Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hahaha, my grandma does this. She invented a hole new language on the spot to "Cast the demons out of me" when I told her I was an atheist. I've never seen it outside of apostolic megachurches, so I think it's a uniquely American phenomenon. The rest of the world has the whole "doing services in Latin" thing to add their exotic flavor to ceremonies.

Paul actually spends a lot of time writing about "spiritual gifts," which include speaking in tongues and prophecy. Beyond the early Church (as evidenced only by what Paul has to say) and modern Pentecostals, I don't know anything about the history of these practices. But they definitely weren't invented recently, and charismatics are all over Latin America.

He also talks about how people shouldn't speak in tongues in front of the congregation unless someone with the gift of interpretation is present, but no one ever remembers that.

EDIT: Hey, thanks! V

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

To get this thread back to its original topic, how well do these various far-right denominations get along with each other? They obviously share similar views and presumably vote for the same candidates, but do they treat each other with respect, or are they constantly at each other's throats due to small differences in interpreting scripture?

From my experience with members of those denominations, it just depends on the person and the circumstance. The Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention, for example, are both far-right Evangelical organizations with vastly different theologies. But I've never seen any official church statements trashing each other, and they tend to stand together on "big" (read: political) issues. I'm sure if the AG were to start marrying gays, the SBC would drop it like a hot potato. For individual Christians, it's trickier, because it goes beyond the political and into the spiritual. I have a cousin who believes that anyone not in the SBC is going to Hell. I have friends who think that mandatory baptism is ridiculous, and more family arguing that speaking in tongues is of the devil. However, those people would never disrespect each other (face-to-face, anyway), because they have greater struggles to face. Like the Methodists.

• Locked thread