Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Guavanaut posted:

Figures...

There's a lot more in the Pacific Northwest than I'd imagined.

Probably just a bunch of hipsters trying to be ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SedanChair posted:

My favorite thing to do is ask charismatic evangelicals-turned-atheists if they were faking tongues and other "spiritual gifts" like being able to see demons perched on people's shoulders.

Speaking as one, yes.

The pressure to also exhibit the "gifts" is pretty severe. If you don't do it you're like the fat kid in school that gets mocked and ostracized until you lose weight and start playing the team sport.

EDIT: "Discernment" is a neat little catch-all don't have to actually do anything "gift", though, for the people that have to fake it with family members. Just don't do anything stupid and you have it!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zenithe posted:

This is pretty key with the whole tongues deal, especially with kids. I imagine you could get them to do all kinds of craziness if you can get everyone else around to do it, and convince them there is something fundamentally wrong with them if they can't do it. Of course they will speak a few lines of gibberish for social acceptance.

I remember people speaking about discernment, but I never heard of people who claimed to see actual demons around. Is that a predominantly US thing?

Yeah, no, literally seeing demons walking around is still lunatic territory. Discernment is more about God basically helping you avoid making stupid mistakes because people are stupid and can't be intelligent on their own. Or some poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Well I'm not contending that every conception of God is disprovable. But certainly some are, and they are disprovable the same way anything is disprovable: by comparing hypothesis to reality.

Take the version of the Christian God where every statement about him in the Bible is true. This God is impossible. Why? Because 1 Timothy 2:4 says that God wants everyone to be saved, and Ephesians 2:8 says that people are saved through faith, which is a gift from God. God wants all to be saved, and saving them is purely his own doing. Of course, we see in the world that more people than not don't have that "gift of faith". So either the Bible is wrong about faith being a gift, or it's wrong about God wanting all to be saved. Either way, this specific God is disproven.

The thing to keep in mind here is that the Bible itself is the god that Christians in America worship. The actual deity described within it is irrelevant and most of the denominations straight up claim this.

The Bible is The Word and The Word is Jesus Christ. Worship The Word. Etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You seem to be confused about the translation of the word Logos. It's often translated as "The Word", but it's not meant in the manner you're stating.

Take it up with the pastors that literally preach what you quoted, not me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the office Jesus man is currently talking about how there's some prophecy that says that Obama is the last president, and apparently it's because of gay rights :negative:

Ask him when Obama is going to get around to taking everyone's guns, because he's running out of time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wren reporting for duty. Didn't see this thread before now. I wrote my dissertation on women who grew up in modern Christian and Jewish communities and chose fundamentalist ones.

Edit: I also research psychedelic drugs for a living, but I didn't know that was going to come in handy in this thread in particular...

Did the dissertation include anything about how the women that grew up in those communities didn't really get much of a choice in the matter? Because my own experiences with fundamentalists is that they are all about teaching women that they are property and have no free will of their own to do anything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WrenP-Complete posted:

My dissertation is about women who grow up in modern communities and then move to fundamentalist ones, but there's some background on the role of women in each of these communities.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "didn't get much of a choice in the matter" as no children are given free choice about what community they grow up in. Your second sentence makes me think you are talking about what choices women have in a broader way, but I'm not sure what you mean. Please clarify.

The broader sense, or maybe your definition of fundamentalist is too narrow (ha!). Even your nominally "modern" churches (or at least what passes for such in the area I live in) will tell women to keep their mouths shut and not attempt to make decisions on their own, it's not just for hardcore fundamentalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I actually can't think of any major religion that isn't patriarchal. Which isn't that surprising considering all of them were founded and exist within patriarchal societies. Though, in fairness, all of them also have strong movements advocating a more egalitarian view.

Shaktism/Shakti dharma in India, also Shiva in the Hindu pantheon.

• Locked thread