Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MrNemo posted:

These are the meanings of the terms I've come to be familiar with, I'd be interested if someone has some radically different understanding. For some reasons a lot of New atheist types feel the need to co-opt agnosticism as soft atheism, accusing people who hold it of just being cowardly about denying the existence of God when the position is that thinking about whether there's a God is an exercise in futility.

I kinda agree with people who say theism/atheism and gnosticism/agnosticism are answers to completely different question. I mean, sure, if you know something to be true, then it's usually implied that you also believe it to be true, but the reverse is not necessarily so. You could be an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist, or a gnostic theist or gnostic atheist.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Agnosticism is more or less a lack of religious beliefs. Some people thought about it and went "gently caress, I have no idea" and left it at that.

Yeah, no, that's just atheism. If your answer to the question "Do you believe in God?" is anything other than a "Yes", then congrats, you're an atheist. Notice it's not about knowing or not knowing, but accepting the statement as true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

MrNemo posted:

I guess I'd define agnosticism as the rejection of the question itself, the answer to a question isn't always "yes/no".

It is to this one. I guess people have trouble with the word 'believe' sometimes, but it can be rephrased as "Do you accept the statement "God exists" as true" if you want to be spergy about it.

This is not a question about the ultimate reality and truth, this is about your personal evaluation. It's also not a question of what might be possible or plausible. You either buy it, or you don't.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

It's always weird to me to see mission trips going to nominally Christian countries like the Czech Republic or whatever. I guess they're the wrong kind of Christian

I knew a girl in college who went on a 'mission' to, I think, Russia or some former Soviet country, to convert Eastern Orthodox Christians to Roman Catholicism. I don't know if it can get any lazier than this.

• Locked thread