Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Listen on! Listen on! This is the truth of it. Doodles lead to drawing, and drawing gets to painting, and that was drat near the death of us all. Look at us now, busted up and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned! By the dust of them all, Creative Convention learned. Now, when men get to Doodlin', it happens here, and it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

Post apocalyptic blogs for inspiration:
http://post-apo-look.tumblr.com/
http://postapocalypticflimflam.tumblr.com/
http://postapocalyptic-futuristic.tumblr.com/
http://postapocalypticfashion.tumblr.com/

There's a ton of post-apocalyptic art out there to draw inspiration from, so here's some apocalyptic real life locations
Chernobyl Exclusionary zone

Hashima Island, Japan

other abandoned places around the world

Anyway I found out that one of the cancelled Fallout games ("fallout extreme") was going to take place here in the Pacific Northwest and whelp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Because I always strive to incorporate constructive criticism:

dog nougat posted:

Nice. Feels a bit unnatural since there's no reflected colours happening, like the hair would make the skin kinda pinkish/purpley & her hand would have some green highlights.

Edit: also the hair looks tacked on since the shadow that goes up her body ends at her hairline.

Crap posted:

why she topless

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

sorry, i didn't mean that as criticism, but more as general curiosity of intent

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Today I streamed drawing for an hour.

Post-apocalyptic reindeer. I get nervous thinking people are watching :ohdear:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crap posted:

sorry, i didn't mean that as criticism, but more as general curiosity of intent

Oh, well in that case

Because boobs are fun and also the image I was drawing from was topless.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I did a child goblin witch.

I'm torn on whether I should bother inking and coloring it but I think it's pretty cute regardless.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Not a drawing but instead a photoshop composite of gallery work I have seen since living in L.A.

Click here for really, really big.

Great theme this month. :)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 3, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I think you found a good balance between defining shape through lineart/colours here.

Last night, I wanted to do a velociraptor. Someone who liked the "food items on chickens" pics I did for the food theme asked if there could be a burrito on top of it.

Yes. Yes there could.

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Never drew/doodled post apocalyptic before, so had a crack at it:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

60s Twilight Zone marathon is on. No matter how weird real life is.... this is not so bad.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 5, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

doodles

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

"T'was the summer of '92, and the year of my first spine rip..."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I did a quick self-portrait tonight!

Reene fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 5, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Stream tonight

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Slow going on the oil painting but here is a little more progress.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

flaplings

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

lizardsnakelady

I would love some pointers on how to render scales and make the hijab-thing look less horrible.

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

Put down your cheetos and walk away slowly...

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

:neckbeard: I NEED THIS. C'mon science why haven't we got flapling pets yet?

I imagine Poe's raven would've been a very different kinda poem with birds like these.

Rad Elves and magic bunny

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Steam avis for a couple friends of mine. Got tired of staring at pictures of their computers.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
You've seen those "deep dream" google image recognition pictures where the program shows you what it's seeing in a picture, right? And it's so many dogs forever and ever into infinity?
If you're not familiar, here's a ton of them and there's some recognizeable as NSFW even after the mutation.

I tried to draw one.
I liked the idea of drawing, of making an interpretation of an image that's been interpreted by a weird algorithm, from a photo of a sculpture. It's so far removed from the original. Artception!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I love when the weekly drawing event has a once a month painting session. Longer poses makes it easier to paint. I just wish acrylic didn't tear so much. Oils don't seam to have this problem.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Few things from this month so far,

Testing some limits with a javascript library (Leaflet.js!) I put this silly thing together. Bit more coding than drawing, but I drew a lot of cats for it, so I thought ya'll'd appreciate it still.

Show poster...

...recently got hired to draw some text book graphics and had to take advantage of the opportunity to draw some dragons every so often.

And a portrait.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Reene posted:

lizardsnakelady

I would love some pointers on how to render scales and make the hijab-thing look less horrible.

You can go very minimal and still convey the presence of scales:

Or you can go considerably less minimal, but still avoid rendering every detail 100%:

There's a lot of ways you can handle scales. In the end, the best advice is probably the usual: have reference and do studies of actual critters. Experiment and find what works and looks best for you! There's not only so many ways to handle scales, but there are so many varieties of lizards and snakes that it really depends on what you want. I mean, the coral snake study up there has smooth, diamond-shaped scales along the body, but something like a bush viper has more pointed, leaf-like scales.

It's just a tried and true method. v:shobon:v Sorry it's a bit unhelpful to the actual rendering part. That really does depend on what you want, sometimes it is just as simple as some shapes dotted out. Or it can be as overly messy as "put down undercolors, outline shapes, blend shapes inward, erase chunks, just frickin slam the eraser against the tablet repeatedly, etc".

Generally though:
- You can trim a lot of fat and get away with just some clever stippling and/or erasing here and there.
- Try to be conscious of where the drawing stands. eg. you can render lots of/each and every scale if you've got the desire and patience for it, but it's easy to hit the point where all those details end up visually distracting from the whole.
- For real do studies and have references.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

In the terror zone of the future there is only a monster man and his many cats

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

"I do not care for your soft, sweet kisses, feline. This is not a hug. I am not enjoying your purring at all."
I love gruff dudes being adorable with small animals :3:

Moleperson.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
:love: amazing thread

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Slow going on this but I am going to blame it on it being my first oil painting. drat, drying time is a bitch. Also didn't realize that liquin would give it a sheen.

VVV Those are uh-maze-ing !! VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 10, 2015

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Three more stamps.

zombie dude

Guy Fawkes Mask

The Ghostbusters

This is one of my more ambitious efforts. It took nearly 8 hours to carve.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I've been trying to MS Paint along with Bob Ross lately

This last one is from a picture I took when hiking Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Thank you for all of this! I think I did a sort of okay job to convey it in those I just know I could have probably done better. I'll keep these in mind for my next attempt.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

genesplicer posted:

Even more sweet freaking stamps!

OK, I need to know everything about this now. How do you transfer the pics onto the rubber? Is stampin' rubber something I could've been buying as huge slabs all this time? I love stamps! Even more than I love jars! Could I have been making stamps for myself ALL THIS TIME? :supaburn: Tell me your secrets!

Let loose the flying turtles of war.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I did stamps back in school. It's basically rubber glued to a piece of wood, pretty sure you can buy it in any craft store. I had (probably still have) a special little chisel with changeable bits. The way we transferred the image was just to draw it on a piece of tracing paper, then cover it with chalk or charcoal dust, then flip it over upside-down on top of the rubber and trace it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

A lot of people use white art erasers to make stamps too.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Not sure which thread to stick this in, so I'll just do both this once.

Megaspel posted:

The other week I watched a lot of Community and sat on my settee drawing on my new Note 4. Using Clover Paint is really fun and satisfying.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

I like your noses, simple but very clearly show the form. Do you do much life drawing or do you mainly use photos?

• Locked thread