya.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

it's not america and im proud to be an american where at least i know im free etc etc singapore more like fuckawhore

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lol at these people that think a serf underclass isn't cool

baw
Nov 5, 2008

whip posted:

Drug possession is punishable by death. Your country can cry for you and you'll be executed anyway like Indonesia. Hell ya.

drug trafficking is death penalty, but possession isn't. still very harsh laws tho

it is definitely not a cool place to go to if you enjoy illegal drugs, but i'm not worried about it

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

baw posted:

drug trafficking is, possession is still dealt with harshly.

it is definitely not a cool place to go to if you enjoy illegal drugs, but i'm not worried about it

bitch rear end bitch

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
if you think feudalism isn't cool it's because you know you'd be a serf instead of a knight

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The scripts of all plays to be performed in Singapore must be vetted in advance by the Media Development Authority (MDA), which has the right to ban any it views as "contrary to the public interest".

lol laws straight out of Japan at the height of its militarization.

Also journalists have less freedom there than they do in Russia. https://index.rsf.org/#!/

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

baw posted:

so is there a hidden underclass of migrant workers like in dubai, or wtf.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2005/12/07/singapore-domestic-workers-suffer-grave-abuses

baw
Nov 5, 2008

univbee posted:

The scripts of all plays to be performed in Singapore must be vetted in advance by the Media Development Authority (MDA), which has the right to ban any it views as "contrary to the public interest".

lol laws straight out of Japan at the height of its militarization.

Also journalists have less freedom there than they do in Russia. https://index.rsf.org/#!/

that's not cool, nor good

that article is ten years old so maybe things are different now

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

baw posted:

that article is ten years old so maybe things are different now
Yeah its heaps different as they get a day off now: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24216611
:shrug:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i wasn't blowing smoke up your rear end about the medical gum chewing certificate btw that's a real thing lol

baw
Nov 5, 2008

trunkh posted:

Yeah its heaps different as they get a day off now: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24216611
:shrug:

i cant see the smiley you used, please describe it to me in precise detail

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Alcohol is incredibly expensive, and some places will make you order something as soon as you come in. Besides that night life is actually not bad. There are some lovely parts of town with poors but nothing you wouldn't see in any other major city.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

They do treat Malaysians about the same way the U.S. treats Mexicans. They get bussed in and work for next to nothing and then bussed back. No Dubai levels of indentured servitude, but it's there.

It's also near impossible to own a car or a condo. Booze is expensive. It's always 85F and 90% humidity. It's really far from the western world (Australia excluded). Most of the local woman look for a guy with the 5 Cs: car, career, condo, cash, and country club.

It's a pretty great place to be when you're making bank. For the average person, it's an average place to live. For the poor, it sucks. Just like America but with more chingy chongy stuff.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

baw posted:

i cant see the smiley you used.
It's just the shrug. Hope that helps.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

No. 6 posted:

5 Cs: car, career, condo, cash, and country club

uh that's six Cs shithead

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
its also fuckin boring and they all have a sense of humor next to torture

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

so is there a hidden underclass of migrant workers like in dubai, or wtf.
Yes, they're Indians and Malays.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Hm what could possibly be wrong with a fascist state that throws journalists in jail

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Singapore is as good as it seems and we would all do well to follow its example.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I watched a youtube of one of their military parades once and it was very elaborate, especially considering they have a population of like 5 million. Like it seems like the real life equivalent of the kind of vaguely sinister future society you'd see in a first person shooter.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

I watched a youtube of one of their military parades once and it was very elaborate, especially considering they have a population of like 5 million. Like it seems like the real life equivalent of the kind of vaguely sinister future society you'd see in a first person shooter.
That is effectively what Singapore is. They have a permanent garrison on the border with Malaysia for the day they turn the water off.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
take a taxi ride to the airport aka a mobile 45 minute right wing diatribe about malaysians

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also if you chew gum they will literally beat you publicly

Good.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhhexjFpGQ

Zizek on gum beating Singapore

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

XMNN posted:

its like if 3 olives hoa had the power of corporal punishment

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its pretty much a city of 3o

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
facism works heil Tony Tan

This post has been approved by the Media Development Authority (MDA)

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

The Chicago-based Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company enlisted the help of a Washington, D.C lobbyist and of Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, then-chairman of the United States House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Trade, to get chewing gum on the agenda of the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement.[5] This caused a dilemma for the Singapore Government. It recognised the health benefits of certain gums, such as a brand of sugar-free gum that contains calcium lactate to strengthen tooth enamel. Sale of this newly categorised medicinal gum was allowed, provided it was sold by a dentist or pharmacist, who must take down the names of buyers.

Soon, the USS-FTA was signed and the ban was revised. "They were tough," Crane said of the talks. Some found it surprising that Wrigley had fought hard on this battle, given the small size of Singapore's chewing market. But the company said it was worth it. "There's many examples in our history of things that may have not made short-term financial sense but was the right thing to do in a philosophical or long-term sense," said Christopher Perille, Wrigley's senior director of corporate communications.

:911:

goatse.cx haver posted:

facism works heil Tony Tan

This post has been approved by the Media Development Authority (MDA)

let the record show that the trains in singapore do in fact run on time

incidentally, vandalism to trains was apparently the impetus for the gum ban

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Singapore is very good as long as you are one of the good sorts of asians, or white.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So pretty loving good, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

trunkh posted:

It's just the shrug. Hope that helps.