Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is singapore as cool as i think it is or not
yes super cool, nearly perfect
no there is a serf underclass
no bcause it is bad for the environment
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sekenr posted:

The whole point of humanity is that we are a part of it I e - not 100 % individualistic like spiders for example. What if an innocent and good person has to be the martyr for the good of the rest? We throw one of our own to torture pit instead of protecting him

Uh, well, we did it with Jesus and it's working out. Cya in heaven homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Food is definitely the best part of Singapore. Even the touristy hawker centers are super cheap and delicious, and if you go to one of the cafeteria-type things in an industrial area (you'll know you're in the right place because there is no english or white folks anywhere to be found) you can get a massive and delicious meal for $1.50. It's also the only country I've been to in Asia where I felt totally comfortable wandering down the street wasted at 2 in the morning. Nightlife in general is fun and good, if you can afford it.

On the other hand, the booze is extremely expensive, forget about owning a car if whoever you work for isn't bankrolling it, rent is likewise ludicrously expensive (less so if you're a native due to subsidies, but even then), most of the labor-type jobs are taken by underpaid Malays, and there's not much to do other than eat. There's also a definite unsettling undertone to the thing, in a "why is everything so clean?" kind of way, like the feeling that if you didn't keep your head down enough you'd probably disappear.

All in all, if you're a white or a kind of asian that they like there I would recommend stopping through for a couple days, and then take the trip to bangkok or KL and have yourself some real fun.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Sekenr posted:

The whole point of humanity is that we are a part of it I e - not 100 % individualistic like spiders for example. What if an innocent and good person has to be the martyr for the good of the rest? We throw one of our own to torture pit instead of protecting him

look let me just tell you about the 10^^^3 motes of dust...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
singapore sucks because you can't ever really let loose and have a good time because you know somewhere in the back of your mind there's something keeping you back lest you break some random drug or environment law and get executed

like you literally risk life and death if you want to smoke a J on the beach; there's no way you can be fully relaxed in that environment.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

uh that's six Cs shithead

gently caress, there's a sixth?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
are cabs in singapore utilized often for organized crime purposes? it's not so much the expense for private vehicles to be the impediment, but the red tape and poo poo that makes a paper trail

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dubai and saudi arabia are much worse.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

No. 6 posted:

gently caress, there's a sixth?

lol

car, career, condo, cash, and country club

Singapore is where all the rich white business owners live in Asia, that alone should be enough to help you make up your mind

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

z0glin Warchief posted:

lol

car, career, condo, cash, and country club

Singapore is where all the rich white business owners live in Asia, that alone should be enough to help you make up your mind

Yeah lots of libertarian bay area techies fled there after whining about the evil of taxes in the United States.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

etalian posted:

Yeah lots of libertarian bay area techies fled there after whining about the evil of taxes in the United States.

with the intermediate step of "dejectedly giving up their dreams of a floating feudal micronation after realizing the logistics were insurmountable and that no women would sign up"

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I live here. It doesn't suck. It doesn't rule either, though. Less good and also (way) less bad than a lot of big American cities.

e: "Here" == Singapore, just for clarification.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
singapore has privatised law enforcement

also when I was in afghanistan there were exactly two guys from the singaporean military there, according to them they represented the entirety of singapore's contribution to the mission, idk if that's correct or not though I just took their word for it

singaporean people have a tendency to end sentences with the word "la" for no reason which can be annoying but sometimes it's cute depending on the person

that's the end of what I know about singapore

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

singapore has privatised law enforcement

also when I was in afghanistan there were exactly two guys from the singaporean military there, according to them they represented the entirety of singapore's contribution to the mission, idk if that's correct or not though I just took their word for it

singaporean people have a tendency to end sentences with the word "la" for no reason which can be annoying but sometimes it's cute depending on the person

that's the end of what I know about singapore

The "lah" thing isn't for no reason. Those stupid words they end the sentences with ("lah", "leh", "meh", "wat") mostly come from Mandarin or various Chinese dialects. The language everyone here speaks is some mishmash of English, Chinese and some Malay so it sounds all hosed up, kinda like Hawaii locals with their Pidgin.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

The "lah" thing isn't for no reason. Those stupid words they end the sentences with ("lah", "leh", "meh", "wat") mostly come from Mandarin or various Chinese dialects. The language everyone here speaks is some mishmash of English, Chinese and some Malay so it sounds all hosed up, kinda like Hawaii locals with their Pidgin.

I'm not totally fluent in mandarin but having some background in it doesn't give me any insight into the la thing

could it be like a cantonese version of "ma"

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

I'm not totally fluent in mandarin but having some background in it doesn't give me any insight into the la thing

could it be like a cantonese version of "ma"

No, they also have "ma". There's a list starting here. I don't really get all the meanings myself and can't reliably use most of them, but they're not usually actual words in the usual sense, more like emphasis or emotion that happen to be in word form rather than tone of voice or whatever.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Pros:
  • Tons of delicious, cheap-rear end food of nearly every variety
  • Cheap, reliable public transportation
  • No crime
  • uh.... a lot of malls?

Cons:
  • No drugs, not even weed, despite the fact that this is the perfect country to have the munchies
  • Booze too expensive
  • Sweltering heat with like 150% humidity
  • Crowded as gently caress
  • Everyone boring as gently caress with no concept of humor or sarcasm or impish mischief
  • Now I'm not racist but... it's full of indians and chinese people. The older generation is especially terrible

So in conclusion Singapore is a land of contrast

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

[*]Now I'm not racist but... it's full of indians and chinese people. The older generation is especially terrible

I am, and Indians are, well, from India, but what's wrong with Chinamen

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

I am, and Indians are, well, from India, but what's wrong with Chinamen

Nothing in principle. The younger people here are all pretty cool. But the 40-and-over generation are a bunch of rude, pushy assholes. Still better than actual China, but C+ could use improvement

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

anchoress posted:

lee kuan yew was right about everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rPofi-AUw

compared to other world leaders this dude is pro tier level

seriously talking about Singapore and trying to find a flaw there is the lowest form of pettiness even for GBS

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Because theyre a bunch of facists op and if I try to remember right we built the loving atomic bomb to deal with those fucks.

So basically we should nuke Singapore.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

Because theyre a bunch of facists op and if I try to remember right we built the loving atomic bomb to deal with those fucks.

facism is natural, some people just have bad faces and should be excluded from society

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Nutsngum posted:

You'd waste a perfectly good nuke to bomb a bunch of shopping malls and noodle stalls?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Seriously though this place is not bad as a city but pretty mediocre as a country. My favorite descriptions include:
"Disneyland with the death penalty" (William Gibson) and "the only shopping mall with a seat in the UN."

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

compared to other world leaders this dude is pro tier level

seriously talking about Singapore and trying to find a flaw there is the lowest form of pettiness even for GBS

Goons supporting a fascist enclave with excellent food options is pretty obvious.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

Goons supporting a fascist enclave with excellent food options is pretty obvious.

fascism is good, hth

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Seriously though this place is not bad as a city but pretty mediocre as a country. My favorite descriptions include:
"Disneyland with the death penalty" (William Gibson) and "the only shopping mall with a seat in the UN."

"mediocre as a country" is pretty good for a 21st century city-state

I mean throw a dart at a spinning globe, provided it doesn't land in an ocean you'll probably hit a shithole

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fascism is good, hth

it's no wonder why techies types were attracted to Singapore

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
See?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Omelette du Fromage posted:

what food does singapore have that's so good

why do people care about the food of some place when geography rarely makes a difference in todays world

as long as you or a restaurant can get the ingredients then you too can have a slightly more or less salty fried rat

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Ramsus posted:

why do people care about the food of some place when geography rarely makes a difference in todays world

as long as you or a restaurant can get the ingredients then you too can have a slightly more or less salty fried rat

But do I get to oppress anybody?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

would zizek like Singapore?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

"mediocre as a country" is pretty good for a 21st century city-state

I mean throw a dart at a spinning globe, provided it doesn't land in an ocean you'll probably hit a shithole

Yeah, agreed. I'd rather live here than any of our neighbors. gently caress Indonesia.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

etalian posted:

would zizek like Singapore?

Dude seems to somehow derive joy from things that are supposed to be mindless and soul crushing so, yeah, probably.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Agag posted:

its less fascist and more communitarian with a nice mandarin meritocracy that has equality under the law in regards to officials not being above the law.

imo its fine

Top City Homo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 4, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
honestly you could go anywhere in the world with enough money and be okay

if you had a decent amount of money, like a million or so, you could set up a decent fiefdom on the outskirts of kandahar.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

honestly you could go anywhere in the world with enough money and be okay

if you had a decent amount of money, like a million or so, you could set up a decent fiefdom on the outskirts of kandahar.

*steps off plane in Democratic Republic of Congo with a suitcase full of money*
Hi, I'd like to settle down here and live the good life. Do you know of any houses for rent?
*gets macheted*

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmbo yes, that's what would happen, but that's why you don't actually go there with a suitcase full of money, you go there with private security and a legal executor and remote access to a bank account

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

*steps off plane in Democratic Republic of Congo with a suitcase full of money*
Hi, I'd like to settle down here and live the good life. Do you know of any houses for rent?
*gets macheted*

You rent a truckload of gunboys before you do business in a place like the Congo. In Singapore the cops will wreck any untermensch who get in your face while you're on your way to buy noodles at the mall, so you don't need to do this. I agree that its a streamlined experience.

Top City Homo posted:

its less fascist and more communitarian with a nice mandarin meritocracy that has equality under the law in regards to officials not being above the law.

imo its fine

Squeaky clean, the Singapore oligarchs.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

You rent a truckload of gunboys before you do business in a place like the Congo.

correct

if you're in the market, I'm available on the cheap

nothing long-term though I have plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Agag posted:

You rent a truckload of gunboys before you do business in a place like the Congo.

I like my idea. It's easier.

• Locked thread